Should America switch to the metric system?

Should America switch to the metric system?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_space_program
ancient-world-mysteries.com/units-of-measure.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No, and this thread provides no argument.

Average GDP of Countries that follow the Metric System is like 5k. The average GDP of Countries that follow the Imperial units is about 50k. Idk about you.

imperial measurement is the last bastion of implicit white identity

No. It would be way too expensive to convert to the metric system for practically zero benefit.

We already use the metric system... it's just that we also use the imperial system. What's wrong with using two different measurement systems depending on context? Metric for the sciences, imperial for day to day measurements.

Only if we keep Fahrenheit... Since it's the superior and more accurate temperature measurement system.

I find myself using metric often because I like it. A meter is like 1.1 yards, a liter is close to a quart and a kilogram is like 2.5 pounds. It's so much easier for cooking. You can count grams on the boxes to find out how much food you're making rather than counting ounces and remembering that every 16 is another pound. Once you count 1000, you have another kilogram. My only issue with it is that you can't divide by 3 and get a rational number with base 10. I wish we made our manufacturing machines in metric though. It's really a great system.

Also you're a tard if you can't use both systems accurately.

We use the metric system for electricity but I'd bet money most Americans have no idea what any of those terms mean. Everybody knows your bill comes in KwH, but not one person I asked knows what that unit means.

Study physics fagets.

Why would we? Imperial is superior in every way.

>Should America switch to the metric system?

The switch should have been done decades ago. The longer we wait, the more painful it is going to be.

It's a measure of energy, but the joule is the standard unit for that. One kilowatthour is equal to 3.6 megajoules.

>Counting your food by weight
Shouldn't you be doing that by serving size, not by weight?

Basically this. If you're not retarded, you mentally use both systems.

Also this. Fahrenheit is far better than Celsius.

I have to say it's real nice having a liter of water weigh one kilogram.

>have 600 lieters of water onboard a truck
>it weighs 600 kilograms
See? Easy. You can't do that with the US system.

We use the metric system for everything but I'd bet money most cunts here have no idea what any of those terms mean.

Probably but honestly I don't give a shit. Converting isn't hard and I almost exclusively deal with Imperial measurements at work so I don't give a shit.

>Illogical
>Archaic
>Slowly dying
Sounds about right

literally no reason to. we have a nice mix, standard for most everyday things, but metric for trade and science reasons

not an argument

t. Jose Miguel

There is literally no reason to

Having those two systems side by side is about as logical as forcing cars to drive right hand and trucks left hand.

people fuck it up like that one on mars

Yes, but if we don't fuck it. I'ma use it anyway fhamilam.

It's a good system. That's a reason.

Yeah.

Although measurement, like language, is completely arbitrary - Metric is just simple and effective which is what measurement should be.

what is fahrenheit even based on? what are its anchor points?

the scale used for celsius is that water freezes at 0 degrees and boils at 100 degrees

We use Imperial for literally everything in trade. As do a lot of Europeans.
Only in physics do you see metric.

Rather than cuck ourselves out, we should develop a better system, and call it the Murica system.

The same could be said about roundabouts too. Traffic light is the ounce in a gram life.

We do. The reason English is used is for convenience, like Farenheit. We learn metric in school too, and I assume other countries learn English too.

ITT : retards defending an outdated and stupid system of measurement the same way they defend their foreskin being cut off

dont the american military use metric?

like 1 klick = 1 km

>I have to say it's real nice having a liter of water weigh one kilogram.
How often is that useful tho? If your transporting something and need to know the weight, your not going to use math to find your hypothetical weight, your just going to weigh it.
That is as useful to the everyday man as knowing that Increasing the temp of mercury by 1 degree F increases it's volume by 1 part in 10,000.

Metric is so easy. If you don't know the metric system you honestily should learn. There's no reason not to. I think people would support changin if they realised how easy the metric system is.

Screw Celsius though. I still have trouble comprehending celcius temperatures because it's so engrained in my head.

Imperial units are the Common Core of measurements.

Also what's up with that whole month/day/year shit?

Yes, but only because it's in relation to a map grid.

Fahrenheit is great for weather because 100 is really fucking hot and 0 is really fucking cold.

>measurement
>outdated
spotted the sub 3 digit iq

It's literally based on some dude taking his wife's armpit temperature.

People like to say:
"July 23rd, 2017"
So:
7/23/17

It's a very simple transition and I don't understand why Brits and others give us shit for it.

Fucken what?

Brits are retarded and literally say "23 July"

They hate us cuz they anus.

But Metric system is way better.

That's fucking dumb.
That's worse than adding two syllables by saying "THE 23rd OF July"

No, remain in your patato system so as we could continue to mock you

>patato
Never change ginnybro

Why?

>being this bigoted
the only other 2 countries that use the imperial system are niggers and jungle chinks. the metric system was invented by the french and is just as european if not more so than the antiquated and clumsy imperial system.

