Sup Forums's thoughts on fracking

I understand that it has greatly reinforced our independence from foreign oil and natural gas. I understand that it has been great for smaller local economies in areas of active drilling.

but when this economic boom comes at the cost of contaminating/destroying a far more valuable resource (water) its not worth it. Not to mention the negligent damage/destruction of other peoples property that comes from, flow back, containment failure of wastewater, and well casing failures, these all lead to the contamination of watersheds, and aquifers that will poison the local water supply and the water on other peoples property.

and keep in mind when the fracking boom inevitably busts all the local economies that pinned themselves to it are going to fail. then they will be broke, and will be living on tainted land.

Other urls found in this thread:

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1500167965041.webm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

We're in one of those awkward stages of civilizational development where we want to start slurping up enough of the crust for processing that we're in danger of causing bits of it to collapse. Right now it's only little bits, though. This problem will come back again later on.

It'll be okay. We'll be hauling in asteroids long before the cities start falling in.

Really shouldn't have gotten to this point. I see fracking a just a way to buy time and maintain stability for a few years in hopes fusion can be developed.

yea... but i dont live in the city... nor can i afford/want to

pic related is the real scale of fracking. OP pic is a lie.

None of the issues with fracking are absent from conventional oil and gas wells.

Also why not post a picture properly to scale rather than propaganda that shows the fractures dangerously close to ground water

You're a goddamn idiot. Most of our drilling is offshore anyway. Even then its so far down, nothing is even touched when it comes to drinking water.

>Most of our drilling is offshore anyway.
That's not even remotely true.

i just grabbed a pic off a quick image search
cool your autism jets anons.

Objecting to misinformation is not autism out of control.

DON'T

MISREPRESENT

FRACKING

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>but when this economic boom comes at the cost of contaminating/destroying a far more valuable resource (water) its not worth it.
This asserted point is totally misinformed, most likely reinforced by the shitty image you just picked up. There are so many lies told about fracking, and this is the biggest one.

Oil engineer here. You literally have nothing to worry about.

Fracking is a waste of time. We should be perfecting thorium salt reactors rather than relying on the petrojew.

Australia has some and it has causes (well believed to have caused) gas seeping through our agricultural lands
i'm not completely opposed to it but I think more research is required and if it fucks the land its not worth it

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1500167965041.webm

Nuclear and drilling are not mutually exclusive.

More public money is thrown down the solar and wind burn pit than in oil and gas extraction by a massive amount.

How much more research?
This technology is over 65 years old with decades of reporting done.

its true fracking has been around for a while but it has not been as widely used as it has been since the past few years. so with the increased number of active drilling sites the downsides of it become more apparent.

Peak slurp and crust sustainability are my focus at uni, AMA.

>Fracking gas and oil
>chemical leaching of uranium ore
Whats worse for subterranean drinking water?

This

sounds like you are studying sloppy joes

That picture is so misinformed it's hilarious.

The fracking procedure happens WELL below the water table depth. Know why? Because you don't typically find OIL in or near your aquifer.

This gives a better representation to what fracking truly is.

The issue of "water contamination" stems from the insultingly poor pipeline conditions oil companies are not enforced to maintain until it's too late. Canada doesn't have these water contamination problems because they pioneered the technology and their government enlists STRICT regulation on the industry to make sure it's protecting their precious natural resources as they are a resource economy.

Stop spreading bullshit lies, OP.

Over 2.5 million fracking operations have been completed.

How many more do you need before you can make an informed judgement?

It's actually the art of giving blowjobs to the homeless.

peel the crusty goodness back with your teeth and revel in that fermented gooey centre

>tight gas

you can drill my tight gas anytime frackboi

Fracking doesn't contaminate water, it's the pockets of gas that it potentially pushes up that contaminate water. And that rarely happens.

The real problem with fracking is it contributes to making earthquakes more sever if a region is expecting one.

Putting cracks in the bedrock so some rich share holders can get even richer, nah.

That liquid jobs ain't gonna drill itself. God gave us that oil, it's just plain fedora no to go get it. Climate change is a hoax, Trump said so.

That ain't oil that's making your water flammable. It's burning with the flame freedom.

The US is suffering a lot of earthquakes and plate pressure right now and a lot of fracking site has earthquakes occurring right beneath them.
Do you fucking want to wake up Yellowstone?

the drilling itself does not contaminate

but the poor handling of flowback can very well contaminate aquifers and watersheds. It may not happen on every site but with the massive expansion in fracking operations you can expect more failures in wastewater management. and the same goes for migrating gas... with more drill sites = more chances for migrating gas.

and i forgot to mention earthquakes earlier, thanks for bringing that up user.

agreed the last thing we should be doing is agitating fault lines.

less than 500 yards from frack site

I think the evidence is starting to pile up and there is a strong correlation.
We are playing with plate tectonics and we still don't even understand plate tectonics.

It pisses off libtards so I'm all for it.

literally what

> because they pioneered the technology

lol

What is a fault

t. Geologist