Explain to me why (((they))) want so many people to start learning how to code?

Explain to me why (((they))) want so many people to start learning how to code?

Seems like every government agency and corporations has some sort of non-profit initiative to teach inner-city niglets Python.

What's in it for them? Is there really a programmer shortage or is this just some meme?

They need to hire cheap code monkeys.

cuz technology is teh future

Virtue signalling without even the slightest possibility of accomplishing anything has become the standard leftist MO.

so they can become technologically literate and post on Sup Forums

Programming was always going to be my main career in life. It was so fun and fucking awesome. I still love doing it from time to time, but it being infested by pseudo intellectual dumbasses who bog down the field and the market has ruined it for me. That's why I gave up on programming as a job and am just going to do Welding.

While Programming becomes the new doctor and people in it make nothing, I'm going to be fucking doing blue collar jobs in a market that has a shortage of blue collar workers, making shit loads of money... It just sucks that I can't do it programming though.

Ah well. I know I am making the right choice everytime I go on Sup Forums.

Not everything is something sinister. They want people to stop crying they can't get jobs with their fine art history degrees and start learning something useful instead.

Yo, fellow welding bro

Yes, because corporations and governments are known for spending lots of time and money on things that don't directly benefit them

Yeah sure they totally are part of some huge conspiracy

Bruh everyone here got to stop crying

How is it the new doctor? There I'd a doctor shortage and doctors make millions

>PHP
gay

Because before, parents and mothers would have their children grow up and tell them
>Go to college/med school to become a doctor. That's where the money is at.
But now, it's
>Go to coding school and become a coder!!! code code code!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The only difference is it is extremely difficult to go through med school, but programming classes are fucking easy. So this leads to massive amounts of idiots in the field with qualifications.

Doctors make like $150k

Not a conspiracy, finding competent engineers is fucking difficult.

Throwing more idiots at the problem won't fix the labor shortage though. I think encouraging more people to enroll in a STEM program is gigantic failure of an idea.

If they graduate, which is unlikely, they'll be unemployable. They'll just be more noise to sift through when we do interviews.

>flood the job market with semi-competent codemonkeys
>drive wages down even more than H1B pajeets already do

there is no fucking shortage of programmers, it's the excuse the Obama admin used to import more shitskins than we actually had jobs for.

false numbers on the government jobs stats fucks white people over who go through a program think it's actually in demand.

Fuck king nigger.

>but programming classes are fucking easy
nice digits.

Gonna have to disagree with you though friendo.

The failure rates for most universities with relevant CS programs is 20% (impacted). This is before we start talking about the 50% retention rate for people that graduate.

Increase supply to meet demand and drive down salaries

It's just rational

>Is there really a programmer shortage or is this just some meme?

There is a shortage of competent programmers, and there always will be. The market is already flooded with incompetent ones, and these "let them eat script" initiatives are just making that problem worse.

t. ten years of professional software development.

Georgia guidestones

Unite humanity with a new living language.

>The internet...

>there is no fucking shortage of programmers
There is a huge shortage of competent "programmers"... or software engineers or devs.

Most of what's available on the market are idiots that can't be trusted to get anything done on their own.

>dumb down american education system
>30 years later: "WOOOOOOW WHY ARE COLLEGE GRADS SO STUPID"

why are boomers so retarded

This.
Programmers are dime a dozen

still cheaper to pay pajeet in India $0.50/hr to build a half-assed solution than pay an American

This. It's about driving cost down in tech for fatter margins. Problem is throwing shit coders in the mix frustrates the good ones and turns the codebase into shit. So maybe they're subversively trying to destroy tech?

>the 50% retention rate for people that graduate.

Which just goes to show how much easier the classes are than actually doing the job professionally.

this
they hate it when only a few have a monopoly on a skill

its a wild goose chase. (((they))) want you to waste time trying to make a smart phone app so (((they))) dont think you expect (((them))) to produce more jobs

Not if you want to have a usable system at the end of the process.

