A QUESTION FOR BOOMERS

If you are a baby-boomer

What was your first job?
What year did you work it?
How much did you get paid per hour or per day?

Other urls found in this thread:

usinflationcalculator.com/
bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm
usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2016/11/24/average-american-household-income/93002252/#
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

My grandmother told me what she made annually at her first job after college and what she paid in rent per month.

Her salary was over 160 times the cost of a month's rent, as a schoolteacher.

I'm out of college and my earnings this year won't even be 40 times rent

Boomer here. Housing's a bit more expensive since we keep houses as investment vehicles, but the general discrepancy in cost of living isn't nearly as big as you think it is. How much do you spend on iphones, expensive video games, designer clothes, and $11 takeout every day rather than packing a lunch, etc? We didn't generally buy those luxury goods until we were well established and in our 30s to 40s.

But every millennial moving out of their parents McMansion doesn't think they should have to go through a decade of struggling early on like we did, and thinks they should be able to live a life with all the luxury goods right out of the gate. I'm sure there's exceptions of guys here who have decade old computers, flip phones, and eat rice and beans, but if you're being honest with yourself you know that is NOT the vast majority of millennials. "Avocado toast" is a valid argument.

>been working since i was 13, doing chores from before that; basically was shat out wearing a tool belt
>shun all forms of credit; death pledges/mortgages; understand fiat money
>start at this work I have now since I was 17; I'm now 30 pretty much
>year before I started a boomer manager since fired for sick time comes up with idea to cut the part time from 40 hours minimum per pay to no minimum
>there's 100% on call now and types of part time where 25 hours is split between five days then on call for rest; double backing out of your ass and getting sick
>i have no money; no place; my work doesn't let you wear protective equipment very much at all
>13 years doing this waiting for full time, it's never going to come; anybody in the company can apply for those postings; im like 12 people away

>2015 money
Are we using money from 2257 right now you moron?

I notice education isn't included in that list. Plus, in 75 you could get many nice paying jobs wihtout a college education. Now college is required, and it doesn't even guarantee a job. College diplomas are becoming the equivalent of a high school diploma in 75.

You conveniently ignore an additional $100,000 in debt many kids today must endure before they ever think about a house or a new car.

What the fuck are you trying to say?

You won't be promoted because working class people despise faggots. If you have a skill, why don't you open up your own shop? Why do you rely on someone else? Are you too busy chasing POZ loads in your ass that you never considered starting your own business? "Buttcummies Welding Co." sounds nice.

>How much do you spend on iphones, expensive video games, designer clothes, and $11 takeout every day
What makes you think I have these things?

>rather than packing a lunch
I do this when I go to work

> "Avocado toast" is a valid argument.
Again, how can you possibly know what a millenial eats?

You project waaaayyyyyy to much to be taken seriously.

I asked 3 simple questions and you failed to answer a single one, so how can you possibly think you or any boomer has done a decent job in passing on the inter-generational baton?

Boomers have presided over the WORST economic development in history. Banks are INSOLVENT and only functioning through ongoing bailouts. this is solely boomer created. Bank bailouts MUST dilute the purchasing power of the currency. Millennials can simply google the facts. Boomers watch CNN.

Life today simply cannot be the same as in the past - its mathematically demonstrable.

Yet, boomers' biggest failure is not economic illiteracy - its failing to understand their own decendents.

SAD!

>Now college is required,
It's required if you're doing engineering or medicine or law. Otherwise, not really. The problem is the only "jobs" you're willing to consider are paperpushers, which do require degrees. Do you think construction or skilled labor require a degree? Or is it inconceivable for you to work outside of an air conditioned office? If this
proud faggot can do it, why can't you?

And you didn't address the chart. Yeah, MUH FIAT ruins everyone. The average boomer had no more hand in that than they had in forming the federal reserve in 1913.

Address the chart.

I didnt see the left most area. Thought it said 1945. The middle area is irrelevant. All the fucking fall of man vagina munchers crusted in cancerous fungus and super gonorrhea are starting to come out to smell their farts so fuck off you house flipping greedy lying hypocrites. Blow aristotle and leave the thread

>Income down
>Houses up 30%
>Cars up 100%
>Not so bad lazy youngsters lol stop drinking lattes

Well if you are speaking to me personally I have a graduate degree and work in biotech. There is absolutely no way you can get into this field without an education in it. I'm not complaining about my personal situation because I'm relatively comfortable, but I see the plight many of my childhood friends are in.

