Brit/pol/ - Queen Elizabeth II edition

>Gove confirms foreign access to UK fishing grounds
bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-40814377

>UK diplomats' families withdrawn from Venezuela
theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/16/uk-reaching-tipping-point-on-abuse-of-politicians-paul-bew

>Home Office’s lack of action on post-Brexit Border ‘is shocking’
irishtimes.com/news/politics/home-office-s-lack-of-action-on-post-brexit-border-is-shocking-1.3169069

>Anti-Islam UKIP leadership hopeful 'too extreme', says AM
bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-40802240

>Bring in British only passport lanes, minister says
inews.co.uk/essentials/news/politics/bring-british-passport-lanes-minister-says/

>Last day of Royal duties for Prince Phillip
independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/prince-philip-final-royal-engagement-gaffes-96-years-duke-edinburgh-queen-elizabeth-ii-a7872561.html

>British email prankster fools White House officials into replying
theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/01/british-email-prankster-fools-white-house-officials-into-replying

>No 10 says free movement ends when UK leaves EU
bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40774251

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200304/cmselect/cmpubadm/422/42204.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precedent
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I don't really know why I continue to be surprised at the general level of ignorance around here.

First for Kuenssberg's legs and feet.

I just leave Brit/pol/ open and wait for a decent discussion to arise. More times than not, it never does. People here have the average IQ of an Ethiopian.

Thread is dead today.

Haven't seen the "start buying guns" guy in a while. Maybe he threw away his tinfoil hat and realised there won't be a race war.

good now it matches the country

Lel I started that, but that wasn't one person.

Post like this () make my physically angry. People seem to just assume how things work, then assume themselves an authority on that matter henceforth.

Queen Elizabeth II is one of our worst monarchs.

>said the baby tier nihilist who roleplays as a cartoon superhero

How about you counter it you cocksucker?

deaths to all the kangz and queens , fuck MONARCHY !

>what was the english civil war and subsequent three and a half centuries of british political history

I just sent this bitch dick pics on Twitter and asked her out for a drink.

>t.Charles

How can I explain how a car works to someone who refuses to grasp the wheel.

Jeremy Clarkson is gonna die lads.

The Windsors are just generally useless, glorified celebrities.

Not their fault. They're piloting a plane with no fuel.

It's well within the monarch's power to influence public opinion you utter imbecile.

We're all going to die.

At least the bring in lots of tourist money.

Eddie, you aren't half retarded some of the time

tripfags are dumb

Not an argument.

The Monarch refuses to use their power as a public figure for the greater good. Sickening.

i repeat
>what was the english civil war and subsequent three and a half centuries of british political history
and
>what did these historical events do to the constitutional position of the monarch

The Monarch as a whole has been in steady decline since, arguably, the civil war era but 1688 assigned the role a slow decline in which powers were more and more thrusted upon Ministers of the Crown, and acted upon by self parties. As opposed to the Monarch her/himself simply acting based off Ministerial advice, entire roles were placed upon these ministers which completely unbalanced our system. The Act of Union 1707 forbade the Crown from having any presence in any public assembly in the country, in 1708 Queen Anne withheld Royal Assent on the Scottish Militia Bill causing an outrage (even the American Revolution nearly a century later was partly blamed on this) thus it was never refused again, now it isn't even assigned in person. This steady decline peaked, probably, at Victoria whom was the first monarch in history to come to power knowing she'd have no active role in government which completely unbalanced our system.

From what you're saying, you act as though this is completely new and Queen Elizabeth herself is to blame as opposed to 400 years of history leading up until this point.

Because they have no power to do so as set by a 3 century old precedent in an electorate who values broken democracy over everything.

>The Monarch can't influence public opinion

Are you stupid lad?

Good

Fucking hope so, man's a cunt.

I wonder what the official NHS position on gender reassignment is.
I'm not thrilled with the prospect of paying for these idiots to mutilate themselves.

They can't directly you fucking monkey and they aren't going to reverse 300 years of political change simply by speaking up.

400*

To an extent, yes, but you cannot absolve them of all blame. You yourself have talked about how Victoria was the first to not sign Royal Perogative in person, setting a precedent that the monarch doesn't.

Can't help but notice Victoria did OK in spite of the restrictions tons...

It's pointless lad, we explain this shit to them daily, and yet they always completely ignore it and make the same retarded argument the next day as if you hadn't already countered their point.
It's infuriating.

Victoria knew she'd have no real active role in government from the beginning of her reign.

You mean parliament did OK.

Aah, but I was trying to argue a role such as Victoria's for our Monarch.

You see, Victoria wasn't entirely apolitical. She influenced public opinion greatly. Yet out Monarch does not, nor do any of the royal family. Their political opinions are unknown.

Do any drive-bys lately old chap?

if the monarch starts constantly shooting their mouth off about politics then they run the risk of influencing public opinion, as soon as they draw the attention to themselves then people start asking why an unelected hereditary monarch has any power to influence anyone, then the monarch succeeds in chopping off the branch that the monarchy sits on, i.e. a branch made of public goodwill and of the knowledge that the monarch, despite being unelected and hereditary, is an impotent figurehead. all of this is a result of the english civil war and subsequent three and a half centuries of british political history. do you NOW understand?

