Anyone else swallowed the blue pill in the 80's?

Growing up in the 80's as a kid I used to believe the stuff we were tolled. Acid rain was a big issue back then. All trees and fish would die if we didn't do something about our environment.
I remember being very angry at the government for not doing enough! I was a good little blue pilled liberal (on this issue)!

So what ever happened to the acid rain story? And did you also believed the stories they tolled you about the environment.

Other urls found in this thread:

nypost.com/2013/11/02/love-canal-still-oozing-poison-35-years-later/#
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Crap I knew I should have gone with a more click bait title and picture. Damn you pol!

It's not the title or the pic both caught my eye, I was born in the early 90s so I can't relate, as a matter of fact most people on this board are going to be too young to have been aware during the 80s if born at all

I too remember the acid rain scare. Much like the current global warming scare, they always need to keep people in fear so thier attention does not stay on the powers that be, and the job they are doing.

I can distinctly remember the Weekly Reader that we had to take turns reading aloud in class. Was like a little news paper for kids. And one section I was called on to read warned that AIDS was likely to become an airborne disease in just a few short years! Of course this was 30+ years ago.

But we still get disease scares every few years. Gotta stoke the fear engine!

They are already doing the same thing with "global warming". It's "climate change" now. So if anything unusual happens, they can blame it on white industry.

I grew up in the 2000s and swallowed the red pill very early thanks to all the shit around my generation

The 9/11 generation will either be very redpilled or complete drug addicts

We introduced sulfur scrubbers in all industrial coal-burning powerplants, you big faggot. The problem was solved because actual scientists described the problem and introduced policy to fix it.

>What is low-sulphur diesel?
>What is a catalytic converter?
They curbed a specific type of pollution which in turn reduced the problem.

Remember the ozone layer stripped on the Southern Hemisphere?

Massive reductions in ChloroFlouroCarbons have allowed the ozone layer to replenish itself.

Guess what? We're still using cars, trucks, coal and aerosol now more than ever. Not everything is a globalist plot.

Yep. Especially pushed in NY. We were shown how the acid rain was destroying our statues. More than acid rain, Global Cooling was the big issue. We were told that a new ice age was coming. How did they get it so wrong in ten years time and why she we rely on the same science telling us about the inevitability of Climate Change? I'm not a denier but I am somewhat of a skeptic having been blue-pilled to think the opposite was true when I was a kid.

They first used sulfuric acid in Geoengineering ..Now its Aluminum

DDT, acid rain, ozone holes, global warming... what's next?

No one has done any stratospheric aerosol geoengineering yet, you massive faggot, and sulfuric acid certainly won't be used as it catalyzes ozone depletion reactions. If you look at SAGE2 or AURA MLS or even TOMS output, you'll see that aerosol optical density has only been highly perturbed during the years following Pinatubo (1991 - 1993) when natural volcanic sulfate cooled the surface of the earth by about 2 degrees Celsius while simultaneously destroying about ten percent of the ozone column in the northern Hemisphere midlatitudes.

yea i remember that shit, what a fucking joke. death to jews.

>acid rain

I remember this too. People saying thats why men went bald was due to the acid rain eating the hair way. Of course I was a child and didn't ask "why weren't the womens hair melting away too?"

And why would they use aluminum? The current state of the art is calcite (pic related). And no, they haven't deployed this in an atmospheric experiment yet.

The 9/11 generation is really redpilled, at least the males, and that's all that matters.

Ooooooook Dipshit

They moved on and went with global warming, now climate change. Wonder what their next spin will be to steal taxpayer money?

This.

Pollution was much worse during the 80's

Another theory was that leaded gasoline was the reason for increased crime in the 70's and 80's. Direct correlation. Maybe people in urban areas were getting brain damage from leaded gasoline emissions? Probably not, but nobody is complaining that they banned that shit.

is that what happened to the ozone layer?

David Keith the one who proposed spraying sulfuric acid ? google the video Faggot

Midlatitude ozone is recovering but was never highly depleted. The seasonal Antarctic ozone hole still exists and will still exist until 2070 at least because of the long atmospheric lifetime of halons and chlorofluorocarbons and the chinks still releasing huge amounts of dichloromethane because they're chinks. The first Arctic ozone hole manifest itself in 2011... And more are expected as climate change produces a colder stratosphere, allowing for NAT PSC formation.

and spray cans eating the ozone layer

You're thinking of Paul Crutzen. Keith is against spraying sulfuric acid, which is why he's proposing calcite.

grad 2011 here, they're *still spouting that bull bro, not any different...

