This is largely an opinionated rant...

This is largely an opinionated rant. I shall endeavor to explain why your "totally funny racist joke" is actually causing me real, honest to goodness harm. And not just me, but everyone that the joke could be about.

Bit of background. At my job, I do almost all of the hiring interviews. During the hiring season this takes about 50% of my time. The other 50% of the time I write code. My job is to, in a very short period of time, evaluate a candidate, and figure out if he or she (probably he) is a good cultural fit for whatever web development team we're assembling, is competent, and should be hired. We're encouraged to no-hire over hire, to be picky as hell, and to always tell someone "no" if anyone dislikes them.

So, this is a great opportunity for me to be racist. Yes, racist. I might be a minority, but behind that hiring desk I've got both power and prejudice.

This observation started after binging on youarenotsosmart.com. I began to introspect on how often I make decisions on bad or superficial data.

While testing myself I've viewed hundreds of pictures with colleges and voted "would hire / would not hire" based on the photo and nothing more. This has taught me some uncomfortable facts. If you walk in with baggy pants, I'm going to dislike you. If you're too tall or too short, I'll like you less too. Now, I'm not justifying these opinions, but I am acutely aware of them.

There's no hiring manager in the world that has these subtle biases about subjective evaluation. And thus anyone can lose a job interview just because of bad luck or, if the opinion becomes widespread, systemic bias. You think its your skill that brings you success, but no, environmental conditions matter way more than you think.

So what does my bias have to do with your joke? Mostly because people are really bad at determining their own motives and are vulnerable to manipulation from all sorts of directions. Racism, even in a joke form, works as a very effective form of priming. All it takes is a few bad stereotypes to form the kind of subconscious thought into that will actually affect their judgement. So when you tell a joke about, say, asian people being horrible drivers, and I absorb that joke, then the next time I have to evaluate who is qualified to work offsite with rental cars on the company dime, I may very well subconsciously assume the white guy is the better driver even though I have no evidence to support this.

You do it too. And the hivemind is making you more racist every day.

Now you can try to combat subconscious bias with conscious thought, but outthinking these patterns are hard. Extremely hard! It's like we're wired to find people not like us and assign negative qualities to them.

Now for me, I can usually outthink shit about my own race and gender, because I have myself to anchor on, but after cracking a bunch of jokes about Indian telemarketers take a guess who I don't want calling the customers? That's right, our indian guy. Now for the record, I noticed this behavior and corrected it, and he's one of our most eloquent speakers. Still, how much behavior do I not notice every day? How many times has hearing a racist joke cost the most qualified candidate his job?

So here you are going "Herp Derp, what's the difference between a black guy and a pizza?" Ok, very funny. Except that every time someone hears that racist ass joke, they might actually to subconsciously assign it some measure of truth, and once they assign it some measure of truth, it's going to affect their decision making. Even if they're not consciously racist.

Even more importantly, thanks to confirmation bias and the backfire effect if a person has even a trace of racist thought, you can be sure exposure to racist jokes and the subsequent "but X aren't really like that" will both amplify the effect.

You might think yourself immune, but consider how many proverbs and meaningless aphorisms you absorb as truth every day.

Subconscious, split second decisions about which fare a taxi driver should take, about which car a cop should pull over, about which defendant is guilty, about who to hire, who to promote, who should get a raise, who should be let go, who to date -- all of these things affect people, all the time. You might think you're being rational and logical, but more often than not you make decisions and justify them afterwards. And you, like me, are making these subconscious decisions with all those racist biases you've had instilled.

So when you tell a racist joke and you don't consciously reject it, you're making my life a little bit worse. When you tell it to your non-racist friends, you're making my life a little bit worse too.

The effect is magnified on minorities. Jokes about upper class black females don't really stick with me, but how many black female hiring managers are there, especially for well paying jobs? I've met like, two, in my life. More broadly, a joke about a minority will be spread further and faster, accepted more easily, and have greater impact than a joke about a majority. That's why racist jokes about minorities, even if they're equally offensive, are worse.

Thus, I might have a hard time getting a raise because you're telling jokes about black people. That's my lifetime salary you're diminishing there. And I'm posting not just for me, because I'm doing ok, but for everyone you tell a racist joke about. Fucking stop it.

We are doing you a service, now your brain automatically categorizes nonwhites as bad workers. This should help you, thank us later.

Can someone green text this whiny cunts posts for me its too late and i'm too drunk to read all this blather

'Racism' is a neo-Marxist conspiracy theory. It does not exist.

