Global Warming

So is it real or not?

Presumably the climate is changing, but is it the result of human interference or just natural geological phenomena? Any good reasoning to support either side?

Other urls found in this thread:

zerohedge.com/news/2017-07-27/nasa-confirms-falling-sea-levels-two-years-amidst-media-blackout
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

melankovich cycles. Also look up heat island effect and see how jewed the data collection lending to it's credibility is

No
zerohedge.com/news/2017-07-27/nasa-confirms-falling-sea-levels-two-years-amidst-media-blackout

>Is it real?
Maybe
>Is it the result of human interference?
Maybe
>Should we be worried about it?
Maybe

t. physicist

Climate variation is naturally occurring.

fp good

I like to pretend it's not real but I don't think there's anyway we COULDN'T be fucking up the environment with the amount of shit we do to it.

So the earth might not be warming but it's still a huge issue

It incontrovertibly is. That's not up for debate. The debate is whether human activity has influence on it.

You'd have to be an idiot to think that the billions of people on earth have no impact whatsoever on the Earth right now. Something will eventually happen and there's nothing anyone can really do about it, unless you shaved off half of the earth's population.

it's bullshit

the CIA has been paying off the scientific community to push global warming caused by fossil fuels since the 50's so they wouldn't scare the public about nuclear

chernobyl damaged the planet more in a month than a century of burning oil.. not to mention the threat of nuclear weapons..

Let's be clear: Our only hope is going to be space travel. If we don't focus on aerospace technology and colonizing the moon and mar, we are fucked as a species.

this

>global warming.jpg
>Posts a picture of fucking steam
Guess this shows the intelligence of those who bought into the global warming meme

It's real

this is one of the shittiest arguments I've seen
radiation = / = greenhouse effect, it has no effect on climate. Scare the public about nuclear? It's a bit too late for that, and unfortunate since it's such an unnecessarily neglected energy resource.

MIlankovitch cycles occur over millennia, recent warming is both more intense and has occurred over the past 200 years

CO2 is a greenhouse gas which means it reflects infrared radiation (heat) from the sun back to the surface, in turn heating the earth (in very basic terms here, if you have any questions ask)

I bring up CO2 as it's the primary factor driving this change in global mean surface temperature, and this proxy-ice core data show's it's rice over the past 1000 years

NASA says global sea levels have been falling for the last couple of years.

Global Cooling is coming. Ice Age.

sorry for the shit quality but this is the actual NASA GISS data, where'd you get this from?
And global cooling? When we're in the middle of the holocene and just suffered a massive burp in CO2 levels and are already experiencing the consequent temperature rise from that? I don't think so.

Your argument is "there are so many humans there must be an effect" and the opposing version of that is "the earth is so big how could humans have such a vast effect?"

Neither is proof.

I would like to see your ideas behind this theory, and how you could support it by ignoring the overwhelming trend shown in the picture you posted

really activates my almonds

The opposing version is just dumb and wrong, it's that simple. We know how much plastic and radiation and oil are being dumped into the ocean. "The earth is big" isn't a statement. Big compared to what? It's still covered in humans farting chemicals into the atmosphere at an accelerating rate as the population grows and fossil fuels remain so commonly used.

the climate system is very delicately balanced, and the amount of greenhouse gases we've poured into the atmosphere is more than enough to overrun sequestration from all the phytoplankton (more effective at photosynthesis than all the worlds forests). The reason is that when we burn coal/oil, we're literally pulling sequestered carbon out of the ground and reintroducing it to the atmosphere in it's gaseous (CO2) form en masse

>melankovich
We can tell where we are by looking at our position relative to the sun. Solar forcing will be dropping off for another several thousand years as we are in the obliquity cycle.

>One reconstruction in central greenland
Light green in pic related is your reconstruction. Ask yourself if its been cherry picked

I think this graph is prettier.
Spot on arguments.

I don't give a shit about it even if humans are the cause because there's not a single proposed plan that would have any measurable impact on it that would be worth the economic chaos it would wreak on any nation that implemented it.

>there's not a single proposed plan that would have any measurable impact on it that would be worth the economic chaos
>He doesn't know about carbon taxes

Why don't you inform yourself instead of relying on the group preassure of Sup Forums

that's a silly thing to say when renewable energy has the highest ROI in the energy market, and even if we pretend climate change isn't real or human influenced, what will we do of the issue that we will run out of non-renewable energy resources by the end of the century? Honestly if you support non-renewables you're a globalist (it's more complex than that but buzzwords are all you need for this board) since you're COMPLETELY DEPENDENT on the oil supply from the middle east - gee I wonder why we've had so many wars there which are now biting us in the ass. All this is thanks to them winning the geology lottery, so there's really no way to escape renewables at this point unless you're a saudi oil magnate.
also
this
and
this but use reliable peer-reviewed sources or you will be lied to

Here's what I meant about that whole energy spiel