In metric, one milliliter of water occupies one cubic centimeter, weighs one gram...

In metric, one milliliter of water occupies one cubic centimeter, weighs one gram, and requires one calorie of energy to heat up by one degree centigrade - which is 1 percent of the difference between its freezing point and its boiling point. An amount of hydrogen weighing the same amount has exactly one mole of atoms in it.

Why Americans don't have this?

Other urls found in this thread:

businessinsider.com/pisa-rankings-2013-12
archive.is/WGeMG
youtube.com/watch?v=i7qQEJW8K_U
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superior_highly_composite_number
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because we can do fractional math without bursting into tears.

inb4 same pic with hand giving the finger and metric being a minorah

how come>?

who cares
you can do with either

metric is more convenient though

>Because we can do fractional math

No you can't.

I do it all the time, leaf.
Education.

Well, most of us do use liters and CM. I don't really get how C is better than F for everyday use, and I feel that feet and inches are better for everyday use.

I seriously doubt that

We do have it. We use it for selling each other drugs. The grossest most illiterate drug dealer in America can do unit conversions like a fuckin calculator. How many grams to a quarter pound? 113.4. Not .5, .4. We know this. And don't get me started on pot growers. My girlfriend taught herself calculus to figure out how to optimize plant spacing in the greenhouse. All that shit's in metric.

>amerifats doing math

top kek 10/10

Had to learn both at school which has left me using speed and distance in miles, height in feet and inches , centimeters and millimetres for anything small Celsius for temp and litres for most liquids. At least it's left me pretty fucking good at converting between them all. But still a pain in the arse.

>I don't really get how C is better than F for everyday use

It is simple
For example, in Poland the lowest temperature ever was -40C. The highest +40C.
The temperature in a sunny day in Egypt is around 40C. The temperature in a cold night in Syberia is around -40C.
0C - water might be frozen or a liquid (water doesn't start to freeze at 0C).
36.6C - the temperature of a body of a healthy human

In other words
under -25 is extremely cold
-25 to -10 is very cold
-10 to 5 is cold
5 to 15 is chilly
15 to 25 is comfy
25 to 30 is pretty hot, but still pretty fine
30 to 40 is very hot
above 40 is fucking hot

>American education
>I do it all the time

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Your education system is shit and the majority of Americans are terrible at math and science, way below OECD average.

businessinsider.com/pisa-rankings-2013-12

That's why it's always funny seeing Americans claiming they're capable of doing math.

What if we archive it
archive.is/WGeMG

Using base 10 is arbitrary

Imperially units are frequently more pragmatic to reason about because the relative proportions were defined through actual use instead of just multiplying shit by 10.

You'll notice, for instance, that decimal time hasn't exactly taken the world by storm.

Because the imperial system is very good when you have to divide things by 3s or 4s. In American chemistry, we use both because converting is so easy.

Not only are the Imperial units less intuitive, but they are terrible for science. Especially that one user bringing up why C instead of F. I think he forgot the part where the SI scale for temperature is Kelvin and not Rankine.

Imperial system truly is all around terrible at everything.

> Come up with base units of measurement, arbitrarily defined by the result of some science experiment involving water.

> All other units are derived by blinding multiplying this arbitrary base by 10

> "Why would anyone ever use some arbitrary system instead of this one????"

How the fuck is a standard that evolved from actual practice less intuitive than one defined by a fucking algorithm.

Holy shit, it's one thing to suggest metric is better for many purposes, but you people are fucking dense.

>missing the point of the exercise

What was the point of the exercise?

Just like your health and care system is shit and the majority of Canadians are great at sucking nigger dick?

Every time

Because we hated the brits so much at our founding that we decided to use imperial measurements just to spite them. Literally political reasons.

We know its retarded but somehow we landed on the moon with it.

The scientific community usually uses the metric system though.
Which already caused numerous problems not only within NASA.

The guidance system for the lunar module used the metric system and just converted it to imperial for astronaut readings. One of the programmers talks about the computer here
>doneyles.com/LM/Tales.html
>Inside the computer we used metric units, at least in the case of powered-flight navigation and guidance. At the operational level NASA, and especially the astronauts, preferred English units. This meant that before being displayed, altitude and altitude-rate (for example) were calculated from the metric state vector maintained by navigation, and then were converted to feet and ft/sec.

