Hahaha who needs net neutrality it's just a leftypol meme!

Hahaha who needs net neutrality it's just a leftypol meme!

Based Ajit, I can't wait for all my internet to be throttled like this so I can pay extra for the shit I actually want to stay at normal speed

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/07/verizon-wireless-apparently-throttles-streaming-video-to-10mbps/

Other urls found in this thread:

logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/178/Unfalsifiability
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Just what we all need, Jewtube-watching morons netlagging the rest of us like it's 1996.

Good. Fuck your cat videos, I have arrows to make in World of Warcraft.

idiots, the endgame isn't "now my shit will be faster
the endgame is "my shit will be throttled next with the normal rate being sold to me at a premium"

if you think there isn't a "gaming package" in your ISP's net-neutralityless future I don't know how you operate on a daily basis without even the most rudimentary bit of foresight

>ISP throttles connection to your favorite site
>Switch ISP to one that doesnt

>surely there will remain an ISP who decides they don't want to make free money!
>besides, we're really spoiled for choice when it comes to ISPs, not like it's a crippled, monopolistic syste-oh wait
>just like how nintendo didn't charge for its onli-oh wait
>or how data caps never really caught on-oh wait
>or like how long distance calls on a cellphone are meaningl-oh wait!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

>Surely the Free Market will take care of us!
>Verizon admits to trottling
>Ah, the comforting invisible hand of the economically-rational man!

Fuck Netflix, and Google.

You're not making me shill for one giant corporation instead of another with your net neutrality bullshit.

You think this shit is bad, wait til America gets its own great firewall soon enough.

>this is just between corporations, there's no way one option could be better for me than the other!
>anyways I'm sure any extra costs incurred will stop at the corporate level and leave me, the consumer, unaffected! That's just How It Works™!

I'm genuinely trying to come up with somewhat plausible internal dialogue of a person who doesn't support net neutrality here but it's just fucking impossible

There is a very valid argument on this senpai. Its not like one side is retarded, should netflix and jewlu pay more for their excessive bandwith usage because they cause overall speeds to slow? Honestly im up in the air on this one but my values lie in the free market.

>everything should be cheap enough for me to afford REEEEEEEE

I will not accept that you aren't aware of the distinction between saying
>everything should be cheap
versus
>I will actively choose to make things more expensive for myself

Don't give a fuck

If lefties support it, I will be against it just to make them cry

No we dont need the government to regulate the internet. Fuck off libshit.

why don't you read up on telecommunication laws in the u.s. and canada before you blab dumb shit like 'hurr durr, just switch ISPs'?

Nah theyre doind this shit so Verizon can push its own shitty platform. There are plenty of examples like this.

based, but what about righties who support it?

No. Not only should that not be the case, but even once net neutrality falls Google and Netflix aren't going to be the only ones paying for this shit: you are.

You literally need the government to protect the freedom of the internet. Somehow morons like you have been convinced that the government, an entity which exists to protect the populace against the inherently exploitative interests of massive profit driven corporations, is your enemy. It's like you live in a violent black neighborhood and all you've got is a guarddog. There's a fucking gang at the edge of your property trying to stage a break-in and you're screaming at your dog to shut up so the free market can sort itself out.

Thank god net neutrality stopped this from happening.

did you just come in from an alternate timeline where the US has net neutrality or

So net neutrality was revoked or not?

I was under the impression that yes, Title II had passed in the US. If it hasn't then disregard but if you have net neutrality now, and they are still throttling you, then what is scrapping it supposed do? As far as I know it is just going back to how it was pre-2015. Are they passing another law in its place?

Good, degenerate TV-watchers should be treated as second-class citizens

Nope. We dont need the FCC regulating the internet.

>the government, an entity which exists to protect the populace against the inherently exploitative interests of massive profit driven corporations

there are people who really believe this

you genuinely need the FCC regulating how providers must offer unfettered access to the internet, because without that you will not have it

>there are people who have been convinced otherwise
I wonder who could have been doing the convincing

>1 out of 2500+ USA ISPs did something I don't like a few years ago, so let's give the internet to a few bureaucrats who know nothing about it
Your retarded mindset is why leaf internet is so expensive and shitty.

net neutrality never existed for wireless providers in the u.s. in november they'll eliminate it for regular ISPs, as well.

