GUN THREAD

Living in Northeastern US where gun laws are out of control and looking to buy my first gun. Every weapon type seems to have gotten cucked except for one, the bolt action. Is it practical? Is ammunition available? (Now or after armageddon) The purpose of the gun is to kill people and animals preferably at range. I understand there is discipline involved with shooting bolt action and I am willing to practice and learn. Best rifles under $2k? What are your arms of choice?

Other urls found in this thread:

springfield-armory.com/products/m1a-national-match/
springfield-armory.com/products/standard-m1a/
budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/719001340/redirect
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minute_and_second_of_arc#Uses
hollandrodandgun.com/22-shootout/
henryusa.com/rifles/u-s-survival-ar-7/
guns.com/2013/02/28/tactical-assault-crossbow-pse-tac15-upper-for-the-ar15-video/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Pic related, looking at Remington model 700. Is it any good? Anything comparable in the price range?

maybe also look at a Springfield m1a
springfield-armory.com/products/m1a-national-match/

go to /k/.

also, if you want to own guns that are actually decent, you need to move. There are a metric fuckton of people from antigun states who do nothing but ask for advice and then bitch when they cant get anything nice because of laws. Don't be one of those people.

Move, or don't bitch. Otherwise you're part of the problem.

A nugget chambered in 7.62x54 can kill a lesser deity at approximately 800 yards if it's sighted properly and the shooter is sufficiently vodka

sry, not the loaded one
springfield-armory.com/products/standard-m1a/

Bolt guns come in tons of calibers

You shouldn't need more than 1 rifle round to kill a human or animal

Savage is a better brand

get a berthier replica

Use a NATO round like .308. Plenty of ammo.

What caliber do you think it would be most cost effective given availability x ability to kill?

>>/k/

How much is 308 per round approx.? I'd like to practice without breaking the bank

Wrong thread nigga

M1A good choice

M1A match + sling + rail + scope + rings will be right around 2-2500 but with practice can get you up to 1k yards.

If you get an M1A and choose to not go the scope route you can load by stripper clip which is amazing if you are using NATO instead of 308.

Fuck Remington, they got bought out by a megacongolmerate and suck ass.

Get a Tikka T3.

Right now is down around 35-40/round which is pretty nice. If you get a mini14 or AR and someone lets you shoot a 308 your life will be endless regret.

BUT MUH R700 WITH RED TIGER CAMO BRUH

Ruger M77 variant.

I'm still trying to update my list of guns. I didn't even realize I had a shitty EIG in this pile. Good thing I'm doing this.

You are painfully stupid. It's called a google search on 1st. The gun laws. 2nd. Guns to buy with your budget.

Since you are dumb get a Ruger Mini 14 they are idiot proof.

Can't anyone buy an AR15 lower and finish it in any state?

Why would I waste my time doing my own research when I can get about 1 million leads and personal advice on here by asking 1 question and downloading an image of a gun? Work smarter not harder.

why not a pump action shotgun?

Hi-Point SSG. School shooter's favorite, what's not to like?

For 2k you can build a damn nice ruger mini 14 or 30

A bolt action is going to seriously disadvantage you in a fire fight

What state do you live in? I'm in NJ and it was a bitch to get my gun permit.

Also, what do you want the gun for? The only place I can go to with my schedule is a local indoor range where I find it much more enjoyable to shoot a pistol as opposed to a rifle. That's why I bought a Colt 1911. I love that fuckin thing

Savage is pretty good. Believe they're cheaper than Remington's as well.

>what's not to like?

It's a shitty hipoint.

I want the gun to kill people and do so before they have the opportunity to kill me. I will probably buy a shotgun eventually but if I could only have 1 gun I'd rather it be a long ranger

I live in MA

Can you not get a good pump action shotgun?
Mossberg 500's are cheap af and if you think the barrel is too long you can get the 18.5" barrel for like 100, bringing the total cost of the shotgun to like 300-400 depending on how much you paid for the Mossy itself. Having two barrels also gives you options, shorter for HD and longer for hunting.

