Is engineering a meme degree?

Going to graduate next year with BS in mechanical engineering. Now that many of my peers are graduating and I am networking with alum, I was surprised at just how soul-sucking the engineering industry is. Most people I know that have found work fucking hate their job and are doing little more than brainless intern work with modelling software. Most people, I think, are sold on the idea of making new things that help people or advance civilization in some meaningful way. The reality is that they will contribute a small part in making something already designed x percentage more efficient than the old model. For 99% of them, there is no hands-on experience. They will never see their own products. It's an empty and dull experience. And the amount of corporate shilling is disgusting. Engineering companies are often the worst when it comes to Jew-like tactics and SJW policies. What do you lot think?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0krR5BiXw94
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Enjoy your corporate grind earning shit money paying off your expensive student loans.

Jokes on you I have no loans with an aerospace degree

Enjoy your nojobs. Aerospace is literally a meme degree.

nah, law is one of the most meme "serious" degrees. the amount of women that enroll in law school only to advertise their vaginal status is overwhelming.
t. disillusioned law student with no friends

No loans to pay off. My father is paying for everything. Try again.

Did an internship at a small-scale chemical plant. Pay was good, bosses were fair, but working in an office has got to be one of the most monotonous, soul-crushing experiences of my life. Best thing you can do is work at a place that demands a balance between hands on work and office work. Hell of a lot more enjoyable when I got to go out to the plant and operate on reactors rather than just draw schematics for the pipe lines.

ayy shit kid, your summer is really showing. let me just put this into perspective for you:
>nuh uh! My dad's paying for it so fuck off you're wrong!
Literally translates to: I'm a weak ass bitch that couldn't make it in this world without my family, so to deflect your argument I'm going to stand behind my family.
Kid, do something real with you're life. If you're debt free - great. Now learn how to become a man, stand on your own, and all that money you saved by not having to go into debt....you should probably figure out how to fuck ZOG with it.

>I was surprised at just how soul-sucking the engineering industry is.
To understand machine you must become one, and machines don't have souls yet.

Some of the technicians working under your direction will make more money than you due to overtime. You will be salary.

pretty much, yes. most engineering jobs are trash-tier. did engineering undergrad but got burned out on the same aspects. glad I became applied math master race.

> dat pic
> dem wymyn
> none fuckable

>They will never see their own products.

Make your own products you whining cunt.

It's cheaper and easier than ever to do 3D modelling and printing, molding and casting at home or setting up production in China for pennies.

Pick the right workplace and you're getting free experience toward making your own products on work hours. Network with people sideways. Know the economics team and the production side, they're all full of people looking for more meaningful work later.

Yep, has been for decades. Aerospace is the Liberal Arts of Engineering, until Environmental Engineering became the Art Degree of Engineering.
You're saying that Engineering is a social networking degree like Law or Art.
You do not need an education to do any of the things you listed. The discipline for more abstract engineering like the math side is still supreme in college.
>doing what you say makes you a Maker.
Why would you pay $100k USD to be a Maker? Just join the local MakerSpace.

> none fuckable
Every single one of those girls is literally the 1980s comedy-movie nerd/hot girl who take off her glasses and flops her hair around and becomes a fuckable sex-doll.
>whether they do it or not is the question.
don't fall for the makeup Jew user.

same for law

medicine might be better but idk, get robots to do that shit soon anyway

Similar with computer science/programming, you have to have the lifestyle of an autistic freak in order to stay competitive with the nolifes that the industry is flooded with, not to mention the cheap 3rd world programmers dragging wages down. Its a recipe for misery for non-autistic non-poopoors.

>You're saying that Engineering is a social networking degree

No you fucktard I'm saying that will help you build ties for free. You can do all this shit on your own you just need an investor and an idea worth investing in. Knowing people who already know manufacturing, marketing, production will help you, but it's not necessary.

> The discipline for more abstract engineering like the math side is still supreme in college.

Who the fuck cares about college? I thought you said you dreamt of producing things and making a change?

>Why would you pay $100k USD to be a Maker?

If you're saying an amateur maker is as able to make functional products as you are, you're really only shitting on your own degree.

Graduated with BS in ChemE. Unemployed after 7 months of job searching.
The best advice I can give you is to suck a fucking dick in order to get an internship. Nobody will even fucking look at you unless you have intern experience.

I am doing chemical engineering am i going to get fucked?