>it's an "American Pays More For The Same Service With Less Consumer Protection But Has Been Convinced By The Very People Fleecing Him That He's #1" episode

lmao over here

The way lefties/redditors are acting it makes it look like we have it and desperately need to protect it or the internet is over. Seems like we either have it and it's not doing shit, or we don't have it and it hasn't mattered.

>2500+ USA ISPs
AHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHHAAHAH
Nigger, most people only have AT MOST 3 ISPs to choose from in their area, even in my hometown (one of the larger cities in Massachusetts) I only get to choose between Comcast and Verizon. Charter can't even set their shit up in my city thanks to a fucking contract that Comcast has with the municipalities, which artificially limits which ISPs are allowed into the market.
Fuck off with this shit, most people in the US fucking WISH they had 5 or more ISPs to choose from.

>implying anyone in the US can choose between just 3 ISPs at any time, let alone 2500
>implying Verizon is "1 out of 2500"

Do you even know how much infrastructure Verizon owns? That's like saying Comcast is just "1 out of 2500". I'm lucky that Cox isn't shit at the moment and has been good to me because literally my only other option is AT&T who charges $60 for 10mbps vs the 65 I get from Cox for the same price. Cox has a monopoly in this area just like many others, same as Comcast and Verizon.

If they were allowed to do whatever they want, you can't just "switch to another ISP :^)" because there ARENT ANY NEARBY you dumbfucks, if there are their plans are extremely limited because of the big provider around that owns all the infrastructure.

Lots of your ISPs have fucking data caps, stones glass houses ect.

Also my internet is 45 bucks a month for 100mps, would be 30 if bothered with TV and a landline phone.

Nigger, lots of our ISPs have data caps too, what's your fucking point?

All this is about is HD video streaming sites putting enormous strain on the infrastructure during the evening and ISPs want to charge THEM extra (not the customer) to not get throttled.

Not even comcast uses data caps. Maybe some shitty ass rural satellite internet provider, but that's not mainline. The government even includes clauses in regulation of merges saying that ISPs aren't allowed to start using caps.

yes, both our markets have ISPs that offer service with datacaps

yes, I too pay under my national average for my unlimited service

yes, your original premise
>leaf internet is so expensive and shitty
has been destroyed as on average american internet is more expensive for the same shit

Title ii doesn't apply to mobile networks

>Not even comcast uses data caps.
???
Comcast has had 300 GB data caps for years, only recently did they increase it to 1 TB because the FCC was breathing down their neck.
Comcast is not a proper business, they don't stimulate proper free market competition, none of the major ISPs do, if given the chance they WILL collude, which is why these regulations and net neutrality exist.
Getting rid of net neutrality will only make sense when we split up the regional monopolies like we did with the Bell System back in the 80s.

you fucking idiot. who do you think that cost will be passed onto, the massive data corporations or you, the consumer?

>Not even comcast uses data caps.

they do and have been capping data for at least ten years. 1 second of googling will tell you exactly what the comcast cap is.

>jewflix throttling
>bad
Fucking leaf

Cox Communications caps their standard plan at 1TB and is a mainstream provider, not some shitty rural satellite. So does Comcast (not sure what #). You have no idea what you're talking about.

Literally this. That's why they put data caps in the first place.
Just because you get a maximum of 40 Mbps, doesn't mean the whole neighbor gets access to the same speed at the same time. There's a limit to the hardware. If people are using Netflix and killing the speed for everyone around them, they need to cap it.

I'm OK with killing net neutrality, but they need to allow competition in the ISP market in exchange. You can't have 1 or 2 companies controlling internet access and it's content.

First of all that wasn't me, but also, the average cost of highspeed internet is disingenuous because our rural population is even by proportion much larger. A median comparison would be better. Plus our average and median disposable income is higher.