If you're dead set on a rifle, I've heard good things about Tikka.

We'll AR's are classic. Good all around and that sounds like what you want. But for home defense a shotgun will do the job even if you hide around a corner and point it down the hallway blind.

What state do you live in? And why only one gun? I plan on having at least five

Nice lever gun brah, .45-70?

Well, you can also try a pistol grip Mossberg 500.

With ever changing MA legislation, I dont believe the availability of guns will last long past the next 1 0r 2 major shooting incidents. So I too would LIKE to own multiple weapons, but I cant be sure they will be available forever. AR's are completely banned here.

Ok. Go to your local police department and ask them there for what you have to do to get a firearms permit. Even in liberal states like NJ the cops were more than happy to see a citizen get a gun by following the rules, though they can be a bitch. But you have to go through with the bureaucracy and just do it. It's the price we pay in our states.

I had to get two references who knew me over ten years who weren't family, go get my fingerprints done, than wait two weeks (which is actually very good compared to other police departments) and then I was good to go. In Jersey though you have to apply for a pistol permit every time you want to buy one, which I did simultaneously with my firearms application.

>2 references for 10 years, non family
I am 20 years old so what the fuck

Tbh the cops don't even look that much in depth as to whether you knew them for ten years. I'm 26 now so I did happen to know my two buddies for over that time but like I said they won't do an incredible investigation to figure all that out.

And don't worry about the laws in MA, they won't change that fast. I'd say move to PA or some shit if it's that important to you. But if not just buy a nice semi auto rifle in MA. You'll be fine user

Hete we go

We can buy short barreled shotguns, no papers or tax needed, off the shelf in free states.

Worked in firearms retail

Remington is shit since they became part of Freedom Group (might have changed names since) but its a shell companies that owns a few brands and all the brands have issues now.

Tikka is good, Savage still good quality, Mossberg still good quality.

If you're getting a rifle for all around shtf stuff, .308 and maybe 3006 but youre in the NE US so .308 is just fine.

With a decent scope, a Tikka T3 and at the very least a Nikon Prostaff (better off with something nicer, but Prostaffs are banging for the price) you're looking at 1k for a sub MOA gun.

just machine your own lower or buy a gun through a person to person sale

What is Sub MOA?

Get a Garand. I don't think they're banned anywhere.

For your first rifle get a Ruger 10/22. It's economical, good quality and quantity ammo, and the rifle is good quality itself.

The funny thing is that bolt actions are the fucking deadliest weapon there is. Why haven't the government cucks banned them yet? If I was in a combat scenario I'd pick a bolt action with a scope over an automatic weapon any day.

Howa 1500
budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/719001340/redirect

I would too. Doesn't even matter what environment you're in. Whether it's a ghillie suit, an urban hide, or the back of a car, you're pretty much guaranteed 1-3 kills before they even know what direction the shots came from, at which point you're already on your way out.

and a Henry to boot! fuck yeah.

MOA means minute of angle.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minute_and_second_of_arc#Uses

If you're looking for a good all duty rifle a Savage Axis in .308 with a decent optic on it. That rifle will do whatever you want. You can find them in multiple options of steel and will function till the end of time. The nice thing about savage is that the customer service is top notch.

Most bolt acton rifles, apart from Remington, that are for a decent price are very good rifles for a novice shooter.

Which is why all modern armies arm their soldiers with select fire weapons...

>just machine your own lower

Wow really, is that all I have to do? Sounds like a piece of cake. Thanks man.

Which of the cucked NE states are you in? You might be able to get away with buying a "pistol".

