Catholic priest - AMA and self-actualization

>ACTUAL CATHOLIC PRIEST HERE
After being a longtime lurker on /pol, I did a few AMAs here recently that went really well. I know that there are a lot of people here with the right ideas, but they seem to have trouble connecting them to real life. It can feel pretty lonely in the world when you’ve had your fill of red pill, but you see no hopeful way to effect change. Most of all, you feel that you cannot even improve yourself. How can a man change the world if he cannot change himself? As a priest for several years, I’ve spent a great deal of time with people who are suffering from any number of problems, but the issue of connecting what someone wants to be with the motivation to actually do it seems to be a near universal problem. In the course of my ministry I have found a simply and gentle path to begin to truly change. I would like to share this with you all. I do not claim to have invented these methods. I have incorporated several ideas from a number of books (some of which I will recommend) and tried them out in real life to see how they play out in real experience.
First of all, a little about me. I am a diocesan priest in the western US. I am in my late 30s/early 40s.
Naturally, the ideas that I propose will be best applied within a Catholic context. Some ideas you will be able to modify depending on your beliefs. Other ideas less so.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/0KSOMA3QBU0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I am going to be posting on /pol several times over the next month or so, each time covering a number of topics. All in all, I believe that the day-to-day commitment to reaching your full potential will take about two hours. However, one can build up to that slowly.
>But what does this have to do with politics?
Politics is about moving from correct ideas to correct actions with a mind to changing the world around us. The change naturally must begin within. The false systems of the world, neo-liberal globalism, Islam, (((critical theory))) all utilize their own methods, each of which is dragging our civilization into annihilation.
>You just used ((())). Are you an anti-semite?
No. I do not hate Jews. Rather, I love them and want them to embrace the one True Faith. However, the JQ is real and timely as ever. I cannot recommend enough the Culture of Critique. Read it and swallow that red pill.

As I’ve mentioned before, Catholicism is the only coherent system capable of combating the competing totalitarianisms that plague our world. Furthermore, the greatest thing that Catholicism has going for it is that it is true. In addition to the self-actualization program that I will lay out, I will try to explain WHY Catholicism is true. I will lay out proofs for God’s existence, the historical reality of Jesus Christ, and why Catholicism is the one true faith vis-à-vis Protestantism and other sects.

I will try to cover the following topics over the next month or so:
1. How does one motivate oneself to DO something? I know what I want to do, but how do I actually DO it?
2. Education. Reading the right books and otherwise training the mind.
3. Physical health. How to lose weight, get strong and feel well (more of a /fit thing, I know)
4. Finances. Getting out of debt and being financially free.
5. Romance. How to find a worthy spouse who is loving, faithful and pure.
>Why can’t you talk about romance first?
Because you need to fix yourself first. I’m not going to teach you how to meet a woman, just to have her come over when you still need to CLEAN YOUR ROOM. To give you hope though, I will say this: my method for meeting the right woman, where to find her, etc. has proven to be pretty successful. I’ve actually married couples who have met and married following my method. However I should point out that this will work best if you are Catholic, or at least Christian. (It will also work best for Americans. Sorry).
>But what is your expertise in these areas? How does being a priest mean you know anything about fitness?
There are some areas where I will recommend resources more than anything. However, the key is to apply the method for motivation. There are countless books in the how-to area, but the real issue is motivation.

Today I’m going to start with the first topic. How does one motivate oneself to actually do what one needs to do? As I mentioned, this is a simple and gentle path and is actually pretty easy. Even though I’ll try to answer questions about the method I propose, this can also be an AMA thread. I don’t mind.

First, it only makes sense to be clear about what one needs/wants to change. Areas in this regard may include sleeping enough/at the right time, quitting drugs/alcohol/smoking, eating healthy, enriching the mind, etc. You should right all of these things out in a journal. One thing that is very important, is that you right out very specific, measurable goals. I can’t stress this enough. Don’t just say “I want to lose weight.” Say “I want to get down to 170 pounds.” It is very important that you write these goals out in a way that is measurable, so that you know for sure whether or not you have accomplished it. It is also important that you THINK BIG. Don’t hold back. Imagine your ideal self and write out clearly what that will look like.

No proof?