My info was out of date, but you're completely wrong in thinking that the FCC has your interests at heart more than the ISPs. I would like to see more monopolies busted but that not happening does not mean we should be using massive and vaguely defined increases in the power of the federal censorship committee as a stopgap

>you fucking idiot. who do you think that cost will be passed onto, the massive data corporations or you, the consumer?
The ISPs have proposed charging those companies, not creating specific website packages for consumers. Not only would the latter be really shitty optics, it would be technologically difficult. If netflix has to increase its monthly fee then it will. But also internet prices would likely marginally decrease

>that doesn't mean that the whole neighborhood gets the whole speed

Is that my fucking problem? I paid for 40mbps and so did the rest of the neighborhood if not even better speeds than me, if they can't max out everyone at that speed then don't offer it. Simple as that dumbass leaf. The companies deserve no sympathy. This is a hole they dug, they can't just cap their way out of it to get around their own fuckup.

>My info was out of date, but you're completely wrong in thinking that the FCC has your interests at heart more than the ISPs.
I don't think ANY of them have my interests at heart, but ISPs are going to be fucking me over more than the FCC, so either split up the monopolies or keep net neutrality intact.
I don't like the idea of given the government so much power, but I hate the idea of giving huge corporations just as much power even more, especially when they have such insane regional monopolies.

Fuck you, videostreaming faggot. You don't get to ruin the internet because you're too lazy to actually download or buy your shows.

Pay for your extra bandwidth instead of pushing the lag and data caps and etc on everyone else, nigger.

If Netflix tries passing the costs onto the consumer they will lose money that way as well because people will cancel their accounts.

This is all about Netflix wanting to continue to maximize profit off their ability to jew ISPs.

>but ISPs are going to be fucking me over more than the FCC
ISPs are companies so public opinion is important. The FCC is a bureaucracy full of unelected employees and they are not accountable to anyone at all.

Fucking leaf shill

"Net neutrality" is fucking stupid. Why shouldn't people who use more be required to pay more? If you use more electricity or water than your neighbor, you have to pay more. And bandwidth is a limited resource just like electricity.

That said, the ISPs that took public money to expand their capacity and instead just pocketed it (like comcast) should have their CEOs and board members publicly executed.

>throttling Netflix
Good.
>throttling jewtube
Good.

Anti-white video services can get fucked.

No, you are paying for a "maximum of 40 Mbps". You get whatever they give you at the time.
It isn't your problem, it's the ISP's problem. Either netflix has to pay for it, or you do. Fiber lines aren't cheap.

I love the idea of turning over every possible aspect of our lives to some government bureaucrat.

>ISPs are companies so public opinion is important.
Not when you have a monopoly, at that point public opinion means fuck all because your customers have no choice.

>implying I don't torrent everything I use

Are you saying downloading my shows doesn't use bandwidth? Fuck off with your communist bullshit faggot. I pay for my service, I should be able to do whatever I want with said allotted bandwidth. Fuck nu/pol/ + t_d for allowing this shit to be accepted. If Sup Forums took a lot of bandwidth for some reason and they were throttling it I'm sure you'd come here crying about it, but because Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Video are for le normies, you'll gladly bend over for corporate cock to throttle it just to see normies mad. One day they will come for your shit. Block Sup Forums because of obscene content or some bullshit reason, fine you for using a VPN to access it, and you'll cry and cry. But no, it's ok, as long as you got your revenge on normies.

My ISP has to follow leaf laws, since all of their shit is based in leaf land (where I am we're on the Canadian grid for everything, near the border)
How fucked am I?

>Block Sup Forums because of obscene content or some bullshit reason
You know the government is about 1000x more likely to do this, right? Do you ecen know why broadcast TV is so kosher for decades?

>Why shouldn't people who use more be required to pay more?
Because you're already paying more to get access to those speeds you fucktard.
>And bandwidth is a limited resource just like electricity.
No it's not.

>No it's not.
Retard detected

>Because you're already paying more to get access to those speeds you fucktard.
If you aren't received service that you paid for, that's one thing. It's another thing to demand an infinite pipe at a low price. That's not really feasible.

