What is Sup Forums's opinion on Buddhism...

What is Sup Forums's opinion on Buddhism? My friend told me it is actually the ultimate red-pill regarding the true nature of reality. Is this true?

Other urls found in this thread:

buddhanet.net/pdf_file/scrndhamma.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=D5V0_FK_vz8
youtube.com/watch?v=GtAl9zJ3t-M
accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn47/sn47.007.than.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Buddhism
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budai
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Normie bluepill

Eh, it's pretty damn close to a red pill but not really.
There's too much mythology around it.
For example, true enlightenment isn't actually achievable, though it IS something you can keep working towards to better yourself.
If you spend your life imitating Buddah, you will actually lose a bit of your self.

Decide for yourself, the Dhammapada is a short text that is considered to contain the core of Buddha's teachings.

buddhanet.net/pdf_file/scrndhamma.pdf

Also, how does sitting cross-legged meditating magically make you (supposedly) more empathetic and happy?

From what I hear, it is mostly empirical, and basically follows the scientific method... you just have to do it yourself. That's intriguing and unique amongst major religions

>you will actually lose a bit of your self.
bit if, as Busshism claims, the self is false, you simply gain insight into how things always were. Agree about the mythology though, that's a turn off. What if I just meditate for a long ass time and not become Buddhist?

Buddhism is not a red pill; Buddhism teaches that there are no red pills.

wouldn't tat then be the ultimate redpill? To know that there really is no such thing?

Isn't the sitting cross legged shit just used to sell "much eastern philosophy" to soccermoms.

but that's why it IS the red pill...

You are missing the point. Look at how many people on this website pursue and cling to the idea of the 'redpill' as some sort of indicator of how to live their life by. Despite the fact there is no clear definition of what the red pill is exactly people come onto Sup Forums asking if 'x is redpilled' or how to redpill their girlfriends, friends and so on. It is representative of the many insecure, angry and isolated individuals who come here in search of a surrogate community to give them a sense of purpose and a sense of place yet it is insufficient for their overall happiness and for providing a meaningful existence beyond reifying their isolation, frustration and confusion.

Suicide is easier

meh, I guess. From my exensive sdtufying, meditation can be executed just as effectively sitting in achar (so long as you remain aware and mindful since that's what counts). Again, this is just from reading, never tried it

You should watch The Zen of ZFG, which incorporates some elements of Buddhist philosophy.

youtube.com/watch?v=D5V0_FK_vz8

I guess it's not that bad then, good for business, at least for the male teachers, if these "single wives" fall for it.

The main teaching of Buddhism - the root of suffering is attachment and aversion. Meditate hard, focus on your focusing, pay attention to your attention, learn to experience life without attachment and aversion, and learn to act completely in the moment without being attached to any result.

Eventually, you will learn to hold even your own body and your own mind quite loosely. You will realize death is no big deal, it is only a natural change, a transformative stage in an eternal cycle. Death is like taking off a shoe that's too tight.

Sure bud there's nothing and no one to look forward to so fuck it.

I was brainwashed Catholic as I grew up, and it actually caused me a lot of mental distress because I didn't want to believe in it, there was too much shit that I learned from religious studies that showed how Catholicism was really just a garbage religion. My distaste was also caused by my local Catholic community. So I began a personal form of meditation inspired by Zen Buddhism, and I loved learning and practicing Zen. I enjoy the sacredness of it, but I try not to become a crazy wackjob like most white people who start to practice Buddhism, "Mah spiritualness blah blah"

Black Pill, literally. Rather kys now if you consider it red pilled

sitting lotus with good posture is about the blood flow from the head

straight posture makes you feel more awake then slouching over, more "in the moment" which is quite important in buddhism

Bs like every other religion

Not going to lie, idiots love to buy anything that has the title "Buddhist" or Meditation" for it. There are fucking mats that you can buy for meditation that are absurdly overpriced, so I never bought one, because its just a scam in America.

As for sitting cross legged, it's mostly tradition that American Buddhists have tried to copy. Started in Hinduism, where Raja Yogis believed that in order to enter deep meditation, you must sit up straight and cross your legs in either a full lotus or half lotus, so that your breathing can be much more relaxed. Don't ask me how that involves your legs. But when your breathing was relaxed, then you wouldn't be distracted by it when you began deep meditation.

It is definitely enlightening. Forget any teaches past Siddhartha Gautama.

