Could we turn the desert Green?

Deserts (the hot and sandy kind) aren't inherently deserts cus of their position on the planet (like the poles). What do we need to make them green and why hasn't it been done?

Other urls found in this thread:

africa.quora.com/The-Man-Who-Stopped-the-Desert
youtube.com/watch?v=COGWWYfjZSI
youtube.com/watch?v=vpTHi7O66pI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-North_Shelter_Forest_Program
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Green_Wall
youtube.com/watch?v=2xcZS7arcgk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_greening
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sahara_Sea
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qattara_Depression_Project
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groasis_Waterboxx
youtube.com/watch?v=ycLbO02lb7w
sare.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire-stick_farming
theconversation.com/how-aboriginal-burning-changed-australias-climate-4454
books.google.de/books?id=FijiCgAAQBAJ&pg=PA7&lpg=PA7&dq=australien rainforest burned&source=bl&ots=xL1dt-qSMs&sig=_S_keG8fQV01hwiDJCSUIydA3Ak&hl=de&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiPl5fzhKDVAhWpJsAKHdAnBXYQ6AEIggEwDQ#v=onepage&q=australien rainforest burned&f=false
archive.4plebs.org/_/search/subject/knowledge bomb/username/anonymous5/tripcode/!!9O2tecpDHQ6/]
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I always thought the issue was salt content of the soils left. Aral sea issue. Water flowing in to maintain groundwater levels but need some flowing out so salt doesn't accumulate. Also plants with an immunity to high alkaline content.

You could desalinate and pump (costly) but if the groundwater levels aren't high, or default to brackish it won't work.

I've often thought about how to turn major desert areas into farmland for future good expansion but the plethora of issues overwhelm me. Terra forming here would be an interesting field of science, and an application for Mars or Venus if we perfected the process and the science would be neat.

There are mountains in your picture but they are totally bare.

Fresh water falls as rain or collects on mountains over the winter months as snow then melts.

If that place could be a green fertile land then it already would be.

If you can change the weather then that's a different story. . .

We do it some places. It's called irrigation.

When the Yellow man finds an oasis in the desert, he maintains it.
When the Black man encounters an oasis, he turns it into a desert.
When a White man finds a desert, he turns it into an oasis.

>Could we turn the desert Green?
africa.quora.com/The-Man-Who-Stopped-the-Desert

Wikipedia says the government took that land from him because it turned green. If he wants it back he will have to buy it for 100k because the land which was dead and worthless 30 years ago is now worth at least that much.

>If that place could be a green fertile land then it already would be.
Not entirely true anonkun
When people noticed deserts growing, they hypothesized that it was caused by animal migration destroying vegetation (crushing/eating) so they killed off a shit ton of elephants et al. and now that the desertification has accelerated they realized the animal poop was fertilizing vegetation and spreading seed... Think it happened in Africa specifically.
Not saying everywhere can be returned to grassland, but some areas certainly can be altered with enough animal poop.

youtube.com/watch?v=COGWWYfjZSI

Do the opposite of what jews say. Warm the globe, melt the ice caps. That extra moisture will green the deserts. Not to mention all the land that will be made livable in Russia and Canada.

Send some refugees there.

It has been done, it's called California.

Huge mistake. Sad!

fertilizer, ofcourse. human fertilizer.
if you want the deserts to go green, enrich the soil with muslim graves.
With the current demographics, six corpses every 1 square meter should work miracles

>Deserts (the hot and sandy kind) aren't inherently deserts cus of their position on the planet (like the poles). What do we need to make them green and why hasn't it been done?
That's wrong though. It's all about their position.

Yes we can.
Could fuck up climate elsewhere though in most cases.
Wouldnt fuck around with it too much.

Communism worked pretty well in Israel

The place in that picture, probably, since trees and other smaller plants can survive already. You'd just have to pull off some landscape engineering and plant more of those plants. It wouldn't become paradise, it'd still be arid, but it'd become somewhat wetter over time.

Check out what the Israelis are doing in the Negev with water catchment, tree planting, etc. You can say what you want about the kikes, but they're doing some nice work in that field.

I think you are talking about youtube.com/watch?v=vpTHi7O66pI , correct?
One part was also that large herds of animas trample down the vegitation in the subtropics that otherwise would not be crushed. However since they are anual plants they still die and dry, but without being trampled down they pose a major competetor with the new grass generation.

