Will you survive the super volcano?

Yellowstone supervolcano was recently hit with over 450 earthquakes, prompting scientists to closely monitor the area. The first of the swarm of earthquakes began on June 12th and continued in the following days, including up to a 4.5M earthquake.

It's important to note that despite Yellowstone supervolcano's ability to erupt catastrophically, there do not appear to be signs that this swarm of earthquakes is leading to an eruption.

Geologists have monitoring systems setup surrounding the Yellowstone supervolcano that can detect seismicity underground. This monitoring system both provides data for researchers to better understand the volcano and as an early warning system. In this case, the most recent swarm of earthquakes likely was a result of the magma within the supervolcano moving through channels and conduits as it continues to fill.

The recent 4.5M earthquake was the largest to hit Yellowstone since March of 2014 when a 4.8M earthquake struck the area. Most of the earthquakes were limited to magnitudes below 1 and within the upper 9 miles of the crust. Keep in mind the earthquake magnitude scale is logarithmic, so a magnitude 2 earthquake is 10 times more powerful than a magnitude 1 earthquake.

This isn't the first time earthquake swarms have hit Yellowstone, but the latest swarm was 7 years ago in 2010. In fact, it's not uncommon that earthquakes tend to hit in swarms. As crustal rock breaks and produces an earthquake, strain is transferred to another location and often times causes a chain of crustal breaks.

Scientists are acutely in tune with the daily happenings of the Yellowstone supervolcano given its history of global scale eruptions. This particular event was marked as a 'green' by the USGS, providing clear direction that the geologists monitoring the supervolcano do not expect any imminent threat.

Other urls found in this thread:

pubs.usgs.gov/fs/fs027-00/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i am safe with my bunker 40 floors below sea level.

eruption will trigger San Andrea's fault and New Madrid and Ramapo all at once

during a blizzard

Would denver with 100-300mm be 'safe'?

Barely affected in NY. Fucking terrible. I often wish this city would get buried.
>At least California's getting a respectable dusting.

.... No user

Yellowstone is a meme. It will never erupt in our lifetime

How long would the ash take to get here? Denver is more prone to civil unrest and the like than any other place I have lived heh.

The whole planet would be affected you dumb fuck

>including up to a 4.5M earthquake.
Its literally nothing

Yeah, but not everyone is getting buried under several centimeters of ash.
>Califag detected.

If you have an N-95 mask, goggles, and a gun you should be fine.

Post your best Yellowstone-chan memes!

Next Pride Parade in Southeastern Idaho!

"Donald Trump is a meme, he'll never get elected President"

Sup Forums-"Here hold my beer!"

yes

Its gonna be a mass extinction event that could lead to an ice age

it's millimeters you dumb fuck, even in the area just outside the kill zone it's just over 3 feet.

imagine a really bad snow-storm but it's unsafe to breathe and collapses roofs.

Yellowstone will erupt in 2019

Why is this on Sup Forums?

I have no idea where "Latvia" even is. And I refuse to look it up.

Yes, I can read. 10mm = 1cm.

SF is getting 1-3cm. NY gets, wait for it, .1-.3 cm.

lrn2convert dude. Why u so mad?

i have a good chance.
i would be more worried about the blacks migrating out of the nearby cities moreso than my white methhead neighbors.
growing food would be difficult/impossible without a generator fueled to run for years. i can some food myself but i just cant kill enough animals to really start making surplus

r o l l i n g for you

The ash would also cause global famine induced by a volcanic winter so even if you don't die from breathing in heaps of ash you'll starve to death. And it'll be like this for the next 5-10 years.

HE CAN'T DO BASIC MATHS

nice trips, 'several' usually means more than 1-3 though so it sounded like you were exaggerating

i dont see my country on there so i think im safe

The fact that these earthquake swarms continue to happen on a semi-regular basis is actually a good sign* as it shows that pressure is being dissipated slowly rather than quickly via an eruption. It's the super-volcanoes which haven't been having regular earthquakes which we should worry about.

* up to a point of course, if they were happening almost "continuously" then that could signal a problem

It's not going to blow up in for another 50,000 years. I say it so and so it shall.

i live north west, iowa 2 miles from south dakota boarder, dun matter about ash, scoop that shit like snow and make bricks, build new houses.

Oi seppos, red-pill me on the 2009 -present Oklahoma earthquake swarms. Is this a case of man-made geological disruption?

Islam says that alot of earthquakes will happen around the time of the end of the world.

It's finally happening.

>not drilling holes all over yellowstone to relieve the pressure

I'm convinced they want it to explode.

latvia is little russia, next to estonia and lithuania.

Yeah, unless you actually have that much food stored up in a bunker, no other amount of prepping will do that much good.

>tfw in south texas
enjoy dying niggers

>pubs.usgs.gov/fs/fs027-00/
>ash takes several hours to spread
>there are warning signs that can happen days to weeks before an eruption
Even if yellowstone happened it wouldn't be much of a happening beyond the initial civil unrest and the long-term effects on livestock and agriculture. There would not be massive and immediate loss of life though

Yellowstone will erupt in the next 5 years kek willing

There's only one way to guarantee your survival.

good luck yellowstone-chan

That's such a vague prediction. Earthquakes were probably scary back then with shit infrastructure, probably destroyed entire villages. "A big one, or lots of them would end the world!".

