Is the bubble bursting in the US auto market? 2016 was a record year for sales, with 17.5 million vehicles sold...

Is the bubble bursting in the US auto market? 2016 was a record year for sales, with 17.5 million vehicles sold. It was one of the biggest "bright spots" in the economy. But sales have been sinking in 2017, and the average age of buyers has soared to 50 - the highest in history. Why are younger people opting out of the car market, and what are the implications for the economy as a whole?

bbc.com/news/business-40523171

Other urls found in this thread:

katu.com/news/local/oregon-state-police-eel-truck-overturns-on-hwy-101-apparently-covering-road-in-slime
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

seems like it all the new cars are in the ghetto

What the fuck am I looking at? Car got rear ended by a van filled with sea cucumbers?

3 year leases they'll be back up in 2018

New cars are plastic boxes. The "classic car" remakes that are also shit designs are only driven by ghetto niggers. Cars are shit nowadays

/thread

yes goyim,autoloan,automarket,housing market, and stock market are all taking a blow give me a you and ill give you an answer

>why don't millennials X
because we're poor and indebted to the wall streets kikes

They're the same as last year's model, buy an old car an YouTube how to fix it when it breaks.

What the fuck is this image

A truck carrying live hagfish overturned on a highway in Oregon and slimed a bunch of cars:

katu.com/news/local/oregon-state-police-eel-truck-overturns-on-hwy-101-apparently-covering-road-in-slime

What's up with all these crossover pieces of shit? They don't even have tow hitches to pull my cuck shed.

Fuck the business news I want to read about being rear-ended by an eel tanker

tfw no you

Oh shit, thanks

I was thinking. Why don't car companies do limited run releases of classic cars? Like a niche market. I think people would buy them. Is the biggest problem getting around EPA faggotry?

The whole "small house" thing seems like such a pretentious way of pretending that you're not living in a mobile home trailer.

Reminder that if you are not driving a Mercedes-Benz (or equivalent/higher) you are inferior.

Ya but have you seen the interior of some of those luxury RVs? Beats the shit out of most typical apartments.

Young people are no longer falling for the new car meme and would rather get an older car that actually works.

They could emulate the style, but car manufacturers nowadays don't make many of their own components; they source them from third-party suppliers.

The suppliers who fabricated the components for a lot of older vehicles have long-since gone out of business or merged with other companies, and the machine tool plans to make those components are often lost.

The price inflation in vehicles has been outrageous over the last decade. And the financing has also been way too easy. I dont think its going to be a full on economic crisis but something has to give here.

Large influx of repos incoming

The automotive equivalent of a fudd

MUH STEEL CAR

Obama gutted the used car market with cash for clunkers. The cars people brought in had sodium silicate (liquid glass) ran in the engine.

Im pretty sure they crushed the cars too. Thats why you never find anything cool at the junkyard.

Anyways yeah the bubble is bursting cause now the used car maket has built back up

>Mercedes-Benz
As privileged as I felt to own four AMGs, The Tesla S P85D is my favorite fucking car ever.

That being said if Tesla really does make self driving cars work, car ownership might very well fall by the wayside. Why buy when you can use an app to bring a ride to you.

New cars/trucks are not worth the money. I usually buy my wife a new vehicle every 3 years or so since 2000. Not happening this year. I also need a new truck but I'm looking at a mortgage payment for a stupid truck.

I'm better off keeping her in the vehicle she is in (2014), keeping my old worn out truck and just hope prices eventually make sense. 80+g for a 1 ton is insane.

Car sales skyrocket ever 10 to 15 years.. for a year period. Because cars get old and break down.

Because I'm okay with driving a 20 year old Honda that is good on gas if it means I have more money to spend on traveling, cameras and computers

>tfw I have to get a new lease or buy the current one out in six weeks

you don't really need a car and house when you live in the city

the solution is depopulation.

Owner-driven cars won't even be a thing except as a hobby in 10 years.

Millennials know this and are opting out of the whole car buying/car license/car loan game, while older folks are buying cars faster than ever as their disposable income increases before retirement.

The whole auto industry will be nuked by self-driving cars. Well need 1/10 the fleet we have now, and not only will it unemploy people in the auto industry, but even more devastatingly those who drive for a living.

This will make universal basic income inevitable and faster than most think.

This
Hondas last 200k+ miles. As long as you maintain it well and don't crash.

Universal basic income will become a necessity when they automate the trucking industry. It's the countries largest employee sector and when that goes we're fucked

the end goal is to ween off cars altogether. the rush hour traffic jam doesn't help anybody

Replica kit cars are a thing.

they will try to make the truckers do other type of crap jobs for cheap

I have never, will never buy a new car. Craigslist all the way for me. Fuck dealerships

I buy used cars mate. Only older people with money can afford to buy those cars.

