ON A SIDE NOTE:

This #CNNBlackmail Scandal has finally made me decide my opinion on the issue of doxing: it needs to be made illegal.

Before, I was on the fence about it but always had an uneasy feeling. The reason for this is because I noticed that most of the time it was used to censor and destroy the lives of people with differing political opinions and people making a simple joke. Hell, I've seen examples where some irrational busybodies spied on other people because of something they overheard and/or see that wasn't intended/directed towards them and subsequently they doxed them to destroy those people's lives.

This crosses the line, an institution of great power and influence just realized they could use their vast resources and manpower to silence critics via doxing. Imagine other news organizations, political parties, and governments doing this. This sets an incredibly dangerous precedent where Freedom of Speech will be destroyed through implicit indirect threats. Doxing does nothing but silence people of differing opinions and critics. What the fuck does someone's personal and living information have to do with a political issue: how does that defeat the logic behind their arguments? It doesn't, it just ruins lives because you have a differing opinion. FFS, the very definition of doxing states the intent is just to hurt individuals.

>"Dox - search for and publish private or identifying information about (a particular individual) on the Internet, typically with malicious intent."

Doxing needs to be made illegal, it has gone too far.

I agree, while the normies will shudder and cringe over this kid/guy's meme about jews working at CNN, the idea alone that this corrupt fake-news mill could go out and dox people with impunity is very dystopian and terrifying.

>I want citizens right to investigate things made illegal

KILL YOURSELF SCUM

Agreed.
You'd think they'd have already made it illegal with the chans' exploits.

your lies don't work here JEWS

go gas yourselves

Then again, there are already laws for what CNN just did so lets keep our guns.

This. There are already laws against what CNN did

how about if you dox someone without contacting them beforehand about it, that be fine.

But when you effectively approach or contact them beforehand and use the release of their info as some leverage, then yea, that should be illegal.

>Right To Investigate made illegal.

Fuck you Shill, this isn't about the right to investigate. What does posting someone's personal information, like their home address, have to do with an political issue? You investigate to know what an organization is really doing, to see if there are any trends needing to be reported, if there is an issue being ignored, and etc.

You know goddamn well that doxing is nothing but a tool to silence people you don't agree with and/or personally offended you.

>"Oh look, I just happen to post your full name, how to contact you, and where you and your family lives because you don't believe in Universal Healthcare. I'm not doing it myself, but I sure 'hope' no irrational people decide to contact you nonstop with death threats and physically show up to your house to do God knows what :) ;)

>stifling civilian investigations

doxxing is just internet based research, what ccn did seems to be coercive blackmail.

>it needs to be made illegal.

Publishing someone's information publicly isn't illegal.
Threatening to publish someone's information publically if they don't do what you tell them or else, is very illegal.

CNN broke the law already. There is no need for more laws. Just enforce the ones you've got.

I'm ambivalent though some fag doxed the reporters whole family, on twatter, his wife, father and brother. That's way over the line.

get out of Sup Forums t_d fag

No.

I think address and phone number should be off limits

Name etc are up to you to hide

> doxxing is just research
> CNN stating there are conditions which would prompt said "research" this faggot is blackmail

This is so unfair!

Good luck with that. Right wingers will continue to bitch about being doxxed and continue to preach "we must use the left's own tactics against them" and the circle of hypocrisy will continue forevermore.

the fun we had with the "you wil not divide us" thing will not work if we have weird laws like you want.

You'd think Anonymous would be against doxxing from the get-go!

Nice try shariablue

If you are posting original material on the Internet, you are not a private citizen.

>"Don't hit people"
>"Hit back if someone hits you"

Not seeing a problem

There is a difference between someone using information that is publicly made available thanks to your own decisions versus someone breaking privacy policies to obtain information on you.

Okay who did Eric Clanton dox again?

Bump for justice thread

I dont think doxxing should be illegal.
I think people that do this shit need to realize that they are putting themselves in just as much danger as the people they're doxxing.
I've noticed that liberals have started to dox people less and less because they end up getting targeted themselves when they do it.
CNN apparently doesnt realize this shit goes 2 ways yet.

Not just doxxing, all forms of datamining and personal information storage and sharing (ie Facebook plugins) should absolutely be illegal.

nigger, do you know where you are right now?

Sup Forums invented doxxing

>Publishing someone's information publicly isn't illegal.
>Threatening to publish someone's information publically if they don't do what you tell them or else, is very illegal.
So you were saying it would have been better in all ways for cnn to jus doxx him: "This is the person that made that meme"

Doxxing till proven guilty

I agree with most of what you've said but
> an institution of great power and influence just realized they could use their vast resources and manpower to silence critics via doxing.
Where were you when this place (amongst others) was doxxing that drunk Indian Doctor after she attacked that Uber driver?
Or is it only
>muh BAD
when it's CNN going after a redditor?

The issue, for the most part, is that employers don't seem to have a backbone when it comes to harassing calls following a dox. They're willing to cut the harassed employee loose at a moment's notice.

I guarantee if they waited a week, maybe even a few days, the harassing caller's short attention spans will have them focused on the next issue to piss and moan about.

>Before, I was on the fence about it but always had an uneasy feeling. The reason for this is because I noticed that most of the time it was used to censor and destroy the lives of people with differing political opinions and people making a simple joke.

>Before, I was on the fence about it but always had an uneasy feeling.

>The reason for this is because I noticed that MOST OF THE TIME it was used to censor and destroy the lives of people with differing political opinions and people making a simple joke.

It goes without saying Doxxing has been used for good, like with Eric Clanton and that Doctor Uber thing. Unfortunately, it's been used most of the time to ruin innocent people's lives. This CNN scandal finally push me over to the side of the fence (that I was already leaning towards) that it should be illegal.

It is ironic that doxxing is frowned upon on Sup Forums and people get banned for it while the virtuous Reddit has no issues with it as long as the victims are ebil nazis.