>patato
Irish education everyone

There are two types of countries. Those who have been to the moon and those who use the metric system.

Even the Burmese are switching to metric.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_space_program

Tuilli striapach, yarr!!

Na, it is largely a baguette faguette scheme.

Fuck them

This
Fuck you all

>those who have crashed spaceprobes because of mixing 2 measurement systems, and those who haven't.

no, we tried it in the 70s and everyone wanted to go back to imperial units

Sicily is shit! SHIT!!

>this is the only """argument"" americans have and is said 100% of the time when debating americans about the metric system

america got to the moon because of Nazi scientists who defected, Nazi scientists who used the metric system

I'm sorry for your missing dick tip brah

>what are logistics
Why spend the time and money changing everything just so we can say we use primarily metric?
Such a retarded thing to do.

Metric is for literal brainlets.

Dozenal is master race.

salt water freezes at zero Fahrenheit
the difference between 32 degrees and 212 degrees is 180 degrees, or 1 pi radian

It's ok Dundee, some day you will leave earth and toss another shrimp on the barbie on a celestial body.

>almost all countries in the world use metric
>most countries are poor
>average is brought down
wow jesus fuck burger maybe use your head for once, eh?

Memetric system is arbitrary bullshit.
Imperial system is far more interesting and potentially useful.
ancient-world-mysteries.com/units-of-measure.html
It could have been used to measure the Earth long before ever circumnavigating it.

>Too stupid to know that America already uses the metric system.

No, because we're smart enough to be able to switch back and forth between systems as needed.

Um, no. I've got no problem calculating boundaries using survey feet. Elevations work fine also in feet. 4in = .33ft and such....

>Kiwi is too stupid to know that NASA measured thrust (force) in pounds.

Metric system is better for science and everyday use.
Stupid burgers

I find myself using yards a lot since it's an easy frame of reference from playing football

>Metric system is better for science and everyday use.

Shut up, kike. Nobody's asking you.

Whatever the kikes are in favor of, it must be bad.
/thread

Metric system is the best that new world order illuminati made for us

What level of salinity would cause salt water to freeze at zero Fahrenheit?

Retard, we keep the tip. It's foreskin that's removed, which is a sheath that is hollow at the tip. Fucking read a book, Mongo.

We should add a base 12 counting system to go along with our arbitrary measurement system to fuck with euroshits even more

>american reading skills

let's just continue to use US customary for everyday use and metric when doing multinational commerce and science

DESU it can't hurt anymore than it has already

>There are two types of countries. Those who are 56% white and those who arent america.

Yeah keep skulling that maple syrup, leaf.

To all those Americans who think that clesius/metric is "random" or "doesn't make sense" all measurements in metric are based off of things that exist in the real world (meter is the wavelength of radiation given off from some radioactive isotope, kilogram is based on 1/32 of a mole of silicon 32, ect ect), in fact the whole point of metric is that its both base 10 AND works for real world issues. Celsius is on the same scale as Kelvin (+-1 K =+-1 C). As far as every day life is concerned, either or doesn't matter, from a business or science point of view metric is just better, and the reason to changes is so that NASA doesn't crash a another mars rover because the stupid contractors uses imperial and they use Metric.

With C, 0 is when water freezes. It makes probably the most sense.

0 degrees Fahrenheit is the temperature of a solution of brine made from equal parts of ice and salt.

Nooooo. They shouldn't, let's have this one advantage over their overpowered nation. And now we're at it, force NASA to abandon the metric system again. They were much more fun when their rockets kept blowing up on them.

If it was that good of a system you wouldn't need to force it upon people

Yes. It is better in every way. It is more accurate and the differences between units are always powers of 10, like 100 centimetres in a metre and 1000 metres in a kilometre rather than the imperial system, where there are 12 inches in one foot but 3 feet in a yard

>tfw my country is too OP and needs to be nerfed

>hey Sup Forums should america waste trillions of dollars change every single thing that uses numbers including are roads, manufacturing plants, very sensitive lab equipment, military, and any thing else that uses system of measurements or are programed to use them automatically, just so we can be """like""" Europe

>oh i forgot Sup Forums this would also shut down every single thing that uses measurements for x number of years, but at least we can be like Europe

Metric system is fucking retarded, I want to have imperial back.

Technically speaking we are already on the metric system because all US imperial units are based off of metric standards. Also we are one of the 17 original members of the Treaty of the Meter.

>Metre Convention (French: Convention du Mètre), also known as the Treaty of the Metre,[1] is an international treaty that was signed in Paris on 20 May 1875 by representatives of 17 nations. (Argentina, Austria-Hungary, Belgium, Brazil, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Peru, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden and Norway, Switzerland, Turkey, United States of America and Venezuela).

Just do what we did. We've been in the process of converting to the metric system for over a century and the French still haven't caught on.

>100
>hot
pussy

You are exaggerating. Every other country made the switch with little cost, including countries which were already very developed at the time.