What are some historical examples of women fighting in wars?

What are some historical examples of women fighting in wars?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_ancient_warfare
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mai_Bhago
youtube.com/watch?v=ZrZoeTBvAcQ
youtube.com/watch?v=cndgoEd3fkk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Queen Boudica and the famous shield maidens are great examples of how women make equally capable warriors as men when put in the right situation.

Pretty sure the shield maiden are fictional.

Uhm, no? We've found graves of women bearing weapons.

Joan of Arc.

Amazonians.

Was literally a cheerleader.

>being protected by god

she was hacking, most women would be shit

If I recall she led an army of unarmored peasants that got slaughtered by the roman legions

what % of all warrior graves but ahy?

>inb4 answer

>Boudicca, who's army was slaughtered alsmost to a (wo)man by the superior Roman military despite being outnumbered more than 50 to 1
Really accelerates the almonds.

Boudica never fought, she rallied troops, much like Joan of Arc. She didn't even give commands during the battles. Also, shield maidens are fictitious.

Algerian historical leaders were woman (Kahina, Tin hinan, lala Fatma n'soumer) and soldiers were equally mens and womens because society was a matriarchy

>Uhm, no?

You seem like someone to take seriously.

Some modern scholars actually think that significant portions of viking armies were actually female. This is because even though they were shorter than viking males, viking females were generally much taller than men from central Europe or England. Thus, in the heat of combat, monks and other people who wrote down the stories mistook them for long-haired men.

Holy shit, this same argument?
>burial of significant people with household possessions was common in Iron Age Europe
You could have brought up Scythian huntresses, Kushite women, ona bushi, but you had to bring up the most widely disproven historical misconception, held by only the most ignorant. Fuck you and your shield Maidan fantasies, you revisionist turd.

>who's
>Boudicca
Aaaaah I need to kill myself, but seriously she was a joke. Led peasants to murder civilians but was a terrible leader. Thought she could use sticks to break Roman heavy infantry and constructed hazards to kill retreating troops.... only to get caught in the hazards and kill your retreating army. Was a meme, and Suetonius was a badass

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_ancient_warfare

well it makes sense, if the ice zombies win then they all die anyway

Picts
But then again, they got their shit pushed in by the all male army of Romans.

>.t british noble

> "It was a glorious victory, comparable with bygone triumphs. According to one report almost eighty thousand Britons fell. Our own casualties were about four hundred dead and a slightly larger number of wounded. Boudica poisoned herself “(Annals, Book XIV, 37).

Brienna Tarth.

The Scythians as I recall, their women are even the basis for the Amazons myth.

Also the Soviets used a fair amount of women in WWII.

Russian females in WW2

THIS THIS THIS THE WALKERS ARE COMING

women are physically %50 weaker than men so no they never really fought in wars

Sarmatian/scythian women were archers on horseback or something.

>revisionist history

Fucking tools to bring with them to the next life

There's more proof of that theory than there is that vikings wore their hair long.

There's Kurdish women currently fighting ISIS

When have the mixed male-female Karakal infantry battalion. It's essentially a PR stunt so for all their history they've just been deployed on the calmest stretch of the Egyptian-Israel border (a country we have a peace treaty with I'll remind you) and have never been deployed to a combat zone. But they did see combat once when a bunch of armed men tried to cross the border and started shooting at them. Long story short, one of the female soldiers went missing during the firefight, there was a massive scare that she had been kidnapped, a quarter of the fucking army was ordered to the scene to look for her, we were seriously considering deploying our forces into Egyptian territory unilaterally to look for her, and a few hours later they found her hiding behind some bushes immediately adjacent to the scene of the firefight, where it turns out she ran to hide once shooting started.

Yea, feminists calling for equality in the army ate shit from the whole country for months after that.

oh right that show started again didn't it.

haven't cared since they killed Stannis

Forgot to turn off my Meme flag

first thing that came to mind.
weren't there also women snipers in the russian army?

Legio XIIII G.M.V for the win

I believe I heard somewhere that sometimes if samurai dishonored their lord, their wives would continue their service in their honor.

Can't confirm though..

>A 10 year old girl can contribute to our war effort by picking up a spear and fighting the zombies
>homefront? war economy? Fuck that I'm Jon Snow the biggest retard in the show and I demand we get some more of that god damn dragon glass

Boudicca failed as a leader and men did the fighting.

Joan of Arc failed as a leader and men did the fighting.

About all women can do is archery but they cant get the range male archers can so their archery is only useful defensively.

>long-haired men.
With massive fucking beards?

Get rid of your conscription or make it so that only men have to oblige. If anything, make women have mandatory field hospital service.

>He thinks every viking had a beard

Well, go to see you know absolutely nothing on the topic.

I bet you think they had horned helmets.

They obviously tied their hair on their faces for warmth and were thus confused for being men.