It actually won't work that well. A lot of software firms have woken up from the dream that if they throw enough low wage street shitters at a problem, they'll get usable software out of it.

The same is said for the hiring process for software engineering based teams/firms/groups/etc. They want people that will be able to survive on their own without consistent hand-holding. It's fine to pick someone out of college that doesn't know dick for a year or 2, but if they aren't hitting mid or senior level key benchmarks; they were a bad hire.

quads of truth

its all about "muh diversity"

i would estimate literally 9/10 software company career pages are bragging about how diversity is so important

however its pure virtue signaling. you cannot worship diversity while hiring the best talent, period. you can have one or the other.

Welcome to the welding world, enjoy your complementary stiff knees and spots in your vision. You ever need extra money you can find work pretty much anywhere doing automotive-related stuff part-time as well.

new kinds of soldiers for a new kind of war

hire me then

I can use C, C++, C#.

Prefer C++ and C#, have also dabbled with C++/CLI (CLR/managed extensions to C++).

I can write a C or C++ DLL, make a C++/CLI wrapper around it, and use it in C# as a full library.

im faded as fuck man

There will aways be php code to fix. Use your brain. It's a solid career path for a long time. And so easy that you have time to learn better shit on the side.

Every project I've worked on for the past decade either had too few people (because they only hired competent people) or tons of incompetent people (80% or so of the work force).

Closer to 700k-1.2M a dozen. 500k if you really want a team of idiots to fuck you over and piss your money away.

Not going to disagree; most of it's a cake walk. The only useful classes in CS are theory-level classes.

Direct implementation classes were using technologies and practices that were out of date in the early 90's. Then again, most of the teachers left the industry to become professors right around the time of some pivotal industry changes.

Programming is not easy at all. Med is wayyy fucking easier. I'm in the medical field and don't understand a thing of code and doubt I ever could.

so they can offer something to the rapidly approaching post labor world you stupid fuck.

learn to code retard.

Where? I knew they made a lot I never knew they made that much tho

>It just sucks that I can't do it programming though.
>not programming a welding robot

It's a very thin subject in reality with a lot of consulting documentation, and writing your own.

Woopy do. What other technologies have you worked with? What programming architectures do you know? Have you ever built a application from scratch? Can you only do middle tier work or are you full stack?

When your tossed into a room full of idiots and expected to make "shit work"

It's a test of your leadership and management abilities. Crack the whip & make yourself high man on the scrotum pole.

Lead your team of fucktards to success.

Yes but that doesn't exclude the fact that you dont even need the qualifications to get a programming job in the first place.

I'm pretty good at what I do but I can't even learn French. How would I learn a very hard mathematical language

Yeah, every project I've been on I've ended up in a leadership role.

That's because of the meaningless metrics for landing a decent software engineering job. Invert a linked list, balance a tree.

It incentivizes gaming the system. Cram a few hundred "trick" questions that you will never have to use in real life and you are in. This is precisely why you will see so many Indians working at tech firms, who under normal circumstances can't solve a problem if their life depended on it.

Yeah you do. Having a degree is your foot in the door.
If you don't start with at least that; you're fucked.
Your degree is only important for your first 2 years of employment as a "professional." After that, you could've graduated from Lego University with a Bachelor's in Kiddy Diddling and you'd still get hired if your references were good and your work experience was respectable.

Dumb people are impossible to control tho

Windows API, Boost library, QT (a little)

I can function in pretty much any position you put me in. I have written quite a few small applications.

Carrot & stick.
You can control them pretty well if you don't mind being an asshole.
You might not eat lunch with them on a daily basis, but they'll get their shit done just to not deal with you.

Great. Put together a decent looking resume and put it up on Monster. You should be getting call from recruiters within a few days.

why are u such an asshole?

Dumb people who know you're smarter than them are controllable. It's the ones which are both high energy and incompetent which cause problems.

