Getting doxxed if you archive links?

If you use a popular archiving site like archive.is to archive a website, can someone track down who it was that who archived the link? I’m not trying to dox someone – I’m worried about whether I could be doxed. Presumably this would happen if somewhere in the archived link, archive.is saved the IP address of whoever archived the webpage (or maybe it can be done a different way).

Let’s say I made a meme, and then on that meme I put a link to a pastebin (so that people could visit the pastebin link to read more about the subject matter of the meme). Then on the pastebin, there are a series of links from archive.is (e.g., it could be archives of websites that serve as sources for the info in the meme).

Could someone figure out my IP address (or some other way to identify me) from those archived links, and then be able to conclude it was me who made the meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.archive.org/2017/01/25/see-something-save-something/
archive.is/faq
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No
Stop trying to dox the eternal archivist, faggot

How do I shot web?

archive site passes along ip address of person that archived site to the site (as if that user accessed the site directly).

Is there a way someone could get my IP address, short of the archive site deciding to hand it over? Let's say CNN wanted to dox me like they did to HanAssholeSolo. Would they have to force archive.is to turn over my IP address?

I'm not trying to dox anyone. I am worried that I could get doxxed for the exact reason I described above (I'm in the process of a meme that will link to a pastebin containing several archived links).

if you were the first person to archive a page on cnn.com, cnn does not have to force archive.is to hand over your ip, they already have it.

if you were just a person that accessed an archive copy of a cnn.com page, they would not have your ip and would need to force archive.is to hand it over (if they have it)

Apparently archive.org says "We do not keep your IP address, so your submission is anonymous."
>blog.archive.org/2017/01/25/see-something-save-something/

>if you were the first person to archive a page on cnn.com
So if you are the first person to archive it, CNN will see that they got a visitor from archive.is, and will also see that it was your ip address that was archiving it? (As opposed to CNN just seeing your IP address, in which case they wouldn't know it was you who archived it, or as opposed to CNN just seeing the IP address of archive.is, in which case they also wouldn't know it was you who archived it)?

>So if you are the first person to archive it, CNN will see that they got a visitor from archive.is, and will also see that it was your ip address that was archiving it?
yes

Are you fucking retarded? How the fuck would someone get your IP from a link doofus?

Do you know what you are talking about? I just archived a page on my own host. There was no extra info in the http headers and the scrape came from an IP related to archive. By what channel is the IP passed over?

If you are worried about it, use a VPN.

they claim they pass the ip address of the person that requested the archive as x-forwarded-for header, much like a proxy would.

Why are you all so retarded?

This is such a newfag/normie question...but how do I go about that? I've been meaning to try doing this for a while.

I'm tech-savvy enough that it's not like you'll be explaining this to your parents or something.

Just archived a few of my own pages and got no IP in any headers. Where did you read that? Just checked the FAQ and they don't mention it. They don't on their blog either. Apparently its not open source so I can't check out the scraper myself.

Still to anyone who wants to archive a page you should use for browser if this is a concern for you.

OK OP, let's say the antifa fags or whomever you are so concerned about, get your IP

Barring it being a large media conglomerate (who has the money) or the law (who have their own tools), no one who you archive will be able to extract any data of yours from the IP anyway (excluding illegal methods that would involve socialing or backdooring the ISP). further, almost every ISP issues dynamic IP's nowadays, your current IP won't be the same 2 weeks from now than what is it currently.

What exactly is it you're afraid of?

You seem like a leftist faggot who wants to dox the Nordbot, fuck off.

archive.is/faq
>Do you preserve archivers' privacy? E.g. not disclose the source IP address?
>Yes.
>But take in mind that when you archive a page, your IP is being sent to the the website you archive as though you are using a proxy (in X-Forwarded-For header). This feature allows websites (e.g shops or the sites with weather forecast) target your region, not mine.

says it right in FAQ.

They're afraid of getting their IP backtraced. They might have left a port open!

norbot already doxes himself, but you and other expert hackers are too smart to notice

Its not simple to set up a VPN in a way that won't expose you. If you want to archive shit and are worried about an IP leak use the The Browser bundle for it. Then you are totally protected. Its latest design requirements are almost exclusively tested on journalists so even total retards can use it.

The three main sites are pretty clean OP. There's other shit you should be worried about.

Just wait for norwaybot.

I'm not. I'm the guy who made pic related. I want to repost it with a link to a pastebin that will have an archived link to prove the truth of the claim that every single person in the picture is Jewish. But I remember how CNN tried to dox HanAssholeSolo for simply posting the meme. I'm not trying to get doxed for creating the meme if they can track the archived links to me.

