Rust Cohle

I think human consciousness, is a tragic misstep in evolution. We became too self-aware, nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself, we are creatures that should not exist by natural law. We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self; an accretion of sensory, experience and feeling, programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everybody is nobody. Maybe the honorable thing for our species to do is deny our programming, stop reproducing, walk hand in hand into extinction, one last midnight - brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OM9jhGiIAFM
youtube.com/watch?v=ARMF1Qr-zDI
youtu.be/de2grEPn7rg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Wessel_Zapffe
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

shut up faggot

This will be too much for mouth-breathing Trump fanboys to grasp.

You and OP in a nutshell:
youtube.com/watch?v=OM9jhGiIAFM

Amazing series

By the end of the series Cohle has seen his daughter and father in heaven awaiting him, Pizzolato puts these words in Cohle's mouth at the beginning of the first season because this is exactly what the Cryptocracy believes and teaches everyday, but it is a lie, Pizzolato knows this hence Cohle's conversion after they put down Childress at the hell portal site.

Holy fuck

I can't contain my almonds

They've been overactivated

hi OP, if you agree with this statement, I would be happy to offer you some alternative perspectives. The discipline of Zen and religion of Hinduism (although this comes with all sorts of supernatural accompaniment) are in a way centered around this truth - that the self is an illusion.
However, this is not at all seen as a bad thing.

Zen is dense and requires much study to understand, unfortunately. I can recommend some profound but very western-friendly readings or lectures to you, though, by the late philosopher Alan Watts.

rust cuck

*tips animal mask*

Pizzaman didn't realize that Cohle's fedora tipping only works when contrasted with the 'every-man' attitude of Marty. This is why season 2 failed, because every character was essentially unhinged Rust, spouting off philosophical nonsense with no constraint.

The best argument I've ever seen against nihilism in my life was presented in the form of an edited panel from a Donald Duck cartoon.

Create your own meaning and fight for it, or perish like a dog. The choice is yours to make.

Also this

it's a good season, did the second one at least live up? didn't really hear much about it

What's scented meat?

They made him cry like a bitch at the very end, spoiled my favorite character. "See? Cynicism can be cured by going into a coma, forget all that nonsense about time being a flat circle and those kids being captive for all eternity, Nietzsche had like, no chill."

Fun thing is that nihilism is still true. All those "meanings" and "purposes" are are made-up to make people feel that there is some value to their lifes, but there isn't.

youtube.com/watch?v=ARMF1Qr-zDI

it was okay, nothing compared to the first season unfortunately.

>go into coma after getting beat to death
>experience a legitimate spiritual moment, sensing his dead daughter, thinks he's going to join her in the afterlife that he was certain didn't exist
>wake up
Cried like a bitch? Jesus user have a fucking heart you sociopath

Casper knew this.

Start by killing yourself. Take with you some Jews, thanks.

Yeah, the series came close to being a true blackpill but seemed afraid to do so at the very end. My favorite neo-Western is No Country for Old Men for the exact reason that it embraces the blackpill.

That's the point, you and I would cry like civilians, Rust Cohle was supposed to transcend that shit, dismiss his sentimental hallucination for what it was, and get to work on finding the rest of the pedophiles in season 2.

If everything is made up, a made up purpose is literally as real as it is possible for anything to be.

If that isn't sufficient, choose to die like a dog then. It makes no difference, but is probably less enjoyable, right?

I used to be big into pessimistic philosophy and weird fiction like Thomas Ligotti, but I dropped it once I started questioning the horrifying ethical implications of atheistic materialism. Moral nihilism is not something to joke about like many edgelords do. I am agnostic about the possibility of eschatological reward and punishment, and I find most morality gets its justification from this, not necessarily from the existence of a god.

Alan Watts isn't genuinely enlightened. Read Red Pine instead, faggot.

>No Country For Old Men

My nigga. One of my favorite movies of all time.

Nah m8, he fulfilled his obligation. That task was far too big for one man to take down entirely and he knew it. Besides, they imply that (forgot the last guys name) was the last member of this once much larger cult I felt.

>[nowhere near finding out about anything to do with the plot]
>hey cohle, check dis paint out
>"the fuck you on about marty?"
>deez ears are the same color as dis thing 'ere
>[intense staring]
>"son of a bitch..."
Series was almost perfect until that point.