There's dumb people at my dad's business and no matter what he says they laze around while the smart people do whatever he says

>tfw too stupid to code

This.
They just do not want to pay the high salaries that good programmers demand. They would rather have code monkeys that needs to have everything double checked. Case in point the fiasco of the Obamacare website.

no decent programmer would give up such a cush lifestyle because of "pseudointellectuals"

you're probably either not that great or just an insufferable prick yourself.

>implying you even have to work with other people face to face to be in development

I never understood the gay ass brain teaser shit, but what's so difficult about an inverted binary tree?

That sounds like fair game.

At my job they don't care if you are good or bad just that you get the software working. Software development is like a ship. As long as it's running no one cares. I hate this industry I wish I could start my own business and get out. Everyone fucking makes it hard because everyone wants job security and this leads to so much wasted time.

there isn't a shortage of programmers

there is a shortage of cheap programmers

so how do you make them cheaper? train more people to know how to do it. even if only 1% end up as programmers, 1% of 30 million is more than 1% of 5 million. companies don't have to pay money to train people anymore, they can just get Obama to subsidize their business training with your tax dollars via public schooling.

He should consider firing them or punishing them with bitch duty tasks.

Keeping the numbers faked allowed Obama Admin to import more H1B visa shits too.

He can't fire them but the other idea sounds good

>"need a degree"
>hundreds of faggot web devs who graduated from a 3 month coding bootcamp making $90k

That's a management and product level problem.
That's simply bad leadership. If they're not paying you guys to create a quality product, foremost. They're wasting your time & their money.

If they're not hammering people to test their work more thoroughly then they fucked up. I've dealt with teams bitching & moaning that they spent more time than they liked testing their work. But guess what, they got all their shit done and it didn't break on demo day!

They can suck dick.

This, especially as they disregard millenials who went to college for this subject because they don't want to deal with millenial BS.

Gonna need a lot more nerds to program the robots that will be replacing all the standard service and manual labor jobs, you know.

It's late and I'm getting over a stomach bug. Also, I'm completely serious, if he puts together a halfway decent resume and uploads it to monster he should start getting calls within days or a couple of weeks.

Honestly, this whole "let them eat code" thing pisses me off. Fucking polticians have no idea how complicated my field actually is. They think you can do the equivalent of making people doctors by giving them first aid training. The market being flooded with incompetents is a huge part of why so many projects fail.

>If you don't start with at least that; you're fucked.

This is total bullshit given how self perpetuating IT knowledge is. I met people who dropped out of highschool because they didn't need shit else when they learned how to code.

>The market being flooded with incompetents is a huge part of why so many projects fail.
Truth on so many levels.

I almost died of laughter when I found out our data storage service couldn't handle filenames with spaces in it.
I wish I could hunt down whoever wrote that piece of shit.

yeah the STEM numbers are pretty low in the USA, take all the high school students, 75% graduate, then of those, maybe 15% go into STEM, and of those maybe 50% eventually graduate, and of those how many are actually employed in the field after two years?

hence all the raj patels, 80% of coders in my company are chinese and indian, not counting the indian outsourced

You're retarded.
I am not going to enter a fucking field after giving 4 years of my life to a debt filled sewer only to lose it to some stupid mouth breathing code monkey that doesn't even know basic fucking ASM or what he is even doing.

If you want to, fine. Enjoy your failure.

except that isn't true. I work in Software, the vast majority of people in the industry have CS degrees.

And if you can pass a coding interview at these companies, clearly your lack of a degree is not holding you back

I'm sure they got acclimated to unemployment checks too.
>insert response about this one outlier you know that's totally raking in 900k and fucking models on instagram with only a 3rd grade education

>There's dumb people at my dad's business and no matter what he says they laze around while the smart people do whatever he says
That's because smart people know that in some ways it takes just as much effort to shirk your duties as it does to simply do the work. Smart people also have conceptions of things like "reciprocity." Or, that's what my smart mother told me, anyway.

why is everyone equating engineers to coders?

Every job I had tried the kanban shit very few got it right. This industry suffers from so many middle managers afraid to lose their jobs. I hate it. All of us should be able to work from home every day but as long as middle managers are a thing that will never happen. They always need to validate their jobs and if their employees work from home and get shit done this puts them in danger.