No I'm not... Yes he is/was

You could make a similar argument that the legalization of abortion decreased crime a generation later in the 1990s.

Keith argues that there may come a time when we have to intervene. He states that sulfuric acid would be a terrible thing because of associated ozone depletion. That's why the title of the article was "geoengineering without ozone loss" as in - not using sulfuric acid.

Yep sounds like we could have went to the same school

>So what ever happened to the acid rain story
Manufacturing plants were required to put anti-pollution devices on the exhausts of their businesses to convert the nitrogen (which was altering the Ph of the soil, due to it's acidity.) into sulphur, which didn't make nutrients unavailable to trees by altering soil ph.

Overpopulation was the world's biggest challenge just years ago. As soon as developed nations overcame it, it was time to replace them with a 'more fertile' people.

>Especially pushed in NY
That's because nitrogen was being spewed out of midwestern manufacturing facilites, where it got into the jet stream which brought it east killing the trees. Of course NY would be fucking mad, the Adirondack park was being ruined by midwest manufacturing pissing on their forests, killing them.

Don't forget about, muh ozone layer! Or, muh rainforest, how we gonna breeve with no rain forest? Global warming which turned to climate change is getting stale so my guess is we'll have a new Eco-boogeyman anytime now.

>what happened?

What is scientific research, cross border agreements, and the Clean Air Act, which established the Acid Rain Program?

>how we gonna breeve with no rain forest
You realize destroying the planets carbon sinks might not be a good thing.

i really dont get this climate denial stuff. obviously hman beings will not die off any time soon but i can see things changing around me and my country. so it is happening. but its not as immediate or dangerous as the doom people say. denying things just because crazies said it is not very smart. the climate is changing the sun is getting hotter so we got to do some thing. no coal no solar may be better non pollutant batteries or safer nuclear tech.

More or less correct, except it was mainly sulfur that caused the problem, not nitrogen. Nitrogen oxides cause tropospheric ozone by rapidly cycling with organic alcohols.. and this causes photochemical smog among other things.

they're very red pilled degenerate drug addicts

it's both

>Gotta stoke the fear engine!
working on it user :D for you!

I'm actually in favor of protecting the environment by prosecuting polluters and enacting some relations to protect what we can. However, the multi-trillion dollar scam known as the Paris Climate Accord is by it's own creators expected to do very little. So, I'm just being a bit flippant about the issue.

Those asshole are just trying to profit from problems. Never let a perfectly good disaster go to waste.

>Samefag here
...I don't doubt that further overpopulation would cause more problems. Nor that leveling population off isn't a good thing. On the contrary.

In fact I believe we should throw a big celebration for the fact that we've achived it in accross much of the globe and shown that it is possible.

Of course some nations have gone too far in this regard and no boubt that will bring its own challenges. But with automation threatening jobs, one would think this might be a natural fit.

>Acid rain

Good question. The acid rain meme. At one time an unavoidable term. In every headline. Your mention of it here is the first time that I have heard or even though of the phrase in donkey's years. That's funny. Goes to show, doesn't it?

This is how stupid half of this "Redpill" stuff is.

"Hurr Durr, the cataclysm didn't happen so it was all a lie"

No, you fucking moron. Before the left in the US went full crazy they were and still had key issues where they stood for principles of the sane. Acid rain was one of them. The people demanded a change in which chemicals were able to be pumped into the atmosphere in terms of sulfur content and low and behold: The government regulated their use and the cases of corrosive acid rain drastically decreased. We still get some rare cases but its not nearly as common place.

There is a reason that every intellectually honest non-AnCap crazy right-winger says things like:

"My grand-dad was a staunch Democrat but today he would be an Independent or a Moderate Conservative" The Overton Window simply shifted.

just another government scheme to make their friends rich
the problem with libtards is that they are so fucking stupid they don't see it
all you have to do is appeal to their emotions, throw in a few celebrities, and bam, they can't stop talking about it.

Oldfag here born 1972
I remember the acid rain crap
I always thought it was scary when I was little thinking it would literally rain super corrosive acid that would eat my flesh
And then the coming ice age due to man made global cooling
I also grew up not far from Love Canal so that was huge news but I don't remember too much propaganda about that
That was just stupid planning

acid rain was still a topic when I was growing up mid-90's

Really? I was born in '95 and I got taught about acid rain and I remember being pretty concerned with it and then it was never, ever mentioned again

>I don't know what sulfur dioxide is
>I don't know what nitrogen oxides are

It's like this thread is sponsored by a coal mining company. Kek.