The goal is to gain Nirvana and to not have to be reborn again. If everyone is Buddhist no one has sex and no one has children, so no one is reborn.

This is the Karma, the Balance that is fundamental in the universe. Buddha never stated what the "right" answer is just the facts.

This is the red pill. The universe does not give a fuck about us. Perhaps the ultimate goal is to not exist physically. Who the fuck knows?

But Buddha definitely states the facts clearly and demonstrated karma and balance in the universe and how once should live according to these facts.

I will tell you if you beg me to do so

Probably more positive if you're turned off by it. It's more effective in terms of self reflection than say prayer or whatever you might have tried.

All is one!?

You would think if the floating around and transcendent shit was real, after some few hundred or thousand years everybody would be doing it. It wouldn't be locked up in some secret mountain only Brad Pitt and Batman can get to.

They seem to be a beacon of hope in a dying world.

Religion = Church + Faith
Buddhism = Church - Faith
Its pretty cool, but we will likely see it become absolved into some sort of "Far-East" Christianity.
Allegedly, Catholocism and Chrisstianity are starting to become more popular in larger Asian coutnries that normally abstain from Faith based "religions".

buddha and shiva are real iv met them
im not a shitskin or asian, i never knew them before i met them

they told me to sit indian style and i left my body and ascended into the heavens

the connections between meditation and dmt realease is crazy. having experienced complete ego loss on 5meodmt, its insanely similar to what you read about in buddhist enlightenment. look into that shit

Literally the only belief system that the leader of claims that any beliefs that are disproven by science will be abandoned. As someone that has achieved Zen, yes, it is the ultimate red pill. If you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha. The universe is a mostly dark and cold and empty place and doesn't give a shit about humanity and their struggles. Suffering exists. Life is suffering. The source of suffering is desire. One can reduce suffering by walking the eightfold path.

Are you retarded?

Anyway, Buddhism is based. It attracts a lot of "dude weed lmao" but if the deeper you get into it, the more it can snap you out of that idiocy. It's not all love, peace, and harmony. A lot of it is, but if you can't appreciate those things on some level, then you're probably a hopeless moron.

See: Ashin Wirathu

All I know is that I have felt true happiness just by meditation, and I feel like I could have done better.

We are not meant to feel like we do....Buddhism really is the true path. You will not reach Nirvana because you will not follow it strictly. Maybe it is impossible but you will truly feel happy.

That problem you have? It's not a problem. You'll think about everything differently see with your third eye. You senses can only see what TPTB want you to see. The third eye is invariant and will always see truth. Your real eyes were supposed to just augment your third eye. Your third eye is your thoughts. Want to see clearly with your third eye? Practicing meditation is the path.

Removes kebab, true religion of peace.
youtube.com/watch?v=GtAl9zJ3t-M

it's stupid. The premise that you can transcend the cycle of life is ridiculous, and we have no evidence of souls or reincarnation

Have you considered it is not about you?

The universe does not care about good or bad. It just is. Something cares about good or bad: us.

Who creates good or bad? Us.

Remove us and we reach Nirvana and transcend the cycle of life.

>For example, true enlightenment isn't actually achievable
Where are you getting this from? It's 100% achievable and I've met monks who I'm 99.9% sure had reached at least the lower levels of enlightenment.

>Also, how does sitting cross-legged meditating magically make you (supposedly) more empathetic and happy?
It doesn't. Meditation is a tool and it's not one that's specific to Buddhism. What Buddhism does is teach a specific path of mental training using meditation, among other tools, in order to comprehend the true nature of suffering so that you can free yourself from it. You could meditate 8 hours a day but it wouldn't do you any good if you weren't doing it with the right purpose in mind.

that is just a way of sitting.
Meditation is not supposed to make you happy or empathetic.
Meditation is not a tool for gain something.
you can meditate sit in the greek way.
also most of greek thinkers used to meditate.
Christians priests and monks developed some of the most technically complex kind of meditations, Jesus was said to keep up long periods of adoration without saying any prayer.
Meditation is not a way to have a prize,it is the prize.
Ofc ,if you go in a crowded place with your gay polystyrene carpet your just virtue signalling ,and at the most you are doing the hippy.

Enlightenment is definitely reachable.

For example, you can know about the pedophile rings and know you should not buy that nintendo switch because (they) wan you to consume. But you don't really do anything about the pedo ring because you cannot anyway and you go ahead and buy that nintendo switch anyway to be happyish.

