Opinions on the greek orthodoxy?

>opinions on the greek orthodoxy?
>any practitioners?
> is it worth pursuing as a greekfag

Pls respond senpaitachi, preferably greeks

Other urls found in this thread:

organicallycooked.com/2016/02/greece-with-simon-reeve-bbc.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes it is worth pursuing. Especially if you are Greek.

Why? What is special about it over regular catholicism or christianity? I am seriously considering practicing a religion

Orthodoxy is the only way to go if you're a Christian.

I was raised Catholic but became atheist as a teen. Now in my early 30s, I attended a few Greek Orthodox services after reading the very good pic related. I also abided by their fasting rituals for several months. Recommended. The fasting is reasonable and clears the mind (it's essentially "don't eat for pleasure" a couple of times per week). The services unfold at a slow, meditative pace, those in attendance are dressed up, and the churches are beautiful, like Catholic ones.

Greek Orthodoxy is the only one that hasn't changed the words of the new testament or practice of Christianity for 1.700 years (since Christianity was legalized).
It is essentialy pure Christianity without bending to the fucking pope.

You sound lost
Pretty much, just don't go halfway lukewarm Christian if you desire progression/happyness.

Use philosophy as your tool to master your material world and perception of it and Religion to find your spiritual answers. Two of the same but that's my general advice and outlook.

Happy to answer questions about the faith

Φίλε μου, είσαι Έλλην Ρωμιός, απόγονος των Βυζαντινών. Φυσιkά kαι είσαι Ορθόδοξος. Άλλωστε είναι η πιο ελεύθερη μορφή Χριστιανισμού!

not lost, my parents were just garbage and lost their tradition, I'd like to bring it back, though im only greek on my fathers side, my mom is italian but i dont like italian culture.
Could you point me in the right direction?
I dont speak greek, but I will learn down the road.

Greek "Orthodoxoy" is a religion invented by the Medieval Greek Empire. It's a construction used by the Emperor to control religion in his realm. It's even worse today, with all its top clergymen having to be approved by various Mohammedan states such as Turkey. It's not as bad as Protestantism, but that's not really saying much.

>I dont speak greek, but I will learn down the road.
He says "My friend, you are a Hellene Romios, descendant of the Byzantines. Of course you are Orthodox. After all, it is the most liberal form of Christianity!"

He's both right and wrong with that. Greek Orthodoxy's theology is actually the strictest of all (in Protestantism, there are actually Lesbian Muslim priests, for example). However, it's the most liberal in its expectations of you, and I think that's what he means. Greek Orthodoxy doesn't preach life guidelines in detail. It's a more spiritual experience you just have to get in tune with.

If you're Greek, I definitely recommend it. Just go to a Greek Orthodox church in your area in August 15th or some other "hot" date. It's a joy to be around fellow Greeks and enjoying a divine service that celebrates your ancestral and cultural roots. It's a religion that does nothing to hide its imperial legacy.

Also, definitely agree with . Don't expect religion to give you detailed guidelines on how to live your life. That's philosophy's job. Greek Orthodoxy's philosophy is an evolution of 3rd Century Neoplatonism, but it's compatible and accepts all classical philosophy one way or another.

Ah, as for qustions, what would change within my life if I were to take the philosophy and teaxhings to heart? How does it differ from say, a non denom sect? I used to go there when I was young and found it pussified and uninspiring.

Perhaps, the Eastern Roman Empire had Christainity banned initially but Constantine legalized it which was when the religion took a turn some would say for the worst. It allowed for lukewarm Christians to exist.

Besides that its still a beautiful Religion and nothing on earth is immune from the charm or corruption of man
Honestly, if you arnt born into the faith you have to go through an extended probationary period very rigorous and intense so first call your local church or better yet just take a look around and talk to the priest.

If you are baptized then go to a Sunday service and ask the priest after the service if he knows a confessing father. He'll set you tasks and goals e.t.c

Apart from that read and pray. Start with desert father's.

