Solar Power To Threaten Conventional Power By 2020

>Researchers project that solar power will become cheaper than conventional, fossil fueled electric generating sources by 2020. (The researchers do not say that directly, but their numbers do.) But the news gets even worse for incumbent utilities. By 2030, solar-plus-storage could threaten the economic relevance of their distribution grids by making less necessary the connection with the local electric utility.
Are we approaching an era of peace or collapse of the dollar because of no more petrodollar?

Other urls found in this thread:

dothemath.ucsd.edu/2011/08/nation-sized-battery/
environmentalprogress.org/big-news/2017/6/21/are-we-headed-for-a-solar-waste-crisis
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Living off the grid effectively here we come

Petrodollar isn't going anywhere, at least not due to solar energy. Very little oil is burned for the sake of electricity generation.

On Monday I had a whole-house solar system installed in my house. My electric bill runs on average 250 dollars per month. The solar system is finance over 20 years at 133 dollars per month.

For me, solar is already half of what conventional electric is.

There aren't enough rare earth minerals to let it happen.

> Very little oil is burned for the sake of electricity generation.
elec car nigger

Does anyone actually believe any of this bullshit? Saudi Arabia has so much oil, they could make money selling it at $7 a barrel.
saging because slide thread.

You have to work out a lot of logistic issues for electric cars to be viable. You would need some kind of simple battery swapping system to compensate for the distance limits of electric to not factor in. On a long road trip, I can sit around waiting for my car to charge, or I can take literally 2 minutes tops filling my gas tank. Which is more appealing?

Also not like the trucks that carry shit across the country are going to go to electric overnight.

Electric vehicles are going to destroy the petro dollar within the next decade or two.

And autonomous vehicles are going to destroy the middle class soon after. Which would be fixed with basic income except there are way too many immigrants now to make that feasible.

>2020
Fake news

Are you trying to tell us something with that pic. buy silver? If the jew is buying silver i'm in

>petrodollar

There's no such thing. You should know better.

t. Econ grad student

How will autonomous vehicles destroy the middle class?

2020? Solar power could be already feeding the world's energy along with capable graphene storage. Why doesn't it happens? Subjugated states under the financial power (the actual one is made up of debt, belicism and oil industry since the industrial revolution and the "nwo" stablishment which is old and decrepit by now) put taxes on those which want to install solar panels, freezes the development of alternative energies and mass production of batteries and fully electrical vehicles. I hope it collapses.

Investment on silver/gold is one of the safest one since ever. Nothing new.

>what is capacity factor
>what is ecological footprint
>what is efficient degenenation

Nuclear energy is only solution to clean and safety future

The problem here is that electric cars will still be sodding expensive, and we'll still be finding more oil than ever before; there's no point

>Researchers project that solar power will become cheaper than conventional, fossil fueled electric generating sources by 2020

Is this with or without the massive govt. subsidies that make solar energy affordable to the consumer?

Subsidized energy isn't affordable energy since you pay for the subsidies through taxes or through the unsustainable growth of the national debt.

so what am I gonna do at night?

what about if there is an catastrophic atmospheric event?

I have a hard on for effective freedom from the grid. But its time for honest pessimism.

SOLAR POWER WORLD POWER BY 2020.

Any country investing into nuclear and fusion will dominate this planet.

The real price of expanding solar is always higher. Excess energy will damage the grid and energy storage at the moment is extremely expensive. Probably the only viable large scale solution is generating hydrogen, methane or other chemicals to be burned or reacted later.

Electric vehicles are going to do it starting with trucks. I work in construction waste recycling and we have moved all of our giant fucking grinders and picking stations off of diesel onto electric like 10 years ago. Electric bill is like 5k a month but better then the fuel bill was.

We need to get off fossil fuels just so we can stop sucking Saudi dick.

>researchers
>projecting
>arbitrary date

yawn

If we're told the market wins in the end, may the best man win in that case.

Man 2020 is going to be a big year:
>India superpower
>solar better than fosile fuels
>end of the world because Drumpf left the Paris deal

I've been hearing solar will be economical n 3 years for 30 years now, also oil ran out in 2000, we were all underwater in 2005 etc

You could do community systems probably really efficiently. One solar tower like thing for your town.

Pretty much. Most households don't have garages to install that charging crap, and probably also have a need for multiple cars. Some kind of mass uber autonomous electric microleasing shit won't work either because people smoke, have pets, have kids, or are generally gross.

They can pump shale and make a profit for $13 a barrel. Crude is far cheaper. Oil prices include massive amounts of profits, all solar is going to do is start eating profits from the Sheiks and Tillersons of the world.

This.

Also oil not being used for energy means more of it's free for being used in other industries like manufacturing. This really just fucks over places like the middle east, which is why OPEC's been so willing to shorten supply.

No, no were not.
Solar power is no where near efficient enough to match oil.

The fact is, many oil companies fund research in to solar power to make the discoveries before anyone else. They claim the patents and shelve them. They have been doing it for years, the electric car is just one example.

Autonomous cars would destroy about 5 million American jobs. Most of which are all lower middle class to upper middle class jobs. Those 5 million people will then be pushed into the already bleak job market lowering the value of labor which has already been destroyed with globalism / overseas slave labor and illegal immigrant slave labor currently in the US.

This generation will be the last prosperous generation. We'll live out a portion of the American dream on our dead boomer parent's wealth.

Gen Z is fucked and they know it. That's why it's such a conservative generation.

Elon musk was talking about this the other day, claims how the entire united states could be run on solar somewhere out in nevada and that the batteries required to save that energy is 1x1 mile.

The writings on the wall, yet we import even more unskilled labor when screw turning jobs are fucking off.

