The fragility of the power grid

This was an interesting story - someone knocked out power to a chunk of a town by firing shots into a single transformer located on a power pole outside of Saskatoon. It took 4 hours to fully restore power. The shots caused a fire which destroyed the transformer and knocked out power transmission. It's another example of how vulnerable modern power infrastructure is to disruption - not just from intentional action, but all kinds of events. "Hardening" the electrical grid is possible, but expensive - it needs to be a major infrastructure project.

Other urls found in this thread:

cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/saskpower-bullet-hole-power-outage-warman-1.4221666
archive.is/5C3gi
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859
science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2014/23jul_superstorm/
foreignpolicy.com/2013/12/27/military-style-raid-on-california-power-station-spooks-u-s/
archive.is/ETi2i
onesecondafter.com
m.youtube.com/watch?v=iQqjUNmnpLY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Where is Saskatoon?
Also, does anyone have the screen cap from the former cable layer where he explains how to destroy the power grid/fiber optics (internet)/ radio/ TV in any given City or region with 6 guys top?

They're full of oil that works as a coolant. I assume the oil drained, then it overheated.

Regardless, all power lines and associated equipment should be underground.

In Saskatchewan.

cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/saskpower-bullet-hole-power-outage-warman-1.4221666

They really should, but at least it'll make our job easier :^)

Archive please
archive.is/5C3gi

how about you fucking retards in government try fixing the roads and economy first before you worry about spending money on giant batteries

fucking faggot retards

what?

This is why all my rentals are on solar with battery backup and have diesel generator hookups. In fact I'd say about half the neighborhood I live in have the same thing. If you're dependent on the grid this shit can happen.

The struggle is getting urban communities to upgrade their houses because they simply don't have money and rely on federal assistance

>Be NYC
>Power Goes out across the city
>Wall Street crashes
>Race war begins instantly
Someone do it

4hrs is pretty good response time for something like that.

The same can be said for anything, a few cuts of fibre can take out a data center / block of ISP coverage.

this is sort of thing is more of a problem with small towns,larger cities have more redundancy and engineers are likely to live and work nearby cutting length of outages.

that said their are many weaknesses in the power grid, Its more scary that the cybersecurity of power stations even nuclear plants is dog shit.

DEAR RUSSIANS THAT ARE CREATING THESE THREADS.

You all fucking know that its fragile as fuck.
You wouldn't even have to infiltrate with your best men. You could send women over on student visas and other shit. All they need is a large caliber weapon and whammm you have grids down.

how many fucking times are you going to make these threads.

its like water is wet - the sun is bright and warm.

fuckkk stop it. it gets old.

It's going to be something like this that'll fuck us all: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

We has a near miss back in 2012: science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2014/23jul_superstorm/

It's probably the American government that's trying to convince us we need to spend trillions of dollars on our power grid system. We don't need to fix other problems, but we need to replace all the power lines.

This country is fucking retarded.

A few years ago I think it was either San Jose or Milpitas where a "sniper team" shot at a PGE power grid. A few guys knocked down a bunch of transformers and disappeared before the cops got there. This was in California and a highly populous city and no one was caught.

cost more plain and simple, probably quite hard to get enough enthusiasm to get funds allocated for it above other issues

The oil is already heated.
The oil ignites once any of it gets hot enough and the pole ignites - everything burns pretty hot at that point.

This is all common knowledge to the world tho.

Only a nation with nothing left to lose would bother target our grids.

North korea

Why the fuck would the convince POL
Pol has jack and shit for influence. And you know that the US gov has already wargamed this scenario to hell and back.

How about we fix the collapsing bridges first.

First major storm of the season knocked out power for over 10k residences, and this in a major city.

I was one of the first to call in my street since I'd heard some kind of bang sound each time the reclosers tried to turn the power back on but couldn't see anything that looked fried. They did send a truck to tear around to search for something dangerous but it wasn't until like 9hrs later that they got around to getting the power back on.

Seriously if anybody with competence wanted to fuck shit up the grid is such an easy target.

