Why is it so rare for someone to admit defeat in an argument on Sup Forums?

Why is it so rare for someone to admit defeat in an argument on Sup Forums?

I think I've seen maybe 2 posters admit they were wrong in the last 6 years.

What is the point of debating if we can't change anybodys mind?

and by defeat i mean merely saying "Yeah OK i can see where you are coming from, maybe your position on this issue is not so unreasonable after all" i'm sorry user etc

>ancap
>thinks his opinions matters
lmao

this
>sage

You can't change someone's mind with debate unless it's a small change in opinion. That's why we have subversion and memetic warfare.

Good point.

Surely you have won over the lurkers with that post. I concede.

Fuck you, you're wrong

There's no need to admit anything on an anonymous forum. People only admit things to save face and not seem like a dick in public.

People absolutely do change their views based on debates here though. They just turn 360 degrees and walk away from their previous post on a thread by thread basis. In fact I believe being able to do this is why Sup Forums is so good at converting people as there's no shame in changing your views here.

Of course you are going to say that.

Like i said nobody ever admits when they are wrong here. Instead they go to name calling, shit flinging, screeching, or outright denial before they would ever admit it.

Face it Sup Forums you are unreasonable.

Until you become more reasonable you will never be considered a relevant voice.

I admitted I was wrong in a thread the other day. Someone had those nude modeling pictures of Ronda Rousey and I said "if a guy did that he'd have his sponsors drop him and SJWs would complain and try to cut him out of the sport." But some people posted similar stuff of male athletes and it turned out I was super wrong so I said so and went on with my day.

people don't do this IRL either, by and large. They are forced to concede defeat only through public opinion, which is only there with observers and judges during an argument. I do try and actually engage in arguments here and concede defeat if I either misunderstood something or was actually logically outclassed; it's a great opportunity that I don't understand why more people don't engage in. It's good practice for real arguments that is done without losing any face as it's all anonymous. People here just like weak ad hominem's and shitposting

They only realize they're wrong a few hours later after they've abandoned the thread. Wallowing in their emotions, their view changes if they can't reconcile their old beliefs. Yes, I'm projecting.

Why did Iran put their country so close to our military bases?

fuck off to leddit, faggot

Because then there would be no holocaust deniers that I can laugh at.

People can change their minds even if they don't tell you out of pride.

why the fuck is the ancap talking sense? lmao

He has

Go away an-cap bitch

Reddit is guilty of the same thing, just different methods.

For example when they don't want to acknowledge a truth or something that goes against the narrative they turn it into a pun chain so long that everyone forgets the original discussion point.

Why should anybody say that? The arguments stay for themself it's not for yourself to be completly convinct of the others arguments, but for the bystanders to judge. It's not like somebody with really opposed opinion is won over in one argument. So i guess you want some kind of hugbox or otherwise a clearity and certainty, which just isn't there in the real world.

Really deep contribution and so intellectual. Thanks for that.

Only 2 posters you have seen admit they are wrong? Better check your facts asshole. you saw 3 ppl admit being wrong....now fucking confess.

but this board is flooded with insecure shitskin turbovirgins, if these people "start admitting defeat" online, on top of already being pathetic sadcases irl, 4chins will turn into a barren wasteland

It's not about us, it's about the audience.

Doing your best to publicly smear shit all over someone that you know is correct just to save your own skin is selfish and is counter-productive.

Faggot pls leave
Ancaps belong in daycare
You never see it happen cuz you never win an argument, being that you must suffer from brain cancer to be ancap

admitting defeat is for faggots. I take anons points seriously and use them to reconsider my views all the time but only a pussy would make that known.

I've had a quite a few posters point out that i'm "obviously intelligent" and have even been called a good person that does not belong on this board. it also gets to the point where during a debate with some people bystanders have to call someone out for being ignorant when i bring up a point they've never heard of. for exaxmple I mentioned spherical trigonometry to someone and got called an idiot, and someone else had to tell them that's actually a series in mathematics.

nobody thinkss you have any valuable contributions except your mother

my mother doesn't even speak english, and i don't even speak the same language as my mother

fuck off for assuming we have a good relationship you nigger.