And the debt I had to acquire to go through all that school is a burden I'm still paying off. It is manageable, but still a handicap.

I'm simply pointing out that education costs have ballooned since the 70's and they conventionality aren't even included in your nice little chart showing how things have stayed the same.

And I also find it amusing that a 20% increase in housing prices coupled with a 10% decrease in average wage is considered "the same". How much of an average person's income is actually disposable? Maybe 10%? Increasing one of the largest costs in life, housing by 20% and decreasing the average income by 10% literally makes the disposable income enjoyed by a person in 1975 vanish.

Things are not the same at all. You are deliberately being manipulative with how you present things.

Average income of 51k? Are you joking? Its more like 30k.

You are posting like a child.

Or like a government employee paid to shill opinions that support the insolvent society Millennials have inherited to keep the pyramid Ponzi scheme alive.

............It really activates the almonds, as they say.

>Address the chart.
I need to know:
1) Your first job.
2)What YEAR you did it.
3) How much you got paid.

You avoided the questions because you know full well I can figure out how badly millennials are getting screwed with that information alone. The information in the chart tells me nothing and requires my complete trust rather than allowing me to figure out the difference in purchasing power when I ADJUST FOR INFLATION myself.

If you want people to comment on your weak chart, start your own thread. If you would rather not answer my questions in my thread, there's no use in you being here.

I washed dishes in high school for a dollar a day. When I got done with schooling I had enough money for my starter house. It was rough at first as I had to ride my motorcycle to work at the mill but in twenty years I retired and now live in Florida on a nice coastal resort.

>washed dishes in high school for a dollar a day
what year was that?

The year we beat back the sneaky Japanese in the great state of Tennessee.

My parents are boomers. Not rich professionals but doing alright with no mortgage. My dad gave me and my 3 siblings enough for a deposit on a house, it's helped massively. Basically if your boomer parents didn't do the same then they are cunts

construction help (dad had a crew of 5 or 6 and we built houses)
1972 (I was 14)
$3.25 / hr. + anything over 40 hrs was $$4.86 / hr

What? I don't know what this is referencing.
Just say the year number if you could.

>MUH FIAT ruins everyone
lie

Truvada. You stupid piece of shit. Why arent you opening your own shop? Everything was handed to you on a platter. Thats why. You just started with the fiat let alone muh creation of reserve. It takes time to fuck us and clearly you did nothing. Become a woman you stupid dyke

THANKYOU!

You're the only person who actually managed to answer the questions so far.

Machine shop, part time, 3 hrs a day, 4 days a week on High school tech work program
1979-80
start $3.15 hr, raised to $3.25 hr

OK.........SEE PIC RELATED

in 1972 a FOURTEEN YEAR OLD can work an UNSKILLED job and get what is equivalent in todays money as $19 per hour!

Imagine getting $19 per hour for any job! let alone an unskilled helper job at 14 years of age.

After 40 hrs you'd get $28.45 per hour! And remember - taxes were less for the same reason, namely currency had greater purchasing power. That would motivate ANYONE, right?

Milennials aren't lazy - theres no motivation to work 40+ hrs a week for pocket money.

This is why milennials are fucked. Its mathematically demonstrable.

Check for your selves here : usinflationcalculator.com/

Did you post a chart proving that your houses were $61,000 cheaper, while being paid $4,000 more and spending $16,000 less on cars as proof that things aren't that different?

I wonder what that average income looks like for college degrees vs non college degrees in 1975 vs 2015.

Fuck off.

great arguments here. I've worked 10 years and seen only 10 an hour.

you won't believe how certain 'parents' speak down to me. (you will because it's the same story everywhere)

And they didn't hire niggers

Accountant 1985 $7.50 per hour

Yeah my father has a GED and i remember him telling me he moved out at 14 and was working full time. I also remember my parents had a decent sized house and 2 cars in their early 20s. Boomers really do have it all. The pay, the real estate from their parents and the investments.