The banter goes in every direction here...This place is not for everyone

tl;dr: Racist asshole realizes he's racist, tries to abstract it to collective blame, thereby removing personal responsibility and agency

Leftists do this a lot.

NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER

dont really care tbqh mate

>i cant get a raise at my job because Sup Forums memes are subconsciously making me racist and im to brainwashed to admit that racism is factually correct

>being this assblasted over fucking jokes

There is literally nothing wrong with being racist as a private citizen. Absolutely nothing. Zero. You should be free to associate (or not) with whomever you please.

Would you feel guilty buying a gift for your family instead of a stranger's family? Of course not.

There is, however, something wrong with the government bullying you into buying a gift for a stranger's family.

The only thing you can argue rationally is that a government must not discriminate against one group of citizens. Public actors have different standards than private actors.

the military instilled a sense of accountability in me, this is the foundation that will not allow most leftist ideology to sway me

Nobody fucking cares about your shitty job

Nice effortpost.

This place is getting over run by SJW's

>saged

I disagree that there's necessarily "nothing wrong," but it's not a matter for politics or policy. I agree that there's nothing wrong with racist jokes (unless they're not funny, of course).

Good. There's a severe lack of accountability in our culture broadly, and that's its most fundamental problem. Particularly with those in positions of power, but with people in general as well.

*tip*

>If you're too tall ... I'll like you less too

manlet detected

Have you ever hired someone then regretted it? How'd that play out, nigger?

>I'm asking that every single person stop doing something to get my desired effect
And you think you're smart?

Sieg Heil
Race war now.
FUCK YOU, I HOPE MY RACISM HURTS YOU YOU WORTHLESS PIECE OF SHIT

I agree on some of your thoughts and there's certainly some truth behind it, but as says you fail to see that from our point of view, racism brings benefits to OUR society. Homogenous white societies have always operated far better than multicultural ones and every stereotype holds some truth in it. Stereotypes, racist jokes and such, helps us pave our way into a better tomorrow, which is absent of you. Of you, who individually could become an equal part of us, but collectively, creates more problems than benefits.

Then just look up fucking statistics to convince yourself that these jokes are in fact wrong. If you don't want to believe it just look up statistics that confirm that yes Asians are as good of drivers as Europeans. It's not too hard man

You diont know what the fuck you are doing and want us to tell you what to do?

Fuck you bigger. This is why Affirmitive Action is bad. Stupid fuck asking for advice on the Internet,because he is stupid: whoa.

OPs name is david mcraney and he is shilling his shit on Sup Forums

Feminine White Power

Supposing you were a Kalergi Mongrel-Theist, then how would you perform your Human-Resources function.

I guarantee it would be predominantly selections in favor of Mongrel-Theists. Or their Ilk.

TL DR

racist joke thread?
>I painted my PC black so it would run faster, but now it doesnt work

good cultural fit
Most qualified should get the job. Meritocracy is not a meme

I think that line gave away the parody.

it's your professional obligation to hire the best candidate, not work through your own personal moral agony sjw theater as a means to practice employment marxism. tall/white/males are the best employees, with the only other equivalent being asian males with brains.

piss off nigger

How many niggers does it take to change a lightbulb?

how many?

You're a faggot.

LOL WHERE IS THIS. looks like planet of the apes. feel bad for you yanks hahahaha

I read the first paragraph and let me respond without continuing... I'm glad it causes you harm. Now fuck off

Didn't get past the first paragraph, nigger

Good post OP, but as you can see, your efforts are being wasted here. A well-made post will not get any traction in this safe-space.

Tbqh the same can be said about trying extra hard to not be racist.
You overlook or forgive or second guess yourself when it's your responsibility to hire the best for the company.

Sure you could get lucky and hire a tatted up lil Wayne and he turns out to be nigga notch, but there's a reason tattoos nuckles is not associated with intellect.
So you ask, am I being racist? That's an icky poo poo prejudice he's probably a responsible human being.

What you do is challenge them to overcome your prejudice, look for something to shine through that proves the tattoos are just superficial.
Could just be a well crafted interview question, or a goalposts you see them slam dunk.
It's not racist if it's true.

I agree, its uncouth and rude to make racist jokes in almost every circumstance. However, no one should get in trouble legally for cracking such a joke, or for even being openly racist. Free speech is just that important. However, racists are in my eyes subhumans and those that make racist jokes are just being immoral and not at all thoughtful.

This tbqh

Making race based decisions and observations is not racist.

belittling, assulting, rounding up people because of their race is racist and unbecoming of the curator race.

t. happa mongrel