>No it's not.
You have no idea what you're talking about.

oh come on. we've known how telecoms work for how many years now? not exactly an industry known for delivering quality services to the consumer. now big data is in the mix. anyone with a modicum of common sense can see where this is headed and what it's about. they WILL jew the everliving shit out of you because they can. they can do it easily and you won't be able to avoid it because you will have no choice in the matter.

if these goddamn regional monopolies were broken up and municipal fiber initiatives (ala the lucent gigabit project in chattanooga) not quashed, then the conversation would be different. the reality, unfortunately, is not so ideal.

Because unlike water and electricity, I am paying for an allotted amount of throughput. I am not paying for the amount of data that I use over time, contrary to popular comparison that you're making.

I am not "using more", I am simply taking advantage of the rate of data coming through that I paid for already.

Oh sure, that explains why we had to pass NN in the first place right? Id rather risk the government blocking a website (which is not lawful btw) than a corporation being able to do so at any given time because they have been given free reign over their enormous monopoly that I cannot escape due to ISPs not being able to enter the market because of said monopoly.

>If you aren't received service that you paid for, that's one thing. It's another thing to demand an infinite pipe at a low price.
What the hell are you talking about?
If I'm being throttled I am 100% not receiving the service I paid for.
If I paid more than you, and I get better service, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, I shouldn't have to pay even MORE because you just so happened to pay for an inferior service.
Bandwidth is not at all a limited resource like electricity, bandwidth is only limited in terms of allocation, not in terms of production.

>I shouldn't have to pay even MORE because you just so happened to pay for an inferior service.

So basically, you want lower paying users to SUBSIDIZE your higher cost, more wiring needed internet. Fuck off.

sounds ideal desu
leaf protections but have to compete with burger post-neutrality pricing

you might be in the sweet spot

>an infinite pipe

But that's the point fucking retard, infrastructure can deliver data constantly, indefinitely and it will not stress it. What stresses it is the speed. You really don't have any idea what you're talking about because you're comparing two totally different things. I totally understand not offering high speed data at a constant rate 24/7, I am simply demanding that if they cannot handle that load, then spend the money you charge me to upgrade your equipment or offer rates that they can sustain. Data is not a finite resource, I should not be throttled because I'm using all of the bandwidth I paid for. If your network cannot handle everyone maxing out their allotted bandwidth speed at the same time, then you shouldn't be offering it.

>higher cost, more wiring needed internet.
I can't tell if this is bait or not.
You're a sandnigger, so you're probably just retarded.

Hope so, haven't had any issues with anything yet

To elaborate, with an ISP's plan, to compare it to a standard utility, you are not paying for the amount of water you drain into your cup, you are paying for unlimited water but the water comes out faster depending on what plan you choose.

I should not be charged more because I leave my tap on all the time, because I am not paying for the water itself, I am paying for the rate at which the water is dispensed to me.

I should not be charged extra because I am utilizing 100% of what I am paying for. Anyone who does not use 100% of their plan is simply wasting that speed, hence wasting money. It is not my problem that my torrenting or video streaming stresses your network. Sounds like you need to upgrade your equipment to get with the times. I am paying for X mbps, I expect to get no more and no less than that for the price I pay per month, that the ISP agreed to serve.

Nice slide thread leftypol faggot net neutrality is for boot licking niggers

10/10 argument
countersage

The FCC is much more likely to block Sup Forums for its content than ISPs, that kind of stupid bullshit is literally their job

Internet prices have fallen and speeds have gone up dramatically in the last 5 years. And yet you would have me believe that suddenly they're going to turn around and cap it at 5 gigs or whatever and try to sell us the rest back? I agree that monopolies need to be busted, but you're complaining about a potentiality that there is no evidence is actually going to happen. You are buying into the propaganda of literally google.

The ISPs do not want to throttle you, nor charge you more, they want to charge the HD streaming services

>The ISPs do not want to throttle you, nor charge you more
I can counter that with one word
Comcast

I should have clarified, in the context of this issue they do not want to throttle you. comcast always wanted to throttle

Actually, you know what, I'm sure the companies will totally ignore that cashcow and let Netflix and Youtube pay. Yep that's exactly how it will happen. I guess you're right. I am a huge retard.

