Why do people assume that when society collapses that people will magically be willing to trade thier scarced resources...

Why do people assume that when society collapses that people will magically be willing to trade thier scarced resources for gold or silver?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=boHE_dR159k
youtu.be/ZSgfpTZEgGU?t=6m40s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Pls respond.

People are retarded, bullets and liquor will be far more valuable than the gold and silver meme.

they won't. that's been proven time and again. Latest was in Africa, Rwanda. People hiding in a closet with gems and gold would say Hey get me out of here, and whoever would say OK be right back, be ready then somebody would come by with a machete and hack em up, take their shit.

Yeah, people should stock up on booze and cigarettes

Gold and silver and shit is for AFTER the SHTF, when society is re-established. Its a STORE of wealth. Having it allows you to get a leg up when the shit clears and you can regain your yuppie fag status. Currently, as a buy its a total waste of time, BTW.

I'm going to kill some nigger parents an raise there little niglets to to my labors.

>Immaterial currencies crash
>Thinking that preemptively buying material, nationally recognized currency is a meme scam
Ha.

For a very simple reason, people will need something to exchange. People have become stupid. They can not fathom a society based on barter. They need a hard unit to tie everything's value to. They can't think for themselves anymore.

That, and truth be told, on the way back up, as humanity has always done, the governments of the new era will need to collect the metals to mint the new coinage. Those with the metals think that may give them bargaining power.

It will just make them targets.

It's inert

five thousands years of economics?

Gold can sometimes get you men with guns but men with guns can always get you gold
Napoleon

lol this is speculation, and its also almost certainly wrong. there are massive black markets based on barter.

you guys are really retarded

1. They've been conditioned by the Jews.
2. Precious metals could become a pre-collapse medium of exchange, right before the world goes full planet of the apes. The best thing to do is keep perpetuating this meme so people will waste their time and effort on acquiring useless shit which leaves more for us to acquire things of real value.

This. Water, food, and weapons are the real value. Everything we do is for the acquisition or security of these resources. Which is basically living like a prepper. You want to prep based on what you can afford. Look at Mark Cuckerberg, he has private security, walls, underground bunker, escape helicopter, and land in the Ozarks. Most people will probably have a Glock 19 and a few spare mags.

What do you mean magically? People need money to trade. So if the dollar falls it will be replaced by something. Seeing as how gold and silver have been money for all but the last century its a good bet they'll go back to that.

W/e like 50 nukes are targeted toward my city in a 500 warhead scenario
Implying I had a chance anyway ;_;

>People need money to trade
>In a world where society has collapsed.
Maximum Jew.

Get out of there user. What are you waiting for?

>yfw society is reestablished by real preppers who hoarded real commodities instead of gold so currency is now denominated in potatoes, making all your gold worthless

It's nationally recognized as a societal denotation of the value of the work used to procure an equivalent rate of work to obtain the gold. When society no longer exists gold is worthless because there is no utilitarian reason to have a useless metal over viable material to survive. The fact is that Humans give gold value because we like shiny metals and rare things. However when it becomes easier to procure gold naturally then it's value decreases as it no longer requires an equivalent amount of work to what it used to. To be effective, Gold needs to be tied to the value of labour of a simple work that is standard to countries such as the farming of wheat, and then such regards can be made to how much labour gold is worth.

preppers are so fucking autistic. real life collapse isnt like the walking dead

That's asinine, because potatoes are not viable as a currency to carry around. One would tie a value of Gold to the labour required to get those potatoes, and then utilize the Gold in transaction as a placeholder for the value of whatever equivalent rate of potatoes there would be.

Barter is incredibly frustrating and inefficient, it'll last all of ten seconds. If people have to exchange laundry detergent as currency; they'll do that rather than barter. How can you be so naive?

Normalcy bias.

Although, I'm sure a gold coin will buy you a meal, even in a horrifying collapse.

That's how currency works.

The best currencies are those you don't consume or use for anything else. It always amazes me how clueless people are when it comes to what currency actually is and does and why.

That's just as asinine, because there will be no established society to mint a currency and set it's standard value of comparison. Thus Gold to one imbecile will garner you 20 potatoes, while a more utilitarian man will give you naught but one so he can simply jew the imbecile like you could have done.In this essence Gold will inhabit the same realm as the barter system and cease to be a currency of any meaning. At such a point you would be better off trading the potatoes themselves.

Currency requires an established body to mint and denote value to the currency for it to have any efficiency over barter. In a world where no society exists the usage of old world currency systems is rendered null by the state of affairs.

You fuking pinkos are so dense as to think that in that scenario people would all be using the same currency accross the board and not bartering fucking idoit

>The best currencies are those you don't consume or use for anything else. It always amazes me how clueless people are when it comes to what currency actually is and does and why.
Only if you have a state wiht taxing power.
youtube.com/watch?v=boHE_dR159k

It doesn't matter that nobody prints it you idiot. People need to exchange an otherwise worthless item for goods and services because it simplifies trade.

Rather than trading potatoes for t-shirts for firewood to get steak knives.