Uh wow are you assuming the genders of all those viking warriors? Maybe he's pointing out that not all of them identified as men

Sikhs have an early history of female warriors. many of them have proven themselve in battle and equality is a sacred tenent of our religious

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mai_Bhago

Joan of Arc literally gave commands to La Hire and de Xantrailles before the decisive victory at Patay the French achieved over England, but her clout was more from abject desperation on the part of the French state and military elite, than her own attributes. Regardless, Joan is an outstanding historical figure and what happened because of her is almost too remarkable for words, but she's about as isolated a case you can get, a lucky combination of military desperation and religious feverishness at just the right moment to change history. As with Boudicca, her success was more due to the intense feeling she aroused in her followers, feelings already there but in need of a catalyst, than her own capability. I would consider Joan and La Hire and being entirely and equally responsible for Patay and the relief of Orleans, she inspired in the French aggression that they'd never have expressed without her, and La Hire's own bravery and competence gave the actual military aspect the professional and aggressive frontline leadership it needed to catch the English entirely flat footed. She is regardless easily the most fascinating and decisive woman is history.

During the Battle of Stalingrad there were women snipers. This wasn't typical, but due to the Soviet's desperation to lot lose the city named after Stalin to the Nazi's, every person who was capable to fight had to.

That's metal gear

Think of the circumstances of their situation however.

>MASSIVE army of the dead
>The North has suffered crippling loses to their military might
>Winter is here and fighting wars in DECADES LONG winters would suck

Also, the way OP's pic puts it is just putting words in the writer's mouth. He said it doesn't make sense to fight with only half of their population, especially in a war for the survival of all mankind, and he's kind of right.

There are lots of spots in history that women fought but it never seemed a first option and always questionable how effective they really were.

While a normal woman isn't as strong as a normal men, a woman who spends a lot of time fighting is probably a better fighter than many male part-time fighters, as it is more than just about strength. Give her better armor and weapons and she'll probably do ok.

Also war isn't about 1-on-1 fights. Have a few girls with spears supporting your shield wall is probably handy.

Also there are lots of handy jobs for girls in war in the logistics areas, caring for pack animals, wagons, feeding men and horses and first aid stuff.

This is generally not a first option though, as an user pointed out in a few threads ago, 1 woman dying on the battlefield isn't as useful to the country/tribe as the several sons she could contribute. Women are best put to work in war in desperate times or maybe nomad tribes.

That said there have been a few stand out women leaders in military history, and little reason they couldn't do this role well. How effective they are is hard to argue as it's difficult to say a man in the same position would fare better.

And even with the massive losses in men the Russians never made female frontline soldiers anything close to a normality. The benefits of men in combat situations over women were apparent even as Soviet military losses soared over 10 million.

>Uhm, no
sweetie.

I forgo the image. I read into it, looks like they were actually quite common

Except they're in the all-female meme battalion. The only reason they don't get their shit pushed in is because they're fighting goatfucking savages. If they were to face a half decent all-male military, they'd be outclassed.

When times are desperate, however, arming women with guns is a great way to significantly increase firepower.

Ignore EU shill retards....

>I can see your vagina

Not common at all, it's almost entirely PR. For every woman sniper team in obviously staged photos like that, the Russians would have hundreds of anonymous male marksmen. The regularity of Frontline women in WW2 Russia is a meme.

>He says, with absolutely no evidence.

>Tacitus also wrote of Suetonius addressing his legionaries:"Ignore the racket made by these savages. There are more women than men in their ranks. They are not soldiers—they're not even properly equipped. We've beaten them before and when they see our weapons and feel our spirit, they'll crack. Stick together. Throw the javelins, then push forward: knock them down with your shields and finish them off with your swords. Forget about plunder. Just win and you'll have everything."

>meme
someone hasn't seen the new COD WW2 trailers

I just learned today that Wonder Woman fought in WWI.

Women were max 3% of the Soviet armed forces in WW2, at a time when literally over 10 million Russian mem had died in combat, and the vast majority we're in non combat roles. It's not difficult to wrap head around. Don't talk about things you literally have no clue about faggot.

Well, there was that one time. Oh, and then, there was the second time, too, there were both of those women who fought in wars. And let's not forget about the woman who posed for the poster flexing her tiny, weak arm! She made women believe they could do boy jobs! Then she quit her boy job after 2 weeks because it was too hard!

Nigga back when success in combat was decided by the muscle power of man and horse, if you had the choice, you'd literally never want to have women in combat. The Romans we're shocked (because of it's uniqueness) when the Teuton women fought back as the Romans entered their camp after butchering their men, because even in migrant German tribes, women fighting were rare, because the women and children were literally the future of the tribe. And otherwise beyond ambiguity with the Vikings, women in combat is an absolute historical rarity.

Also pretty decent amount of female pilots.

I'd like to see a woman try to draw a 100lb bow, tbqh

The women were in the rabbke and circled around the battlefield in wagons to watch their husbands in victory. This later caused the men to be pinned down without an area to escape, causing their impending slaughter. Women did not fight in the battle, but they were sold into slavery shortly after.

This is where I'll disagree. Joan absolutely didn't fail as a leader, if only because she was so fanatical she'd never for a moment doing her success. And her success were colossal and unprecedented, and many of them she had a direct and decisive hand in through her own bravery and initiative, and the bravery and initiative she inspired in the men who followed her.