>They think you can do the equivalent of making people doctors by giving them first aid training.
So fucking true. All this girls & niggers can code shit is a joke

Twenty years old here, about to turn twenty-one. Going to finish my CS degree in about a year here, been doing small mostly security related jobs as a freelancer so far. What's one piece of advice you can offer to someone who wants to do security fot a living?

Out of curiosity, what is a good metric? The first two projects I worked on at my job were using software and languages that I had never used before. I just learned what I needed to solve the problem before me, they were impressed and I have since moved up in the job, but nothing in the pre-interview would have shown that I could solve problems meaning they had to gamble in me. Trick interview questions like fizz buzz or sort algos are easily memorized, so how do measure a person's ability to solve problems independently?

It's not (((them))), it's literally because the free market DEMANDS programmers

literally every business needs some kind of computer tech, so the market creates CHEAP labor sources... ie free code camps

you're still not going to find good skilled software engineers from the inner city free coding initiative shitshows.... maybe some garbage tier webdevs

There is shortage and it will grow. Look around dumbass. Your welding / blacksmith / stone mason or whatever the shit you do skills are becoming unnecessary due to development of automatic control systems which implement mathematical algorithms that I, as an academic researcher with PhD, develop. So I need code monkey to do this. So learn programming or die.

>our data storage service couldn't handle filenames with spaces in it

LoL, I'm old enough I wouldn't even expect that.

>you're still not going to find good skilled software engineers from the inner city free coding initiative shitshows.... maybe some garbage tier webdevs
exactly

I don't have many types like that in my sector.
Middle management types are in trenches. They don't get any special consideration, outside of leadership positions to delegate work.

Then again, we also have a really liberal policy about working from home.

find a good rage outlet, like a very tough sport or slicing up hookers.

If companies cared about CS degrees they wouldn't be importing millions of pajeets with fake degrees from Designated University

If you're too stupid to figure out an income from programming, you were never smart enough to be a good programmer in the first place.

The more people that can program technology, the more technology can propagate. Even pajeet tier code monkeys are like a really stinky lubricant for the metatechnological machine.

Sure Pajeet.

On one of the projects i worked on, we were basically into production when a bug popped up. Our application was multi-threaded, at this point 10,000+ lines of code... and an error was popping up RANDOMLY. Like 5+ different errors, all out of nowhere.

After a week or so of debugging, I realized that someone new had come onto the project test team and started entering strings into a field, but hitting ENTER whenever they finished... instead of clicking OK

When you hit ENTER to start a new line, 2 things actually happen... a linebreak(new line) and a return character(return the cursor to the beginning of a line). That's because typewriters used to have 2 different keys for those actions. The ENTER(return) key does both at once. I only knew that from observation, and deduction, from years of experience...

It would literally take an inner-city codemonkey a year to finally figure that out, from pure dumb luck. You can't teach competence, you only gain that from experience and intelligence.

>There is shortage and it will grow. Look around dumbass. Your welding / blacksmith / stone mason or whatever the shit you do skills are becoming unnecessary due to development of automatic control systems which implement mathematical algorithms that I, as an academic researcher with PhD, develop. So I need code monkey to do this. So learn programming or die.
>I'm God!

Yes, there are companies dumb enough to try to cut corners with Indian """programmers"""". Not going to pretend that isn't true.

But those companies invariably suffer. There is a reason Yahoo fired every single one of their pajeet devs.

More so, that's not unique to CS. Literally happens in every industry.

becasue fun to be owner while salves toil in coding cotton fields

yet slaves thnk they smart

I was doing AJAX before that meme term even existed and doing code reviews for fortune 500 pajeets before I even graduated high school and I can tell you that 'that cushy lifestyle' is bullshit to camouflage all the insufferable cunts who couldn't even check in their work to a dev server.
I said 'fuck this shit' and now I'm a farmer but the irony is, that I still work with pigs in shit. On the plus side, I get to slaughter them at will.