A particular brand of manufacture has been less of an issue since the mid 80's. I've got a '91 chevy nearing .5 million miles. Maintenance is the key issue.

>Why buy when you can use an app to bring a ride to you.

because if the power goes out, the internet goes down, tesla has a problem, i can't use my bank account for whatever reason, or there's a major event going on, i can't go anywhere.

>Universal basic income will become a necessity when they automate the trucking industry.
you're buying into zuckerberg's communist bullshit. he's going to promise UBI in 2020. just wait.

Younger people are opting out of cars because they don't have any fucking money you dipshit.

See:
Superformance MkIII (Shelby Cobra)
Superformance GT40
Superformance Grand Sport (Corvette Grand Sport)
Superformance Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe CSX9000

Jaguar E-Type Lightweight (They are making six new ones, costs $4m though)

Don't know for certain but I work for one of the largest private financial companies in the world who have a significantly good record when it comes to predicting problems in the market and has been seriously preparing for something in 2018. They won't really let us know what exactly what we are preparing for but many internally are speculating it is related to the auto market. Our budgets are cut, people have been laid off, significant reorgs have occurred all in preparation for something big and preparations for 2018 started in late 2015.

As others have said, buying a new car is just stupid anyway. The ultimate answer, though, is the fact that we just don't have the fucking money!

>/threading your own posts

Who's fault is that?

>muh the boomers

I'm not a boomer and I can afford a new one, the point is having enough sense to know when to buy new and when to not.

I bought an old Silverado from the 90's. Had it sandblasted and repainted. Put a new engine in it, replaced the coolant system. Saved a ton of money. No fancy gadgets or electronic overrides. Nothing to spy on me. I feel good about my purchase and I didn't have to drop $30k for a newer model.

>Why are younger people opting out of the car market,
their cars suck shit.

> and what are the implications for the economy as a whole?
reduced car industry in america.

they might just move to other countries instead but that comes with a new set of problems.

Bought a new Wrangler (JK) a few years ago, I know it's not as good as the GOAT 4.0 TJ but my wife wanted something with airbags for the kids and I had a $500/mo car stipend to blow. Really capable vehicle though, no big issues.

You sir, made a fine investment.

>wondering to myself how the fuck do they clean that up?
>notice it's a video
>click
>bulldozing live hagfish down the 101

>Why are younger people opting out of the car market
No fucking money! Why do you retards make these same damn threads every day?

>why don't millenials buy cars
>why don't millenials buy houses
>why don't millenials have children

Because we don't have any fucking money!

t. 24 year old making $60K with no debt who loses 25% of his income to fucking taxes

>Is the bubble bursting in the US auto market?

Yes, but the auto parts market will be hit even worse.

Whoah. Only people above the age of 50 can afford new cars. Who would've fucking guessed??

It was obvious early this year. Auto market is going through a huge point of turmoil and new tech isn't impressive in conventional cars.

Having any money in auto market is stupid right now investment wise and buying a new car is a big mistake.

Cars are going to becoming higher tech/software in terms of autonomous/assisted driving which will save you on insurance. It would be dumb as fuck to pay max price for a new car in this market unless it is a recreational purchase (jeep/offroading/towing something etc)

They're like 5 years in to some of the coolest shit they have ever made. All 3.
Its like doing hookers and blow in Vegas for half a decade but now its time to settle down and make a fat girl out of some broad you knew in high school.

Either UBI or some sort of post-scarcity meritocracy has to start or automation and AI need to be banned. Capitalism can't survive if you get rid of the proletariat.

Is there a market for hagfish I didn't know about? Any Ching Chongs on this thread?

chevy camaro and ford mustang just did this! dodge charger and challenger are doing this now!

Because driving is dead. No one drives anymore. Car companies can't make rolling entertainment bubbles and include the responsibility of observing where it goes.

That is why automated driving will be meme'd into existence. Youngins will gladly give up what they don't cherish. Why stare at the road when you can tweet? Why maintain a piece of metal that depreciates faster than your degree? Why be responsible for running over pedestrians while you fight big pharma?

That's why I'm taking to the skies. Flight is the last great frontier.

yes about the cash for clunkers, there is a missing generation of used affordable cars now (also VW buyback cars, they still cannot use)

I got a zero down 7 year loan on a brand new charger last year. I have the ways and means to pay i just didnt have alot of liquid cash on hand so it made sense for me to get this loan then refinance when I had more cash in hand. Whats scary is the new default loan on a car is 7 YEARS!

no big issue? its a jeep, just wait...

financial expert

Cars are dying, automation is the future of driving.

It's like buying a flip phone the year before smart phones come out and paying $3000 for it. everyone getting 7 year loans on cars are going to feel like complete shitheads soon. Especially if the car is not equipped for assisted driving.