I agree that we need to make desserts green. Polish people are always eating my dessert. If we make them green, the glorious colour of allah, penis be upon him, then the evil xenophobic poles will kick my desserts out and never eat them again

It's not wrong though. Often times we humans broke a working system that can not repair itself. Best example would be Australia where the Abbos burned down almost all of the rainforrest or Spain pre-romanic.

kek

>what do we need to make them green
concerted effort by the first world involving massive amounts of resources, labor, and money investments into doing so
>why haven't we done it
because the first world is full of greedy fuckin' pricks in every position of power who want ever more for their hordes

Would growing shit edit the climate?

You vastly overestimate the impact. Ecosystems are dictated by their location on the globe and the corresponding climate in said area.
Even when humans destroyed areas in the past, the natural state of said area was restored some time later.

The better question is at what rate does said system restore itself. If you can learn the mechanics of restoration, you can adapt farming techniques to the specific area better.

The main issue is the soil. Without the right soil water will just run over, form quick large mud rivers in rain season and flush sediment away. After that is dissapears so fast into the ground that potential plants could not benefit anymore.
What is needed is
>Silt particles, because its pores hold water with a preassure plants can access best.
>A humus ground and plant litter cover. Nothing saves water, it houses important mirco flora that is needed for further humus accumulation and it covers the bare ground better from the hot sun.
>Deep rooted plants to hold th ground together or everything that was done before would just be washed again next rain or blows away fromthe wind.

These systems first need to be tended by the human, but after some years there will be eached a point where the area will stay as such without further human involment. Would this be done on large enough areas, the local small scale climate would change due to higher evaporation from the trees, because they can acces more water that is now better stored in the ground, which in turn highers the precipitation.
It could be done almost everywhere, it only affects how much effort must be put into the system to change it.

There is a certain point that when broken, breaks the cycle of ecological succession. As example I could name Germany. Not your typical desert country but a few hundred years ago we had shifting sand dunes that swallowed villages. The reason for that was over extensive land usage. First the forests were used for catte feeding which eliminated every natural new trees or shrubs comming up. Additionally farmers usesed the nutricious top soil of the forests to mix into their farms. After the trees were then removed not only did nothing new come up, but everything that was not sand was blown away, something you know as dustbowl in your country aswell. After that nothing would grow on that dunes naturally and lots of work had to be invested to return these areas into a sour pine forest which is now getting started to be transformed more and more into beech.

yeah but stuff wont really grow in these areas, thats the problem, you need to carefully manage a sequential replanting strategy to either restore fucked up land or improve naturally shitty land, either due to low/infrequent rainfall or bad soil quality

But the Sahara used to be lush

that was natural climate change.

If enough money and effort was invested into it, very specific plants cold be re-introduced, and the ecosystem would change, but we would never be able to let up man-made interventions, or it would be one tiny drought from reverting back to what it was

> why hasn't it been done

That's what (((they))) are doing in (((Israel))). Desalination, drip irrigation, etc.
(((They))) are even planting forests where it used to be desert. I think the largest human made/artificial forest ever made on a former desert is the Yatir forest.

There are several once deserted areas which are now used for date plantation or other tropic fruits. Those in turn can be used to finance at least an extend of project time. Or you help the farmers in Chinas Loess Plateau to turn their unusuable land into farmable again. If those areas are treated right some can be renaturated and left alone after some time.

Looks like California..

A lot of California looks shitty and dead like that.

Asking if we could turn the desert green is like Jews saying could we turn white people brown...

rly makes my head do a thing

Ya you could do it, but why would you want to?

It can be done, look here

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-North_Shelter_Forest_Program

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Green_Wall

The problem it's water, for that you need to relocate massive amounts of water and it will mean that somewhere else will be a desert eventually.

And they do it on their own land so one could say they are on to something

Whites aren't allowed to build anymore. They have an artificial forest in Israel but not america, ask yourselves why? Why do white technologies get into Jewish hands?

We've turned many green areas into deserts over the past 10k years. We can turn a lot of those back to green, and, in fact, we should. We could green some other places that are naturally deserts, but I question the wisdom of such actions in many cases. Some deserts are beyond greening, however.

We must secure the existence of our environment and a future for dry climates.