>Not archiving while having a VPN on
Breath the paranoia goy.

Fair enough then they have a bug since the requests to me didn't have that header at all.

You shouldn't listen to this wee lad. Your shitty Verizon chinkshit router won't protect you.

According to the FAQ they absolutely send your IP to the site being archived so you should assume they will absolutely get it. Download For Browser and you totally eliminate the problem.

They never doxed him. They just told so. It was a poor attempt to send a message to memestars.

Of course they archive your IP
Don't use archive.is

Is stands for Israel

Good goy well done

That dude got doxed because he got baited into donating money. That's a lot different from shitposting on Sup Forums.

Unless you're posting about messing with football or some other such thing that forces law enforcement to give a shit about you then there's really nothing to be concerned about any more than all of your other daily life activities that get tracked and recorded.

Iceland, not Israel.

Tor Browser or VPN? Or both? Sorry I'm kinda new at this shit

Iceland Israel all the same thing
Don't trust a bot

Don't use Tor
Vpn, a paid one
Not a free one

That's the fucking DNS record you fucking moron. The actual hosting is cloudflare.

Jesus Christ.

Good goy.. Trusting Iceland

Just tor browser. Its normie tier easy to use. Forget about a VPN unless you have some time to read wtf you are doing.

If you want a fire and forget tool to have a different IP you want For Browser.

youre being too paranoid

Don't listen to this goy.
Tor is honeypot.
Go for a VPN but only a paid one

You have no reason to presume that your packets are hitting any server in Iceland to get the hostname resolved.

>For Browser
Do you mean Tor Browser? I assume that's what you mean, but you've said For Browser now 3 times.

(((Auto correct))) is working against me.

who exactly is it you think the attacker is going to be here? his chinkshit router is likely perfectly sufficient in protecting him from 99% of the internet's users

and use a visa gift card paid for with cash from a public wifi.

having read the rest of the thread and seeing that this is what OP wants to accomplish

I think it's perfectly reasonable to conclude that he'll be fucking fine. OP they didn't go through such laborious methods to dox that faggot redditor. Imagine all the other things that have been posted on the internet before, this would just be a drop of water in the ocean of piss we live in.

>g
>SQTDNDT

Probably more than 99%. He has an easy to deal with threat model and Tor fits it perfectly and doesn't require any technical knowledge. There is no harm or wasted effort in what he is doing to protect himself.

It will take him 2 minutes to download TBB. When he opens it he will realise it looks exactly like his normal browser and archive the page. Now he knows his threat is accounted for. What's your problem here? If I was telling him to ssh chain 7 proxies through Bermuda then I would get why you are salty but this makes no sense.

Shit i'll post it. I don't give a fuck.

Five 9s, minimum.

because your average user doesn't want to download and use new browsers (you're preaching to the choir here about how easy it is and how it's no different, but I'm telling you that the average guy doesn't give a fuck enough to do it), he is sufficiently protected doing the current activity he is doing. sure he is protecting against even less than probable threats, but the most pragmatic approach is continuing as usual.

>your average user doesn't want to download and use new browsers
You're average user probably doesn't want to take the time to individually research and prove that every single person out of 109 people are Jewish and then spend the time creating a meme to convey that fact. But, alas, here I am with all of these links and the meme in photoshop. I'll download Tor if that's what it takes.

ok then fuckin execute and do it and there's your answer guy

I'd recommend you do but I can't justify it more than I already have. It really is piss to use and it completely protects you from what you are worried about. torproject.org

Will do. Might take some time, so I might not have it ready to post by tonight.

Thanks for your help.

Because .org are the based guys.
.is are the jews who put their shitty archives behind (((cloudflare))) so you have to clear a (((google captcha))) when accesing through tor

Dude just find out if you have a dynamic IP if yes you don't need to do anything.

God speed bro post meme when done.

Most of what I've seen says the exact opposite, that ORG is (((compromised))) and IS is the better one to use.

Other anons, which one is correct?

does anyone here realize which (((country))) that suffix ".is" is cached in??!! Perhaps we need to archive our info in Russia or Switzerland or maybe Finland. Archiving in that (((country))) does not seem like a sound idea.

Ask Sup Forums.

Can someone explain why OP is so afraid of his ip being traced? Is archiving illegal somehow? Also why is OP just a (((faggot)))?

>being stupid on purpose

My bet is hat he archieved some illegal or questionable stuff and he's afraid that agent Johnson will knock his door tomorrow morning.

>tfw I don't use hooktube or archive

This is a shill literally asking for information on how to doxx people. Are you guys that fucking stupid?

>I'm asking for a friend, I swear