AT&T, Charter, Cox, Verizon, they all throttle.

There is no cashcow there. the number of people willing to pay extra for greater internet access is marginal. People would just watch at lower resolutions.

Most have been caught experimenting with it, only comcast does it regularly to anyone besides high volume pirates

OH NOOOOOOO THE HORROR THE HORROR
YOU MEAN THEY WERE TESTING TO OPTIMIZE DATA ON PHONE NETWORKS
THE HORROR

QUICKLY!!!!

SOMEONE CALL OBAMA!!!!

GET HIM ON THIS!!!!

>there are people who are sceptical of absolutely everyone's motivation
>except for Corporate PR Responses
>that shit's basically the word of god

yeah that's about the expected level of intellect of an anarcho-capitalist

>People would just watch at lower resolutions.
>4k tv selling more and more every day
>"nah I'm just going to watch this shit at 720p for the TV I just paid $500 for

Why should the ISP charge the website or service provider I am attempting to access, using the service I am paying the ISP for?

They aren't selling me access to a selection of websites; they sell me a connection, usually rated in an up-to download speed, potentially with a maximum download limit (there may be fair-usage clauses involved also).

What I choose to use that connection for, is my own business (within the law). If I choose to use Netflix, why should that usage of the service I have bought be treated differently to if I was just downloading a file of equal size over an equal amount of time?

The answer, of course, is greed. The ISP wants to get a cheque from me, a cheque from Netflix, and a cheque from anyone who wants to access my browsing history (they lobbied against strong opt-in rules for sharing that data). They are rent-seeking, rather than innovating, and cry to politicians about how they have been cutting investment in infrastructure because of how cruel and harsh giving customers the service that they have been selling is. Of course, they have been telling their investors (to whom it is a federal offence to lie to) that everything is fine.

>they are throttling them because corporations are evil
>no we are testing data optimization
>liars! you are lying because you are evil

nice religion you got there. no wonder you believe in the religion of the state.

logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/178/Unfalsifiability

Also no idea what anarcho-capitalism has to do with corporations. Don't know if you know this (of course you don't, because you probably didn't spend a single day of your life in the free market), but corporations ARE THE CREATIONS OF A STATE.

Fucking idiot doesn't realize there is no such thing as net neutrality.
It doesn't exist now.
Sup Forums you should know by know that we already live in a dystopian future, it's not going to happen, it's ALREADY here.
Same thing with the internet.

no-ones are saying it's because of evil
it's because throttling it creates a new market

but I'm sure there's no long, storied history of PR responses being disingenuous in order to quell public outcry lmao!

>pay for specific download speeds
>company decides what services are worthy of said download speeds
Time to start mailing the DVDs again.

>I want government to have more power
COMMON CARRIERS

>I'd rather take corporations' giant cock up my tight twink rectum than be called a bootlicker! That'll show those lefties!

>I want my ISP to decide how I can use the service I pay them for

FREEDOM

The fact that you think it's a choice of which cock to take and accept this false notion is very telling

Let's not forget; taking giant corporate cock up your ass makes you just as much of a bootlicker as taking giant government cock up your ass.
Don't think that's what he's saying at all, you shouldn't take ANY giant dick up your ass.

I think Time Warner does the same thing. Youtube videos load slow as hell until I use a VPN, then they load instantly.

Yet he wants the state's cock in place of an evil voluntary contract.

>throttling it creates a new market
As much as bad service in a restaurant created a new market

Of course I don't think you should take any dick up your ass, but doing it through the process of the law is simply the best choice we have. You don't have to give government total control over private infrastructure, but you can at least find legislation that can outlaw throttling for this shit, and data caps. The ISPs don't give a fuck about you and neither does the government, but the rule of law does, and if you get legislation (such as NN) to pass, you can prevent this shit and also save your rectum from gape. Getting rid of the safeguards that keep the ISPs balls out of your soup is just plain stupid and we will all regret it soon enough if Pajeet gets them taken down.