Why are electirc cars so politicized?

Why are electirc cars so politicized?

The left loves them, the right hates them

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/w9b2g
electrek.co/2017/06/05/electric-cars-cleaner-than-gas-powered/
youtube.com/watch?v=G8zOHZINyG8
autoblog.com/2017/07/25/solid-state-batteries-why-toyotas-plans-could-be-a-game-change/
youtube.com/watch?v=jS4Dh_EAfJI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I wasn't aware the right hated them. Explain.

>You can drive a typical Mercedes E-class for eight years before you do as much damage to the environment as a Tesla. One of the reasons for this is the super-heavy batteries used in electric vehicles.

>Millions upon millions of e-cars also means millions upon millions of such batteries. Raw materials such as lithium and cobalt are in high demand. But where does cobalt come from? Well, at least to an overwhelming extent it come from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), a nation rocked by civil war and large-scale corruption. It's mainly child laborers who have to dig out the ore. But without cobalt from the DRC you can forget about any fantasies about e-cars.

archive.is/w9b2g

i just hate their pr campaign. the car, concept and underlying logic? win/win

At least in the US

The Koch brothers puts aside millions to lobby against them
Tesla sales are banned in some states

Alot of right wingers see electric cars as some liberal hippie shit like a Prius electrek.co/2017/06/05/electric-cars-cleaner-than-gas-powered/

Leftists are dumb enough to think they're good for the environment

Anyone who owns one or has driven one loves them, unless you're obsessed with internal combustion.

There is simply no contest. In 50 years internal combustion will seem as quaint as horse drawn carriages seem to us.

Electric cars are a meme. The current technology isn't sustainable, there isn't even enough Lithium on earth to replace all regular cars in USA and Europe.

Hydrogen could replace regular gas, if they find a cheaper method to produce it.

link is about tesla cars, not prius's

They're just totem poles.

When we start to see electric "muscle cars" enjoyed by idiot normies, lefties will find something to venerate.

>Leftists are dumb enough to think they're good for the environment

That is a big deal, but that's not why they are awesome. The best comparison that lots of people have experienced is electric golf carts vs gasoline powered. One seems modern, the other seems like farm equipment. Same goes for cars. Once you go EV, you never go back.

>Hydrogen
fuck yeah

Electric cars are really gay number one and number two they cost a fuck of a lot to make and still fuck up the environment while making them

sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't. Same for conservatives.

Government subsidies for buying electric cars. At the expense of every other tax payer.

They were saying that 50 years ago when the first oil embargoes hit.

I don't hate them.

They wouldn't be so bad without the externalities of lithium mining. In a macro-sense, they're terrible.

See However, I don't mind them for saving gas at the pump, if that's your deal.

Also I'm not really a "right winger", I'm more of a patriot/nationalist with central economic beliefs.

Electric cars are simply better.No pollution, no noise, better acceleration, much more reliable (less moving parts, no gearbox), can recharge at home etc., only problem is the recharge time

I'm right and i like them.
Too bad Australia's grid can't support all cars hoping electric.

We need nuclear reactors.

>conservatives like traditional things
>progressives like new things
wow its almost like its in the name

In my state at least, the sale of Teslas wasn't banned, but the way Tesla wanted to do business was in violation of the law and Tesla decided to be autistic about it rather than follow the law.

Conservatives don't like change.

I think it's gay.

>make environmentally friendly car
>make shitty hybrids with low power and ugly looks for the public
>no kickback cuz "muh gasoline" is still used
>make high performance hybrids and electric cars that can compete
>make it so expensive only rich folk can buy it
>they get kickbacks from the government for being good to the environment
>none of these cars are even better for the environment

>No pollution
The car and it's components are produced by grand wizards and as such no pollution is produced via manufacturing and maintenance.
>much more reliable
A puncture in a lithium battery produces an exothermic reaction that can produce and explosion and has a much higher fire chance than gas. Sure you are less likely to get a minor malfunction but if a major one happens, shit hits the fan.

Electronics in cars is just a means for governments to control your cars.

>They were saying that 50 years ago when the first oil embargoes hit.

Battery and electronic technology is the only reason EV has not taken over. If they could improve the batteries, get away from dangerous lithium, etc., it will happen overnight. Maybe batteries will always suck, but if they can fix that issue, only nuts will crave old tech.