If you're a white male trying to get into engineering, LOL good fucking luck.
Vid related is from a company called Schlumberger, the largest oil services company in the world. They held a contest to find the most interesting student employee video, and THIS was the winner.
youtube.com/watch?v=0krR5BiXw94
If you're not a chick or a shitskin, you're not getting in.

Everything will become a dull job, from McDonald's to Microsoft, if you are run by big corporations. What do you think it would happen when small businesses are dead and all working for big companies? Surely no innovation, you are there to solve problems the big companies can join together into their product, which product you will in best case scenario improve and sell or do some analysis and modeling. Your job in monopoly business is to glue corporate programs together people already use, to basically connect Facebook into your own toilet so it can watch you when you take a shit.

>They held a contest to find the most interesting student employee video

>Companies are so overloaded with applicants they're doing talent shows to find "interesting" candidates.

Sounds like the only solution is open borders, H1B visas and more work applicants. What could go wrong? Buy more houses millennials, LOL!

They employ illegals because they cost less and they can get 2 people for price of one or even more. That's also why they don't care destroying other country's economies, since that lowers the worker prices there and surely they will work for less as migrants. Germany is doing that in EU, they want everybody to move to Germany, so Germany can become the only production house in Europe, everybody else can in best case scenario work in main city where all the offices of companies have moved.

>They employ illegals because they cost less and they can get 2 people for price of one or even more.

Questionable. Every outsourcing project I've seen ended up in tears because the pooinloos are cheaper on the salary sheet but cause endless problems with incompetence and corner cutting not to mention troubleshooting is near impossible due to language and culture barriers.

> That's also why they don't care destroying other country's economies, since that lowers the worker prices there

Yes, except when we're all ruined and replaced with robots and migrants, who is going to buy the McGuffin?

> Germany is doing that in EU, they want everybody to move to Germany

Except the amount of people at work after 14 years is about half, and that includes 2hour/week supermarket jobs. So it's always going to be a net loss, and massive loss at that.

You got all the details wrong and nothing in your theory makes sense. Keep at it though.

Just so you don't think I'm just being an asshole I don't think there is an answer to be found. I've thought about this for years and read what there is to read in different perspectives.

All I can conclude is that we're at this stage not by some grand master plan, because no explanatory model makes sense, other than the boring answer. A series of short sighted and self interested decisions made by fallible humans that collectively lead us toward disaster.

It really seems to be that dull. Not a bang, but a whimper.

People are working, they just don't have contracts with companies. Every home repair electrician or construction worker in EU is an illegal doing illegal work. That's no taxes for country, debt growing, that is beneficial for personal gains or corporation gains. Problem is they don't hire people forever, which they should, with every worker and then educate them at work. They instead switch people around every few months to not pay them vacation, insurance and less salary, which is the unemployment you talk about. World should ban companies spreading beyond 1 town, you would have innovation in every town and you would have new companies in every town. Now the work is dull because everybody and everything in tickling down into own anus, you are eating anus, you are working with anus, surely you will become gay from mental illness at work.

>People are working, they just don't have contracts with companies.

Long term the problem is - simplified:

Megacorp hires illegals and migrants to do Paul's job at 1/10 the cost. Megacorp sees net gain. But Paul isn't getting paid anymore, or he has reduced hours. Thus his disposable income is smaller. Paul isn't just a worker at Megacorp, he's also a consumer. But now Paul doesn't buy a new iPhone or Megacorp McGuffin.

A few years down the line Megacorp starts complaining because people aren't buying as much as they used to. Megacorp needs to increase profits. So Megacorp gets robots and AI to do the job of migrants for 1/1000th of the cost. Wonderful! Profits!

A few years down the line Megacorp sees record losses. Oy vey, what can have happened! It must be that businesses just didn't get enough state subsidies. Global downturn, mega-recession, bad end.

This is our current trajectory. At every stage Megacorp seems to be acting in its own interests but every step they take is just another toward their own demise.

This is why they're starting to talk seriously about UBI. Not because they would ever give up a shekel for free, but because they need alternative ways of sustaining a consumer base. Without debt and consumers everything we built the current societal model on collapses.

> World should ban companies spreading beyond 1 town

This is sort of one solution. It's an extreme version of breaking up Megacorp. Tarriffs is another attempt at keeping enough jobs to pay for the stuff of the future (things cost more but more people have jobs so more people can afford things).

But as money congeals so does power. Corporations own politicians and they've unified so much there's just 5-6 companies at most in the big industries. I don't know if it's even possible to break that apart.