I'm sure there are special agents from foreign countries shooting out or power grid to see the response time

But they could also be trying to use terror tactics to convince the US government to spend a fuckton of money more irresponsibly, which would be a far more effective weapon than the actual downing of local power grids.

Just goes to show when the race war starts the infrastructure will be a prime target.

The kikes that run the country will never spend the trillion or so dollars needed to update the infrastructure. They'd rather all that money go to Israel.

If they can dump trillions into the military than can allocate the chump change to upgrade the grid. Are we going to have real infrastructure spending to try to power out of the Greatest Depression or just more empty Obama-style promises?

>what is propaganda

This reminds me of 2013 when someone used a rifle to take out the substation that effected a vital part of AT&T's network. The FBI got involved and everything.

foreignpolicy.com/2013/12/27/military-style-raid-on-california-power-station-spooks-u-s/

already happened once a few years ago, nothing of great note happened.

>our job

Tell me more?

If this is such a problem, we could start militias for grid defense.

>does anyone have the screen cap from the former cable layer where he explains how to destroy the power grid/fiber optics (internet)/ radio/ TV in any given City
You've peaked my curiosity.

archive.is/ETi2i

Maybe it's not 'muh Russians', maybe American, Canadian, English & Australian whites are trying to troll each other into destroying our countries.
Maybe whites don't want to be minorities. Maybe we want to fight you globalist cunts. Maybe whites are sick of paying for every other irresponsible fuckers kids while we can't afford to have our own.
Maybe young white men in particular see no meaningful future in a degenerate, corrupt & weak west.

Haha, dont fuck with Saskatoon.

Nice try ATF, just don't worry about it, that's all I'll say

Good thing I have a generator and five days worth of fuel

*piqued

fyi, if you wanted to cause chaos and race war, just have a group of a couple hundred guys hit these things in a state and it will go down. If you could somehow have thousands of people you could take down the entire grid in the usa

Theres never been some catastrophic loss of pife do to... No power?

Who cares if its vulnerable?
We have bigger things to worry about

Its an attack on the grid coupled with a mosre significant forceful attack that's the danger. This would prevent communication. But again, its the forceful attack thats the more dangerous. Not the power being cut. (Except at nuclear power plants and military bases)

I guarantee you /k/ has it, it may be even better than the US civil war screen cap.

Not really propaganda worthy.

you don't have to convince anyone that hardening your grid to attacks is a good thing. It pretty much sells its self.

Nope. Its something else.

They are trying to give future insurrgents Ideas and a basic how to and what to do to get it done. Every tyrone and jamal is going to be
out there trying to do this. It will create a net affect.

And they still don't know who did it. (unless it was our own government doing it)

to even attempt it would be inviting nuke hate fucking

It's a cool little club, called Freedom Club (FC).

Oh so it's 'muh North Korea' thats causing America to commit sepuku. I thought it was 'muh Russians'?

>no catastrophic loss of life
Hospitals will get fucked, but the big show is in the cities, where niggers and spics will eat each other alive amidst the chaos
Expect Compton II: Not enough roof gooks boogaloo

And this is exactly why the radical left who are calling for violence will never succeed. If a sort of civil war were to break out, the militias on the right would be able to take out key power points almost instantly. These are the same people who would be more attuned to surviving without the comforts of the power grid.

A series of strategic hits on the power grid could turn an entire city into a gridlock of rioting, looting, and madness. Those who tried to escape would fail, as traffic would be at a standstill and cars would quickly be abandoned as the violence and chaos poured onto the motorways. To those trapped within the cities, political or philosophical alignment would lose all meaning and it would become a free-for-all of survival. Many of these people would be forced to come to the realization for the first time in their lives that, "cities don't produce the food." The infrastructure would collapse upon itself.

This one?

im not surprised, the power grid in rural canada is a 100% joke

>really windy
powers out
>ice on the line
power out
>heavy rain
power out
>combine drives within 200 miles
power out

>be Russia/China/NK
>shoot a few American power grids
>they jump at the sight of their own shadow
>disregard failing economy, lack of job prospects, declining standard of living, shitty healthcare, shitty education
>instead spend trillions of dollars on a new power grid
>American economy continues to cripple itself
>US dollar ceases its position as sole reserver currency
>great success

American government is truly incompetent

gg Russia you win

When are we going to enact sensible combine control laws?