You write like frenchman

Don't forget viscous rape and mutilation at the hands of Roman soldiers. German migrant tribes of the German Wars of Marius did the same thing, it appears to have been to inspire the men to fight to win or die trying, as their whole race was visibly put on the line in the event they failed. And when they did, these peoples tended to disappear.

women fought when they had to, however no sane historical society would use women to wage war.

>appears to have been to inspire the men to fight to win or die trying
This exactly. It was a shaming tactic, as well as inspiration in the sense of urgency. You are likely to fight harder if your wife is behind you screaming as you fend off potential rapists. Too bad Marius was one of the best generals Rome ever had. The Cimbri were badass, though.

Oh, do you want to present some facts that disagree? Before Patay, the French knight and nobles were stricken with fear at facing the same kind of English army that crushed them at Agincourt and Crecy. When they asked her what they should do, she told them to immediately attack, which they did with aggression the English would have never anticipated, resulting in a lopsided battle where 1,500 French mounted knights slaughtered thousands of longbowmen as they were in the midst of deploying, the same kind of longbowmen who'd trashed mounted knights again and again. And it would have never happened without her.

Boudicca and her daughters got raped by an entire legion, and her entire army got crushed by that same legion.

>that 10/10 face, soft hazel eyes and unscarred face
>probably at least an inshape body at worst, cheese grater abs at best
fuck she'd be a perfect tier brown waifu

Rambo crushing the Viet kong

When you have total war pretty much everyone is fighting. Yeah, it's men who die on the front lines, but it's women who assemble the cartridges for them to shoot and be shot with.

>tfw no hacking gf
It's not fair, I wish I was a noble. All I have is video games.

Soviet Union vs. Germany
Basically out of desperation.
The jewish officers did not wan to fight on the front lines themselves and made sure to use all of Russia's resources
Explains part of the kill ratio

>tfw you will never be a medieval European noble, wearing custom armour and weapons made by experts for the top 1% of society, and using costly horses of immense size and aggression, bred for war, thus making you basically unkillable to literally everyone poorer than you.

While the idea of warrior women is retarded, in that show I thought the idea was justified because they're literally facing a violent extinction, and not by people but by inhuman monsters.

dumb burger here

who was that frenchie girl who fought for france and was killed for being a wizard? Wasn't she some important warrior?

See
You're ignorance is a fucking disgrace to this country btw.

Yeah, that's her! would bang outta 10 shame she got burned up

Jeanne D'Arc

There's bravery, then there's REAL bravery!

>Sniper and spotter down behind cover
>photographer sitting above trench

totes not propaganda to keep the men fighting. "If you retreat, lovely Katyusha will have to fight and die in your place!"

youtube.com/watch?v=ZrZoeTBvAcQ

There may have been individual female warriors in history, but no nation has ever fielded female troops en masse.
I mean, look at the 3rd reich. Even as it was crumbling and the Red army was bearing down (got it?) on Berlin, and they were making Volksturm guns, it was still men (old frail men and boys) who were fighting.

Boudicca never fought, her army was composed of men, and any villages she did capture she ordered that all the women be fucking mutilated.

Some sisterhood, faggot.

Milunka Savich was so ugly that she managed to make the entire Serbian army believe she is a guy. She fought and got a shit load of medals too apparently.

The Russians had women in combat roles during world war 2. They proved to be effective as snipers and pilots.

>He's never seen Life of Brian

I unironically think that the posts like OP are made by roasties that, even when facing total collapse and death, would still stick to "muh vagina, protect me!".

I come from a millitary family and environment.
Any bloke i have spoke to about this subject who has served in combat said that women shouldn't be there end of story. I take their word for it.

IIRC USSR was the only army who employed women.

Though there is one retard at Sup Forums who tries to mental gymnast it into "muh soviet propaganda".

Faggot went from "there was 0 womyn in army" to "The womyn that were there don't count".
I swear to god, I could smell the cheeto breath while he tried to wiggle his ass like a Las Vegas whore.

Though he cemented my belief that there is no point in discussion or argumentation. The old good kick in the head is just cheaper, more foolproof, and more exciting.

>When times are desperate,

That's kinda the whole point.
Soviets started mobilization of women only in the middle of 1942, IIRC.

It's "Brienne of Tarth" read a book nigga.

588th Night Bomber Regiment, or "Night Witches" as they were known.

The Great War channel just made an episode of russian women's death battallion in WWI.

youtube.com/watch?v=cndgoEd3fkk

>It was the most highly decorated all-women unit in the Soviet Air Force, each pilot having flown over 800 missions by the end of the war and twenty-three having been awarded the Hero of the Soviet Union title.

of course Jon had to employ women in his army, not because of muh feminism (maybe a bit, its GRRM after all) but because he needs everyone to fight the zombies. Else they all die.

Also, women can handle bows and pikes, those don't require as much strength as a longsword and a set of armor, and those are the weapons he meant to teach them.

Also we're talking about farmers, so those bitches may as well be stronger than some of you insecure fatasses.