I chose hedonism, actually

Actually same, paint job was the lousiest plot hole I've ever seen

I just hope he didn't find God late in life and start being polite to Marty or something. I liked blackpilled Matthew Mcconaughey, "shut yer legs, whore, I just want pills. I have neuropathy and there is no God and I slap people bigger than me." so good

alan watts is just an introductory figure (although I wonder how YOU are so able to discern who is enlightened and who is not).

Read D.T. Suzuki

That would still be nihilism you dunce, go read nieztsche.

Our brain stuffed with questionable software, wchich full of bugs and glitches. If consciouness is OS, than it is Win95.

Main problem is read/write function on childhood adaptstions, you can rewrite them only in tranced state. It causes many problems in adulthood, because to succed one must relearn often and critisize almost any aspect of social life.

DT Suzuki is shit, just like your mind. A real, modern enlightened figure is Kusan Sunim. Also, I bet you're the kind of faggot that thinks "proper posture" is necessary in Shikantaza though.

I don't know about these figures you reference but it is clear from the way you speak that you yourself are still clinging to discriminating opinions.

The wild geese do not intend to cast their reflection; The water has no mind to retain their image.

Fine then you warrior of semantics, it's the best argument against the stereotypical existential dread most typically brought on by nihilist thoughts. Go correct someone's spelling, or something equally pedantic.

You're no Han Shan, faggot. I have been doing Shikantaza for a long time, and there is absolutely nothing great about enlightenment if rebirth after cessation of bodily functions isn't true. The whole point of Zen is to purify the storehouse consciousness, thus becoming one with the womb of the Buddhas (Tathagatagharba), and one achieves pairinirvana at death's door, as the Lankavatara Sutra discusses. If you claim death is eternal oblivion for all, then we cannot reconcile normativity with naturalism, and thus, we need some kind of eschatological reward and punishment system to justify moral claims, such as in the case attaining positive rebirth. Modern Westerners are destroying Buddhism by trying to "secularize" it and eliminate aspects they deem "supernatural" or contrary to scientific explanation, but this is stupid in the fact it conflates metaphysics with science.

What I'm trying to say is Nietzschean Death of God, which validates Sadean principle "everything is permissible" ultimately, is a consequence of removing eschatological reward and punishment, and this applies to all religions that become 'secularized'. There is no incentive to be compassionate if there is no greater reward or punishment beyond death, and even the Diamond Sutra couldn't avoid this .

thats just existentialism, which is a semantic work around of nihilism

daily reminder that it's unjustifiably selfish and immoral to reproduce

The only way you can justify antinatalism is through some kind of Gnostic or similar worldview. If you're an atheistic materialist/physicalist, then you cannot justify antinatalism beyond mere fancy.

You are conflicting 'self'' with 'self-image'.

Antinatlism is one reason I think that the sterilization of people in impoverished countries would be pretty gud. Africa especially. We give them aid and support, don't we? Not having kids is the least they could do for us. It fixes the immigration problem, too. Two birds, one stone. Also, anyone that believes in reincarnation will be glad to find that their next life might likely be higher and loftier since they have less chance of being born in shitty conditons.

On topic, I think Cohle had the right idea. Bringing people into the world is a tricky deal, despite all the happiness possible in life.

Life = suffering. No life = no suffering. How else do you want to justify it?

No, you are being simple-minded. Look up 'is-ought gap'. Suffering would be intrinsically neutral without some kind of grandiose metaphysical explanation, it just being neural activity in materialist metaphysical worldview. Furthermore, David Benatar's arguments are flawed. I prefer the golden brick argument where throwing a golden brick into someone's house, with possibility of killing them, would be considered unethical due to lack of consent. Granted, if the brick doesn't hit the person, they live a happy life, but if it does, then obviously they're gone. Having a child is a lot like that since we are throwing children to the whims of fate, but my point is, since we cannot reconcile naturalism with normativity, there is no "ought" either way. Someone would say, "So what? I'll pop out the kid and he'll fare himself. It's neither good or bad!" For this reason I am child-free, not antinatalist, on the fact that I have no real argument to justify antinatalism.

consciousness is the only thing that makes living worth it.

You can type out as much technical jargon as you like but what you are saying just shows you are entirely uneducated on the subject

if you understood zen then you wouldn't be saying we need anything. We don't need to justify moral claims, zen makes it moot.

You are like the wind, and who blames the wind when it leaves destruction in its wake?