The town I grew up in has all power underground

onesecondafter.com

Listen up niggers. The power grid (and low flying airlines but that's a whole other thing) are the most vulnerable targets in the U.S. A few muzzies or some Weatherman with some practical knowledge could do some real damage. It's only time until someone realizes the massive economic damage that they could cause by attacking even small power stations.

>If a sort of civil war were to break out

will never happen. you're too cucked

It could be anyone. Thing is we don't want it to happen. That would cause region wide outages and millions would die esp in winter.

The us civilian service industry would grind to a halt.

US military logistics would fall to 25% eff.

Restoration efforts would have to manually be carried out - 3 months of guys in work camps in the snow riding around in trucks

economy upheaval

us would be living off of mre's and canned goods.

no we def don't want that

No, the guy who wrote it claimed he later fiber optic cables and the likes for 20 years, explained the weak points of the power grid and how there are no redundancies

The town I went to school in runs power lines right through the trees, and when the campus was building a new building some construction worker knocked a nearby utility pole and that managed to break off both of the "redundant" power feeds to campus for most of the day.

kek

The first thing targeted in a civil war is the power grid.

I bet you love nb

Why are whites so determined to hold North Dakota?

That's actually insanely good.

Power died. Go out find the problem. Call in for parts and installation. Get it back online.

Just driving around to find the issue would be hours of work.

I live in Saskatchewan and we are exposed as fuck. Police response time in rural areas is at least a fucking hour. There is a reason why farmers say "fuck the law, shoot, shovel, and shut up."

Our only saving grace is that, with a little over a million people spread out over an area larger than California, we aren't much of a target. The only reason to attack is to show that literally no where is safe, even the middle of butt fuck nowhere midwest of the midwest.

That being said if there was a long term crisis where populations are cut off, we would be much better off since everyone knows how to hunt and we grow crops for everyone else in the world.

YES LETS SPEND TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS ON THE POWER GRID THANK YOU CONGRESS

WHO NEEDS PURCHASING POWER ANYWAYS

Cable runs are extremely vulnerable.
Power, communications, you name it.
Hell water pipes can get fucked up easy too.
Noone fucks shit like that up because it's a dick move to do so but in an actual insurgent situation utilities would need to get thorough protection somehow.

A terrorist would have to snip a lot of cables to do that.

I think it's more that whites are OK with living there and coloreds don't get why anybody would want to live there.

>a whole thread of replies and no gun control shitposting

baka

More jobs, more contracts. Would help the private sector or are you a NEET faggot who doesn't care?

They're not determined to hold it, it's just a shit hole state so niggers and Mexicans don't want to move there as much as they do some other states. It also has less amenities as whites haven't quite finished building the society yet so that brown invaders can come take it over and pop out 3-4 kids each.

how much effort would it take to cause any significant damage? coordinated effort of 500 or more people? to cause a few million or so dollars in loss?

Nigga, NYC was put into a black out for 3 days back in the 80s because a downed power line in Ohio caused an overload in the same grid which fed into the city

Besides, if you target substations, you're set

That's an OCR, not actually a transformer. It's an oil filled switch that is used to break load on primary voltage and to automatically reclose on fault 3-4 times depending on how the rocker arm is adjusted. It basically prevents something like a gay little bird getting electrocuted from putting the power out permanently and need a powerline tech sent out. They save companies a lot of money.

But anyways, there are lots of idiots that shoot powerline stuff in this country. I used to shoot it myself as a kid, didn't think it was a big deal.

>how much effort would it take to cause any significant damage? coordinated effort of 500 or more people? to cause a few million or so dollars in loss?
If there were 5000 intelligent people nation wide willing to give their lives to destroy the country in a planned fashion it could be done.

And by destroy I mean weaken the already crumbling structure until it collapses on its own.

