Why are so many people experiencing "graduation depression"...

Why are so many people experiencing "graduation depression"? Is it because they realized they all picked shitty degrees and cant find jobs?

Previous thread

>Is it because they realized they all picked shitty degrees and cant find jobs?

yes.
its even worse for SJWs who took the absolute shit tier degrees because they realize nobody gives a shit about anything they've learned in the real world

for me it was mostly the debt but im working on getting a better paying job to pay it off
i guess it motivated me

I think Americans have an unhealthy emotional attachment to higher education. It's just an education folks.

I for one hated uni and am happy to be out of it.

Because going into debt to get a degree in Gender Studies, then knowingly listing said degree on a resume/CV will mark you as an idiot to begin with.

Its not just shitty degrees though. Hard market for most graduates. Although yeah, little sympathy for the arts crowd.

I can find plenty jobs but I can't find a DECENT PAYING job... it's fucking bullshit how they expect multiple years of experience and still pay less than $18 an hr

Students are so used to being told what to do so when that guidance is gone and they are in the world, they have to for the first time think about what to do on their own, and they are not used to it.

I went to tech school and the only jobs I was able to get on graduation paid 2-3 dollars above minimum wage, everyone at the company lived with their parents.

This. That one video of the fat cow saying "It's about making a home" or something and going on about needing safe spaces. You're only there long enough to get your degree and then get out. It's not even a comfortable lifestyle.

It's because in college they are treated like future brilliant scholars and when they get out they realize nobody cares about the patriarchy, you work at a shitty food place and you're $35,000k in debt.

>Why are so many people experiencing "graduation depression"? Is it because they realized they all picked shitty degrees and cant find jobs?
yes. Graduating was the best thing ever, because i studied when i enjoyed. Going to school for anything other than STEM is a huge risk, and even STEM is risky if you don't plan on furthering your BS with a MS or PhD.

>wasting time and money for college
Kek

Major?

economics... I'm getting $14 an hour depositing checks for a mortgage broker

>its nice to be validated
the millennial war cry.

Even people who picked good degrees are getting it because they've spent thousands and thousands of dollars, but every employer wants them to work for free as an unpaid intern. Don't blame it all on "shitty" degrees.

Yes, especially women, who gravitate towards useless majors like gender studies. Problem is, instead of taking accountability for their actions, they blame the patriarchy.

if you have a degree that requires work as an unpaid intern to advance, your field is either saturated or that degree is shitty.

>fighting for Israel
Top Kek

This.

Most likely they never thought about what they really wanted to do for a living, that is also realistic, and just went to college because, "It's what everyone does."

>Why are so many people experiencing "graduation depression"? Is it because they realized they all picked shitty degrees and cant find jobs?
That and they are forced into the real world with doens't tolerate their bullshit or excuses. Spending four, in some cases five, years at a college, thinking that's how everything is. Instead of preparing people, it has become the most sheltered environment you can possibly think of. Then the poor saps that graduated without a plan get the kick in the dick from reality telling them that nobody cares what they think, and that you can't sleep through work like you did class. Then they start looking down the barrel of debt and the fact they are stuck at some dead end job because they didn't have the foresight to think.

I guess everyone has a different scenario but a hard science STEM degree (ME, EE, CE, CS) shouldn't require grad school. I did ME and had an easy time finding multiple job offers. I was about to do a master's in ME but enough research yielded that it wouldn't do very much for my entry level salary. I'm considering going back for Law or MBA, however.

I agree, but STEM is saturated now, especially with BS's, so you have to get a MS or PhD to really stand out. There are job offers for BSs but enough people have an MS or PhD to where they are taking the jobs, as they should, since they are more valuable. But yea, with my biochem BS i could get a pharm rep sales position which would start at 60-70k and easily hit 100k+ within 5 years. But i like learning as opposed to working, so i went the grad school path

>One nobody writes a clickbait article saying post-graduate depression is a thing
>Sup Forums instantly takes it as fact.
Why is everyone here so gullible?

Oh, look, another meme "condition" to be "treated" with hardcore pharmaceuticals.

A lot of times the field isn't saturated when people start their programs. Are they supposed to be fucking psychic?

>having morals
ty 4 my free private college user

Also, a lot of them -- due to all the SJW nonsense on college campuses -- thought they would go on to become these great heroes for the revolution. In reality, they're just average people with average prospects and a whole lot of debt.

yes. I looked into projected job growth in my field when choosing my major. I thought that was a standard practice

i fucking hate uni and I have still four more years before I get my degree in medicine

Meh. I didn't.
I figured that at 60 people in first year with a drop of of 50% per year, and other fields having 300 people in first year I would be pretty safe.
Add to that that computing isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Economics isnt really a field where you can do much with it with just an undergrad degree. I would highly look into going back to school for a masters, then you become pretty valuable to to industry. If not, i would look into accounting and try to become a CPA if you're good with numbers, CPAs make bank

>post graduate depression
That's the real world sweetheart. You got to go to college right out of high school for free, and now you have to start paying for it. The world no longer caters to you and provides you with a free guidance counselor. Time to use those skills am I right?