Having written out your goals, pick one that you are going to pursue first. To be clear up front, you are NOT going to simply pursue one at a time. You are going to start with one, but you will add others later. An example goal may look like this: I want to read to develop my intellect for a half-hour a day. This is a good goal, and one that over time would prove fruitful, provided you are reading the right books. Another goal might be this: I want to quit smoking. Also a good goal. You can’t defend yourself against Antifa if you’re wheezing and coughing.

Of what? That I'm a real priest?

Having written out your goals, pick one that you are going to pursue first. To be clear up front, you are NOT going to simply pursue one at a time. You are going to start with one, but you will add others later. An example goal may look like this: I want to read to develop my intellect for a half-hour a day. This is a good goal, and one that over time would prove fruitful, provided you are reading the right books. Another goal might be this: I want to quit smoking. Also a good goal. You can’t defend yourself against Antifa if you’re wheezing and coughing.
Having chosen a goal, you are now going to chose an ACTION. An action is something which helps one achieve their goal. Like the goal, the action item must also be something that is measurable, so that you can be sure whether you accomplished it or not. And here is the most important part of this whole thing: you must choose an action item that is EASY. I can’t stress enough how important this is. The whole success or failure of this endeavor will hinge on whether or not you pick something easy. I can easily demonstrate why. Consider the New Year’s resolution. Every year, people pour into gyms on the first of January and go at it on the machines and weights, but the gyms return to their usual numbers by about mid-February. This is because people set out a huge goal and they feel no sense of accomplishment. They set the bar so high that failure is inevitable. Then they are even less inclined to try as before. The point of choosing an easy goal, is that you will constantly feel the joy of accomplishment. This is a very important psychological experience. For those who go to the gym to “look strong,” they’ve set themselves up to feel no sense of accomplishment until they get a body that takes perhaps a few years to attain. If you feel constant accomplishment, you will be continually propelled along.

So an action time for the reading goal listed above may look like this: I will read for five minutes a day. You may say, “but what good is reading for just five minutes? That’s only a couple of pages.” You are right – it is only a couple of pages. But it is crucial to start small. But I actually wouldn’t choose this action item: I would actually recommend make the action EVEN EASIER. I would write the action item thus: I will read for five minutes a day for five days a week. This allows some room for failure (also important). If you create an action item in such a way that there is no room for error, you are setting yourself up for failure. If you say you will read for five days a week, you have two days you can miss.
>Can I go beyond my action item? Can I read more, for example?
Sure, but I actually wouldn’t go too far ahead at first. Just do what you set out to do.
>But what if I fail at the very easy action item I have chosen?
Just write an even EASIER goal. Read five minutes a day for two days a week.

yes

After THREE WEEKS of accomplishing your action item, you may now do one of two things: you may augment the action item or you may add a new action item for a new goal, writing it in the usual easy-to-accomplish manner. DO NOT say, “but this is too easy! Why not just read for 20 minutes to start…” The KEY is to make it TOO EASY – not to make it “just right.” This is absolutely essential.
>But this manner of doing things moves too slow
It is better to move slow and deliberate. You will succeed that way. For example, any doctor will tell you that those who lose weight slowly keep it off better than those who lose weight quickly.

A special note for Catholics: Ultimately, it’s not about “improving ourselves.” We know that God’s Grace is a powerful force in our life. For all Catholics, I recommend these three things as an absolute foundation for any growth. 1. Pray every day, especially the Rosary. 2. Go to Mass every Sunday (as well as for every Holy Day of Obligation). 3. Go to confession every few months. If you fall into serious sin, go at the next opportunity.

I considered taking a pic of my degrees, but obviously my name/grad year/the school name etc. are all on there. But you can try hitting me with a question or something. I think I could prove it to you pretty quickly.

I can tell you that I got an MDiv and an STB, the latter through a Roman seminary. I was a transitional deacon for about six months before my priestly ordination.

Blur out the names with a timestamp.

I'll tell you what - my degrees are at home, but I'm in my clerics. I'll post a pic with a timestamp...

Is there any hope for Christianity against Islam, father?

St Simon of Trent... Was that just propaganda or is this something that still goes on today within secret societies as mentioned in 'conspiracy theories' today?

