They fooled you again

I've been wondering about this. I always called it Gen Y. What the fuck?

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, 'twas the Jew.

>changing the name of a generation after 30 years

Why did it take so long for someone to post this

It's because "millennials" encompasses some of early Gen Z as well (1996-98)

using this from now on

As an old fag the graduated in 2000 i always remember being called a millennial

That's what I always understood growing up. Then all of a sudden in the past couple years, everyone is insisting that Gen Y is millenial.

Turns out they were just reading Buzzfeed.

wtf i hate millennials now

>(1996-98)
>born in 99

What month is your birthday, friendo?

Everyone was calling everything Milleni- around 2000. That died down pretty quickly.

November

Dude, wikipedia is even worse.....
"Millennials (also known as Generation Y) are the demographic cohort following Generation X. There are no precise dates for when this cohort starts or ends; demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years."

>early 1980's

the term, when originally created was used to describe people who were born in the new millennium, ie, those that would like only in a post-2000 world. When it originated, it didnt go back an include those who were born in the 80s

tl;dr - it has literally become a catch-all term to describe anyone who was born after the mid-1980s

You spelled millennial wrong, but yes you're still right.

>born 99
>birthday november
MODS MODS MODS

I've been telling you faggots this for fucking years now!!!!!!!

Yup, and if you look in the edit history, there are huge debates about lumping in Gen Y with Millenial.

And the article is locked. Really makes you think.

Children can view frogs too

oh nice catch. thanks britbro

Modern journalism is literally just clickbait for quick and easy shekels.

>It's because "millennials" encompasses some of early Gen Z as well (1996-98)

>backdating Gen Z into the 20th Century to avoid the stigma of being a Gen Y/Millennial

Here's the copypasta explanation of how the generations work:

>The basis for all this is the "Boomers" and the American age of consent (18), which sets the generational limit...no one gives a shit about the Brits, etc. with their hebephile 16-year-old bullshit. Same for you Appalachian wincest pedos.
>The earliest possible Boomer was born in 1946, in the post War baby "boom". Adding eighteen years to this (inclusive, so we actually add seventeen) gets you to 1963. Therefore, the next generation (Gen X) is from 1964 to 1981. And another eighteen is the Millennials, 1982 to 1999...which fits their name, the last generation born in the second Millennium.
>Ergo, Generation Z is 2000 - 2017. Next year, another generation starts.

Gen X myself, for the record. I've heard the term Millennial since the mid-00s, so OP's a faggot and it's nothing new.

no, it doesnt make me think one bit, because I already know

You see, 30 years ago, when they wanted to change history, they did it more slowly. They took time to make sure people didnt remember. As the flow of information increased, the speed with which they had to make their edits increased as well. This means that more people remember the original version, and not the revisionist version.

Im likely a lot older than you think user, and despite that age, I remember.....I remember, user.

gen X has their shit together more than anyone else

Except us boomers, whom you should learn to emulate.

gen X are just boomers without any of the mental autism that boomers have

boomers........
arent you the guys who they promised income tax was going to be temporary??
Arent you the guys who they promised they wouldnt tax social security??
Arent you the guys who ran this fucking place in to the ground for the last 30 years?

>backdating

Generation Z started in the mid 90's. I don't know where you pulled this "generation Y his a billion years wide" meme from. Almost any source will say 95/96 as the starting point for gen Z

>tfw was arguing about this same shit 20 years ago on alt.society.generation-x
>tfw still not a target market

I'm tired.

WE arent backdating it......other sources are....namely wikipedia

looking back at the page edits and the debates they inspired though, you can see this was not done without resistance. They did however, lock the page so it cant be changed further

>born in 86

>suddenly within the last 2 years im now a millenial

I wasn't even talking about wikipedia, but yes wikipedia uses the starting dates typically used by demographers since "generations" aren't really a thing outside of their usefulness in noticing demographic trends. Millennials are currently stuck in "careers" they despise, are balding, probably married to a roastie and are nearing or past the 30-year threshold. These people have nothing in common with the people born in '95 and onwards. Gen Y grew up with SNES, the older members of gen Z grew up with N64 and then PS2. Where do you think all this 80's nostalgia in advertising, movies, TV shows and video games is coming from? It's aging millennial at the height of their careers trying to capture their childhood again.

>millennials are currently stuck

Gen Y*

>Australian lecturing an American about how our generations work

Crikey, lad.