Congrats, you reached enlightenment but cannot act it out. That is a whole other story. That is nirvana.

Sage

Son, you obviously have no idea what you're talking about and you need to knock it off. I understand that you read a couple books about the Asian fanfiction version of Buddhism and you think you've got it all figured out but the kind of nonsense you've been posting in this thread is one of the prime things that turns so many intelligent, rational people away from Buddhism.

>13 year olds understanding of buddhism

yo did you meet buddha or shiva? isnt ego loss the most beautiful thing ever? i experienced it on a lot of fresh field shrooms

To understand Buddhism just listen to Pink Floyd's Eclipse.

every white man should read the dhammapada by the buddha and meditations by marcus aurelius. they are remarkably similar and i think they can help bridge the gap between pagan larpers and christian moralfags

im pre sure i took a lethal amount of shrooms and died physically, which set off my pineal gland, producing enough dmt to get me into the heavens, im almost certain that will happen again to me if i die in a peaceful state, or try dmt, god dam i want some dmt so bad

Your tailbone and knees form a tripod of support. It's about being rooted- not metaphorically but literally, firmly in place

>t. guy who doesn't understand Buddhism

Buddha told his followers to avoid listening to music.

Tell that to my mom. She'all be glad I came back to the Christian church.

>t. Buddhist for almost a decade now

music is a huge distraction, when you get up into the heavens you hear shapes.. and and like magical bell tones and chimes its so crazy fuck i want some dmt, ego detachment from dmt is the ultimate red pill, it makes these worldly things instantly forgettable

not as psychotic as the (((Abrahamic))) religions but like most eastern religions it is basically a philosophy to keep you a good docile serf, literally "let go of your desires so you won't suffer, don't care about anything lmao" so people wouldn't stand up against their feudal masters as they enslaved them and raped their wives

Bantz aside though it's about detachment from earthly pleasures. To get scientific, kitties don't like Peter Gabriel, fish don't understand B#; enjoying music is a human thing. We choose to be happy when we hear it. This is the "problem." Additionally, (((music))) isn't the best in 2017

Better give your mom a call, then.

>accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn47/sn47.007.than.html
>"For this reason, you should not wander into what is not your proper range and is the territory of others. In one who wanders into what is not his proper range and is the territory of others, Mara gains an opening, Mara gains a foothold. And what, for a monk, is not his proper range and is the territory of others? The five strands of sensuality. Which five? Forms cognizable by the eye - agreeable, pleasing, charming, endearing, fostering desire, enticing. Sounds cognizable by the ear... Aromas cognizable by the nose... Flavors cognizable by the tongue... Tactile sensations cognizable by the body - agreeable, pleasing, charming, endearing, fostering desire, enticing. These, for a monk, are not his proper range and are the territory of others."

Buddhism is queer but transcendental meditation is the bee's penis

You're getting too specific. It's the difference between st Augustine and st francis. A life of pure denial isn't what Buddhism means. If you kbownyour stuff you'll remember Buddha even tried that for some time. Music isn't just entertainment, it's a universal language

I do feel as though I'm peeking into the soul/mind of the musician whilst listening

the ultimate red pill was Greco-Buddhism when Greeks ruled over Afghanistan and the religion was a mix of Stoicism/Theravada
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Buddhism

Here's where you fucked UP
>you are
>specific soul
>another person

Your friend is retarded.
Trust in Jesus.

^

So.... everyone and everything is God?

You will stop caring about all this ideology bullshit and actually begin to enjoy your life again.

I cut my time on Sup Forums by at least 50% since I started meditating regulary (30 min in the morning 30 min before bed)

youre probably Christian-raised. In terms you'll understand:
>can a kitty have the holy spirit?
In true Buddhist fashion, I won't give you an answer. Enjoy this for the rest of your life

Getting too specific by not trying to distort the Buddha's teachings? This is just one example and I could provide you with plenty of other places in the suttas that back this up. The dangers and drawbacks of the five strands of sensuality are mentioned all over. When the Buddha literally says, "You should not..." and you try to rationalize it, I'm not sure what you think you're achieving.

I frequently see dilettantes attempt to use their flawed understanding of the concept of a middle path as an excuse for indulging in a variety of sense pleasures but even a casual study will show you that this sort of thing is cautioned against strongly and repeatedly.

theres also pure land buddhism which is popular in China and which is essentially a series of messianic cults, and they actively state meditation is a waste of time and that you should just pray to Bodhisattvas.