Not without significant climate change, especially regarding rainfall. Irrigation in the same sense as is done in Arid regions of the middle east won't work since it's a different environment and soil type

The Sahara used to be a huge fertile belt with heavy rainfall, one of the factors that led it to being an Atlantean outpost and later Egyptian civilization

While the Sahara has certainly grown because of climate change, it is arguable that human activity is accelerating that change. Any shepherd near the edge of the desert who does not practice planned rotational grazing in a way that allows the flora to regenerate is contributing to the acceleration.

A lot of that region was actually not a total desert thousands of years ago. But 9 or 10 thousand years ago, they started with deforestation and over grazing which would have stopped the regeneration of the land.

>What do we need to make them green and why hasn't it been done?

It's been done but the real problem is not that there's too many deserts but that there's too many people.

Turn the Sahara green and the niggers will just breed even faster and fill it up before you know it.

Besides, deserts are part of nature and are kind of beautiful.

But we literally can, though...

>Not without significant climate change, especially regarding rainfall.
Not really. The H2O cycle just needs to be a bit extended. The same amount of water can still evaporate from the oceans, but as it falls down on land it just needs to be saved better in the ground.
It is also highly likely that early humans once again played a part in the reduction of forests there

I was talking about the shift thousands of years ago that turned it from grassland into desert, that was completely natural.

But yeah, man made climate change and inappropriate farming techniques are fucking it up further

It still isn't desert, in the ME, most of the land along the Med and into Syria is just arid. It becomes a desert in the Sinai and also in Eastern Syria, Jordan, and Iran.

There's a lot less effort involved with making Arid environments grow plants compared to the actual desert.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_greening

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sahara_Sea

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qattara_Depression_Project

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groasis_Waterboxx

Bring colonization back.

It was called the fertile halfmoon for a reason, but once agriculture and animal husbandry took place things were overdone, because back then there was enough space for everyone and if you made one place shit you just went a but further.

IIRC, for every 1% soil organic matter, the soil can store something like an extra 20k gallons of water. Also, with minimal soil organic matter, plants are only efficient at water uptake in a very slim percentage of total soil capacity. I don't have the figures in front of me, so don't quote these numbers, as they're just to give you the general idea, but at 1% SOM, it might be between 70% and 90% capacity that plants can efficiently uptake the water, and at 7%, it might be between 30% and 95%. In other words, the more SOM, the more water the soil can store (and infiltrate too,) AND the more efficiently the plants can use that water. It's a double whammy.

youtube.com/watch?v=ycLbO02lb7w

this cunt did it

Some we can, some we can't. It's more a question of "which deserts can we green, and how?"

The trees chosen are a huge factor as well. Some will last, others will just last a generation and die off after.

Exactly. I wrote a bit about exactly that here . Though I really have no idea about the american soil system so I can't name everything appropriatly

our deserts aren't green.

shut up and eat my fucking nuts you poorfag fruit.

Take a microwave, amp it a quadrillion times and point ut at the sky. Its called haarp bub, we've been doing it for decades.

For the most part, our soil system is taking dirt and spreading a bunch of synthetic shit on it that kills the soil biology. In other words, our soil system is really geology, not biology. There are a few farmers who have moved away from this and tend the soil rather than the plants, and they have developed some pretty slick systems and their ideas are starting to spread. However, they are going to have one helluva fight on their hands, because agrigiants stand to lose shitloads of money as people turn away from them. Politicians will be purchased in an effort to stop the idea that companies like Monsanto aren't necessary to feed the world. And they aren't.

You'd have to set up some kind of infrastructure that provides shadow in order to allow the soil to remain drenched. Now plants will grow and further provide shadow etc.

It's theoretically possible, but not practical. Deserts are deserts largely due to their position relative to mountain ranges, jet streams, etc.

Sure you can build irrigation systems, but those are limited to how far you can dig canals and such. You can pump water from underground aquifers, like what is done in the Western US, but that's ultimately unsustainable as the aquifers are drained faster than they can naturally refill.

Easy. Geoff Lawton has turned parts of Jordan's salt desert into paradise. If the middle east wasn't filled with useless scum, they would do this to the entire region.

Trees?

Fugg, beat me to it. Pemaculture is the future, and the nations and groups that adopt it will thrive while others are fucked in the ass by climate change, peak soil and peak fertilizer.

Or cover crops.

sare.org/

There are a lot of ways to build soil, some probably better than others, and some probably more suited to certain situations than another. They all inherently use photosynthesis to feed the soil biology year round.