OK here's me

Yes! If we return to the faith, I have no doubt that Islam will be defeated. I'll tell you what is going on in Europe, and to a lesser extent, the US. Just as the Israelites ceased to be faithful and were overtaken by the Babylonians and Persians, etc etc, so too will Europe be taken over if they do not repent and follow Christ. It is the same thing that has always happened. Nothing new

Most likely a lot of those cases (there was a Hugh of St. Lincoln as well, if I remember) were exaggerations, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen for real in some cases.

I've also been encouraged by the Identitarian movement. I also understand that much younger people ("gen z") have been more likely to reject the PC culture of their older millenials. This is a good sign as well. One thing is for sure, we will not survive if we do not try.

Interesting. What is demonic possession? Have you ever done an exorcism and what is involved?

And if pic related is true (which I believe it is), there is definitely hope. I believe the hard times are coming, if demographic changes suggest anything.

I have done minor exorcisms. I should point out that there are a couple of different grades leading up to possession. On the first level is temptation, to which we are all subjected. Following this is obsession, when a demon can cause great suffering to a person without actually possessing them. Thirdly there is true possession. I have done minor exorcisms in the later two cases, referring those who seemed to be truly possessed to an exorcist who has been given special faculties by his bishop. I know a few exorcists and YES it is real.

READ THIS BOOK. It will blow your mind. I've met this exorcist a few times.

Catholic here. Was considering lay orders, just to give you an idea of how devout Inwas. Past tense. I have not been to Mass in 18 months. I become physically enraged at the mere thought of our "pontiff" who champions the conquest by Muslims of soil countless Christians does defending. I cannot approach the altar per Matthew 5:21-24 due this anger with my brother.

Wat do?

Am STRONGLY considering going Eastern Orthodox for my sanity. Plus I find their liturgy beautiful and the concept of theosis sensible.

I share your great disappointment with our current holy father. Are you familiar with the St Gallen mafia?
I have come to believe that it is entirely possible that Pope Francis may be a precursor to the false prophet (he is most certainly not the false prophet himself). There are scriptures which suggest that a great apostasy may happen towards the end. But Christ assures us that - right when it seems that goodness have failed - he will reclaim His Church.

Is this Katy pretty video a ritual? I think it has aleister crowley written all over it.

youtu.be/0KSOMA3QBU0

I would recommend finding Mass in the extraordinary form near you.

>confession
1 John 1:9 says confession is to God, not a man like you. Why do you assign yourself responsibilities that are explicitly relegated to God?

I just clicked through it a bit... it looks pretty creepy. I don't know if I buy the idea that famous people are part of some illuminati or other occult group, but I do believe they have opened themselves up to the evil one by spreading immorality. Jesus speaks strongly against those who would harm the "little ones," and many in the (((media))) certainly do.

your pope is a cock

Here's the origins of confession as found in the Gospel of John (20:19-23):
On the evening of that first day of the week, when the doors were locked, where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in their midst and said to them, “Peace be with you.”
When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. The disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord.
[Jesus] said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.”And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit.
Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.”

This power has been passed down through the Catholic priests and bishops through apostolic succession.

No, I am not familiar with them. It kills me not going to Mass (even the horrible novus ordo one that is all that can be found here) but I am no longer able to enter the building and not have my BP spike.

I fought it as long as I can. But then our parish priest (who I truly liked) said he was having an imam visit next week. I never went back.

I'm not a huge fan, though I'm bound to respect him. Pretty strong words coming from a Canadian, btw. I went to Canada and was blown away by the degeneracy I saw everywhere I went. In a museum for kids they had rainbow flags everywhere.

Is it true that many catholic priests are closet sodomites and this is the cause of the pedo scandals

Not an option. I live in the South and Catholics are only 2% of the population here. I looked high and low but no Latin mass here sadly.

Good thread Op

How do I ease people into a conversation about salvation? So many people cringe when the word is spoken because they have been trained to hate the Lord.

Is the use of psychadellics permissible if they are to be used in settings meant to strengthen my emotional connection to the Father?

Are there benefits to Protestant forms of unstructured prayer?

I'm a college senior discerning a vocation. How hard is it to get accepted to a seminary?