STEM is much more popular now, and isn't a "golden ticket" anymore (GPA actually matters now whereas in the past all that mattered was just finishing), but calling the job market saturated seems extreme. If STEM is saturated, what field of study isn't?

Yeah I fucked up.

Fell for the "your major doesn't matter" meme and got a double in political science and philosophy. Worst part was I had no interest in teaching.

I'm lucky to have gotten the work I have, mostly just campaign and non-profit stuff. But truthfully if I had never gone to college I could of gotten those same jobs.

I've got one last politics job, 14k for 3 months I can't say no.

But after that I'm seriously considering enlisting or an apprenticeship

I'm not the economics guy.
I have a job.
I did my bachelors, masters, made it part way through PhD.
I put that on hold because of stress related issues.
I was planning to take a 3 month break before looking for a job and working part time on PhD.
Within one month I had a job without even looking.

>tfw had internship and proved myself in my company before graduating
>tfw they didn't care about GPA even though I was Magna Cum Laude in Electrical Engineering

The real problem is that working a white collar job for 40 years fucking sucks. I've only been in for 5 years and it blows donkey dick. upper management are passive aggressive fucks who reap all the profits, all talk no action from most people. I've talked to the older people at work and they say it's the same most other places.
>tfw will never think of a business idea so I don't have to work under someone else

Accounting, Pre-med depending on location, STEM research. Really it's just STEM BSes that are saturated, tons of my friends cannot get jobs with their Biology BS's (they also don't want to work in research labs as techs for 15 or so an hour).
Accounting is by far the best major if you're financially motivated. Actuary work is in very high demand.

Business and Law is still good if you are extremely focused/driven/cutthroat. Those are extremely GPA oriented for success.
oh my bad, for some reason thought you were him. How does working on a PhD part-time work financially, do you have to pay them? I dont think you can even do that where im at, you have to be full time

Don't list your major. Just put BSc or BA and your university

yea GPA is really only a thing for grad school applications. If you plan on entering industry with a bachelors, GPA really doesnt matter past like a 2.5

Here's the college/university red pill:

>The ultimate goal of college/university (for most people) is to get a job. By law, most colleges and universities have to post statistics on their job placement rates per department or per diploma/degree. This information must be publicly available, and is usually found online. Analyze this information and determine which diplomas/degrees have the highest job placement rates. You might need to phone the institution's registrar's office to obtain this information (ask them to mail it to you). You might be shocked to find that some degrees have a post-graduation job placement rate of 20% or less.

>Take a look at the average entry-level salary for jobs after graduating from each degree. Is this enough to pay back your student loans in a practical amount of time?

>If you are going to school locally, or otherwise want to stay and work in your local area, analyze the local job market - what's in demand? Is there an industry that your local area is known for?

>Take a look at the tuition and fees of each degree and each institution. Do a cost-benefit analysis: is it worth X amount of money to take degree Y which has a job placement rate of Z%? How do all of the degrees compare? (HINT: Most degrees, especially non-technical degrees, aren't worth it)

>If possible, choose degrees that include internships/co-ops. While it would be nice if you were compensated financially for your work, consider the experience as the main form of payment. Degrees that include internships typically have much higher job placement rates post-graduation.

>Do not trust the advice of people like parents, family members, even high-school guidance counselors etc... they're almost certainly morons who have no idea what they're talking about... trust the data.

If you can't solve a problem like this, don't feel bad; you probably weren't going to do well enough at school to get a job anyway -- learn a trade!

>law still good
>business still good
Laughable dude.

this is great advice, and what i followed for the most part.

The same reason suicides aren't covered heavily in the news and are referred to as an "overdose" or "fatal accident". That shit is contagious and things are precarious enough as it is.

boomers ruined america. even bluepilled young adults know it. that's why none of them want to leave college until they have like 3 master's degrees.

note that i said you really have to not only have an interest in the subject (passionate) and be willing to play the game, ie be ready to have tons of students try and sabotage you.
I will say im somewhat biased, i have a friend in both law and business and they are doing extremely well but are pretty exceptionally driven people. I would not suggest it for anyone who has any doubts. But yea those fields are fairly saturated with tons of average level students. As long as you are not average, you'll be fine. Same in pre-med. All of this is anecdotal but i do know a lot of people in a lot of different programs

BA International Relations with Honours. Masters in International Affairs from a good school in Europe.