You don't want your currency to rot, you don't want it to be edible, you don't want it to be consumed in manufacturing. You literally want useless corrosion resistant husks that don't lose any value even if you cut them up. Previous metals serves this well and that is why they've been used as currency for most of human history.

I want to protect this smile

The fact of the matter is that the worthless item you mention is supposed to be used in a society where utility trumps all. The only circumstances where a worthless currency is used is when there is a standard of work effort tied to it alongside and item of utility. When there is no standard that Gold is set to it is worthless as currency because just as you must convince your trade partner to agree on the value of the potatoes you are trading you would just as well be required to convince him of the standard worth of Gold in a society which has no standard worth because the industry is inherently sporadic and susceptible to rapid shifts.

Whatever currency that exists post apocalypse would be useless for most work, compact and easy to transport, readily available to most people, hard to make more of, retain value no matter how much you grind or cut it, and never spoil or be used up.

the gold is for when society starts back up and we go back to gold backed (hopefully) in the new empire

>I want to acquire the water and meat you have but I don't have any of that gold. I do have these bullets I produce and you use to gather those materials
>no senpai, I must be paid in gold, its a much better than trading for what I need, a fucking leaf said so on an image board before the world collapsed.

I think you might be completely retarded.

Society can't collapse, it's become too strong.

you preper psychos need to realize that your wet dream of a total economic firesale is impossible

You really have no fucking clue what you're talking about. Currency does not need to come from a central authority. It simply needs to be otherwise useless shit that everyone agrees is a store of wealth and therefore worth accepting as a unit of exchange. Holy Christ watch a 3 minute YouTube video on what currency even is instead of spouting off like a total retard. You are a perfect example of dunning-kruger in effect.

I'm sorry mate but it is actually you who is retarded. You're just too stupid to realize it.

Yeah okay buddy. Good luck with your monopoly money when the world ends.

Why is he so perfect?

I do know what I am talking about you ingrate because I studied The Wealth of Nations in my spare time. Of which it states that currency is given worth by it's equivalency to standard products of utility garnered by the labour market . The utility of a variety of standard produce is then measured for labour value and denoted by the users of said currency of which THEY CAN ALL AGREE ON THE VALUE OF THE CURRENCY. This is necessary for a functioning economic society.

Now if you are insinuating that every survivor in the country can go all across the country and measure the gross labour value of standard produce (which no longer exists) as well as conspire to make everyone agree on the worth of said currency to facilitate trade amongst themselves with trust in the value of their currency of use then you are truly in over your head and you need to go read a fucking book nigger.

Cigarettes go bad in a few months. Get sugar and salt instead

Look at Venezuela, homie.

We use gold as a sign of wealth because it's rare, but not too rare. At the same time, it's immune to corrosion, which is something not found in most other metals. This is why every culture values gold, not because it's shiny.

The smart ones among us know that everyone will trade us their stuff for a bullet.

I'm stocking up on bottle caps, myself

gold and silver have been currencies for thousands of years worldwide

people like dense and shiny

moonstone
sunstone

Ancient nations used some form of shellfish carapace as currency. While I cannot remember the specifics I believe it was an island nation of which was in it's early development.

Here is why gold will never be currency if the government collapses:

There are roughly 1 million pounds of gold currently being stored in the Federal Reserve building in the middle of New York City.

If the government collapsed, people would immediately raid it.

Gold is now in such incredibly high supply, it is worthless. That's also not counting the millions of pounds in Fort Knox and other vaults.

Alternatively, if that didn't happen, gold is useless as a currency because nearly everyone on earth has at most an ounce or two. You can't run an economy on that.

Pound for pound, U.S. quarters are probably more rare, and would make a better currency. After all, if the government collapses, they aren't gonna be making any more - even if someone steals the presses they won't be getting the imports of raw metal needed to smelt them. And, quarters already interface with most money-taking machines.

Bullets corrode, can be counterfeit, come in three dozen different calibers for different guns, and are consumed on use. Not everyone even has a gun. Bullets will be valuable just like they are now, but they will never be currency.

Gold can be counterfeited senpai. According to your own logic, that means its not a good currency.

na ah, you just bite into it. you can tell. I've seen it in movies.

>Bullets can be counterfeit
It's not counterfeit if there is no minting process in place.

Not everyone has gun, but that's irrelevant because if bullets work as currency it doesn't matter, you can use them for trade.

Consumption on use keeps their worth at a fairly steady rate.

Considering Gold will be worthless because of it's variable worth to individuals, bullets are a utility item that has definite trade value because of it's utility, and simply having them is a good thing as well. People will be more likely to trade with bullets than with gold in an SHTF scenario

>Why do people assume that when society collapses that people will magically be willing to trade thier scarced resources for gold or silver?

Dude, women LOVE gold.