Inflation is the invisible tax on the savings of responsible people

2nd job, carpet mill, 1984 $7.25 hr 40 hrs week

Don't be a retard. The 70s were a nightmare of stagflation and oil shortages

Its mathematical historical fact.
How do you explain "families buying houses"?

Did banks need bailing out after "stagflation and oil shortages"?
NO!

Newspaper delivery boy at age 12. Baltimore Sun. Great job for a young person. It taught responsibility and money management. Shoot, back then we even had to collect subscription fees from our subscribers and pass the monies on to our managers. I've been working ever since. I don't even remember the amount of money that I earned. I'm sure it wasn't much. But I had more than other 12 year olds.

Nineteen-dickety-six

You can buy a house where I live for $70,000, maybe move from San Francisco or you entitled to live there?

>Now college is required, and it doesn't even guarantee a job
then what the fuck is it required for you dense jitad

OK, so why are you asking these specific questions?

>what is the difference between "necessary" and "sufficient"

College is further schooling showing proof you can be a competent learner in the new age workforce. Problem is the workforce is oversaturated.

>We didn't generally buy those luxury goods until we were well established and in our 30s to 40s.
That's the problem, man.

>mobile phone
You see it as a luxury good... FOR YOU.
I am 30 and I work with that shit. I kept using an old Nokia Lumia, but at some stage I had to dish out 300 € to get a decent one.
Am still using my 5 y.o. pc, but again... I'd rather have a decent one for my job.

You call 'è luxury goods, but believe me the 36 € per year I pay for Netflix is zero compared to the cost of transport (I work off site) and fuel in general. Fuck you and your luxury. I am driving a car borrowed from my father that runs on natural gas, to make it dirty cheap.

dishwasher 1.60 hr

is that 1966?
Just type the number if you can.

See here:

what year did you do this?

>If you have a skill, why don't you open up your own shop?
Holy shit this man thinks we should all be entrepreneurs.
I can talk him up, 'cause I have my own fucking business number. So. At. Least. I. Can. Tell. This. Douchebag. There. Are. Skills. And. Jobs. That. Require. An. Entire. Company. To. Be. Delivered. Effectively.

Or do you think we should all be like little Steve Jobs?

The war had ended some years prior. It was during the presidential administration. Change was on the horizon

Is this some sort of AI?

Millennial cunt cry baby faggots, stop being millennial cunt cry baby faggots.

Why are millennial cunt cry baby faggots such millennial cunt cry baby faggots.

Drink my cum faggot baby cry cunt millennials!

just the year number please

O I C

Having lived thru it I can tell you inflation sux.

Im not a milennial.
My intention is to demonstrate mathematically and historically using wages adjusted for inflation to prove that milennials are screwed.

>Boomers have presided over the WORST economic development in history. Banks are INSOLVENT and only functioning through ongoing bailouts. this is solely boomer created. Bank bailouts MUST dilute the purchasing power of the currency. Millennials can simply google the facts. Boomers watch CNN.
Consider the Italian banks that are going through scandal after scandal.
Yeah, thanks to the credit given by those banks, some regions have thrived.
But now it's all falling apart.

It turned out these banks gave credit to small and medium companies that should have just failed because they were insolvent.

Credit was usually given by means of backdoor... E.g let my bank buy your shitty art collection for 10 times its market value... So you can inject capital in your company and pretend you are paying me back.

The result of this is a chaste of entrepreneurs that are not really skilled because they are not the result of natural selection. Yet they all act like self-entitled cunts because muh business kept this region alive. Fuck no. Now they are getting owned by Chinamen who clearly know their shit... And where is all the glorious Italian know-how? Finally we have seen some heads rolling.

yes - educating others on real money and keeping real money is the only solution.

now this is boomerposting

My dad:
>1970, 15 y.o.
>30,000 lire/month
>non professional football player

My mum:
>1973, 18 y.o.
>30,000 lire/week
>wardrobe at a disco club

See reply for inflation calculations

idk millennial here, does anyone else's budget look something like this?

>25% rent
>25% utilities/subscriptions
>10% car
>12% food

i only make about $4,000 a month

worked at the corner gas station, pumping gas, changing tires, etc. worked there part-time for five years. it put me through college.

