Elon Musk's big battery brings reality crashing into a post-truth world

>For months, politicians and fossil fuel industry have lied about the viability of renewables. Now Tesla’s big battery in South Australia will prove them wrong.

Sup Forums BTFO

theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/07/elon-musks-big-battery-brings-reality-crashing-into-a-post-truth-world

#gogreen

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/Yy6U4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Here's the archive
archive.is/Yy6U4

Didn't archive this one, faggot!

OK idiot, please die. Won't these batteries carry electricity that was generated by hydrocarbons? Go dig your grave right now and climb in.

if only leftys knew the damage all that lithium causes to the planet they would become nuclear energy activists

Are Boers elite?

If only lefties thought. At all.

>Not telling people that that one battery will cause more pollution than a gas guzzling car does in 50 years

Fuck you.

It's always a good thing having better batteries.
Now the question is, how do you charge it?

With consumers.

name me one successful musk project. not even commercially successful, just a functional one

so what happens when the battery starts to die? I know it will be multiple smaller batteries so they just switch 1000 when they star failing around the same time?

Just get a couple of friends to help you carry the battery outside and give it 16 to 24 hours to charge via the sun. The best part is the charge will last you all day!!!!

Paypal

paypal?

Here comes butthurt Russia.
Make no mistake, soyuz is a thing of the past.(As is Arianespace, for that matter)

that's good and all but it just isn't enough

to avoid the most dangerous consequences, CO2 emissions would not only have to fall rapidly in the next few years, we would also have negative carbon emissions.

Paypal, Tesla

But muh coal. Muh automated jobs

Paypal

PAY FOR MY SUBSIDIES

white&based

>inb4 he accidentally shoots himself 5 times in the back of the head.

You fucktards think Elon is a lefty? He's doesn't give a fuck about either side since he knows the robots are coming. The only reason why the state needs retards like you is because they still need people to work. So they play off both sides and occupy you with dumb shit that don't matter. But once the robots are here, people will not be needed anymore. The Technocrats will take over everything.

>implying their is something wrong with this

If every nation could produce it's own renewable power it would absolutely devastate (((them)))

It's a bot. You can find the creator here

voat.co/u/derram

Tesla isn't commercially sucsessful at all.

Whilst batteries for home energy storage is a good idea, battery tech stills needs advances for this to be significant.

Plug it into a wall socket,DUH! It's FREE energy, moron!

>have negative carbon emissions
That's my issue with environmentalist train of though.

>If we stop polluting, it's gonna be fine.

No sir.
If the human race goes extinct this instant, we'll still see temperature rise a lot, because damage is done.

How many acres of land is going to be subjected to placer mining to obtain the lithium and other minerals to manufacture these batteries?

5033 checking in

>create "green" energy company
>get millions of dollars in free subsidies

wooooooooow

On the other hand, you could argue that SpaceX would eventually allow access to basically unlimited supplies of that stuff by asteroid mining.
The musk is thinking ahead of you guys.

are you the fella that lives in-between the brothels in Thebarton?

I don't understand how this is a response to what I wrote

I was saying we need negative carbon emissions, because the paleoclimate record clearly shows us that with the current concentration of CO2, the sea level will likely equilibrate >24 meters above the present level, as ice sheets and the biosphere continue to respond to the perturbation.

A 22yo came to my door asking me to sign and donate to some cause about renewable energy and also to write a letter to my electric provider because they are allegedly upping prices to bail out uncompetitive coal plants.
I asked for her sources and what she thinks the country should be fueled by and she gave me a classic liberal 1,000 yard stare while giggling and tripping over her words.

I don't really know much about the subject and was genuinely open to being swayed but I've heard Trump talk a lot about deregulating and clean coal and hesitated to sign.
Also what's the deal with fracking? Still a great evil that's going to cause earthquakes corner to corner in the US?

>reinserting the importance of basic reality into a debate
>A large battery is going to put coal out of business
????
Genuinely do not see how they could come off so smug in this article

It's not, it's actually an agreement.
Responses don't have to be a counterargument.

Ah, I see. I thought the "sir" in your post was me.

Close but no cigar

You explicitly said it just had to function

>lithium
>green

It's fine, maybe this will help me word my phrases more carefully in the future.
But most likely, it won't.

ah, I know you.
I like your bike and the pic of it near a sheep.

What are you trying to tell? Muh coal is better?

Wait for glass batteries. They will outperform lithium ion batteries by an order of magnitude wiyhout the risk of combustion due to crystallization.

It will until everyone realizes that the battery is in south africa and niggers will rip it apart for scrap money.

Seriously Elon musk is not a genius if he can't forsee nigs going for gibs forcibly in the worst continent on the planet.

100 MWh is bugger fuck all, if you actually use it to buffer renewables (ie. deep cycle each night) you have to write it off in a year too.

Hydroelectric dam storage is better

No, the mining for lithium can cause damage to the environment, and where will the energy for the battery come from?

Theres not enough lithium in the world to replace gasoline engine cars let alone do any kind of energy storage. Energy storage is shit anyway but it makes way more sense do it wuth pressurized air or flywheels or hydrogen. Any sort of battery based energy storage for anything more thsn personal household use is a joke barring some kind of new technology t.engineer

Yes, that was a Pony

>Sup Forums BTFO
as if majority of Sup Forums users think big corps abusing the flow of information to protect their own revenue is a good thing.