Metric system is better for calculation
Imperial system is better for measurement

/thread

When someone asks you when you were born would you say "16 November, 1980" or "November 16th, 1980"? That's why MM/DD/YYYY is used. I can't defend the rest through, it's England's fault.

>1000 of this is 100 of this is 10 of this etc
>OMG NOT INTUITIVE!!!!!!!!! CONVERSION IS TOO HARD

>12 of this is 3 of this is 1760 is 16 of this
>So intuitive and helpful :) Conversion is Ez-Pz

You have to be joking... Those "actual practices" aren't practiced anymore dumbfuck. Your Imperial units used to be different from country to country (like the foot) and they really were terrible and not intuitive.

Metric units are international and constant. Easy to convert, used in SI units and defined in a way the entire world can agree on (one kilogram is the mass of one cubic centimetre of water at the melting point of ice).

I don't know the context of the image, but given the 'estimate' comment by the teacher, the fact that the student only lost 1 point, and the calculation done by the teacher, my guess is that the exercise was teaching people to quickly judge numbers as 'reasonable' by doing a fast and dirty estimated calculation instead of an actual exact calculation. so while the person was correct that 75 is a reasonable answer (and in fact the exact answer), they were supposed to get there by showing that it is reasonable because it is very close to a quickly calculated estimated value, aka 100-30=70.

on the job, in many jobs, you need to be quickly calculating numbers instead of slowly finding exact numbers. people do this all the time to quickly decide if a number 'makes sense' or not. 103-28 is not hard to do exactly, but it's an exercise to get you ready for when you need to multiply 151 x 87 and estimate a quick, reasonable #

>B-BUT CANADA IS LE KEK
Every time. Why do burgers hate intellectual discussion?

How often does the average citizen measure the mass of a certain volume of water?

This entire regime has been constructed to eliminate simple conversion factors. It's kind of ridiculous when you think about it

To ruin America

>Just like your health and care system is shit

At least I have health care lmao. Enjoy being in 20,000 $ debt after some nigger hits you with a car.

>majority of Canadians are great at sucking nigger dick?

Uh, Jamal, I think you're forgetting that YOUR country is the one infested with niggers, not mine. By the way, thanks for bringing niggers up.

Your country isn't even a first world one, you have effectively surrendered so many cities to niggers that a good portion of your country is third-world tier. Now go back to listening to nigger music and using niggers in sports.

>threads his own braindead comment

American education, every time

That teacher should be fired on the spot

Metric distance and weight makes sense
Celsius is retarded and needs to be killed

Nigga, if need to estimate when working with 2 two digit number subtractions you should probably off yourself

it's not about need, it's about speed. doing quick, imprecise calculations has value in the real world.

You measure a hole. Caliber says 1.4358". Need to fit a 1" 7/16 bar stock through. Wat do?

>0 is the freezing point
>100 is the boiling point

How on earth is this not the best system?

There are plenty of good arguments for the metric system being better.

The notion that metric units are more intuitive for day-to-day life is not one of those arguments. This is literally the one advantage imperial units have, and I can assure you I'm not the first person to notice this. For many practical applications, the relative sizes you need to work with are not powers of 10.

You are not smarter than the cooks, scientists, and tradesmen who personally prefer imperial units. On the contrary, the fact that you're too dense to even comprehend their position suggests you might be pretty fucking stupid.

Let me know when you can explain why decimal time hasn't been adopted.

j-jam it in! With a hammer!
Beause Murica!

>teaching kids how to shortcut

No scientist uses imperial and only tradesmen over 60 use it. I only use it when I want to be a cunt or when I'm working on my old piece of shit car

Are they learning that or are they just learning "go to make believe-land and pretend you're stupid by imagining you had to estimate and then make up a story about how you estimated"

The fact that the question even says the real answer renders this question a completely retarded exercise in compliance and nothing else.

>the right one looks like a menorah
Really makes you think

>Founding fathers hated brits so much they decided to use imperial to spite them.

Literal what the fuck, hate the cunts but do it their way anyway.

We would say 16th of November 1980. How are you this retarded.

This is simply false and you're now basically spreading pro-metric-system propaganda.

You people are amazingly committed to your refusal to even fucking comprehend the opposing perspective.

Still waiting to hear why you're not all clamoring for decimal time, by the way.

Also waiting to see that petition that astronomers should stop using AU, parsec, etc that you're all so enthusiastic about.

t. Never been to uni
Metric is not used in science. End of story.

