Should America switch to metric?

Should America switch to metric?

Yeah.
t. Engineer

Hell no, everybody else needs to switch to imperial. You kidding me?

We use both

No. Resist globalist culture.

I think we should use yards more commony at least. I hate seeing something like "1500 feet." I'd rather see "500 yards" instead.

America uses metric everywhere it's relevant. Plebs will never change their ways of thinking about units, not even in Europe (we still use °C, kcal, horsepower, knots and mmHg/Torr/bar).

No.

>slowly
Tried a while back
Dumb nurses were killing patients with dossage

Engineering / chem / physics taught in both sets of units.
Manufacturing machines would be affected, but no much industry remain here :,(

'we' who? Drop that nu-flag you sack of shit and write that again.

we really need to get away from the month-day-year shit, it's fucking idiotic

Yes, it is a fucking nightmare

especially when you screw up calculations and miss some alcohol out of your still because you mixed up liters and gallons

Yes.
t.mechanic
We already are forced to use the Metric system purely because everyone else does.
Having to keep two sets of tool sizes is stupid.
Having two sets of bolt and hardware sizing is stupid.

Of course.

Because we have 10 fingers is a great reason to measure things.

But I can't stay in this thread. I need to bake a cake. And to do so I need to relate the amount of water used to distance. For reasons.

Then I will bake it for 45 minutes, because we measure time with metric.

Then cut each piece at a 45 degree angle because we measure angles in metric all the time.

Then I need to deliver it to a particular set of GPS coordinates, because that is metric too.

Man, metric sure is useful and used everywhere.

No, the whole point of using the imperial system is because we know you are annoyed by it.

obviously yes
/thread

I'm a mechanic and I've almost NEVER touched an imperial tool in my life. Yeah I own a couple imperial wrenches but when I look at a bolt I have no idea whether it's a 5/8 or 15/16, etc. I just see 10mm. 13mm. The only imperial that I ever have to know is the ratchet sizes 1/2 5/8 1/4.

>not even using the correct side of the road

Yes please, that way I can stop explaining to customers how to mix 2 cycle oil in fucking ounces and gallons.

Every old fucker comes in and asks how much horsepower the lawn mowers have
None. Horsepower is a shitty unit of measurement for how good a lawn mower engine will be, it's measured in either ccs or torque (still in fucking foot pounds though).
>how many foot pounds in a horse power?
How many bananas in an apple?

Hell most normies can't even figure out what the fuck 50:1 means

Base 10 was a mistake. You can't divide by 3 or 4 and dividing by 2 gives you a prime number.

>muh kwh

>Measuring power by displacement

A 500cc Honda and a 500cc Suzuki aren't going to make the same power.

Average American uses imperial.
Those with higher education, typically engineers, use metric.

Metric is for fags that can't do sums. Ask any British maths teacher what's happened to children's mental arithmetic skills over the last forty years.

Yes.
More scientific.

>Dumb nurses were killing patients with dossage
What are you talking about? Medicine doses are in milligrams and cubic cm.

I know.

Base 12 is the best base for measurement. Like we use for time, and angles and common imperial measurements.

10 is a mathematically uninteresting number and a poor choice for number base for people who can count higher than 10 without using their fingers.

I think we should use the metric system for measurement, sure. But I 100% unironically think we should use Fahrenheit for temperatures in areas we inhabit though. It's more relative to the habitable temperature range humans inhabit. Obviously use Celsius for the important things.

Your the type of asshole that rounds off bolt heads.

All cars made in America since the 1980's have been all metric. However standards for the building trades (plumbing, carpentry) are all imperial and that's not going to change. Most cars will last for 10 years, 20 tops, while buildings will be around for 50-100 years. That's why it's not going to change.

Fellow dozenalist on Sup Forums?

I don't work on cars.
But admittedly heavy equipment is switching over too.

The SI unit for temperature is K, though. °C is just convenient for it's relation to the boiling/melting point of water (under conditons).

You'll still need two sets because Euro-car manufacturers buy whatever bulk orders of nuts and bolts they can get from China and China is churning out more AMStandard and Imperial sized shit than ever before.

Yes

>kwh
do you mean kWh?

Well obviously not, which is why the shitty brands all only mention displacement so they can compete with the more expensive brands

Yeah man the Kohler engine is 163cc so it's better than the 140cc Honda

good luck counting in base 12. Base 2 and base 10 are the only ones worth shit because one is useful in all logic operations and the other is tied to our hands.