Blah blah, you are just relying on sophism. There were many Zen/Ch'an patriarchs that valued study complemented with practice. Look at Nagarjuna's MMK; Buddhists did not refrain from using technical jargon for expedient purposes. Rather than making this about me, exposing your obsession with egocentric bubbles, focus on the content of what I am saying, or maybe you're just too lazy to learn?

Study and practice are excellent. There is nothing wrong with the use of jargon, but at present you are as an infant: seeing your mother point at something she wishes to show you, you suckle at her finger rather than turn and look.

You believe there is a need to justify moral claims. This alone is sufficient to show that despite your technical knowledge, you do not understand zen.

It's OK to allow the possibility of misunderstanding. We are all working to improve our practice.

That and no woman would touch you, you fat cunt

You are a New Age faggot. Compassion that is not naturally emerge from selflessness.

I am already married and have decided with my wife to have no children.

>Compassion that is not
Compassion does not*

>eschatological reward and punishment
Why does everyone ignore that these rewards or punishments can be just as persuasive to make men uncooperative and heinous?

Elaborate. What you are saying makes absolutely no sense to me.

What's there to explain? Why does a Jihadi commit suicide to kill others? Is he not motivated by reward in the afterlife?

I really dislike this fake grandiose way of typing by hippies and conceited "Zen" Buddhists, as if they know everything from reading a couple of pop books rather than getting involved in the tradition. They deflect all legitimate criticism or thought with juvenile sophism and misuse of tetralemma. Congratulations! You have made Zen into just as dogmatic as Christianity but in a different way. When one confronts you with actual criticisms, you deflect them with philistine approach of encouraging not to think at all, a horrendous misinterpretation of Dogen's "non-thinking". Actually, I'd go a step further and call Christianity less dogmatic because they are not anti-intellectual and still value St. Aquinas' scholastic tradition.

Well, most of us do not accept the metaphysics that underlie the ethical claims of Jihadist. So the issue is less with the eschatology giving strength to ethical structures and moreso with the actual metaphysics surrounding it. Does that make sense?

Thread should have ended here.

While you virgins argue about nihilism and shit, I am spreading my seed in white blond women

T. Ahmed

I don't give a shit where you put your dick, Ahmed. You stupid motherfucking asshole. You may put in billions of women, but will that fill the void in your heart? Will that help you come closer to understanding yourself, your place in this universe, you goddamn philistine scum. You are so pathetic that you need instant gratification to give your life any meaning. It is as if you are in the middle of raging sea and want to jerk off to deal with the stress. So stupid... so small and insignificant you are in mentality. Look at the woman's face after you ejaculate, calmly. Is there truly any beauty there beyond the apparitions of your own mind? What are you? Who am I? You are just a pathetic piece of shit, worthless scum, the only Buddhanature you possess is death. Off yourself.

Nice long rant.
Life is too short to not enjoy instant gratification. Who doesn't love pink pussy of some nice white woman ?
If I'd spend my time reading intellectual books I'd get depressed as shit.

Damn that was such a good show

It's too bad they fucked up Season 2 so bad

Season 3 when?

"Take a look sometime at the face of a dog who’s just had sex. He just stares into space with strangely empty eyes. It’s exactly the same with people – in the beginning they work themselves up into a frenzy, and in the end there’s nothing at all."
-- Kodo Sawaki

You are that dog, you stupid piece of shit, but he dog has honor unlike you. The reason you don't read is because you are worse than a women, you close your eyes to striving for truth because you are weak. Weak and feeble down to your core, all that helps you cope is sexual indulgence. Pathetic, retarded!

I disagree. Women are the most beautiful thing created in this shitty universe. They are amazing, smell nice, have their bad sides of course but i like love and feeling women.
I spent my whole early adult life reading and studying only. Made me depressed as shit. Now that I have money I feel amazing while I enjoy women.

Are you ám actual solipsist propanadist?

>Women are the most beautiful thing created in this shitty universe
Do whatever you want, but deep down you know you are pathetic.

Thats existentialsm you muppet and existentialism is dumb

here is the counterpill to your blackpill, OP

youtu.be/de2grEPn7rg

Rust's mistake is believing that awareness -> disliking reality.

Clearly, from a Darwinian POV, only those who ENJOY REALITY, will survive.

Every genetically depressive cunt will kill themselves sooner or later, removing their unfit depression genes. E.g. Sarah Silverman.

Good stuff

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Wessel_Zapffe

This guy said the exact same thing you just said