No work for me at the Canuckistani government for me because apparently there are no jobs for white males. Currently working in mind numbing shit, but at least it pays like 45 k a year.

Wasted 6 years studying and I totally had the depression at the end of it, more so when I realised a life of shit jobs outside of my field awaited me.

(Guy you replied to)
Totally with you. I did my first year with a massive corporate company and jumped ship for a much smaller software company in its growth phase. Totally different environment, and somehow they're paying me 10% more than the big boys. Guess my resume suffers slightly for not staying with the brand name but I'll get over it.

>they all picked shitty degrees

lol, fucking strawman for globalist whiteknights.

I like money a lot so I skipped college and got a job as a barback for a few years and then got one as a bartender. Make about 25/hr most nights with tips. Have benefits. Saving up to put a down payment on a house with my girlfriend (also service industry).

You shit on service industry positions so much that I can't help but feel satisfaction when I read stuff like this. I like money so I entered a market where I can make it without worrying about college debts.

There's no fucking golden tickets. Getting a job is all about marketing yourself and making connections, your degree really doesn't matter much unless you're trying to enter a specific field.
Everyone here is always repeating STEM and trade and whatever because they're socially awkward and don't know how to do these things, they just want to find a ticket that gets them a guaranteed job no matter how bad they are at finding one.

>BSc
>STEM major
>2 year internship
>campus job
>managed charity event
>volunteered off and on all 4 years
>high GPA
>fraternity
>clubs
>I know Java, Python, R, SQL

Best I've done a year after graduation is a 6 month temp job

Now I'm unemployed

Go into the trades, do mini split installation on craigslist, make big bucks.

It hasn't been a golden ticket since the late 90s and the DotCom bubble. The "STEM shortage" was pushed by big business and the elites to justify cheaper labor and flooding the West with more migrants.

"stem major"
if you're not an engineering major, you dun goofed

Consider relocating.

Solid point in the accounting. Honestly if I were to do it all over again I'd go after finance. I went to a school that had great placement on Wall Street, and I'm so money-minded now that I've graduated that I don't know what I was thinking. And I get feat you're saying now about the BS. I was thinking more about engineering, you're definitely right that life sciences need a graduate degree. That's been going on for a while now though, I thought.

>Just graduated with a Chemical Engineering degree
>depressed as I won't be able to hang out with my buddies several nights a week.

I understand where they're coming from.

He mentioned he knows a few programming languages - more likely a computer science or software engineering grad.

sfsgfhgghfjhgjhj;hkj

even people that pick good degrees, they pick them because they are told its a right choice, like some beta that thinks if he checkmarks all the right boxes he will be successful, not because its enjoyable and will allow for their ideal lifestyle

>tech school

You need a CS degree to get the good paying programming jobs. Or know someone.

Life sciences just suck as a career

I know a guy with a BSc, a masters, and a PhD making ~$45k in a high cost city

If you actually knew Java, you wouldn't be unemployed.

IME many kiddos coming out of uni say "I know this and I know that" but when you put them in front of and IDE they start shitting themselves.

computational bio

what job did you expect? Seriously though, what did you think was going to happen after graduating?

max par

That's called being pragmatic, and it's part of becoming an adult. Following your dreams is a meme reserved for people born into wealth. If you weren't so lucky, you're smart if you do exactly what you described.

>millennial

msm cuck

I know everything I listed, and I have an active github.

I've sent out about a hundred apps and haven't heard back.

CS is flooooooooded with people right now.

>Air farce
>Fighting
wwwww

Cool it big guy. No ones saying there's a degree that you can graduate with a 2.0 in and get a job just because you finished. Obviously any job market is accessible with networking and connections, but that's a soft assumption that shouldn't necessarily be relied on.

A very highly paid field with great job prospects -- but only in very specific regions. You have to move.

>I have no idea why I feel a loss of identity
>it can't possibly be because I've been taught to hate my own people and culture
>no it can't be because I'm being replaced in my own country
>it must be my college degree
>and my white privilege
>I better support letting in muslims
>maybe take some hormones and cut off my genitals
>I'm sure that and buying more stuff will finally make me happy
>yeah

see? not an engineering degree. engineering and healthcare are the only fields you will never be unemployed in.

I live in Seattle, about as good as it gets for that.

BSc isn't enough when there are so many unemployed PhD's and masters

>gets shitty women studies degree
>wonders why they can't get a job
Welcome to the real world faggot.
God if people are retarded enough to get a shite degree they deserve to be unemployed.