This - unless you go to an elite law school in your country you are fucked - and if you go to an elite law school you are likely fucked.

desu I am studying math at a top-tier uni and I am considering getting myself diagnosed with autism to get a job down the disability route

With the push for women going into STEM, it isn't a logical avenue in the current year. Gongrats if you can make it through and find a good job however.

Perhaps I should have went into it and I would have got out early last decade before the SJW shit ramped up. I'm too old anyways to start from the absolute bottom now as I don't have a GED or anything and the outlook of the economy looks rather bleak.

I've been working the same retail job for 11 years now. While I gross $30k annually, my net wages are abysmal. At least I have no student debt or any debts for that matter. I've seen enough boom and bust cycles to stick with the sure thing.

Work sucks, what do you expect? You think that is soul crushing? What makes you think any of the other jobs you can get out there are any better? they can be just as bad, but they pay worse. Work isn't supposed to be fun, its supposed to be productive.

Yeah, we all wish we had the awesome job of designing a product or even a piece of a product from the ground up, building proto-types and testing it, but that just isn't reality. Only at small companies and start ups is that possible, and if you work there then you will have hellish 80 hour work weeks and if you fail to do something on time the company goes under and you are out of a job.

Is every degree and type of employment a meme to you people? What type of education or employment isn't a meme?

I've always have and always will love the transportation industry. From delivering pizza to hauling big rigs. My 14 years of work was great and I was lucky to have a few close calls (drivers ignoring my blind spot). Never made less than $28k, never made more than $66k. But working part-time at my uncle's BBQ pit eatery now while earning passive income is alright.
Good luck to you and don't rely on a "pension", you never know if they'll siphon and raid it.

You can't expect to walk out of college and straight into a great engineering job. You have to prove you can deliver the goods in the real world, and that means you have to put more time in.
And why did you think you'd be working on something revolutionary from the get go? Most inventions are small improvements on existing products. People have made millions by finding tiny improvements.
And every so often you will stumble across something surprising or have a great idea, and then you're well placed to act on it.

>the pooinloos are cheaper on the salary sheet but cause endless problems with incompetence and corner cutting not to mention troubleshooting is near impossible due to language and culture barriers.
and perhaps to a lesser degree, there are similar problems with manufacturing stuff in china

Engineering is a great career, provided you actually like engineering. If you find the corporate jjobs soul-crushing (which they indeed ttend to be), make your own company and build your own product- it's much more exciting. Also note that networking with other dudes who have similar interests will make your entrepreneural life much easier.

nah. BSc/M engineering in mechanics, electro and constructions are are versatile degrees that will remain in demand for the foreseeable future. don't know about the supply of fresh graduates over there though, might be a bit more competition there than here. also, these degrees are excellent foundations for either a PhD or to get onto the executive/administrative ladder.

mindless, boring and repetitive tasks are a given if you end at bachelors level though.
>The reality is that they will contribute a small part in making something already designed x percentage more efficient than the old model.
this is just science though. i have a colleague who is doing a PhD in chemical engineering (don't get into chemistry), and his project is basically to boost the yield of large-scale syntheses of some ionic liquids from ~60% to upper 90s.

and yes, the corporate shilling is disgusting. however, if you get into academia you'll see the shilling and circlejerking ramped up to beyond next level.

if i were to do education all over again i'd get into constructional engineering. or mechanics, since i know i could've landed an epic job in that field

>Looks at flag... mechanical engineering, kek.

Hey, I'd be much nicer about this in person.. but. Seriously man, wtf does anyone need a mechanical engineer for?

>Designing cars
All done. Don't need any more
>Aircraft design!?
Not needed
>Designing a new type of pump?
Nope, China makes everything to spec, no need to reinvent the wheel.

Basically everything is invented, and designed and being built in China or wherever is cheapest. Your ideas are no doubt going to be unoriginal and not needed. As are your opinions on mechanical engineering in general, I'd rather speak to someone like a metal worker or mechanic.

If I actually want to talk about say, car design or better ways to do things like engine coolant routing. I'm crapping on here, point is; you spent 4 years in extended high school to enter industries that don't need you.

You were tricked into it by society, hopefully universal basic income kicks in soon cos this isn't going to change.

Here's an idea, prove the earth isn't flat. That'll get you fame and shekels.

You can't do it tho.

>automation is going to boom
>no use for mechanical engineers
KEK

You can do anything you want with an engineering degree.
If you didn't know anything about the industry why did you get the degree?
You don't have to work 80 hours a week doing monkey jobs.
You can work at a small firm, specialized, if you have a passion for it and are experienced in a sector.