What was your wage per hour or per day and what year was that?

29 year old here. I worked in high school for 12 to 15 bucks an hour as a glass guy, plumbers assistant, and carpenter. College summers were interning for 18 or 20 bucks an hour while in engineering school. Graduated and started at 45k salary, worked my ass off for 4 years just to get to 70k. Got licensed as a PE, now making 80k.

Sure wish that was a lot of money, but since kikes have a tax on every fucking thing as well as having the markets rigged, it's still not much.

The American dream got replaced by the shitskin dream of just surviving with 6 kids. What a fucking joke.

My plan is to move to Iceland with my wife to have kids in a white country.

Calculus (including purchase power variations).

Dad:
>15 y.o.
>equivalent = 272 € a month
>Playing football
>I'm not even counting the hours

Mum
>1973
>18 y.o.
>equivalent = 222 € a week working 3 nights a week
>Working hrs were 20.30-04.30
>8 hrs a night... 24 hrs a week

Dad again (better engagement):
>1975
>20 y.o.
>football player
>160,000 lire / month
>28 hrs /month
>equivalent = 847 € = 30.25 €/hr
And that was not his main job

ALL THE ABOVE FIGURES ARE NEAT i.e AFTER TAXES straight in their pockets.
IN MY MOTHER'S CASE, SHE WAS BEING PAID CASH IN HAND

>What was your first job?
>What year did you work it?
>How much did you get paid?

First real job, in 1970 was working at an amusement park (I was 15 years old). During summers (no school) I worked 12 hours each day (11am-11pm) and earned $11 per day (1 hour of breaks and lunch not paid).

Next was at a gas station pumping gas, checking oil and tires, cleaning windshields, etc.... I think I made around $1.50-$2.00 /hr.

As a point of reference, gasoline was around $0.30 a gallon.

Average income 1975 (adjusted for inflation 2017): $61,065.

Average income 2017: $34,940.

Minimum wage 1975: $9.86.

Minimum wage 2017: $7.25.

Sources: >bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

>usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2016/11/24/average-american-household-income/93002252/#

Obviously I could keep going down the list, showing how fucked my generation is monetarily, but I think you get the point.

Have a nice day.

See pic related

I'm not entirely sure how to do the inflation of the lira before the euro and the inflation of the euro from 2001 to today.

Cutting seed potatoes.

$.50 hr

It's already included in my post.
I used a calculator from the most important financial newspaper in Italy.

I know Euro makes things shittier.
My mother says 1 kg of potatoes was 80 lire.
Whereas my dad says his first professional pair of shoes was 17,000 lire and they were the top quality for the period. Pure leather hand-made.
He spent the 2017 equivalent of 100 € for those shoes. Now they would be 300 € or Something.

...pls be my shitposting grandpa

My dad said right out of high school he had a 40k a year job working at Western Union telegraph company. Keep in mind my dad is 76, so 40k a year back then is probably 70k a year today. All he had was a high school diploma. He thought the job was "boring" so he became a NY city police officer making the same money. Thought that was boring so switched to being a firefighter.

Imagine having the option to get a 70k a year job fresh out of highschool and consider it too "boring" so you go and do something else and it still pays you the same rate.

Oh right - I see.
Yeah - its a pretty sweet deal playing football and working fewer hours per week

what year did your dad leave highschool? roughly?

He also got a job that paid a neat amount of 475,000 a month (i.e 1,800 € after taxes) plus the 800 € from footy. That was a very good deal.

Consider also he got his first jew job in a bank absolutely without qualifications. Not even high school.

Well assuming you guys leave high school at 16, he had in todays money a $348,000 a year job just with a highschool diploma.

Not $70,000

I started at 15 at 1.25 per hour or so. that was 1961. I was mechanically inclined and pretty good with cars, so the owner increased it every year a few cents. I worked 6 days a week, 6 hours a day after school, 4-10. I lived in Peoria, so it was a pretty busy town.

When I went to college, tuition and books came to about 300 per semester when I started college. I had saved almost every penny, so had about 4000 saved when I started too. I lived at home, mom and dad did pretty well so I had no expenses, but they expected me to save.