Are you fucking broke in the head m8?

>hurr durr you can divide by 4 and 3
why not use base 3628800, because that can be divided by 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10.

We have fractions for a reason 10 divided by 3 is 10/3

nah but the next person who asks me to spool their line is going to be. Imagine being so fucking useless you can't wind line on a spool

In 1982 Canadian textbooks started to be written using metric letters. This is the result.

Human scale numbers with interesting mathematical properties making them well suited as a number base.

Or you downs syndrome "hurrrr I hev twen fwingors".

Math is not for you tardo.

all the gas engine measuring standards are imported from the states.

>Math is not for you tardo.
Let me guess, you watch numberphile and think that makes you hot shit. Come back when you've survived calc 3.

>Base 2 and base 10 are the only ones worth shit because one is useful in all logic operations

Ugh, a wanna be amateur computer scientist.

Computers use base 2 because the circuit design leads to greater efficiency.

Boolean algebra does not require base 2.

Imperial has more practical units for everyday living. They've all got origins in practical, real-world sizes and shapes.

Metric is easy to notate and has ties to very specific measurements of scientific interest.

So we use Imperial in every day life, speaking in inches, feet, miles, gallons, and fahrenheit, etc.

And we use metric in engineering and medicine.

This clearly makes the most sense. It's not like we're so dumb we have to have everything standardized so it's easy to convert all the time, and it's not like we need to translate "it feels like 70 degrees outside I think I'll walk the mile to the store for a half gallon of milk and some cookies" into "it feels like 21 Celsius outside I think I'll walk 1.6 km to the store for 1.9 liters of milk and some cookies" for clarity.

>Come back when you've survived calc 3.

The fuck is a child doing on /pol

>Boolean algebra does not require base 2.
I don't know how to reply to this.

let me know how that 300k starting is treating you

For weighing food and drink? Yes

For measuring height and peoples weight? No

Do it like the UK does and use a bit of both

>I don't know how to reply to this.

Because you are bad at math.

Once you accept that you can stop looking like such a pathetic retard.

>come back when youve survived calc 3
nigger I am a shithead undergrad loser with no degree and a bunch of debt but I got an A in calc 3 three years ago, fuck that. Calculus is easy, college and life is hard

Jk was supposed to be thread themed. Soz if it was shit m8.
There's no difference between watts and bHP. The unit is arbitrary and in the exciting world of lawnmower sales I can't imagine using one over the other would be important.
What torque are you measuring there buddy? Are all your mowers direct drive or do some have gearing?
Torque of electric mowers? They don't measure torque from leccy motors. They just write MOAR POWAH! on the box and hope no one does the maths.

I seriously hope you don't actually do this

I actually keep a little conversion chart in my box for when I need a wrench between two metric sizes. I rarely use it.

Almost all my ammunition is metric, so I've already made the switch, I guess. Some .30 is probably the only imperial I have.

In everyday language we'd say, feels like 20 degrees outside, I'll walk 1,5 kilometers to the store to buy 2 liters of milk.
There's no fucking reason why metric can't be used in everyday language.
I have no idea what a gallon is, but I can visualise a liter being a square decimeter or a meter being a step.

>In mathematics and mathematical logic, Boolean algebra is the branch of algebra in which the values of the variables are the truth values true and false, usually denoted 1 and 0 respectively.
Gee gollygosh

If you say so

>he unit is arbitrary and in the exciting world of lawnmower sales I can't imagine using one over the other would be important.
>watt
>arbitrary
The only arbitrary part is the second, and there's no good time unit unless you want to add some zeroes to the rate of an atomic clock.

>What torque are you measuring there buddy? Are all your mowers direct drive or do some have gearing?
we don't sell riding mowers in Canada so they're all generally direct drive. Dunno about the self propelled ones. They've got some weird sliding grips that I've never bothered to read up on.

>Torque of electric mowers? They don't measure torque from leccy motors. They just write MOAR POWAH! on the box and hope no one does the maths.
Yeah the electric ones are dumb as fuck. Legit quote from my training
>power for corded lawn mowers is measured in amps, power for cordless lawn mowers is measured in volts.
Yeah man, nothing wrong with that logic at all.