Their cannon fodder urban cucks you mean. All the real shooters in armies use bolt actions for sniping or belt fed machine guns for suppressive fire. Assault rifles are for bottom of the barrel nigger-tier "soldiers" who can only spray and pray.

texas gun enthusiast here. my first hollandrodandgun.com/22-shootout/ then i'd try henry next henryusa.com/rifles/u-s-survival-ar-7/ there's a few likables there. next i'd move to shotty and pistol. i have benelli cordoba and i cc an fn 57 (bulky but worthy). also go stupid fuckin fagit

Took this for k a while ago

Assuming New England, get an ar. Especially if not in MA or CT. Even in those states with AWB the hoops you jump threw for a bolt or semi auto are going to be the same.

The US military only gives regular troops 3 round burst. Full auto is reserved for actual belt fed machine guns and special force.

The standard issue in the army is the M16A4 which has single shot and 3 round burst.

Full auto is just a waste of ammo unless you are highly trained and know when to use it properly. Most people just panic and empty their magazine and are then out of ammo. That's what happened in Vietnam.

5.56 for rifle. 9mm handgun

I'm in MA

Even in Maryland I own quite a few guns, including semi .223

LMGs are used for suppressive fire and your average grunt is no shit rarely even allowed to flip the fun switch on their M4.

Class A LTC accept nothing less! Until courts shut down illegal AR ban get an AK SKS or mini 14 rifle. Good mags down the road in RI.

80% lower dumbass. You just need a hug to go with it and a drill with the proper bits. Go look on Jewtube and look up how to finish an 80%

i appreciate your style, bud. keep rocking; the pleasure's in precision.

That's the most fucked state out of them all user, I suggest you just move. Even if you buy a gun they can just take it away from you.

jig* not hug.

OP, what does your gut tell you about an SHTF situation, and arms shipments to militias. It sounds possible/probable; not by Uncle Saul, but those who have been "prepping" for two decades but are too old to be anything but a liability in combat.

OP Move to Maine. The State government, and the municipal governments do not communicate well with each other. Bolt action rifles are cool, but not as cool as removing the upper receiver of an AR-15 and sliding in a crossbow.

guns.com/2013/02/28/tactical-assault-crossbow-pse-tac15-upper-for-the-ar15-video/

those are great rounds if you want to carry a bunch of ammo. They have great firepower to weight.

But if user wants high availability + high kill probability I would choose more powerful rifle rounds like 7.62 NATO, .308, or 30-06. Those are all very common and much more powerful than 5.56.

And for handguns I would choose something like .357 mag. That is very common, can be purchased at any wal-mart or sporting goods store, and is much more deadly than 9mm.

I live in NY, looking to buy a gun as well. I can only buy a shotgun or a rifle so any suggestions?

I've shot guns before, AR15 is probably my #1 choice right now but it is expensive. Are there any other .223s that are cheap and fun?

>jig* not hug.
dam russians

that 80% lower arrives in a flat template and is easy for the average White to figure out. In fact, there are so many people who know from building AR's that could potentially mass produce.

Here in NY we can have ARs as long as you fix the magazine. The law is vague as to what lengths you need to go to to fix the magazine to be compliant, but most people figure at the very least an AR Maglock is good enough to demonstrate good faith. You need to pivot the upper to load the gun or use one of those new MA loader things.

So build an AR, put a maglock device of some sort on, practice with it, buy some pinned 10/30 lancers, and when SHTF take the maglock device off and drill out the rivets on your lancer mags. Note this is a felony so don't do it unless there is literally an extended breakdown of law and order.

Doesn't Massachusetts honor pre ban guns? I'm certain they do for magazines at least.

mini-14 has the same capabilities as the AR-15 and is cheaper. It can use the same magazines and is semi-automatic.

And because you can get it in a wood stock most retards would never see it as an "assault rifle"

You can make it look like grandpa's hunting rifle or an all black tactical assault rifle depending on what kit you put on it.