That is all because of subsidies. If you do the math on the cost of the panels, installation and other equipment they make very little before paying the administrative staff without subsidies. Actually they can't make profit without them.
Here is what is going on.
Company A get started by a guy.
He runs the company on loans and subsidies and pays himself a very good salary. He puts out financial statements that depend on a bunch of stuff to go perfect like electric rates, subsidies, low inflation etc. this allows him to keep getting loans to pay for capital costs and labor to install systems. Because the panels are leased they look good on paper (i.e. Still technically an asset).
They will then go through the cycle of getting a loan to install more panels, take a portion for their great salary, show numbers that look like they could work if everything goes right, get another loan repeat until it all comes down.
Why would the boss do this? You can keep this going for 10-15 years you enable yourself a nice 200k a year or more salary, fuck it you did good.
Also that warm feeling of doing right by Mother Nature.

Tl;dr;
It is cheap because it is a Ponzi scheme dependent on new loans, subsidies, and nothing going wrong with numbers.
I also have one of these systems installed.

>By 2030, solar-plus-storage could threaten the economic relevance of their distribution grids by making less necessary the connection with the local electric utility.
Cool. No more electric power after daylight in 2030.

No it won't
Solar power causes even more waste we can't get rid of than nuclear
It's not going anywhere

>and that the batteries required to save that energy is 1x1 mile.
dothemath.ucsd.edu/2011/08/nation-sized-battery/

>what are transmission losses
They don't even have all the slots for generators in the Hoover Dam filled in last I took a visit.

Elon Musk should fund another generator for the Hoover Dam. And then we can place bets on if the lines are going to go down the same path as the 50 other ancient lines or if he'll route it somewhere clever.

Or you know, drill for our own oil, which we have more of than Saudi Arabia, we just handicap ourselves to "protect the environment" while still using the same amount of gas, it just has benne shipped across the world first

You will still need the grid to balance the production and consumption.

>>India superpower
>>end of the world because Drumpf left the Paris deal
How did pajeet know that we will be dead in 2020 thus making poos and roaches the only civilizations left thus making them official "super powers"

>Elon musk was talking about this the other day, claims how the entire united states could be run on solar somewhere out in nevada and that the batteries required to save that energy is 1x1 mile.
Wow you believe a con man whose entire business platform is to use tax payer money to hire actual scientists to try and do these crazy projects, and then fail, and come up with a new one before he can get called out as a failure.
I really trust your judgement

Think beyond vehicles my hebrew friend... many things require oil that cannot be fabricated or manufactured from solar energy... many of the things you rely on every day of your life.

Get rid of every oil powered car on the road... the demand and requirement for oil has gone precisely nowhere.

He didn't fail with the rocket landing, faggot. Why is this so impossible?

"petrodollar" is important for military.

We arent going to run tanks on electricty or jets or copters or anything thats going to be in the field. Aslong as military still needs oil we will keep our stranglehold on it.

siding with the leaf here...pretty sure driverless trucks are gonna wreck one of the most popular jobs in all 50 states

Let's see him make a profit for more than a year, and stop relying on the tax payer to operate

We should just pass a regulation that tanks must run on at least 10% ethanol.

And then sell the strategic oil reserves to prevent a bank collapse.

Oh, look. You're about to be saved by the market, just as soon as the economics worked out. Where's my fucking gratitude, plebs?

If China is subsidizing solar panels that much, the USA should buy all we can and set up solar farms. This would benefit the US economy. It would save business and tax payers money.

You're not thinking like a Jew. We should sell them to other countries that we want to lend money to so that we can get our money back while dumping China's product and collapsing their infrastructure so keep them subservient.

if (((they))) really believed that was true they wouldnt still fight over syria and the gas line or boycott russia

>go on reddit to see what the liberals are mad about today
>see this shit
>laugh

Why are you such a stupid fuck, OP? Photovoltaics are a nearly worthless invention.

environmentalprogress.org/big-news/2017/6/21/are-we-headed-for-a-solar-waste-crisis

It creates a shitload of pollution for every panel you make, they don't last more than 15 years or so, they cannot be efficiently recycled, and you cannot power a town without also needing extremely large batteries that are also extremely inefficient.

Science Fiction isn't real, bucko. Sort yourself.

>nuclear power is

Too expensive. Give me a cost projection for supplanting the 18 terawatts provided by fossil fuels.

>all solar power systems are inefficient shitty panels that need assloads of rems
whatever you think, oilnig

oil will always be needed to make plastics and chemicals, user.

Go ahead. Point to the god of the gaps.

We're waiting.

OF COURSE IT'S INEFFICIENT YOU STUPID FUCK IT'S CONVERTING ENERGY MULTIPLE TIMES EACH WITH A SIGNIFICANT AND UNAVOIDABLE LOSS.

Do you know anything of how energy works outside of dragonball?

>Solar power to become cheaper than conventional power
Only if we keep giving them free money.

>Electric vehicles
won't be a thing for the foreseeable future, because we are limping behind in battery technologies. Badly. It's the same and pretty much only reason why we don't shoot each other with lasers yet, too.

Limping behind? No, we've hit the fundamental physical laws of the universe. That's a pretty neat accomplishment.

Gasoline is 14,000 times more energy dense than the best batteries. It's foolish to think we can make up a 14,000 fold difference.

N U C L E A R

Problem is that the materials to make the panels aren't renewable and must be mined from the earth.

Yeah? They better hurry the fuck you're looking at three years less if this wasn't a slide threat for what exactly.

Y O U ' V E
N O T
E N O U G H
M I N E R A L S

Glorious, praise the Sun.

Impossible. Meanwhile what are you going to do when it's night? There's a reason why solar powered flashlights are a fucking joke.