I've been in a similar situation as you. But remember that for all of the bad, the Church has the sacraments. This is the most important thing. If you find that you go to Mass and are suffering, offer it up. But remember - in the end, it will be very difficult to remain faithful. This is part of the "test" that we are warned about. The Church is very sick, it is true. But would you abandon your own mother in her sickness? Better to stay and to suffer. But make sure that you are fed through other means. I recommend EWTN, good spiritual reading, good websites, blogs, etc etc. I guarantee you, whatever craziness you've had to endure, it cannot approach what I endured as a seminarian. I can't help but think of Jordan Peterson here - going down into that deep, dark cave to fight the beast, etc. You have one life to live here - live it heroically, in the face of whatever evil you will encounter. You may save your soul and the souls of others besides.

First of all, thank you for your time. What advice do you have for an Orthodox Christian?

>I went to Canada and was blown away by the degeneracy I saw everywhere I went.

i wouldn't know, i don't go outside.

YES!!! And not always closeted. Less now than ever, actually. The John Jay Report (available online) confirms this. There were very few technical "pedophiles" in the scandal. Most cases - the vast majority - were young gay priests being sexual with older teen boys.

Catholic here.

What do you think on exorcism? Have you ever witness one?

What is your opinion about Anglican Orders?

Thank you! I was afraid I would be off-putting with my big cut and paste job...

What are your thoughts on the other branches of the Christian faith?

I hear you. Interesting image choice Pater, I can legit trace one of my lines to the noble Crusader family of Ibelin. This treason from on high is extra salt in the wound because of that.

I will reflect on what you said, but how do I approach Confession for this? "I was gone for a year and a half because I want to shiv the Pope"?

Father forgive me, it has been several years since my last Confession

1. I think the best thing is to live a good example. If they are open to reading, you can recommend some books. But you should always do it in a way that is as natural as possible. It takes a long time, I know, but eventually they will ask when their hearts are ready. Of course, pray for them and make sacrifices. I have prayed for the conversion of certain people and have been surprised at the great changes that have taken place.

2. While the Church does not address psychedelics specifically, I would proceed with great caution. Pray about it and if you feel God is leading you to it, it may be beneficial. I know some may give me a hard time about this, but it could be that God placed this experience here for those who could benefit from it.
3. As long as there is nothing contradicting the actual Catholic faith, you should be OK, but again proceed with caution. A lot of Catholics like Protestant music. You just have to be careful.

Thanks for the answer I had suspicions but it is good to hear this from someone in the institution.

Also is there any chance the next pope will be more of a traditionalist or at least European?

You are accepted to a diocese first. Then they will walk you through the process with the seminary. Call your local vocation director. If they are liberal (and they may be), try to hide your conservatism. Sometimes they try to weed out faithful Catholics, sadly.

daily reminder that organized religion is just a vestige of past attempts at social control over plebs

op your premise is false, so all conclusions you draw are therefore false as well. a good, all powerful god is logically impossible, as even a cursory glance at our world shows (pic related)

therefore this thread is a waste of time, may as well talk about gay autistic purple dragons that live under your bed and turn invisible as soon as you look at them. do u pray to them as well?

Just bite the bullet and go, user. I went back in January for the first time in nine years. Greatest feeling ever.

Eastern Orthodox? I am proud to call you my brother. I hope that the Western Church is able to get centered again and that the day will come when we are united. In the meantime, pray with faith, receive the sacraments (mysteries). Of course, read some Catholic apologetics... I gotta throw that one in. It may be that you are drawn into Catholicism. I certainly looked at Orthodoxy too.

HAHA well that's a good way to go. Just get the poutine delivered to your door!

how can I have virility with lust?
I want to marry a woman and love her but also to not be a clubbing douchebag.

What do?

Thanks for the response. I live in Phoenix, but I'm thinking about moving back to Chicago after school. Do I have to go through the Diocese of Phoenix or should I contact the VD in Chicago on my own?

I mentioned exorcism above.
Anglican orders are certainly not valid.

Father I am a homosexual woman. Should I kill myself? I support my family at present (divorced female partner and her son) but they would benefit from the payout.
I know suicide is a sin but what else can I do?

Do you unironically believe that some random arab is the messiah of the kikes?

Explain this, Romanist heathen!

Nice shirt mate.

