Why has the number of people with mental illnesses increased over the last few decades?

Why has the number of people with mental illnesses increased over the last few decades?

r-selection. When resources are abundant and existential threats are relatively marginal people can afford to act crazy.

I believe so op. It seems everyone has crippling anxiety. Its also about how back in the 80s or earlier funding to mental health facilities were cut and people were often sent out without meds and shit. Mental health is often ignored within certain ethnicities and cultures as well.

Pharma Phun

Good question. My opinion:
>Overpopulation
>Mass migrations
>Technological advancement - producing instability
>Economic uncertainty
>Destruction of Tradition*
>Destruction of the natural family
>Destruction of local communities - as a result of economic uncertainty and mass migrations
>Meaninglessness - as a result of irreligion, multiculturalism, the destruction of the family, and of Tradition
>Feminism - which accelerates the process of destroying the family and Tradition

It hasn't. Normal emotional responses are now being medicalized as "illnessess" to push psychiatric meds.

Vaccines and Jewish media

The human mind was never intended to handle a world so abstract

basically everyone is addicted to the internet nowadays because of smartphones. internet addiction leads to reduced function of the prefrontal cortex which is responsible for emotional regulation

Social media. It has destroyed how normal socializing works.

Here in the U.S., we have two ways in which to measure the increase in mental illness:
>Spike in drug usage
>Spike in suicide
>Spike in anti-depressant usage

>Why has the number of television purchases gone up in the last few decades.

the internet. it lets crazies interact with exponentially more crazies than they ever would have come into contact with if there were no internet. they see that there are others like them, and their craziness becomes normalized in their crazy community.

Read the book called tribe. It explains this perfectly.

We have better diagnostic approaches to mental illness therefore we are able to better diagnose people with mental illness.

Because the concept of mental illness has been monetized by the pharmaceutical industry.

Tv and internet spread so much shit

This is the bluest pilled post I've seen year to date if serious.

kids are being parented really shitty, more than 35 percent of all children grow up in single parent households. divorce rate over 50%, etc

both parents work in this age, rarely ever taking care of children

mental illness has become viewed as trendy

overdiagnosis

drugs becoming extremely common and encouraged, sending people out of control or straight into addiction

the internet itself and instant reward mining is just unhealthy, leads to "depression" when in reality there's nothing even remotely strange about someone feeling blunted by overstimulation

Industrial chemicals in the environment, seriously. It has at least contributed greatly to the spike in transgenderism/gender dysphoria, and I have the research to back this up.

I'm convinced that this and perhaps adjuvants in vaccines are partly responsible for my own afflictions, which have ruined my life perhaps for good. There's only so much a person can take of society shitting on you before you've had enough. There is something very wrong with our society; it is very sick.

Well, sure, actually. Way to simplify things without a nutty conservative bias.

Broadening the definition and symptoms of a mental illness. Now anyone who's just weird now has a super special illness of some kind

Couple things really:
>Social media

It exposes only positive aspects of other people's lives to individuals, making it easy to believe that your life is less 'developed' for lack of a better word, than others.

>Nothing to believe in.

Regardless of whether or not it's right to believe in, past ideologies where the focus was on nationalism/patriotism, the monarchy or the family may have faded away. This may allow some to feel liberated and focus on themselves but for others this may result in a loss of direction of life

>Better ways to identify 'abnormal' behaviour

There's a few more minor ones but a personal belief of mine is that since never in the history of mankind have we managed to live so long, this increased lifespan has had an effect on abnormal behaviours. Back in the middle ages, for example, you would assume the normal person may live to around 40 give or take a decade and as such live life in the moment. In modern times living to 80 is no longer uncommon and so the belief that there remains maybe another 60 years of life creates more future-based thinking and anxiety about said future.

Death to shills

(((they))) figured out how to market mental illness to teen girls on Tumblr by turning it into another attention-drawing accessory that is critical to special snowflaking yourself

Pill sales skyrocketed due to these tricks

Because it's trendy.

Doesn't apply to humans, you stupid asshole

Dr. Shlomostein inventing syndromes and prescribing med for fake syndromes.

Reminder that Abilify, an antipsychotic, was the best selling drug of 2014. Not the best selling psychiatric drug. The literal best selling drug, as in it beat out all the regular medical pharmaceuticals too. Do you REALLY believe that many people have severe enough mental illness to constitute a full blown psychotic diagnosis like schizophrenia? Or maybe it's not a coincidence that this "illness" happens to be one without a physical diagnosis method.

older fathers.

It's no longer a death sentence socially and parents of autistic children are now praised instead of shunned.

This

Anyone sick of prescription pill TV commercials?
>do you suffer from...
>have you been feeling a little..
Lists off MASSIVE list of vague symptoms,
ASK YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT POISON YOU DON'T NEED!
>side effects include
>death
>bleeding asshole
>death
>mental retardation
>possibly death
>successful suicidal thoughts
>depression
>discomfort
>probably death

It has become a way of carving out another niche identity for yourself that also allows you to play the victim, which is good because the victim has the highest social status in our sick society -- the revaluation of values.

Has the media ever contributed anything good to humanity? I think these people in the media are the lowest of the low and should be regarded as such. The sad part is that even the smartest people will fall for the most obvious ploys. Luckily some demographics are starting to realize that there is a conspiratorial element to these media narratives that is underpinning greater schemes, even if they don't know what those schemes are.

anyone who spends enough time in a psychiatrist's hands will be prescribed an antipsychotic, no matter how reckless and irresponsible. they have extremely bad side effects, and they basically turn you into a zombie even when you are bipolar or schizo

i had a doctor who would regularly exclaim "i would put a 4 year old on that dose!" when talking about antipsychotics

it's horrifying how lenient diagnosis is in the industry.

not a single person i spoke to thought i had bipolar disorder, it was met with a lot of laughter when i asked what they thought of it

it's pretty scary to see what state mental healthcare is in. people who put their children on drugs like that, even stimulants, are absolute scum

Not even mentally disabled but i am thinking of saying i am to get neetbux. Maybe this is a contributor?

>children on antipsychotics

Yup, didn't even get into that, but that's a big part of the problem. Your child probably has an abnormal brain if they *aren't* running around causing trouble in school, yet that gets used as a premise to diagnose and drug kids up. Hence the ADHD craze in the 90s and similar shit since then.

Why? Aren't humans animals shaped by evolution?

>Spike in anti-depressant usage
Might easily be explained away with doctors being more comfortable perscribing new generation antidepressants which are much safer and have less side effects than the earlier generations.

Leftwingers took over the education system.

>better diagnostic approaches
Nigger look into the dumpster fire that is the DSM.

Adhd, autism etc didnt exist.... the medical community et al have a vested interest in billable diagnosis codes and proceedures. So there is that.

Too much estrogen in the food.

the answer is always the same

Bipolar disorder has become the meme diagnosis of the season. I'm fairly convinced I have it because I have all the symptoms, plus all the extra symptoms that can occur, and the medications I take actually help with the symptoms.

I'm going to get my brain scanned sometime in my life just to see. Bipolar brains are supposed to be different in brain scans than normal or unipolar depressive brains.