You have a square mile of field. Need to spread 1 inch of manure. How many cubic feet needeth?

why do we do this

*imperial

I didn't say metric is not used in science, I said you're a fucking tard if you can't fathom why some people don't prefer in various cases.

And if your only experience with this is at university then please suck my dick and stop talking to me. FYI I've been working with practicing engineers of various disciplines for the past decade because I write related software.

you get double the detail with F so it is objectively better

I have no idea what they were thinking in the 18th century lol. I think precision measurements were much less of an issue then. Using the metric system back then was considered un-american.

perhaps our founding fathers were god tier trolls determined to buttblast the british for hundreds of years.

Nah, I'm a tradesmen who went on to study at university.
>"real world" usage in trades = confined to old cunts and when working on American engines
>"pretend World" of university =not used at all and rightfully fucked off.

Imperial units are scaled to the human body. They are easier to make measurements with in day to day life

B-but what if you're a pot of water that's trying to boil?? F is so much less intuitive!

Imperial is better than metric. Metric's units are really only 1 unit: meter. You don't have any other method of measuring because all you are doing is shifting the decimal place. In contrast imperial has context sensitive units that are more appropriate for everyday scale

12 is a superior highly composite number that is divisible by 2, 3, 4, and 6. This makes the foot optimal for dividing into inches. Additionally room size measurements can be approximated using your body as reference.

Yards to a mile is only off screen because of graph manipulation. You would have the same problem if you put millimeters to centimeters, then centimeters to kilometers.

While 16 is not a superior highly composite number it is a power of two, allowing for easily spliting in two

Additionally, these numbers are not lengthy. Splitting a foot by 6 is 2". Splitting a meter by 6 is 16.66cm repeating (or 16 and 2/3rd cm). To be fair using metric's biggest strength: splitting a meter by 5 yields 20 cm, while splitting a foot by 5 yields 2.4" or 0.2 feet. Splitting a pound by 4 gives you 4 ounces or 0.25 pounds, while splitting a kilogram by 4 gives you 250 grams. In almost every case, imperial provides more everyday uses, and allows more than one expression of a value, and can be shortly communicated.

TL;DR: if you and 3 friends wanted a pizza would you rather get one that was cut into 12 pieces or 10 pieces?

Your position has gotten so stupid that I don't even feel obligated to respond after this. Bye.

This has nothing to do with politics.
Fuck off, cunt.

youtube.com/watch?v=i7qQEJW8K_U

Only a country with that system put a man on the moon.

Metric system is so much more accurate. Anyone whose worked on autos knows

>thinking shortcuts have no value in the real world

"hey bob, do you think 10 bottles of wine is enough for the party?"

"well we have 20 people coming and I know half of them can drink a bottle on their own. so 10 sounds like not enough, let's do 15 to be safe"

"no, no, bob! that's not an exact calculation, you took a shortcut! let's measure out how much each person is going to drink based on past amounts and survey results and buy that exact amount. i'll grab the calculator and we can re-assess in 30 minutes"

"but we need to buy now"

"shortcuts are bad!"

How is my position stupid? You claimed that there are scientist that use imperial and I'm telling you that you're wrong. Im sure amerisharts don't actually use imperial for their highschool science classes, do they?

Also metric thread system is much better as the standard pitch is between unc and unf, a sweet spot for most engineering purposes

Factually incorrect. Freezing to boiling you've got 100 degrees of difference with which to describe something. With Fahrenheit there are 212 degrees of difference so it is by definition more accurate.

>my arbitrary system of measurement is better than your arbitrary system of measurement

WOW!

Unless you're telling me that you're using some special metric measurements based on the Planck constant or something, no it isn't.

My response had nothing to do with shortcuts.

Is anyone here actually reading this?

Can anyone here read?

Stupid burgers in here

Compare a metric thread to a standard one
You can torque em down way more accurately

Metric is fruity, but its superior

You don't need to teach kids how to fuck up a subtraction, m8. They can do that on their own.

> "stupid burgers"

> thinks a chosen unit of measure has fucking anything to do with "accuracy"

This is honestly a kindergarten-tier sympathetic magic way of thinking.

You should come to Canada mate.

We measure height and lumber in feet, we divide up our land into square miles and square feet ,but measure distance in kilometers and fuel economy miles to the gallon. We sell that fuel by the liter though.
We weigh ourselves by the pound but weigh everything in the grocers by the gram. And we use all three forms of date system. 10/11/12 could be fucking anything.