My dad was an electrician. In 1981 (first year fully licensed) he made $21/hr. He bought the house he's still living in for $170 000 in around 1990. It was appraised a few years ago (so before this huge boom) at $720 000.

I remember him being able to fill our Oldsmobile Cutlass for about $20.

I'm too lazy to do the math and shit but you can see the cost of living relative to income has changed dramatically. A licensed electrician here now makes about $35/hr unless self employed.

I don't know why millennials come here to bitch about the intergenerational contract being ripped to shreds...Trying to use 'facts' & 'logic' to convince boomers of their failue to pass on a non-ruined society.
BABY. BOOMERS. DO. NOT. CARE.
Look how they fucking act for gods sake!
>Pay muh social security
>Pay muh healthcare
>Buy muh overpriced house
>Give your money & women to forigners
>Fight banker-war X
>Votes for more of the same
>Shits on young people who own & control no levers of power whatsoever
>Lose every single cultural battle to the leftists
Their crimes are uncountable & what do they want at the end off it all?
To watch their stupid fucking soothing voice boomer MSM telling them; 'everthings fine & the millennials problems are avacado related'.
I hope they fucking rot in nursing homes staffed by smelly pajeets who abuse them.

My mom told me she brought her first appartment by herself with her first 6 month job without a loan.
She was a teacher, a model and became a communication director for insurances.
She was paid a misery.
Up until the equal pay act where she got to earn more.

I wanted to cry.

55$ an hour.
What happened man?
Why an electrician here new would make only 25€/h at best (if contractor)

>Now college is required, and it doesn't even guarantee a job.

Fact check: False.

College is only required for most STEM jobs. Drama and Dance majors are a fucking joke.

College is still affordable on a State and City level. Private university is definitely expensive af, but you're not required to attend a prestigious uni.

Stop crying faggot. Go to school for STEM, get high as fuck grades, and get a resume together.

The process hasn't changed, and you still have to actually BE the best candidate.

Bank bailouts,
Money printing,
and Inflation happened.

Its how milennials can demonstrate how they aren't "lazy" just unmotivated to work for pocket money

a lot more buying power back then. i still can't believe how much groceries cost now. you get three or four bags and it's 60-80 dollars now.

Thank you roastbeef.
Doublecheck Take a (you).

Hey Boomer: No one will feel bad for you when someone shoots you in the face and takes everything you have. Trust me, it will happen.

Here in Australia millennials spend 4-5 YEARS of their working life saving for a deposit.
But don't worry, some boomers promise to pass on the wealth when they die. I'm sure all the childless 50 years millennials will appreciate that.

>Fact check: False.
Its true. Also college qualifications are more widespread and therefore have less value.

You are spreading false information to prop up a FAILED system.

Its mathematically and historically provable.

Boomers did not need qualifications to get jobs that paid enough to support a family.

>STEM meme
Most high paying corporate jobs require some sort of bachelor degree, this is how I know you are some NEET who has never applied for a job in his life. I have an accounting degree, working 60 hours a week and I'm fucking miserable.

and now your a faggot

17k for a new car? not bad

but 7.20 bucks for a gallon of milk... not so much

good thing i own a dairy cow and goat

Cut lawns for neighbors @ $2 per lawn
Bus boy for grill at golf course $2.35
Gas station attendant $2.83

>The result of this is a chaste of entrepreneurs that are not really skilled because they are not the result of natural selection. Yet they all act like self-entitled cunts because muh business kept this region alive. Fuck no. Now they are getting owned by Chinamen who clearly know their shit... And where is all the glorious Italian know-how? Finally we have seen some heads rolling.

Oh yes, fuck those cunts.
There are basically no new businesses in Italy since what, the 80's?
It's basically impossible to start a new business because these boomers cunts have a rigged system working in their favor.
Every italian with a modicum of ambition is either leaving the country or contemplating suicide at home while working for a stupid boomer cunt.

>My mom told me she brought her first appartment by herself with her first 6 month job without a loan.

In the 70's there were a lot of italians doing a work stint in Germany. They needed only 2 years worth of savings to purchase a house.

what years did you do these jobs?