I honestly don't understand why kids just sign up for university and get a degree in some random shit they think will make them money with no experience in anything relating to it. Those are the people that "can't find work" and get stuck with mind numbing jobs. That or they just never liked it in the first place so they find it dull.

Engineering is only a meme for people that shouldn't be there in the first place.

>Most people I know that have found work fucking hate their job and are doing little more than brainless intern work with modelling software.
That's what the industry is unironically like.

Enjoy.

No, we literally don't need u guys.

Car engines are all ancient designs, so are the chassis's etc (Google Volkswagen modular chassis)

Aircraft are f35 tier, as in total jokes. Money raising jokes, not; 'lets build a fucking sick jet with lasers and extra guns'

What is it, that engineers actually do?? Serious question, all of the electrical engineers I've met believe in solar (lol)

The mechanical believe in Prius cars being a good idea, again.. wtf

And the last civil engineer I met basically project managed in construction. No design, no innovation, no nothing. Seriously, you could just learn that shit on the job.

The university part is the waste of time, hmm... perhaps university is a scam?

Civil engineering isn't mechanical engineerng. They aren't even remotely similar.
And some civil engineers do extensive designing. My mom was a civil engineer for a city.
Mechanical engineers design and optimize. You need the school so that you're accredited in material science, physics, and dynamics. Of course you can learn it on your own, but no one will hire you.. That can be said for literally anything.

Engineering a shit where my Act. Sci. boys at?

>Seriously, you could just learn that shit on the job.
agreed, in general i think a lot more education/acquiring of skills should be done in a work-situation rather than at university.

but, there are uses for mechanical engineers, atleast here. for example, my brother-in-law works in a company that delivers automation solutions for large companies worldwide. in june they hired a bunch of graduates to design custom parts for an upgrade to some car factory.

also, my nephew recently graduated with a bachelor in mechanics engineering and got a decent job right away in a team designing and testing parts for a new reactor that, according to the patent, extracts silicon in higher yield and purity than most reactors currently on the market.

>What is it, that engineers actually do?? Serious question, all of the electrical engineers I've met believe in solar (lol)
Some Mech Engs I know have gone to manufacturing, doing plebeian tier R&D jobs like testing engineer or process engineering where they spend their days optimizing material and work flows in ERP systems and in RL (practically speaking, rearranging factory floors).

A lot of the people I work with just work on systems that are invisible to the consumer, like
>building automated analytics systems to profile customer behavior in web portals
>writing automation software to allow integrations between legacy, 3rd party modern systems
>improving/rewriting ERPs
All this is to make profit. 90% of it all revolves around removing human intervention in processes and producing data to identify and monetize patterns that are naturally imperceptible to humans.

It's actually rather amazing that it's actually profitable.

I got into IT after doing a 6 week course many years ago, I really like science people and my language has been a bit provocative for no good reason (been drinking)

It just frustrates me how modern engineering appears to be same shit in a newer cheaper body. Brutalist architecture/buildings, literally 30+ year old car designs being sold as something new, and obviously aviation.

How did this happen.. pic related is also what I'm trying to say. It's like everyone is sitting around having a wank and not actually doing any innovating or inventing.

When was the last time a class of engineering students blew themselves up making a rocket!? It's just so dull

Everything IS a meme

Go talk to a Navy recruiter.
They'll pay off whatever loans you have, in exchange for 5 years of service.
3 years sea duty, 2 years shore duty.
At which point, you'll have 5 years experience MANAGING an engineering plant.
Then go work where ever you want.

>BS
clue in the name, is

Yes. You basically got it right. Especially a BS is a meme.

However, you're still young and some sort of education is always a good start. Start with some real job and learn new skills. Good communication, leadership, conflict resolution... learn to know what is troubling your boss. Or his boss. You will have plenty of opportunities, I.e. Climbing up the corporate ladder or starting an own business.

I'd say degrees do not matter in the long run. It's some sort of entry point but there are always plenty other. (There are of course exceptions, like law and medicine..)

If you are graduating with zero experience it might as well be a meme. Get an internship or you're fucked.

It's because most people aren't smart enough to create amazing new world-changing products.

You are smart enough to manage a cog in the wheel of the design of an incrementally improved boat. So that's what you are doing. Now do it.

It's not a meme, it's an open door that gives you a shot at a good career.

If you are afraid of the grind, try working in a plant or factory: very hands on, you own the shit you do, and pay is usually pretty good.