I love pic related as much as anyone, but goddamn imagine trying to work on an old one.

Think about drones vs. RC planes from 20 years ago. It's like Jetsons vs. Flintstones.

Biggest problem with electric cars is their range, gotta recharge the batteries every 150 kilometers or so with current technology. And Germany is limping behind on creating a decent network of charging stations, so buyers are disappointed with the inconvenience. And since we're limping behind on "renewable energy" too and moving back to coal after shutting down our atomic reactors producing electricity creates more pollution than before.

Otherwise the tech is pretty cool, electric scooters have become a huge thing in China and have replaced fuel scooters almost completely. Much less noise and no pollution, at least not inside the city perimeter, nothing wrong with that.

I'll agree with the other parts but the pollution one is a meme. Half of a cars carbon footprint is before it's sold. Unless they make manufacturing way less dirty (Cobalt and Lithium mining) it's at best as good as most cars for the first 8 years you drive it, if not worse in some cases.

German-user said it best when he mentioned hydrogen. And the benefit with that is you can produce electricity with it to push electric cars around without having a massive pile of lithium fire hazards around you.

Tesla Model S 100D
has 500 km range.

>goddamn imagine trying to work on an old one
You're aware that there's an absolutely massive, multi billion dollar market for old cars because people prefer them to soulless newer stuff, right?

For them to be in common use, there will have to be infrastructure support. Recharge time is the big problem. The only viable solution would be battery packs that swap out. You'd basically stop at a service station and trade out your depleted battery for a charged battery pack for a fee. This would probably be an automated process. The Real a 3 had a rumored range of over 300 miles on a single charge. My conventional 2013 Honda Accord regularly gets almost 600 miles on a 16 gallon tank of gas. Electric will have to.beat that to compete.

Right pushes for oil companies.
Left pushes for car companies.
WOW MYSTERY SOLVED.

>soulless
Define "soul".
Cars are utilities to get from A to B as comfortably, fast and economically as possible.
If you care about looks, /fa/ might be up your alley.

No Tesla can compete with a Camry

The left also hates nuclear energy, which is the most powerful and cleanest energy sourc ethat we will ever have.

yes. I suppose horse technology had a similar phase.

Anyway, I hate religious discussions, so I'm out.

Until you take in to account production of said electric vehicle the story changes.

Here's the interior btw

>Hydrogen could replace regular gas, if they find a cheaper method to produce it.
Synthetic gas and diesel can replace regular gas and diesel, remove sulfur vehicles emissions, lower our electric costs and end all power plant stack emissions.

The future isn't in new engines and power sources; It's in new fuel sources.
youtube.com/watch?v=G8zOHZINyG8

Extract the carbon to dissolves into water, crack water into oxygen and hydrogen. Combine hydrogen and carbon to make new hydrocarbons. Burn the hydrocarbons in vehicles emitting CO2 into the air. The water absorbs the CO2 out of the air completing the cycle.

Energy input comes from nuclear reactors that operate in the nighttime low electrical demand period.
This solves the problem of not being able to economically replace all electric power generation with nuclear due to the uneven grid demand, any potential shortage of oil, CO2 emissions if you care about those, sulfur emissions that everyone should care about and it will stabilize the price of fuel forever allowing everyone to better plan for costs of operation.

>Cars are utilities to get from A to B as comfortably, fast and economically as possible.
And that's why we can't have nice things Hans, because of your autistic kind.

We'll, he is not too far off there.
Specially for self driving cars.

I like electric engines, not self driving cars.

Electric cars are a meme, and an easy way out for a government to make it seem like they care for the environment by banning petrol cars, when really they are just shifting the problem to producing electricity and batteries.
If the government really cared, they would develop next generation public transport systems, but thats too hard

No such thing as no pollution. Rare earth metal extraction and byproducts is not good for the environment.

the left invests in green energy, the right invests in old energy (oil, coal, etc.)

Factories arent in the city so it doesnt affect your health.And I'm not talking about CO2 meme but CO, NO2, SO3 that are actually harmful if millions of cars produce it in the middle of the city

It's mostly poor fags complaining about electric cars because they can't afford a Model S that has decent range and is quicker than almost every combustion engine dinosaur.
QQ

Elon Musk must be a great con artist if he can convince lefties that this ugly ass cheap looking interior is worth paying thousands of dollars for.