If all Buddhists are this pretentious I'm gonna stick with the good book

Good post.
Even better will be the feeling once they realise it themselves throught meditation.

One thing that shattered all of my ideological clings was the moment when I realised how fucking worthless all this knowledge is. A retard that actually does things even unknowingly will have more success than all of these pseudo intellectuals in the masturbatoriums on here.
It literally makes no difference if you tell it to them or not. It just doesn't reach the point where it actually makes impact on their lifes. Ever.

user, I understand and agree with you, but the root issue isn't music, it's human interaction with it. Only sounds made by earth are legitimate? No! The takeaway point is to be detached from it effecting you in any way. I'm too tired to debate this, but thanks for quality posts and thanks everyone for making a nice thread without shills for once.

I considered myself a Stoic before I became a Therada Buddhist and I find no conflict between the two. They're generally very complimentary. But since there aren't any philosophy schools where you can go to be trained by the Stoics, if you want to practice a living religion then Theravada is your best bet.

Yellow Christianity. Next!

Very underrated values of self-improvement, wish it were more popular.

That's the way.

If you manage to not swing hard into the other direction (fedora tipping atheist) than you have achieved a lot.

All of these pagan and Christian fags around here just can't take responsibility for a good life beyond their indoctrinated pathways.

Hehehe that's good too user. In some schools the teachers hit the students on the head while they meditate. One time this wanna-be supposedly meditated for a long ass time by himself, claimed to be enlightened and write a short poem about the four winds or w/e and sent that to an enlightened monk for confirmation he was enlightened. The enlightened monk sent his poem back but crossed out Winds and put Farts lololol.

Buddha was a pedophile.

Buddha was a kiddy fiddler.

The Lotus posture is actually not recommended at all for westerners. In India they train this sick childhood.

It is also not mandatory at all. Observing your thoughts and emotions can be done even while doing work after a while.

>tfw Buddhism teaches life is suffering and reality is an illusion

>tfw you explain that you think life is suffering and reality is an illusion with out even using the term Buddhism to a psychologist and she tells you that you are suffering from schizophrenia

Psychology is a fucking joke

They're absolutely not. Please ignore him. I don't know why this kind of person likes to latch onto Buddhism but guys like these
take this bizarre mix of new age spirituality and hippie drug culture, sprinkle it with some superficial understanding of Buddhism, and go around passing themselves off as enlightened Buddhist and posting silly masturbatory nonsense like you see in these posts.

I became a Buddhist about ten years later than I otherwise would have because I encountered these people everywhere and wrongly assumed that they were real Buddhists and that their pseudo-spiritual babble was what one could expect from Buddhism.

It is not a religion you mart sharter.
It lacks many core characteristics of the other (((religions)))

Stop watching so much television you tard.

Actually it's faith -church

Buddha was known for his diddling.

>lewd

That's because christianity is the perfect ideology for poor people.

Way, WAY better than buddhism.

satan dubbs.

He was a rude lewd dude with a bigot's big fat tude and a big tube of lube.

>Why da universe not my sky mommy that takes care of me >:o

>t. buddha

I thought buddhism practiced fasting why is he fat if they do this ?

Sorry to ruin it for you user, but that's a Chinese folk deity who has nothing to do with the Buddha.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budai
>In the West, the image of Budai is often mistaken for that of Gautama Buddha, and is hence called the Fat Buddha

:/ for me personally I know I won't reach nirvana, and I feel honestly called to the field of social work and politics because I am 100% dedicated to fixing this broken world, so I am sacrificing a lot in my personal life to become something larger than myself. I accept I'm not the best Buddhist, but don't insult me user. I hate those faggots that shop at third planet too, I'm just trying to generally inform the other posters on a topic I personally deal with irl. Maybe you'd like to explain to what the lesson of is. I'm pooping rn so I'm actually not in bed yet but gonna stop posting after this.

Most people know that feeling if they have had a happy childhood.

Literally 90% of the millenials became such faggots in their early teens.

Also avoid all this spiritual language. You will always be misunderstood. You would also not walk into the hood and recite Shakespeare.

You sound like a degenerate addict.

Most noobs in buddhism are bluepilled normies. Their are secrets hidden within the esoteric teachings however...

You don't choose shit you retard. Either you enjoy it or you don't

You aren't supposed to let other things make you happy or sad user. That's the core idea.
(Sorry I lied nite nite niggas)

>trust in the guy who trusted judas

Good one. Are there more of those ?