Fracking is the cleanest way we have to get natural gas (the cleanest fossil fuel) on a mass-scale. Lefties will still oppose though because they think building a solar field the size of Connecticutt is so much more pratical

>Elon Musk's big battery brings reality crashing into a post-truth world
Yes, I think it will indeed bring reality crashing into somebody, and I think that somebody will be YOU. Battery technology is weak, expensive, and extremely polluting. Musk can promise whatever he wants and retards like you will lap it up, but he cannot actually deliver. "Renewables" haven't taken off because they just don't work. They are not up to our society's needs.

Elon Musk isn't a Boer. He's a Jew whose family happens to be from South Africa.

His family also happens to have been one of the many Jewish ZA families that became fabulously wealthy following the collapse of RSA. Why? Because they were part of the engineered collapse of RSA and the subsequent pennies on the rand buyout of formerly state-owned businesses.

Go figure.

Name me one successful thing Russia has ever done other than make life shitty for as many people of the world that they can?

No... it's connected to a wind farm

he said functional. have fun getting your money stolen by (((paypal))) if you make a transaction of over $100

>still haven't figured out how to recycle lithium, thus creating a huge amount of waste once they reach their EOL
>lithium mines are just as "green" as copper mines, causing irreversible damage to the environment

He's not a Jew.

Musk bought PayPal. He didn't start it or make it successful.

Yes, I'm sure his team are just full of shit an haven't tested a fucking thing at all over this.

Nope.
They are just winging it, flying blind, hit or miss, maybe it will work, maybe it won't who knows right. ;^)

to give all you faggots some back ground.
South Australia only generates solar and wind power now, they also get top ups from coal power stations in other states.
Last year several high voltage transmission lines blew over in a storm cutting the most populous part of the state off and the increased load requirement from interstate fucked up some inter-connectors and the whole state went dark for 6 or more hours.
Next time something fuck ups and knocks out the power connectors we will have 6billionxAA battery's to keep the power on.
they are also now building a small natural gas power plant for back up because some faggots do not understand Murphy's Law.

classical music

>Fuck you.
In fact it's eight years, not fifty. One of your magic batteries results in more CO2 during production than a typical gasoline engine produces in eight years.

Lefties just don't like to hear reality. The thing holding back renewables is that they SUCK ASS. Invent something better and the world will change. Blaming "big oil" for the laws of physics is delusional leftist bullshit.

That's wan't me though, look at the IDs.

>thread's redditor can't let insults to his LE BASED SCIENCE MAN slide

every single thread

>Invent something better and get killed by CIA/Mossad

Hair transplant.

>BASED Viking Archive user.

Also how to archive?

Where are you ?

>it's a bot
>Yes it did

Ask him where he got the lithium and solar panels. Upon discovering it was china go have a look at how green it is.

I wonder what he isn't telling us about the battery. How much toxic waste will be produced in making and disposing of them? How much petrochemicals will be needed to fully charge one? How much will be needed to create 'green alternatives, like solar and wind to power a cell? How much will it cost?

Yes he is and yes his family is. But go ahead and take some Snopes-level picture as "proof" if that floats your boat.

"guys if we build a really big battery it'll hold a lot of electricity"
No shit, but how much is my power bill going to go up when you assholes install this shit? i'm already paying out the ass for electricity that literally is generated by burning garbage (western NY here)

Is Elonslife in danger?

> believing in his shit

i wasnt listening very attentively but i thought i heard them say on the radio it would only last 15 years and then have to be replaced.

Learn to read cunt it's in south Australia

Elon Musk is the greatest spin doctor on the planet, it's pure coincidence that his biggest scam actually worked.

politicians lie?

say it ain't so.

Also renewable is a long way off replacing worlds energy production entirely, supplementing it, yes, replacing it, no, not yet.

Are they making any headway with the practices of fracking? It's still painted as capitalism in a nutshell where making money is more important than the environment and that fat cats will see flames spewing from ever faucet in America before they stop the practice.

Niagara power authority master race here

A giant battery might wean us from fossil fuels if it is connected to a bunch of cheap solar panels in the middle of the Australian desert.

The main problem is making the battery reliable enough. Even if it isn't perfectly reliable, it could be modular, with sub-batteries that can be swapped out and reprocessed into new batteries without needing any more lithium. I don't know how effective this is right now. If Tesla can make it work, it will solve a lot of problems.

>they said it was impossible, now we have a new technology that makes it possible! this means they are retroactively liars!

He'll be in his villa on Mars by then. You're on your own bogan.

He's an *nglo subhuman

Well where's your proof?

>On his father's side he is part Afrikaner (long ago Dutch who moved to Africa) and British and a little bit of French Huguenot. He grew up in South Africa. His mother (Haldeman) is Canadian of English and some German background.

So... what should it prove? That Musk can make big batters? And lithium-ion? Really?

>renewables

Fairly confident that lithium isn't renewable.

>that afro nigger checking out the woman's butt

no, race mixing is wrong!

greatest con artist of our time, it's really interesting, I can see he's passionate about what he does, but come on - none of it's sustainable and SpaceX is pretty much a NASA daughter company

There are lithium mines in australia

It got made once, it can get made again.

>using high grade tech from the 70's look at me guys

kys

>Won't these batteries carry electricity that was generated by hydrocarbons?

Lol thanks for playing, sit down please.

I wonder when it will finally bite humans that we need to recycle every gram of lithium.