YOU CAN'T EAT BULLETS. I WOULDN'T TRADE FOOD AND WATER FOR BULLETS, THE FUCK AM I GONNA DO WITH BULLETS? EXCEPT SHOOT YOU FOR MY FOOD AND WATER BACK

IN FULL SOCIETAL COLLAPSE "CURRENCY" GOES OUT THE WINDOW AND WE BARTER NOW JESUS YOU GUYS ARE DENSE

READ PIC RELATED EVEN THOUGH IT TURNED OUT TO BE FAKE

You daft fuck, read my earlier posts, I fucking agree with you. Get your dragon dildo out of your ass before you rupture your internal organs.

You wouldn't trade food or water because you don't have an excess, however if you did and wanted to invest in the possibility of being able to secure other supplies at later date, bullets are a good investment.

>implying people won't be preparing for the inevitable return of civilization and hoarding valuables such as gold silver etc.
Someone doesn't plan for the future

Gold can sometimes get you supplies, good supplies can always get you gold.

I'm not saying gold will inherently have hard value in the fall, but people will want it for when society picks back up, which always happens, and when it does gold will once again make it's holder wealthy, so there will always be a market for gold etc.

Gold and silver are only given a monetary value by society. Barter was much more common in the old days. Its a Jewish scam.

There won't be any measurable market, because most people main concern will be survival. Bartering with a niche market of jews during a widespread collapse isn't going to be conducive to your survival. However if one was to take collected gold and trade it to developing societies for utility resources they could make some good gain.

Why do all the good threads on Sup Forums die?

I'm almost willing to bet there's groups out there right now that have been collectively hoarding materials and supplies so well that they'll have the means and capabilities to establish small communities able to maintain the infrastructure required for trade, like the Foundation from Asimovs books.

>yfw the Communist quotes "Napoleon"

Nigger what are you on?

Just as well, then you can trade some gold to them for their use as raw material for mint currency, in return for utilitarian profits.Perhaps bullets or guns, then you could invest those guns into an organization of your choosing that is planning a raid in return for a portion of the profits form it (request gold if you desire) and thus you can have a massive turnout.

Sup Forums

Because everyone knows that the societal collapse will end, and at that point gold will be worth something, the goods you're bartering for will not.

BERIEEVE

I don't know man, food is pretty important. Munitions are too.

Silver has intrinsic value. Apart from jewellery, a lot of silver is used in technology. It's the best natural available heat and electric conductor. Silver is used in medical equipment as a disinfectant and in military equipment. Building one cruise missile requires multiple ounces of silver.

For fuck's sake, Americans.
People didn't and never would trade their scarse resources. The trade began when people had a surplus of goods.
At first they traded goods for goods for ages, then they switched to 'money'.

I know man, but food and munitions have their place, they will be traded for to an extent... but after say 3-4 years, gold will be what turns your average joe schmoe, into a millionaire, you ask yourself that, would you rather be very hungry, and barely survive, with some gold, that you then use to become filthy rich? or would you rather just stock up on food?

You do realize that the "materials" and "infrastructure" I mentioned for establishing trade means guns, and lots of them right? I have to assume that not only are people prepping for the collapse, but are prepping to establishe city-states full of armed survivalists. Shit, so many people watch Walking Dead and Doomsday Preppers you gotta assume some of them caught onto some survival basics, like the importance of guns and strength in numbers

you think if society in america collapses it'll collapse everywhere else in the world? Not at all, the world will keep going, and there will be trade, and countries that come out on top.

they won't

coffee > booze > cigarettes

that's how it'll go down

If America goes down there's no way the rest of the world isn't going to go to shit likely immediately. Global economy is so tangled at this point if any of the top probably 3 or 5 world economies just collapsed the shockwave would decimate the world's finance system

stop being retarded. it literally takes one freaking minute to figure out why gold was used as a global currency at some point.

It's basic economics, we're still trading like the caveman did back in the day, but more efficiently if you ask me.

>cigarettes go bad after a few months
youtu.be/ZSgfpTZEgGU?t=6m40s

nah man, only countries heavily dollar dominated... you think North korea is going to give a crap about the US falling? Or russia for instance? which has been reducing its holdings of US dollars and raising its holdings of Gold.

If the scenario dictates that only the American economy/ society has collapsed then we have far more dire straits ahead, as all that soil will be up for grabs and the American population will probably have to prepare for threats foreign and domestic

That's approximately what is going to happen most likely. Nuclear war will NOT break out, the cold war is testament to that... however the dollar debt bubble will burst, and our currency will become fiat, our wages will stay where they are, but prices will skyrocket. The country will be flooded with "rich" foreign investors who will be paying millions for your average american house... which the american people will be selling at an alarming rate, because they will want to not give away their entire paycheck to their mortgages. Things will not become destroyed over night, but that is what will happen, and to an extent, it already is if you look at the real estate market. Make no mistake ALL that we have as a country is real estate, everything else other countries can do, but our real estate is worth 100 trillion BECAUSE people want to move here, BECAUSE we have law and order... and so they will, causing our prices to skyrocket even higher and higher... Remember how prices used to be 30k for a house and any american could afford it? Soon houses will be 2 million on average and they will be filled with foreigners and only home owners in this country will have any kind of wealth.