Depends how OPERATOR they are and whether you want overnight crippling or to take some time to bring things to a breakdown situation.

Level 3 communications backbones have been snipped in california alot.

There are SAC lines that are all military tho. Insurregents can try as they may but the goverment still has alternative pots lines everywhere that no one knows about cept linemen.

ALERT! ALERT!
>Team Whitey is re-enforcing North Dakota!
>They must have something valuable there.

>private sector jobs
>based off tax payer money
>shuffling of money
>international banks and CEOs of construction companies skimming off the top
>thus the dollar is devalued

Yeah what a wonderful investment. You fucking idiot.

The issue isn't how much damage can be done, it is if enough damage can be done before steps are taken.

With 500 people you have no chance of operational security.

If you start attacking the power you will have about a day of action until the police and military roll en mass and your operations get nearly impossible.

Picture 50 of this guy, one in each state
We'd be set

1 man with a chainsaw could take out 10 miles of rural transmission line in a night. Nobody would hear you, and you cut them 80% through, then the final one you cut all the way through.. Cataclysmic damage.

>They must have something valuable there.
They have a state-owned bank :O

But also oilfield jobs and white people don't mind the cold as much.

you didnt describe a single way they could do so

>Cataclysmic damage.
>rural transmission line

Nope.

Best post in this thread. Very important. This will lead to the collapse of society if we don't EMP proof our grid. Military already proofs their vehicles.

Why would you still be there within a day of giving response teams an excuse to gather away from your next target?

I civil war fought by hundreds of lone wolf autistic would insanely fun.

If you were china and russia you could easily get that number into the country. EAch asset not given knowledge of the others only that they have this one job.

It wouldn't even have to be 500.

you could do it with 30 people with the right visa or arranged marriage along with special equipment that is easily smuggled in on a shipping container.

Goshhh i could think about this shit all day.
Wish the government would pay me to do it.

You know those extra large transformers you see near train stations and high power lines?

Those take about 6 months to build, and we don't keep any on hand.

>captcha is frei railway

that doesn't seem like a good example of how the grid is fragile. 4 hours isn't bad for the majority of the population and hospitals and the such have backups. Grids are maintained, the real fragility is from sophisticated attacks that are now actually possible. I'm talking Y2K except it could actually happen. Computer bullshit. Stuxnet. Ukraine. Whole countries going down for more than a week.

The necessity is solar power for all homes to decentralize power production. Which either the free market or heavily subsidized industry will provide. The highest cost most likely being environmental from the manufacturing of the solar panels, but then we'd have a more hardened grid. We only need it in the first place to distribute power...lower that demand and it lowers the risk involved in failure.
tldr; transformers going out isnt shit, hacking the grid is becoming possible, fucking solar or bust user

Oh, jew!

How would one go about taking one of those out?

Asking for a friend of course...

>10 miles of rural transmission
>Cataclysmic damage.

What would the damage be? Everyones refrigerator would stop working? and lights? And the grocery stores, and gas stations? Cell phones would still work? And it would take some time to fix the lines, so it would be like the result of a hurricane?

>With 500 people you have no chance of operational security.
That is why you need cells. You recruit two people who don't know about the other then they recruit two the same way and on and on. Very hard to deconstruct.

you could phone in detonators. DEts could be sat comm recieved.

some high power expl disguised as the rocks that they use to fill the area inside the fences with.

shivers

WHITES ARE TRYING TO RE-GROUP IN NORTH DAKOTA!

Why not disable the cell tower generators in advance? Nobody's going to notice until they're needed.

Food production will cease. Factories will cease. Water treatment facilities will cease. The result would be catastrophic.

>you could do it with 30
what is the most damage 30 people could do to the grid?
(and then you may as well say how much more 50 could do)

This sounds like something the man of the hour would do...
m.youtube.com/watch?v=iQqjUNmnpLY

>Best post in this thread. Very important. This will lead to the collapse of society if we don't EMP proof our grid. Military already proofs their vehicles.
The electric grid is being modified to protect against non nuclear EMP. It's not a complete job but every time work is done they add the protection drains.