It's true though... The police have technology that can remote shutdown cars. They couldn't do that if cars were all mechanical.

>Factories arent in the city so it doesnt affect your health.
But they can still pollute rivers.
> harmful if millions of cars produce it in the middle of the city
In all honestly cars shouldn't be allowed in cities.

I've met a man who worked (long story) in a Coltan mine in the DRC. It sounded fucked up and not at all environmentally friendly.

It's minimalist!

Oh, didn't know that. I got the 150km from a documentation about Germany's electric car industry, so either that info is outdated or Tesla simply stuffs more batteries into them than we do.

>Tesla Model S 100D
>has 500 km range.
And takes 52 hours to recharge on a 110v connection in case your destination doesn't have a 240v special plug in. Which then only takes 10 hours when the batteries are brand new.

What is the water table?

anyone who has driven one cant really drive a car, it is all people who want to go from point a to b without any effort and just want to surf the kikebook and assgram on the way thinking they are saving the environment, horrible people drive electric cars, and they are really smug about it

>Tesla simply stuffs more batteries into them
Yes, that's why it costs over 100,000 EUR.

110v etc is for overnight plug into the outlet charging
CHADEMO is for fast charging which takes like 15-30 minutes

>What is the water table?
A level below surface that water can generally be found in an area.

Left loves them because muh environment. The right SHOULD love them since it fucks over muslim countries whose only value to the western world is oil. Imagine it. No reason to be involved in any wars in the middle east. Figure out who wants us to remain there is who hates electric cars.

230V is standard in Europe and fast chargers are becoming more ubiquitous.
Norway has free fast chargers in cities.

I read somewhere, that this method requires a lot energy and thus is still too expensive.

I hope they get the cold fusion to work in our lifetimes. Most technological issues we have are mostly energy issues.

They have no soul.

>I love pic related as much as anyone, but goddamn imagine trying to work on an old one.
Have one. Daily driver is a 2013 Honda Accord. Weekend car is a 1964 Buick LeSabre with a 7 liter Cadillac big block V8. Added modern front disc brakes along with some other upgrades, but it's still an amazingly simple machine. Certainly not as refined as a modern car, since there are no onboard computers or variable valve timing and such. But it works and as long as you can do basic math.and read at a 6th grade level, is easy to maintain. And despite the supposed lack of refinement, it rides and handles as well as a modern car of similar size with sufficient power. It's just really thirsty compared to a modern car of similar size and power.

Electric is the future.
There are lots of very promising alternatives to Li-batteries.
Sodium and sulfur based ones, for example.

Just a few months ago a solid state sodium glass battery caused huge uproar, especially beceause it was developed by the same guy who came up with the Li-ion battery.
Guy goes by the name John Goodenough.

autoblog.com/2017/07/25/solid-state-batteries-why-toyotas-plans-could-be-a-game-change/

Trumpist logic:
If you don't pollute America, you hate America.

That's why I mentioned that it's about less pollution in densely populated areas.

So much this!

Hopefully that guy they hired from Volvo can fix this.

The problem with electric bikes is that they are always going to be scooters. No clutch means no wheelies and no stunting. The limited range means no touring. It's fine for the city but it doesn't replace a motorcycle.

That's the work of the Volvo guy

This OP. Once again it's the right using logic and math vs virtue signalling. There's nothing wrong with electric cars but don't try and tell me you're 'saving the planet'

there is a contest, theyre probably more expensive to make than an equally shitty chinese car
manufacture them cheaply and safe enough and people will buy them

explain please

>CHADEMO is for fast charging which takes like 15-30 minutes
What is that?

The fastest charging is the "Tesla Supercharger" which only charges at 300 miles of range per hour, on brand new equipment.

For reference a gas pump fills at a rate of 500km / min or about 60 times faster.

The right only hates them because muh jobs

>Get job making electric cars
>We're overpopulated anyway, buh-bye underclass :^)

the effort it takes to make the batteries for those electric cars does far more damage to the environment than the natural lifespan of a gasoline-powered car

it goes right back to virtue signaling with the left. it always does. like with the mentally ill demanding $$$ to go through body altering surgery and shit - they are on the same page as the rest of the country in government aid and support but that isnt' enough. they have to have more and be given more than the rest. scumbags just want it all for nothing

Pretty sure I had already seen that by the time he got hired, we shouldn't see his work until next year.