We need to implement conrainers on designated shitting streets than send all of the shit to deserts. Perfect plan we can also export some salt to leafs they would die off eventually no rake needed

I think he means what will be there before the vegitation. But there is hardy pioneer plants that can be used without any shade use to imideatly cover the ground or use light weight plastic greenhouse tents to nurture the trees. Those are gigantic, cheap and easy to deploy

Not true. The fertile desert used to be fertile. hence the name.

See:

Look up Ray Archuleta, Gabe Brown and Joel Salatin. They don't practice permaculture per se, but they use many of the same principles in a different way, and they are effective too. I guess you could call it convergent evolution in a way. I would argue that regenerative agriculture is the future, and while permaculture folks may disagree with my semantics, permaculture falls under that umbrella.

we discovered deserts are a huge CO2 sink so i dont know if making them green would be that better

But trees would absorb the CO2 and create oxygen.

Fucking niggers if I was the president or top apex dictator, I did him give more land property so he can change by his own capital un the condition of paying taxes for goods with Talk with bsnks to find investors for a small plant.

Afff reeee

Africans hold themselfs back. Things like pic related are an exeption and get usually torn down by jealous fucks. iirc either this guy who planted the forest or some other had once his forest burned down by his neighbours because crops actually grew on his land because of the vitalizing forest

curious about the australian rainforests, have any links on hand?

Turns out preserving the forests isn't an easy task.

The Southwest would be nice and lush if we leveled the Sierra Nevada mountains.

Lots of things pop up if you search for it
theconversation.com/how-aboriginal-burning-changed-australias-climate-4454
books.google.de/books?id=FijiCgAAQBAJ&pg=PA7&lpg=PA7&dq=australien rainforest burned&source=bl&ots=xL1dt-qSMs&sig=_S_keG8fQV01hwiDJCSUIydA3Ak&hl=de&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiPl5fzhKDVAhWpJsAKHdAnBXYQ6AEIggEwDQ#v=onepage&q=australien rainforest burned&f=false

Because niggers and nigger culture is toxic. All efforts white men effort to make green deserts will be undone by niggers. Because muh nigger culture.

It depends on where you do it. The deserts of America, Australia, and China don't have niggers fucking around in them.

It can be done with Geo-Engineering/Warfare(Which Terraforming is connected to & has a few ways of being done).

[KB's: archive.4plebs.org/_/search/subject/knowledge bomb/username/anonymous5/tripcode/!!9O2tecpDHQ6/]

BBP(Black Budget Projects),Power Structures,Certain Corporations & Various Governments have access to that type of stuff.

Import a bunch of shit. Texas was a desert and its now mostly green everywhere east of Paso.

america shouldnt be on that list

We have niggers in America, but they don't live in our deserts (which is in the Southwestern part of the country)

America and Australia definitely have niggers in their deserts. And China has muslims in their deserts. Muslims are as bad as niggers when it comes to their backward """cultures""".

Let animals trample the land. They naturally rejuvenate the land that way, check for a Ted talk about dedesertification

no one on Sup Forums would ever care about making the environment a better place to live, user.
Shame on you for not knowing that.

>hello goyim could you please come up with ideas and funds to remove the biggest natural barrier between niggers and humanity that libtards cant cross either?

thats your problem, cage them up in the deserts

lol terraforming Venus. You are an idiot

BUT THE WORMS

Niggers all live in the cities, my dude.

Would be easier to drop them in the middle of the ocean by the shipload.

China is already trying to regreen the Loess Plateau. They've only managed to regreen about 5% of it, but if they are successful, it will solve a lot of problems for them.

you dont need to pay to hire boats if you just death march them

#smart #efficient

Spics? Yes.
Niggers? Not really.
>t. desertfag

Tbh, bullets are only like $0.10, but people would take issue to doing it outright, I suppose.

We could always put them on planes and dump them in Africa.

It was done 1600 years ago. But after the Grammarians were bankrupted they made the whole desert even worse.

>Look at this nu/pol/tard

>What do we need to make them green and why hasn't it been done?
Because it's unfeasible. The desert in the image you show is probably a Rain Shadow desert. It exists because the mountains catch and block precipitation. To get rid of the desert you'd have to knock down the mountains, and if you did that you'd basically destroy the local soil with all the blasting anyway.

Forgot my pic. tl;dr: Geology doesn't work that way.

Yes, our greatest allies (Israel) have already turned unihabitable desert into farm land.