Cars can't be cheap anymore because they're too complex.

Opting out of the *new* car market. Younger people are wising up to the new-car Jew.

What will be REALLY destabilizing is that driving is an even bigger share of employment outside of the first world. It'll certainly take longer for self-driving cars to catch on in development economies, and there will likely be legislation against them there, but I'd guesstimate that half of men in most developing countries who aren't farmers drive for a living. Those countries don't have the wherewithal to implement universal basic income, plus it'd be extra socially corrosive there.

you need to be engaged in the automation, otherwise you are shut out off the future

Why?

If car sales go down then the fleet will age = more parts and work for mechanjca.

the article I read said they were going to be smuggled to north korea

yes! alot of these new cars are level 1 and 2 of autonomous, and possess the hardware to be one over the air update away from level 3-5. I think alot has to do with how stupid people are going to be with this new technology! but its coming and cant be here fast enough

Cost makes it better to get a used car from the 90s or early 2000s than to buy a new car.

Younger people also live in the inner city more than the suburbs. Wife and I didn't own a car while living in the Inner West of Sydney, why? Public transport links here pretty good and traffic congestion made driving anywhere shit. We only bought a new car once we moved into our own home, out of the City area.

Is this a burger phenomenon too?

Do you really want to be in a steel deathtrap? Not all cars are shit only American cars are.

Pretty sure it's been good eating in the minds of Japs for quite a while.

Think of how many new cars are being churned out per day

Think of how many cars are "shredded" or destroyed per day

There is a massive imbalance here and it isn't sustainable in any way. The cheaper new car get, the cheaper perfectly good older cars get. Plus the older cars just keep piling up

Millennials LOVE living in cities just as much as their parents LOVE the suburbs. This seems to be a first-world-wide phenomenon.

it's not really anybodys fault desu, millenials have different priorities - if they had such a problem being poor they would work harder

>and cant be here fast enough

Get out of my gene pool

>Why does a generation where the average income is less than 30,000 not want to buy cars, houses and other expensive shit

Hmmmm

If 2016 was a record year in sales, maybe 2017 sales are down because a lot of fucking people just bought cars

New cars don't succumb to rust like old cars did, but new cars also have a lot of expensive electronics that aren't worth replacing as the car gets old, leading to mechanically good cars being scrapped.

Driving is a huge waste of time, there is no point in spending years of your life behind a wheel if the option to not do so is available.

How could anybody love living in the city? How the fuck?

Toyota would be out of business then according to your logic since people hang on to their Toyotas for a very long long time.

I'm about to switch cars

I usually drive luxury models w options but this time around I really want something cheap especially without touch screens or wheels in the console to control that screen. I just want buttons and a radio.

I think society will
Soon get tired of the bells and whistles and flip to utilitarian over luxury

Boomers know dam right they aren't going to be able to pay a car off before they die so they will fuck us one last time

2017 sales are down because everybody knows 2018 had some automobile manufacturers completely redesigning some of their cars like Toyota with their Camry.

it's easy

2016 was a record sales year so why would 2017 not be lower if everyone just bought new fucking cars last year?

>Younger people have shit credit
>Younger people have no savings

Therefore, younger people can't afford to buy cars the way older people can because, Millennials in particular are the fucking WORST with how they manage their finances.

If you're 30 and don't have at least $25k in savings and small investments, you fucked up in life.

yes
what the actual fuck are you talking about! electronics? like electronic windows? yeah its a bitch and costs a little bit of money but you can replace them in an afternoon with the help of google. Or are you actually talking about a new car's computer system going bad, which I have never ever heard of and I frequent alot of auto blogs and message boards. but seriously tell me about these new cars

>Why are younger people opting out of the car market

I make $11/hour and a new car costs $30,000.

>because if the power goes out, the internet goes down, tesla has a problem, i can't use my bank account for whatever reason, or there's a major event going on, i can't go anywhere.

This is already true if there's a snowstorm or an earthquake. If you seriously can't handle being holed up for a couple of days your problem is not having too few vehicles laying around your driveway.

redesigns aren't worth waiting for IMO
it takes a few years for them to work bugs out, even in the most reputable companies late model designs a best

Chingchongs don't eat that shit but Koreans love em and it's also found in some Portuguese dishes.

if the power goes out then how will gas pumps work?

and they like to "be in touch with everyone" stuff like that

A mid-range car today is nicer in every way than a luxury car from 10 years ago.

Look at the latest crop of Mazda interiors for example: you'd swear you were in a BMW only the car costs half as much.

>M*rcedes

The amount of millenials thinking that will happen is small, and in 20 years not even 50% of cars will be automated, i dont know where you get your numbers.
It is a danger for all truckers tho, i agree on that