I can't wait till oil is gone/unaffordable and all the fucking hicks whose entire masculinity and self-worth is in their truck are suddenly unable to drive them.

I hope they then either change or commit suicide. Would be happy with either

Have you ever been in a model S? I have and it's nothing special. If nothing else, it's pretty damn annoying because you have to give up tactile feedback and control shit through their touch screen.

Who gives afuck about ded niggers?

Big rule for leaving electronics in a car, keep them out of sight.
What do they do? Put a big fucking tablet right in the center. Tyrone's gonna be pretty happy

>I read somewhere, that this method requires a lot energy and thus is still too expensive.
That's really a question of the cost of energy from your nuclear reactor. The navy design was estimating a high end cost of about $6USD/gallon for JP-5 made on a ship following a carrier task group around. A scaled up landed based system using a cheaper reactor drops that to and estimate of about $2.50USD/gallon. Which doesn't include the economy of having nuclear reactors replace the whole electric grid.

>I hope they get the cold fusion to work in our lifetimes. Most technological issues we have are mostly energy issues.
We already have breeder fission reactors that offer all the cost energy savings of fusion, the same trace amounts of waste, the same massive supply of fuel, but actually work.

:^)

If that's true, the we are all retards for not building nuclear power plants all over place and use thorium reactors for the waste. For me, it would be ok for the government to subsidize the Thorium reactors to counter the negative externalities of nuclear power. I really hate, how goverments always act so ideologically driven

This is a big kick for electric vehicles. The infrastructure just isn't there for enough people to plan ahead.

If you want to drive across country, every 300 miles or so you will need to stop for half an hour. This also means you need to plan your route accordingly.

As a daily commute vehicle it's not terrible if your round trip is less than 300 miles, which for a lot of people it is.

It's definitely not a vehicle of complete convenience, and people like convenience.

If you don't enjoy the sound of a good v6 or v8 you shouldn't be allowed to drive anyways'

Define good. V6's are in a lot of vehicles now.

Well on the bright side the greenies have manages to convince governments all over the world to dump hundreds of billions into useless wind and solar power.

That shows it's possible in theory to get them to support breeder reactors, and the LFTR design.

>muh sound
Confirmed attention whore.

>If you want to drive across country, every 300 miles or so you will need to stop for half an hour. This also means you need to plan your route accordingly.
An hour, not 30min.
It's 60min to get 300 miles of charge with their fastest charging tech.
I can only wonder how they will avoid fires when people start showing up with slightly older batteries.

youtube.com/watch?v=jS4Dh_EAfJI
Please, fuck off.

> thinking the person inside the car cannot enjoy the sound

>Koch brothers
>right-wing

Like said, your autism killed fun in the automotive industry.
Even on "performance" cars, there's tons of needless additions that have been added for the sole purpose of isolating you from everything. You used to hit the gas and feel it as much as you heard it, but now you might as well be playing a video game with how much effort manufacturers have put into detaching the driver from everything thanks to people like you being NPC's.

>Smugfedoraresponse.tar

Manufacturers couldn't sell directly to the customers here because dealerships claimed it was unethical for the manufacturers to charge them to sell their brand only to pull the rug out from under them by offering the cars direct to the customers themselves.
Instead of challenging this law, Tesla just stuck its fingers in its ears and shouted "Lalala I can't hear you!" and tried to open outlets anyways, then raged when the state told them to fuck off.
If they properly challenged the law in court, they likely could have won, but they decided to be stupid about it. Luckily for them, the state legislature is trying to do the work for them. Democrats put forth a bill to allow a specific exception for Tesla along with tax breaks and other goodies, but it hasn't passed yet because Republicans are fighting it.

>Why are electirc cars so politicized?

because politicians are pushing to ban every single other car

See France which announced a complete ban on petrol cars in a few years

Well, they are. They're as ancap as it gets.

Electric cars are gay like you op.

You know America is on its way to being completely fuel independent. Keep saying that when you'll be buying gas from us.