Women in Tech Speak Frankly on Culture of Harassment

>Tech news site The Information reported that female entrepreneurs had been preyed upon by a venture capitalist, Justin Caldbeck of Binary Capital. The new accounts underscore how sexual harassment in the tech start-up ecosystem goes beyond one firm and is pervasive and ingrained. Now their speaking out suggests a cultural shift in Silicon Valley, where such predatory behavior had often been murmured about but rarely exposed.

>Wendy Dent, 43, whose company Cinemmerse makes an app for smart watches, said she was sent increasingly flirtatious messages by a start-up adviser, Marc Canter, as she was trying to start her company in 2014. Mr. Canter, who had founded a software company in the 1980s that became known as Macromedia, initially agreed to help her find a co-founder. But over time, his messages became sexual in nature.

>In one message, reviewed by The Times, he wrote that she was a “sorceress casting a spell.” In another, he commented on how she looked in a blue dress and added, “Know what I’m thinking? Why am I sending you this — in private?”

>Mr. Canter, in an interview, said that Ms. Dent “came on strong to me, asking for help” and that she had used her sexuality publicly. He said he disliked her ideas so he behaved the way he did to make her go away.

>Lindsay Meyer, an entrepreneur in San Francisco, said Mr. Caldbeck put $25,000 of his own money into her fitness start-up in 2015. That gave Mr. Caldbeck reason to constantly text her; in those messages, reviewed by The Times, he asked if she was attracted to him and why she would rather be with her boyfriend than him. At times, he groped and kissed her, she said.

>“I felt like I had to tolerate it because this is the cost of being a nonwhite female founder,” said Ms. Meyer, who is Asian-American.

nytimes.com/2017/06/30/technology/women-entrepreneurs-speak-out-sexual-harassment.html?mcubz=0&_r=0

===

Have white men gone too far this time?

What do you think about this?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/4huWI
angel.co/wethos
linkedin.com/in/rachel-renock-7459146a
medium.com/@rachren1
web.archive.org/web/20170701173941/https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/dec/06/women-abuse-self-defense-conflict-resolution-donald-trump
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Archive
archive.is/4huWI

>i put up with unnattractive men for money to start my business and now i am complaining about the choices i made

If you don't want to deal with an investor don't take their money.

>dumb cunts being dumb and cunty
Stop the presses.

In the Bay Area, there are Stronk Indepenis Women that want to "break into" the tech sector and make all this money, but eventually realize it's a real shit job and try to find a man that makes a lot so they don't have to put up with anymore.

The "founder" scam is going to dry up soon then we'll never see these articles again. Right now Silicon Valley so-called industry consists of a gambler "founder" scamming fools with money and pumping up a bullshit service that's 90% marketing and 10% innovation, then pulling a slot lever and hoping to cash out before the bubble pops.

kill, fuck, kill

> Rachel Renock, the chief executive of Wethos
> Try to search that company on Google to see what it is
> First result is OP's article.

The fuck do these women even sell?? How can they be """entrepreneurs"""?

>if I'm not attracted to him, its harrassment

Lmao, leave women the fuck alone. Just because she's your coworker doesn't mean she wants "ooh I think ur pretty i like u pls suck my dick"

to be fair, I have been a guy working in tech for about 17 years and the fucking beard-neck, cringy man-children in my departments have made me feel uncomfortable too. I mean holy shit, some of them are fucked up

slide
or at least post this to r9k op

I don't do that.
But if she was attracted to this guy she would've taken advantage of the situation. Now she's just taking advantage of it in a different way.

Pretty much. I've met some really fucking cringy ass people in tech.

If it weren't for the money I would have gone back to my public park groundskeeper job in a heartbeat. Some of the best people I've worked with in my life were at that job and 70% of them barely completed high school.

>angel.co/wethos

>linkedin.com/in/rachel-renock-7459146a

> the first socially-conscious freelance platform where the gig economy can meet meaningful work.

>medium.com/@rachren1

She tries to sell virtue signalling.

There is an irrational lack of Indian whamen in silicon valley, especially as compared to Indian men. Clearly this is a result of sexism and racism and somethings must be done about it. Equality brings new dimention to solutions and thoughts, thereby helping the organization. I hope to see more Indian whamen CEOs rather than males.

So they're all talking about one single creep

And that's somehow indicative of a "culture of harrassment"?

Fuck off and shut the fuck up. Women in tech are fucking prized pigs. They can walk into any top 20 tech company with mediocre talent and skill and be catapulted to the top purely because they have a vagina.

I work for one and it's fucking hilarious, one of the projects had no fewer than 3 female senior tech leads. Not one of them had a clue what they were talking about, or the technical considerations of the projects they were supposed to be running, and they were constantly bitching and catfighting with one another on conference calls trying to be the queen bee. Eventually it ended up in a situation where they were arranging separate status calls daily, and demanding their technical staff (exclusively MALE) attend all 3 for an hour each because they were incapable of coordinating without it degenerating into catty idiocy.

How long can women get away with pretending to be an oppressed class when society is currently bending backwards to accommodate them in almost every way possible?

I had a female boss once at bloomberg(financial software company). She didn't understand the tech at all and it was really confusing why or how she was managing people without a clue about how the software works.

Women are oppressed by societies demand that they be child-bearers first. They don't get any of the same incentives that men do to be worthwhile members of society unless they are on the path to or already are fulfilling there child-bearing responsibilities.

So for people who don't quite understand how news is made; let me explain to you how this article was written.

The leftist author knowing that women are super oppressed and that men are bad came to the conclusion (before doing any research or looking for any facts) that women face abnormal amounts of harassment in this male dominated field. The author then contacted women until they found people who told them what they wanted to hear. They ignored all other sources of information and only ran with the ones that supported the conclusion they came to before doing any research.

Also negative news about tech is great click bait, everyone loves to read about how the technocrats are evil.

>Can't make anything useful
>I know, I will call out the patriarchy

They look like they've been hit with shell shock

This. Holy fuck I'm sick of the liberal lies. Women and niggers are both heavily advantaged if they're not incompetent.

I always figured news was written that way, but I experienced it first hand when the Guardian called me for information they were doing on an anti-Trump piece.

Since Donald Trump got elected, Women are so scared a lot more are taking self-defense classes!

They called, asked me if we had any women doing that. The answer was of course no.

Of course, for the article they had found numerous people say that was the case. They even cited how high enrollments were post Donald Trump election! Wow, really telling?

Oh wait, no. As I told the reporter, that time of year is one of the busiest for new enrollments -
New Year's resolutions. Of course that didn't make it into the article. The few cherry picked numbers and examples did.

We actually did have one person who came it for self-defense because of Trump, it was a guy though so it didn't qualify for the criteria. The person that met with them told me they were a total nutjob and didn't join the gym.

web.archive.org/web/20170701173941/https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/dec/06/women-abuse-self-defense-conflict-resolution-donald-trump

>coworker

Read the fucking article, retard. They sought out these men and made arrangements to take their money. We're not speaking about some douchebag coworker that you have no choice but to work with.

>to be fair, I have been a guy working in tech for about 17 years and the fucking beard-neck, cringy man-children in my departments have made me feel uncomfortable too. I mean holy shit, some of them are fucked up

This. He is a beta, yet somehow got into a position where he can distribute LP's capital as he sees fit - he thinks he is an alpha now. So he acts very creepy - with women who went to Harvard and come from upper middle class families - not exactly the kind of girls you can get away with harassing ad infinitum. They got together with a reporter, and now he is finished.

He is a young guy who was in a great position and fucked it all up. He could have been screwing women left and right, but he is completely inept, and fucked himself up.