No we're all gonna die here. There won't be any unrest, we all just die horribly from the plebeian knowledge normies have of volcanic ash. 1 meter of ash is 10-50X the density of snow. The roof of your house will collapse and crush you if you don't go outside and shovel your roof

Good luck Yellowstone-Chan!

>>Barely affected in NY.
Where would all you gay NY'rs get your food is the corn belt is buried in ash?

Good luck yellowstone-chan

I forgot to mention, going outside will kill you horribly as well. Without proper equipment your eyes will start bleeding first until you begin drowning in your own blood. The amount of volcanic hair (thin invisible fiberglass) ejected will fuck everyone's day up. It's also a bitch to remove without a doctor

>what are slanted roofs
>what are high-quality respirators

>breathing in volcanic glass
Thanks that sounds fucking horrific

>slanted roof
Will mostly help
>respirators
How many fuckers own respirators though? I'm going to just assume 99% of people won't have one

GOOD LUCK YELLOWSTONE - CHAN!

muhhhh yellowstone!!!

face it, retards, its not happening

>How many fuckers own respirators though?
Most people I know have a small bugout bag for tornadoes and the like so a lot of people here have at least a cheap 3M one.

and I expect more people will get them if things ever get weird in yellowstone, there are going to be huge warning signs that aren't just earthquake swarms before it goes.

I wager San An or Cascadia will cause a major happening before yellowstone erupts.

I spent the whole weekend in the park, it's not happening yet fags. Animals weren't heading for the hills, didn't feel any earfquakes.

i'll survive long enough to watch everyone die around me. what a great day that will be.

Please tell me California isn't relatively safe from this?

The possibility of yellowstone erupting scares the shit out of me.

haven't we tried somehow to relieve the pressure?

Did fucking any of you even read the OP?

swear to god 95% of Sup Forums is under 20

No one is safe from this.

Oh thank goodness

I LOVE YOU YELLOWSTONE-CHAN!

Will I have to move to leafland, assuming this isn't a hoax/nonsense?

>lots of people own the cheap 3M ones
Those will probably be enough for everyone but user asked about Denver region and you're gonna need the primo ones. The sulfur dioxide concentrations in that region would pass any semblance of healthy levels. It's hard to say if they'd be outright lethal

That car is owned by a black guy FYI

Thank god the US has free health care to take care of all the ash induced cancer and breathing problems
Oh...
Wait...

Wake up Yellowstone
Wake up Yellowstone
Wake up Yellowstone

I've thought about this, and I think that would be counter productive. it would lead to a weakening of the shell above the volcano, which from what I understand, would lead to a less catastrophic eruption, would make it more likely.the best bet would actually be to slant drill from a hundred miles away, blowing out chambers to absorb the pressure when the drill finally hits a magma chamber.

I love you Yellowstone chan

I am sorrounded by FAT people, with supplies, either way I won't starve

the fact that picture was taken in central florida makes me so happy

Yellowstone
Eruption
Around september 2019

It's politically incorrect to speculate on a supervolcano eruption and the possible consequences.

Volcanoes are the most powerful thing in this wolrd; benefactors of fertile lands.

Blood of the asian tourists is the only way to appease the Yellowstone. Let us pray for a summer of too-close bison selfies and geyser pool slips.

unfortunatly

Let's see what digitz tell.

If singlez we're still in Green mode.

Rolling

Good Luck Yellowstone Chan!

>tfw los angeles fag
Eh could be worse, I can do 10 mm of ash

Kek says death

Tampa user reporting. I see this car at least twice a week. Owned by a black guy. His kids go to the same high school I just graduated from.

Is there a version of this map with Canada? I'm in northern Alberta and can't quite tell how fucked I am.

East TN light yellow master race reporting. Looking forward to having winters again.

I fucking hate you weebs

thicccccccccccccccccccc

VIDF

I bet you're volcanoes.

shut up geo cuck

it will eventually end life as we know it all over the world, so none of us are actually safe. it would be some extinction level/snowpiercer/the road type of shit.
that caldera ended up being extraordinarily larger than what geologists thought.
but then again, who the fuck am i, i'm just regurgitating all the bullshit i read. i don't know who to trust anymore.
i do know one thing though, i secretly want to live in a post-apocalyptic or dystopian blade runner future

a fellow burger who didn't make us look bad today.
must've went to a private school

i'll be checking all the abandoned/dead people's homes for opioids because i'm going to die having all those microscopic shards in my lungs.
volcanic ash is basically obsidian knives.
might as well go comfortably instead of living for months or years in agony, no family, or having the burden of putting myself or my surviving family on my back

Put on some gas mask dude!!!!!
You have to change the filter once in a while but as long as you wear it youre good!

Do you have the next frame in the series?

Asking for a friend....

fucking lol

god i pray it erupts and ends us all, fuck this country and fuck the white race

Have the fish left the lakes yet

>why can't I just live without being reminded some people don't care about me
Because nobody on the fucking planet should ever think everyone cares about them nigger
>I'm lucky my kid can't read yet
No you're not, most niggers don't ever learn how to read
>learn about and challenge racism
Or get the fuck out of places where you're not wanted REEEEEEEEEEEEE

And once the ash settles, it will make very fertile soil. Just gotta hold out till then.

good luck yellowstone-chan!

GOOD LUCK YELLOWSTONE-CHAN

good luck yellowstone chan, I love you!