>under 2k
You have several choices. May I suggest going on Galleryofguns.com and using their gun genie to narrow the search?

same gun

20 or 30 round mags are available and look very similar but aren't the same as ar mags. They lock in differently

>It can use the same magazines

This is patently false and I have no idea why you would say that. People have been bitching for years about wanting the M14 to use stanag mags, it simply won't and never will

My cousin can build aks from parts which parts kit is available that is the best? 47 not 74

I guess I am wrong. I thought they were standard aluminum GI mags.

I live in NY.
1 get a quick bolt action like an enfield. although you might want to learn how to reload cartridges.
2 get a M3 Garand.
3 get a good .22

m1******

For $2,000 I would recommend getting a solid, reputable rifle and spending the majority of the budget on nice optics.

Even in the AR world, optics often end up costing more than the rifle itself.

TiborosaurusRex on Jewtube has a long video series on precision shooting for beginners.

I'd recommend watching a few of his videos before purchasing

>357
>significantly more powerful than 9mm
Most handgun calibers offer little difference in "stoppen powa". I would rather shoot someone 15-20 times with 9millememe rather than 6-7 times with 357fagnom, fucking fudface.

I have an older (70's) 500 and it's the bomb however the newer Remingtons aren't nearly as good. You've already gotten some really good advice here, follow it.

Alright, OP. Upon further consideration that this is your first firearm, I think you need pic related. It's how everyone should learn to shoot whether they be kids or adults. It's very economical and suitable to your learning purposes. It's the Ruger American rifle chambered in 22 LR. Get yourself an economical rimfire scope and have a gunsmith put it on and boresight it and you'll be set.

>500

>If you get an M1A and choose to not go the scope route you can load by stripper clip which is amazing if you are using NATO instead of 308.

I think you could still use the stripper clips if you went with the Scout configuration.

Or just do what I did and get something in 357sig. Stopping power of 9mm with capacity of 40. What's not to like.

agreed.

i have a browning xbolt in .270, would have gone for 30-06 but i was like 15 when i got it. Great gun, only problem are shitty mags.

tfw i still shoot with iron sights

>What's not to like
the price and availability of the ammo, plus relatively few guns are chambered in it.

Ruger scout

Ruger SR9c (Compact!)
They have 10 rounders for it.
The trigger is supreme (but only on the compact version).

> its a misconception that having lower capacity mags means a gun is less effective, but it only takes a second to reload and you can do it while taking cover or strategically retreating.
> and its easy to carry a couple extra magazines

As a first gun this will cost you about 500.

> Rifle?
The Best Rifle under 2K is the PTR-91 with an 18 inch barrel. It costs about 1K and has cheap(cost) magazines with 20 round capacity.

But given your location that may not be possible.

A good alternative that is flying off the shelves is the TROY Pump Action Rifle. Its basically an AR15 that is pump action so you can get a shot off probably once per second accurately. Given that its pump action almost none of the regs touch it, possibly even magazine wise.

> shooting at range

Forget shooting at anything farther than 200 yards unless its a Vehicle speeding towards you.

If this is about shit hitting the fan you need to practice stealth and urban concealment so you can avoid trouble.

And if you absolutely cant avoid that trouble because it would take you a few days to backtrack around it... you need to learn to be able to get within 200 yards of that enemy so you can blow his brains out.

You cant even own an SKS?

An SKS would be a thousand times more useful than a bolt gun in any defensive situation, especially considering you wont be highly trained...

Yes but there are some issues. It has to be pre 94 which is a long time ago. The good news is they have to prove it isn't pre ban to charge you. The problem now is there are a lot of new firearms only made after 1994 so on those they automatically know if you have a regular capacity mag you are illegal. The law is ignored universally there as far as I could see. Most gun owners have at least 1 high cap mag for their gun. The real problem is the onerous long, expensive process you have to go threw just to be able to buy a gun. They also have an AG who is illegally trying to force dealers not to sell new ARs blatant violation of 2nd amendment.

I've always felt that lever actions were easier to shoot on the move. You can get a marlin 336 in 30-30 for around $400.