Don't be so sure about it, my best friend went to finances, not accounting but business finances and landed a job for the past 4 years doing risk management for a wall street investment firm. He easily has made over half a million in 4 years including a solid 200k in savings, but he is 100% miserable, by self admission. in his words "man if all you strive for is money, you'll never be happy, you will never have enough". And this is a guy with 200k in savings at 25 years old. I have 5k in my retirement account, no debt as well, but do research in a field i thoroughly enjoy, and wouldnt trade my life for his for anything. He just seems like such a shell of who he once is...

but yes accounting is a huge stealth major no one goes into because "it's boring". Meanwhile my best chick friend from highschool is making 6 figures easily with just a BA in accounting and a CPA cert, and says the work is extraordinarily easy for her.

>never unemployed in engineering
>ElectricalE, MechanicE, ChemE, CivilE, BioE would like to speak to you

yep, it's not for the financially inclined. That being said, you travel around a decent amount, and get taken care of pretty well. But yea, it's not super high paying if you go into the post-doctoral research side. Industry research pays way better though

>A lot of times the field isn't saturated when people start their programs. Are they supposed to be fucking psychic?

It's 4 years. We aren't talking mortgage brokers in 2007 or taxi drivers in 2010. At the rate your country is going, you might as well convert to Islam now

no, it's because 90% of women are not predisposed to the work place

it's become a meme, but their place really is the kitchen. they can't hack the pressure of earning a wage

THis is so true.

I talk to people in HR all the time and they view people with degrees of this nature as problems waiting to happen.

Basically they're dead in the water for any employment that isn't in the public sector.

college is just a daycare for over grown children. It's a place to make friends and have fun, not learn a skill and prepare for the real world. College is nothing more than an excuse to act like a high school kid for 4 more years. The cucks attending them think they can continue behaving like a kid forever and it comes as a shock when this isn't the case.

>Why are so many people experiencing "graduation depression"?
Because in their 22 years of life no one has thought to teach them how to be productive. They weren't even taught they might need to be productive at some point. Now they have to be productive.
That's just 4 of the 22 years of the problem.

Exactly this. It's a place to waste time in, not having to worry about real world.

People get depressed because they leave the safe environment, where they're not really responsible for anything.
When you're in school, you're just going with the flow and everyone tells you that when you graduate, you'll just move to the next place and continue the carefree existence.
>Don't worry about it, we'll just get our papers and it's easy street from there on.
But this doesn't happen and the real world shows it's true colors when you get your degree.
Now it's your turn to take care of things on a daily basis.
No one is telling you where to go or what to do and how to think.
There's also good chance that you're not getting the job you visioned.
People get depressed because they're faced with real responsibilities and the sudden realization that they're really on their own and no one really gives a shit about them.
The school got their money and that's all it ever cared about.
Everything it told them was propaganda to keep them going and the money flowing.

No this is bullshit and fuck everyone that says it.

I barely had fun outside of the weekend. I worked my fucking ass off. I spent my time studying, learning, being productive as fuck.

Then some faggot who "worked" says I fucked off for 4 YEARS.

Work is magnitudes easier and less cognitively active than LEARNING and fighting curves.

I'm fairly convinced HR is the problem for grads, they are jelly people majored in difficult shit.

Party this yes, but also they are quickly finding out the world does not give a single fuck about them, and they never again will be surrounded by other retards that only encourage their shitty behavior. They are figuring out you have to act as a responsible adult to be treated as one or you will be quickly dismissed.

I stay the fuck away from computation because the shelf-life of such degrees are garbage.

Yeah if you're not from Berkeley or Stanford you pretty much have no chance landing a job in the bay area
>t. speaking from experience

you're wrong, it's about the major. Not all degrees are useless. But most offered are not geared towards specific employment, which is a problem. But college taught me great skills utilizable in the workforce, like how to run certain analytical instruments, which is a basic need in any chemistry lab.

I agree a little. The fundamentals are 100% useful, but the language you deploy them in will shift. Luckily syntax is simple as fuck to learn, and data structures/algos don't really change as often as the hot new language of the moment.

Lol, free college for pay. I'll be super depressed when this gravy train ride ends.

As a pre-med student, I'm not statistically likely to experience this type of depression. Unless I'm a failure, in which case my credits will transfer to dentistry and I will be suicidal as fuck.

in his defense, computational bio will probably only gain more traction, a lot of the tools used in biochem/biology experiments produce enormous amounts of data which need to be sorted/interpreted, and a lot of those algorithms still need to be ran. But i agree it's a little too specific of a field for my liking, similar to BME

Either med school or research until med school.

But I'm cis white and Christian.

> and a lot of those algorithms still need to be ran
*still need to be written*

I have a BA in Economics... what do I do now

This thread isn't about you. This thread is about the people who fucked off for 4-5 years after fucking off the previous 18 years. They are the ones with depression about suddenly having to be productive.

You're right about HR, though. Fuck HR with a rake.