I see them often as apples falling from a tree. The farther away the break, the farther the apple and the more distant it becomes, until eventually you end up with mormons, JWs, etc. The Catholic Church was founded by Christ. We have 2,000 years of apostolic succession (all of our bishops can be traced back to Christ) and we compiled the Bible (New Testament). All other sects were started by mere men.

I'm scared of what he might say. If I just go to Mass I can still feel close to God. If I tell a priest about my sin I'm afraid he will just ask me to leave

go peddle your hebrew snake oil elsewhere, this board is for adult discussion on real world events

I would just say that you haven't gone to Mass for X period of time. You don't need to say why. Try to find a faithful priest in your area. If not, there are great resources online too. God bless you

And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Bump while I read.
Ohio Catholic here. Very good read this far.

HAHA I wish I could do it online, but alas... it has to be in person

Father. I'm a traditional catholic of the eastern rite. And have considered the priesthood once I'm done with collage. I have a seminarian friend as well. What does it take to be a good priest?

Peter means stone/rock

It was a pun!

Thoughts of the Catholic and Christian Generals here on Sup Forums?

For awhile, things looked really good. I don't know what will happen now. With every passing day, the pope is stacking the deck with his choice of cardinals. I'm hoping our Lady of Fatima steps in...

My dad tried it, it's hard work. He gave up and became a doctor instead

Are kabbalists worshiping the same way as those in Sodom and Gomorrah?

Not an argument

That doesn't answer the question and seems disingenuous. The new testament says in many places (i'll spare you) that through faith in Christ with repentance your sin is forgiven. In the verse you mention, isn't Christ telling them to spread the gospel (the means of repentance) and not granting them special powers above men - least not any special power that must be handed down. It seems like a grossly misinterpreted verse whilest ignoring 50 others.

god loves you unconditionally.

that's why he created that incredibly painful and nasty disease that is eating away at your body, destroying your psyche, and emotionally destroying all those who love you.

I would actually like to come here in the future to discuss proofs of God's existence, including the problem of evil. I can't do it today, unfortunately, as I have Mass pretty soon, but I'll post it in the future as Sacerdos

I will address this in the future. Take a look at my cut/paste job in the first few posts. I'm going to show you how to meet good women. It's a proven method and I've married people who have followed it.

He will absolutely not do that. He acts in persona Christi, in the very person of Christ. Confession is about mercy and the joy that comes with it after being forgiven. I confessed that I was an edgy atheist and that I mocked believers, and the priest replied, "Welcome home." Trust me on this. God is telling you that He wants you back.

Is there anything on Sup Forums besides the porn that you would find unacceptable?

quite literally

I'm lurking, keeping posting Cath-user

We can pray to our Lord and keep hope for a better future

It depends on where you want to be a priest. Phoenix has an EXCELLENT bishop. Chicago, not so much... If you go to Chicago, just keep your traditionalism quiet until you meet people you trust to share it to.

are you /ourguy/? did you vote for trump.

Definitely do not kill yourself... Remember that it is NOT a sin to BE homosexual. The acts are something else, but remember that God loves you no matter what. God wants you to be saved, not lost. I recommend the program Courage. www.couragerc.net
God bless you.

random arab?

Good point. Thanks Father.

ok.
im a 10months NOFApper, not just some wanker tho.
im doing an effort ;_;

>I would actually like to come here in the future to discuss proofs of God's existence, including the problem of evil. I can't do it today

>I can't do it today

t. every theist ever

Catholic here. What are your opinions with Eastern Orthodox Churches? Are they still members of the universal faith? Are they still considered Apostolic Churches? Can they still have a communion with the Church just like sui iuris Churches in the Middle East?

> Following this is obsession, when a demon can cause great suffering to a person without actually possessing them.

Can you go into any specifics in terms of what approach you used, specific prayers, etc. to help those being brought to obsessiveness by demons?

Were there tangible reactions, like normal possession (e.g. increase in severity of symptoms at onset of treatment)?

Any take-aways from this?

Additional question: What's your view on Buddhism, and their role in this spiritual conflict a lot of people seem to be experiencing?

Personally I look at them as Vulcan where Christians are human, wherein both seem to be able to benefit from one another's strengths, but I'm genuinely curious how a legitimate priest views this relationship.

Since your in your 30s, you were probably ordained in antipope Paul VI 's New Rite of "Ordination", which is invalid. You cannot consecrate the host.