>I think I've seen maybe 2 posters admit they were wrong in the last 6 years.

The Jews did nothing wrong.

I was wrong.

fpbp

I think if more posters show a little humility so others can see it, it would set a good example for civil discussion that would make some real palatable change in others opinions, instead they only end up turning away in disgust.

Alas, Sup Forums would rather flounder in the backwaters for eternity so fuck it do what you like i guess

>publicly smear shit all over someone that you know is correct
I doubt my point was fully understood by you. I was talking about the Problem of not being sure, what the truth is and nearly no one would admit to be wrong, if he wasn't completly sure.
>saving your own skin is selfish
I like your illusions and i in away admire them. Good on you, if you actually try to stick to it honestly, which nearly nobody does. Like i said, i kind of suspect your world to be highly nominalistic and operating in a preserved certainty which just doesn't exist. Also not forgetting about much of our thinking being based on axioms, which by there very nature can't be discussed within their system.

this.

a good argument is a ticking time-bomb, to be processed and absorbed only after the heat of the debate has subsided.

*palpable

Cause I'm always right, and even when I'm not, I'm still more right than the inbred retards dwelling on this board
t. you have to go back

Agreed, meme flag posters are the worst.

>People absolutely do change their views based on debates here though. They just turn 360 degrees and walk away from their previous post on a thread by thread basis.

I've done this many times. It's less that people don't change their views here so much as they just don't vocalize it because why bother

>percieved certainty

I lurk here for my news more than post here, but when I do post I show my modesty and admit defeat if I'm shown evidence that I didnt know of before.

Thats the good part of Sup Forums honestly, theres so much information out there that each and every one of us doesnt know, as an individual, but as a collective we can inform and teach each other my showing sources of fallacies.

Well before I go on a rant, just wanted to say when I do admit defeat or show that I'm just trying to learn / be modest about my opinion, I usually get a real compassionate response as I would get if I was in a classroom, and they do the same. Sure there are some shit-posters but they are always gonna be there, like the class clown, if you're here to learn, you learn to ignore them and scout out information from the rest of the thread.

I wanted to tell OP about some times I've been wrong about global happening-tier matters, just to show that some of us at least have humility in this way... but I just can't think of any. Just about ANYTHING that's happened in the last twenty years has only vindicated my position. Sorry.

I have noticed this not just with people on Sup Forums, but with all humans. Usually it's "liberals" I'm arguing against. There is literally no way to change their minds, so I'm starting to wonder what's the point? Do we just ignore them all and keep voting for Trump?

I understand that some things are stubbornly stuck in the realm of opinion, but logic and data can often prove something that many times a belligerent will continue to deny despite being faced with undeniable evidence and it happens a lot here. These truths must be accepted or we go in circles forever with endless threads about them which is pretty much what happens. If a conclusion has been reached about a certain topic why do we continue to discuss it ad nauseam?

I realize this is to be expected to a certain extent on this site however Sup Forums has taken to what is in my opinion a sickening extreme to the point that the topics become irrelevant and turn into memes and nobody takes memes seriously so you can see how that is counterproductive.

Debating.isn't about changing your opponent's mind. That rarely ever happens. The best you can do is win hard and trigger an episode of cognitive dissonance where they sperg out and go ad hominem on you, which means you won't. Your primary goal in a debate is to convince spectators that you are right and your opponent is wrong. The best you can do is sway fence sitters to your side or make the less fanatical consider your points seriously.

Why would anyone ''admit defeat'', instead of simply not commenting? That's for saving face situations, this is not reddit. Only arguments and information matters, not the persons behind them.

Especially when in real life debating. Even if we rationally think that we like people that admit when they are wrong, people will see you as an idiot. It's not persuasive.

I usually do it

But i rarely stay around long enough to see if anyone replies

Fuck we need to build an island base in the Caspian Sea.

There is no winner or loser in shitposting

the earth is flat, take a good look at your flag.

Vocalizing would let others know that it is OK to change your mind. They would see that and it would set an example.

Nobody vocalizes it, and it leads to others thinking that its unacceptable to change your stance.

>nobody else is doing it so why should i?

Swallowing your pride is a sign of strength, not weakness.

Poor ancap. Never geting any unironic love