>or a meter being a step.
I wish I weren't a manlet so I could have a meter length stride.

Unironically yes. Burger units just makes us look stupid to the rest of the world.

Hey tardo. Guess which number bases have a concept analogous to 0 an 1? All of them.

I but you would feel really stupid right now if you were smart enough to understand that incredibly simple explanation.

>he's a 2 meterer
no

A very defined step.

Fuck no, screw the Europoors and their shitty metric system.
Traitorous piece of shit.
USA USA USA

Is this real now?

12 months > 31 days < 20XX years
31 days < 12 months < 20XX years

>12 is greater than 31

Is this also part of the metric system?

I could finally claim double digits penor.

I don't have a degree in teaching special ed so I can't communicate to you in a way you will understand so you can kno how wrong you are.

And you are very wrong.

>Fuck no, screw the Europoors and their shitty metric system.
You know all your scientist use metric.

kek

>Should America switch to metric?

No

Even though it probably makes sense to, it's humorous seeing how buttblasted Europeans get about us using imperial.

If I say my penis is 8 centimeters it sounds bigger.

Metric is already used in science. Most Americans know both.
Personally I love imperial just because Euros need to be told to fuck off every now and then.

Not the current metric system. The entire world should adopt some type of metric system based off natural units, not a slab of metal in France.

nah who cares

>Fahrenheit
>It's more relative to the habitable temperature range humans inhabit
That's literally what celsius was invented for. Fahrenheit is a mistake.
In most serious calculations scientists use Kelvin. Celsius should be the measurement system of the plebs.

Why is that a good thing in serious international corportations and transactions?

So adopt every metric unit that isn't weight.

1 month is 28-31 days

12months = 12(30)
12(30) > 31

Why are burgers so retarded?

Celsius is from the boiling and freezing point of water.
Fahrenheit has finer gradients that are more relative to the human body.

I hope pic related is a joke, but sometimes I don't know with americans.

celsius is dogshit.

Fahrenheit is easy; 0 = fucking cold, 100 = fucking hot

>Fahrenheit has finer gradients
barely. not that it matters because when you actually need finer gradients than celsius, fahrenheit isn't precise enough either.

>that are more relative to the human body
so what? never missed by anyone and no practical benefit whatsoever. absolute non-argument.

For things like setting room temperature.
Even if you break Celsius down to .5 gradients (as most metric thermostats are) it isn't as precise as a Fahrenheit thermostat if you want a "intermittent" setting.

'Fucking' shouldn't be a part of any scientific discussion. That's exactly why it sucks.

neither should hungary

Basis of Fahrenheit is:

>Ice, water salt bath=0 because it's britty gold
>Body temperature=96 bguz lolz

No, not a dog shit scale at all.

layman's don't care dude, that's what you faggot euros don't understand

no one cares that 1cm^3 of water takes 1 calorie to move 1 centigrade or whatever the fuck
normal people don't do any of that shit everyday.

scientists are will, and already do, use whatevery scientists use, layman instruments are irrelevant.

but imperial is 100% fine for laymen

20xx>12>28-31>00hrs
because fuck i want to archive easy damn it

Nope i have a picture memory fuck your jew numbers.

What kind of shitty field are you in where you don't already know and regularly use both?

Aerospace engineers are honestly a massive embarrassment to the rest of us.

Imperial system is based off parts of the body. one inch based off the average thumb length. one foot based off the average foot length etc etc. have fun figuring out how long a meter is when/if SHTF

>Average foot length

This is not even close to being true.

>t. Engineer
>not physicist
You are a waste of space.

Spbp

For god sakes yes !

All I know is that a meter is close to a yard

>Retarded Nazi

You'd have volunteered to be first aboard the train.

12 months = 1 year
31 days = 1 month (in most cases)
Year > month

Meters is based on the distance between the equator and the north pole.
And I believe a new definition of kilogram is something like "the weight of X silicon atoms"

We should all adopt Planck units.

In all seriousness, though, there are no valid arguments for imperial, besides the costs that would be involved if Americans were to switch. All the arguments about units being more intuitive (like feet vs meters) are invalid, because it's just a matter of getting used to them. For example, if you tell me that something is 100 feet away from me, I'll have to convert it to meters to actually understand how far away it is. And don't even try to justify the nautical/land miles retardation.

No.
t. Chef