Good luck

Ah, thanks for the insight my friend, this sounds like a privilege to experience. I already life my life to certain philosophies, it is a void of spirituality that I am experiencing, and I figuring returning to my roots would make the most sense and bring me the most fulfillment. It would also help to keep greek tradition intact in a time where the fatherland is incredibly weak..

I see Greek Orthodox "philosophy" only taking affect when you go balls deep with the Religion, Monastic type stuff. Not to say you can't be devout unless your a monk, but even living in society you are called to be "monastic". As for the affects in your life the spiritual father's say your heart is filled with a warm sweet honey. Indescribable but that's for you to work out. Essentially weak before God, Strong before men/the world.

by born into the faith do you just mean baptisim? in which case I have been baptized. Is there anything else? Also, how do I show proof of baptism?

Thanks for the insight.

Why are you making things up? Christianity is the Roman Empire's religion, and thus Greek Orthodoxy is the oldest and truest existing form of it. The Pope's new religion is fine for what it is, but it was created for the Franks, who never had anything to do with Rome. I honestly don't see where the debate is. The empire had an official religion since 380 AD, before the Great Schism, and it never changed it until the fall in 1453. So, what is your argument based on?

By the way, what "Medieval Greek Empire" are you talking about? Alexander's Empire was in the antiquity, and there wasn't any Greek Empire after that.

Haha we don't go around asking for ID Cards or anything but your parents should have records. Anyone can attend a service its more for participating in communion, which you should hold off on until a confessing father gives you the OK. Make sure he speaks English.

No problem

Pure Christianity except they ignore the Bible.

The Bible wasn't very important originally. The religion becomes less, not more "pure" by increasing the Bible's importance or even going "sola scriptura". The most important part of the original Christianity is sacred tradition, which is ignored in western Christianity, and especially Protestantism.

Protestantism is essentially Messianic Judaism, and I think that's fine, but don't try to make it sound as if it's a more "pure" version of Christianity. Christianity is simply Rome's medieval religion, so Orthodoxy is the closest you can get to it as it was originally.

If you want more niggers flooding your lands then ok religion.
organicallycooked.com/2016/02/greece-with-simon-reeve-bbc.html
>As for that quip by the monk: "Orthodoxy without Greece can survive but Greece without Orthodoxy cannot survive", keep in mind the bullshit that the gun-toting priest from Crete said about nationalism in the first part of the BBC documentary

The Orthodox compiled the Bible. Bible didn't exist as we know it for first 300 years after Christ. The Church is the repository of the faith. The Bible is its text. A tool for instruction like holy tradition.

Orthodox cristian greek here. Degenerate things like transgenderism and 3rd wave feminism are a joke.

>33 After they arrived at Capernaum and settled in a house, Jesus asked his disciples, “What were you discussing out on the road?” 34 But they didn’t answer, because they had been arguing about which of them was the greatest. 35 He sat down, called the twelve disciples over to him, and said, “Whoever wants to be first must take last place and be the servant of everyone else.”
Convenient whoever wrote that leaves out the rest of the passage. Christ didn't say "lol Peter is da best, fuck da rest".

I attended a few services while doing an internship in Memphis (out in the rural area I usually live in is only Protestant churches) and despite being in the middle of a city that's only like 35% white, almost the entire congregation was white, and all the young couples had 2-4 blond hair blue eyed kids. Actual service kind of drags on and makes your feet hurt, but compared the Jesus suffering on the cross I suppose it's the least I can do to not complain.

If when I graduate, the city I move to has one, I will definitely consider fully converting.

a couple of laughing popes don't strenghten your message, they weaken it , noone sees a few amused cucks as a persuassive figure

Schismatic and borderline obscurantist, but still leagues better than degenerate Protestantism.

ah the albania faggot who lives in russia, albanian hatriad for or their neighbouring countries can only come from being the most backwards one and butt of all balkan jokes