What are the counter arguments for Net Neutrality?

What are the counter arguments for Net Neutrality?

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.streamingmedia.com/2010/10/an-overview-of-transparent-caching.html
dnsleaktest.com/what-is-transparent-dns-proxy.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How many telephone poles, cables, transmitters, and other physical infrastructure devices required to make the internet work do you own? Oh none? Then why do you deserve the same access to resources you don't own or maintain as the same people who built them? The internet isn't a public utility like water. It's capital owned by people to further their economic interests. if you want free unfettered access to the internet then you should build your own.

Kill yourself retard

I pay for the internet youu dumb cunt

But i already pay for internet so what are you on about

How many water filtration and treatment plants and other physical infrastructure devices required to clean tap water do you own? Oh none? Then why do you deserve the same access to resources you don't own or maintain as the same people who built them? Water isn't a public utility like internet. It's capital owned by people to keep the working class clean and alive. If you want free unfettered access to water you should filter your own.

Those giant ISP's actively collude to prevent smaller companies from laying fiber/cable lines and undercutting their monopolies you stupid ass.

They pay off local and state governments to pass laws that favor them. They have stupid rules like, if a new company wants to run new lines on PUBLICLY FUNDED utility poles, all companies with existing lines must have a technician present to ensure nothing is "destroyed". Good luck getting them all there at once. Even though they themselves have been caught destroying competitor fiber lines.

These are real problems Google ran into when trying to establish Fiber, even in the few backwards little cities

Go to the post office and demand that all packages should cost the same to ship, regardless of whether you are sending bowling balls or feather pillows. See what they say.

comcast bot detected

Net neutrality isn't bad. Internet being title II isn't the same thing.

>mfw i paid for my own FTTB
>mfw I collect and filter my own water via rooftop collection and well

>he thinks the internet falls from the sky like rain does
>he thinks the internet just exists in nature with no human intervention

jesus christ you're retarded

>pic
thanks for the laugh, user

Jews Exist

my argument would be does the law do what it intended to do and does it do it effectively

the answer would be no, here are a bunch of things that you use everyday without knowing anything about it in spite of any net neutrality laws

- transparent cache

- transparent proxy

- CDN boxes plugged straight into your ISP's core network

- your video data getting prioritized over non-video data

the problem your trying to fix is a large ISP cutting deals and abusing their monopoly, you could strengthen anti trust laws to fix this, or alternatively you could do what my country does

1. split last mile providers from ISPs (the cable to your door)

2. last mile providers must offer the same price to all isps (different prices for different products are fine but they cant give one isp a better deal than a different isp)

3. prohibit last mile providers from selling internet services direct to consumers

this creates a even platform for all ISP's to compete on and if they do shitty things you can change your ISP without needing a new cable to your door.

ISP's also cannot overcharge other ISP's to use their last mile network to keep a monopoly

How fucking heavy is that rock you have been living under

Cont. Details for the non technical

>transparent cache
Your ISP stores super common web material inside their network and reply as the destination ip (e.g. your isp does not ask for the facebook logo a million times a day it just sends you the assest from your ISPs cache)
blog.streamingmedia.com/2010/10/an-overview-of-transparent-caching.html

>transparent proxy
Send a dns reply as if you are the destination ip address
dnsleaktest.com/what-is-transparent-dns-proxy.html
Reduces network overhead

- CDN boxes plugged straight into your ISP's core network
Google, facebook, and akamai connect servers directly to isps core networks to get them to load faster

- your video data getting prioritized over non-video data
Should be obvious

Nice quads

No problem, mah nigga

This

By creating a free market with low barriers for entry you effectively end ISP monopolies

The last mile providers cannot sell level 3 customer internet so they cannot block you

The isp's all pay the same price for line rentals so the compete on cost and service

Net Neutrality and network neutrality are not synonymous simply because legislators were clever enough to name their bill after something people supported. Calling my terror bombing campaign "Operation: Happy Kittens" doesn't make it any less abhorrent.

We had network neutrality before the 2015 NN bill and even before the 1996 Telecom Act. For the last three decades network neutrality has been a de facto standard enforced by consumer demand and market forces instead of being imposed by the government. The regulations and the power the FCC had available prior to the 2015 Net Neutrality bill were more than adequate for 99% of cases where ISPs tried to subvert network neutrality, and the suggestion that we need to greatly expand their scope and power is ridiculous.

The rise of smaller ISPs over the last 20 years, especially mobile internet, has threatened the monopolies of companies like Comcast and Mediacom. Imposing new standards, regulations, and restrictions will ultimately only make it harder for these new competitors to survive in the same way that those imposed by the 1996 bill drove many of the early competitors out of business.

Bottom line: You're talking about allowing a federal agency to retain broad, overreaching regulatory powers over an entire medium; regulations that could be changed by any future administration and powers that will be much, MUCH harder to take away if and when they start being abused. If this was a bill giving the FTC more power to impose business standards on companies, we'd all be outraged. If this was a bill giving the ATF more power to enforce regulations on gun manufacturers and stores, we'd have already taken to the streets. But because it's the internet, because we're paranoid about protecting the access to free information and free speech it gives us, and because Leftist politicians have been clever enough to frame this debate as "if you don't support the NN bill you hate the internet", we're all divided about it

>s

'free markets' dont stay free without regulations, duh. monopolies are the natural and inevitable result of no regulation.

'free market' means free for all to participate, not free of regulation

who wants to watch a football game with no refs? all teams would cheat. it would just be a contest of cheating a la lance armstrong.

I think the point he was making is that the amount of power and the rules that already existed were already sufficient for 99% of cases.

To use your analogy, it would be like creating another hundreds of new rules for the game while simultaneously giving the refs a massive increase in their power to enforce the rules and punish players for violating them. It's unnecessary and will only end up hurting the game in the long run.