>That's funny. Goes to show, doesn't it?
It goes to show environmental issues can be fixed. It's important not to let the "elites" use the environment to bleed us. Just think of how things went from derision (treehuggers) to serious (the paris accords) they try to find social causes they can profit from because they have "the will of the people" behind them.

same

probably havent heard of it since the 90s

The "acid rain crap"... what does that mean? are you denying that acid rain was occurring? are you denying that the steps taken to reduce sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides resulted in less acid rain?

If it's really so cut and dried the they ought to make more of this. As a morale booster, general shot in the arm. Might go some way toward countering the hopelessness that a lot feel with regards to government. Although I'm not sure if elite tiers in society want to encourage input from the masses.

Lets be real, Cletus probably thinks Chemistry is a liberal arts degree.

>it goes to show that environmental issues can be fixed

through scientific research, public pressure, regulations and international agreements?

>Love Canal
>That was just stupid planning
No that was corruption.

NIAGARA FALLS — Thirty-five years after Love Canal’s oozing toxic waste scared away a neighborhood and became a symbol of environmental catastrophe, history could be repeating itself.

New residents, attracted by promises of cleaned-up land and affordable homes, say in lawsuits that they are being sickened by the same buried chemicals from the disaster in the Niagara Falls neighborhood in the 1970s.

“We’re stuck here. We want to get out,” said 34-year-old Dan Reynolds, adding that he’s been plagued by mysterious rashes and other ailments since he moved into the four-bedroom home purchased a decade ago for $39,900.

nypost.com/2013/11/02/love-canal-still-oozing-poison-35-years-later/#

Basically what happened was American scientific illiteracy. Acid rain is a real thing. It happens, it's because of pollution, and it has devastated plenty of eco-systems. However, unlike the American-idiot's misconception of rain that melts your face, acid rain actually means rain with a low PH balance (acidic), and the primary damage it causes is to water systems and infrastructure built with concrete.

It is a giant problem. It's affecting soil, fresh-water fish, sidewalks and buildings. It isn't something that is easily noticeable, because it takes years to have an impact. And neither you nor I can tell the difference between acidic rain and not-acidic rain.

That and also the ozone hole.

I was born upstate NY at the foothills of the Adirondacks. Half the park was dead/dying in the 90s, the whole Adirondack Northway was lined with dead swamps on either side because of the acid rain.

While the overall look has recovered quite a bit due to the efforts of the NY DEC (Dept of Environmental Conservation) and the pollution laws enacted, they still have to manually stock game fish multiple times a year in every lake/river, damn fishing license costs have increased 500% in the past decade.

If the pond/lake isn't easily accessible (like beautiful remote lakes at the end of a hike) it's essentially dead aside from a few hearty creatures like frogs or sunfish. The Asian Carp (introduced by retard in the 1800s) is resilient to pollution and has had zero competition, which really makes it incredibly difficult to get those gamefish populations back up, even though the water quality has recovered.

Climate will always change. Thats why they dropped Global Warming for Climate Change.

Lmao what the fuck, how would that work? It only rained in those small areas?

Incorrect. Global warming is measurably occurring and caused by humans. American conservatives, forced to address the issue, began referring to it as "anthropogenic climate change" because Americans are stupid and things that are technical-sounding are easy for them to ignore, because they're too stupid to understand. Scientists and people on the left agreed with the conservative, more-technical description, and simply embraced it. That's why the term changed.

Guy at MIT just got prrmission to use 25 gulfstream jets to spray some sulphur aerosol for a geoengineering study.

nobody denies that the climate always changes. Why don't you actually read what people are saying instead of thinking you're smarter than everyone?

Here is an idea...why don't all of you lazy fucking humans pick up one bag of trash off the planet a month. 84 billion bags of trash a year, a trillion over a decade. It doesn't require any government intervention, it would shut them down and confuse them until they figured out how to take credit for it.

So when are we going to stop describing the problem of global warming, and start throwing money at engineers that can actually fix it.

Those are swamps/marshes, while they do act as sorts of filters water doesn't pass through them as quickly as a lake/stream and so they become overwhelmed quickly and essentially choke out the plants/vegetation.

>So what ever happened to the acid rain story?

We did something about it, and now it's not as as bad as it used to be.

Lead absolutely has an effect on criminality.

>And neither you nor I can tell the difference between acidic rain and not-acidic rain.
Sure you can, collect it and test the Ph user.

It's a complex problem. The post you're responding to is literally an example of exactly what you're asking "when" on. So the answer is "since the 1980s." It's a big problem without a single, magical solution.