Unironically still asking for a burger to answer these

>Celsius is retarded and needs to be killed
Is 80F two times hotter than 40F?
is 200F two times hotter than 100F?

Because in Celsius - yes.

This. Saying anything else then a day first is fucking retarded.

>Still waiting to hear why you're not all clamoring for decimal time, by the way.
Historic reasons. Metric, kilogram and Celsius systems are fairly new (19th century or so), while 24h/60min system comes from ancient Greece and Egypt, and the number 12 (12 hours during the day, 12 hours during the night) comes from the amount of visible stars on the sky. And 60 was used by Greek astronomers because ancient Babylonians used base 60 (no idea why)

> Also waiting to see that petition that astronomers should stop using AU,
AU has a very specific use and it won't be used elsewhere than is science field. Just like radian and steradian are SI derived units, because these are much convenient in the usage - but if the whole world uses metric and Celsius system except for America and the UK, then it is something wrong with Anglos.

No, idiot, you can have decimals in between degrees (eg. 6.784534 degrees celsius), and since there are infinite numbers between numbers they are both equally accurate if measured accurately

The fact that he was talking about tools was completely lost on you because you havn't ever done anything meaningful like work with your hands. Eat a dick you coddled fucking cuck.

Because it's actually like this.

Dates are filters on time ranges, not some pyramid that you build from the top to the bottom somehow. Additional filters not shown are hours, minutes, seconds.

>merishart education

Is that all you foreign cucks have to be proud of?

>Is 80F two times hotter than 40F?
>is 200F two times hotter than 100F?
>
>Because in Celsius - yes.
Lol retard.

Oh so you're saying that sometimes there's an argument to be made that deriving a measurement from something practical is more desirable than generating it via an algorithm based on powers of 10.

Huh, that's weird.

:head explodes because I'm a liberal who overheard the metric system is a reasonable thing to get sanctimonious about:

Fucking triggered I hated 3rd grade math for this exact reason and I still think that at 8-9 years of age, I was already smarter than the teacher. Mrs Kurtz was a bitch and she looked and sounded like Hillary Clinton. Probably voted for that cunt too.

>3rd grade math homework
>Use the guess-and-check method to find the right answer
>In fucking tears because I have to do the same problem 5 times until I get the answer
>Dad calms me down and shows me how to do basic algebra
>Use basic algebra to do the assignment in 5 minutes
>Next day
>In tears again because I got an F on the assignment for doing it a more efficient way than the (((Mrs. Kurtz))) method.
>I was being punished for being better at something than my classmates
>Dad visits the school and yells at the teacher until she gives me credit for the assignment

And that is why I'm not a communist.

Explain to me why metric units allow for more "accuracy" when working with tools.

there is quite a bit more where that came from

why the fuck would you need calculus for distances. you are confirming your retarded burger self

>12 hours during the night) comes from the amount of visible stars on the sky. And 60 was used by Greek astronomers because ancient Babylonians used base 60 (no idea why)
>comes from the amount of visible stars on the sky
>(no idea why)
Ha, what kind of bullshit are you pulling out of your ass? It's highly divisible:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superior_highly_composite_number

If we were intelligent beings, we'd be using base 12 or 60.

Huh? If I need more details I will just say that there is 28C today and everyone will know that it is hot outside.

wew, lad
Here, let me tell you something: If you extend your arms, then the distance between the end of your hands will be equal to your height. So if I know that my height is 1.8m, then it is easy from now on.

> You would have the same problem if you put millimeters to centimeters, then centimeters to kilometers

1m = 1000mm
1cm = 10mm = 0.1m
1km = 1000m

>While 16 is not a superior highly composite number it is a power of two, allowing for easily spliting in two
base 16 is fairly good in IT, but not in everyday use

> Splitting a foot by 6 is 2". Splitting a meter by 6 is 16.66cm repeating (or 16 and 2/3rd cm)
Why would I split a meter by 6?
Everyone tries to split by 5 or 10

> while splitting a kilogram by 4 gives you 250 grams
or 0.25kg, this is the most popular weight of products

>TL;DR: if you and 3 friends wanted a pizza would you rather get one that was cut into 12 pieces or 10 pieces?
I would just split it by 3 and from there everyone would split as he/she pleases

burger education hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I was going to ask about that elegant system for 100 or 1000 day years next lol.