Yeah aside from acid rain, we had mysterious "Waldsterben", an ever expanding ozon layer which would give everybody cancer and grill the oceans. All whales will go extinct by the year 2000 (nobody foresaw the whale epidemic, kek). The Sahel zone will grow so large that agriculture will become impossible in africa.

and many other classics

They banned those aersols and use others. Ozone hole not an issue any more.

This. I'm glad at least some people on Sup Forums are not complete and utter retards.

>HURR DURR REMEMBER THIS PROBLEM FROM A COUPLE OF DECADES AGO?
>IT'S NOT SUCH A BIG PROBLEM ANYMORE
>I GUESS IT WAS A GLOBALIST SCARE TACTIC, HUH?
>I'M SO FUCKING REDPILLED!

Oh yeah? I just got back from Queensbury yesterday. I was born and raised in Saratoga. I love the Adirondacks and I don't want them ruined.

Well sure. I just meant "acid rain" isn't something green, gooey and face-melting that smells like plastic and brimstone. It's just rain with a low PH balance. And, in the 80s in the USA, yellow-ish journalism sorta failed to make that clear because the headline wasn't exciting enough. Because scientific reporting isn't great.

>here's an idea
>just pick up garbage
>there's not too much garbage, we just need more garbage dumps

I pick up garbage all the time jackass. Not going to do a lot to keep the fish in the lakes edible if the local mill is emitting mercury into the atmosphere.

see

In reality, it wasn't that big of a problem and the measures required to curb it were very simple.

We're lucky that we acted so soon, because acid rain wasn't a hoax like global warming.

Didn't your parents tell you not to be a retard in public?
I was replying to the op
Read the fucking op
When I was a kid I thought the story was that acid rain would eat me alive. I now know what it was.

I would be okay if acid rain just meant rain that had lsd in it.

What problem would that solve? 84 billion bags of trash a year still have to go somewhere. The problem of pollution isn't reducible to seeing a plastic wrapper stuck on a tree, you fucking retard.

This. Toxic identity politics destroyed the left.

Why does it require an international agreement to handle your shitty mill? Stupid leaf.

Acid rain is an example where environmental regulations actually reduced pollution and solved the problem in Europe /USA.

The problem activists face now is that industry is so clean, that they need to start making up problems and labeling beneficial gasses like CO2 as pollutants.

Yes, about 1990 noticed a drastic change in our teachers. Learned about the rainforest and how we were going to lose the entire rainforest in Brazil by 2000. For almost an entire year solid indoctrination. Also learned about AIDS, LA Riots, Gays before they were ever called (((LGBTQETC))) Indoctrinate at young ages, most probably never recovered.

Acid rain stopped being an issue because all the factories moved to China. Also, scrubbers on coal burning power plants

Again another retard.
I was posting what I saw as a little kid. I know what happened now. But back then I was a little fucking kid only worried about playing with my new Atari 2600.

>I was replying to OP!
>Acid rain was a big issue back then. All trees
and fish would die if we didn't do something about our environment.
(You):>Oldfag here. I remember all that acid rain crap

Acid rain, ozone layer, peak oil, it was all bullshit.

Everyone talking about the Clean Air Act isn't addressing the actual fact that acid rain wasn't a big problem to begin with. It was inflated to fuck and back for shackles by the Retarded Left.

Journalism in the 80s didn't really see the harm in exxagerating sciency stuff if it got people to "do the right thing".
Unfortunately that mentality leads to science doubt and general ignorance, as lying to people isn't very good scientific practice.

>When I was a kid I thought the story was that acid rain would eat me alive. I now know what it was.

So you were a dumb kid?

And since the 1990s we've had massive public-policy pushes to save rainforests and halt the HIV epidemic. The LAPD reformed.

It's not "indoctrination," you drooling idiot. It's working to solve problems.

>What problem would that solve? 84 billion bags of trash a year still have to go somewhere
Yeah...you're right...it's better to just leave it where it is, that's the practical solution, do nothing, because it's working so well and then let the people who caused the mess force legislation making you and I pay for the threat of an invisible gas, lol.

Kinda like 75 percent of the posters here? Yes

Hell as 82 kid I remeber this stuff beeing shown even here under commie regimie and in early 90`s.

Fucking CAPITAN PLANET ... when I look at its multi cultural cast now, fuck disgusting.

>wind does not blow across national borders
>mercury emissions, sulfur dioxide from U.S. can't affect Canada

>the LAPD reformed
No, the Asians just left LA. They learned the truth about California politics the hard way.