>calls me stupid
top kek

t. rabid left leaning vegan uni student

>those tits

MUMMY

>they have no power to do so

Show me the law that prevents them from being an activist

This is becoming a daily occurrence, it's probably simpler sending them to 4plebs.

>Aah, but I was trying to argue a role such as Victoria's for our Monarch.
This is what we have now essentially.

By the time Victoria stopped signing royal assent the precedent was already a century set that the Monarch always agrees with the electorate representative.
Why does this argument need to be had every single fucking time, it's the same points being refuted every single fucking time. It's as if everyone is so allergic to being wrong that they just expunge all memory of being proven wrong.

>LONDON (Reuters) - Britain is prepared to pay up to 40 billion euros (36.12 billion pounds) as part of a deal to leave the European Union, the Sunday Telegraph newspaper reported, citing three unnamed sources familiar with Britain's negotiating strategy.

>The newspaper said British officials were likely to offer to pay 10 billion euros a year for three years after leaving the EU in March 2019, then finalise the total alongside detailed trade talks.

>I don't understand uncodified constitutional precedent

That's precisely why I said the Monarch was too frightened to do anything.

They were frightened of public backlash. However, it's also why I said it's partly their own fault for not justifying why a Monarch is necessary.

>not understanding the difference between de jure and de facto

jesus christ user

They shouldn't need to justify why a Monarch is necessary. 1000 years of our history is centered around the role.

Victoria made actual suggestions as to how Britain should operate.

Our Queen does literally nothing.

if they speak out they get removed from power, then whatever they spoke out against goes ahead anyway

hurr durr

So you can't show me?

Good to know.

>Queen Elizabeth II

>let woman run country
>turn empire into shithole

where did i see it happen? right, its merkel in slow-mo. yet merkel gets bashed on, rightfully. wondering why elizabeth ii doesnt get the same shit - granted, it took her 50 years to turn her empire into shit, while merkel managed to ruin her country in 2 years.

Nothing you have said has proved you are not an idiot or a child.

You're assuming the Monarch couldn't afford to back a political position. If they couldn't it's de facto, but if they could, and don't out of fear, then they are literally just feeble

In the long vista of the years to roll,
Let me not see our country’s honour fade:
O let me see our land retain her soul,
Her pride, her freedom; and not freedom’s shade.
From thy bright eyes unusual brightness shed—
Beneath thy pinions canopy my head

>if they speak out they get removed from power

I disagree

Ok

That doesn't mean the monarchy is powerless

That's not true at all. The Queen fulfils all the roles she should, she simply can't use to her full extent what, technically, is legal through her Prerogative Powers. Besides, for all you know, Queen Elizabeth does exactly the same and influences ministers behind the scenes in the same manor in which Victoria did, these things usually don't come to light until after the death of said Monarch. Regardless of all that, Victoria's position left a gaping hope in our constitution in which a Monarch acts as oversight of parliament, who enact the will of the people. Victoria, too, had lost those powers by the time of her reign in practice. In theory, they exist until this day and the Queen could dissolve parliament tomorrow if you want to LARP.

Yes it does you fool.

You know what uncodified mean right?
Show me the law where the largest party leader becomes PM?
There isn't one, it's uncodified precedent. But to disobey would cause crisis.

Seriously faggots our entire legal and political history is based on case law and precedent, yet you utter fucking retards still refuse to even try and understand the basis of what many of you cite as one of the greatest legacies of the Empire, yet you constantly scream that if it isn't codified it isn't real. This is beyond retarded.

Could you please explain where in any of the history of the law of this country, is political power assigned to the media?

Does the media hold political power?

Victoria's speeches were also charged.

I never said the Queen should exercise any power through constitutional levers, just that she could afford to voice her opinion a bit more. Perhaps on the Church, perhaps on societal decline.

The silence of the Monarch is defeaning. I can think of no other Monarch who would remain silent.

>what is influence
Retard.

>Does the media hold political power?
They obviously do, but there isn't a codified bit of legislation which hands them political power. What kind of question is that?

>I never said the Queen should exercise any power through constitutional levers, just that she could afford to voice her opinion a bit more
This is exactly what I'm advocating for, though. I don't want a Queen like Victoria who resorted to influencing ministerial affairs behind the scenes and influencing fashion choices.

I never said it wouldn't cause a crisis. However, just because there's no precedent for it under the current Monarch doesn't mean it can't happen.

Unless you think we should just accept defeat because if we don't there'd be a crisis.

So even if you considered the codified legislation that restricts the Monarch's power to be legitimate, do you still deny that the monarch has power?

>influence isn't a form of power
Keep digging that hole

We've LARPed on here many times, and have openly spoken about scenarios in which a Monarch might use their Prerogative powers and refuse Royal Assent, Queen's consent, appointment powers etc, and I've said I can think of many scenarios in the last 200 years where, I think, such an act would be warranted, however it hasn't happened for the very specific reason that such an Act would put the entire Crown at risk.

So please, when discussing Monarchical affairs, try not to LARP and remain in reality.

>The same people who support keeping th e Monarch quiet to avoid crisis unironically support the deposition of James II for a cloggywog

Just because it causes a crisis doesn't mean it's necessarily bad.

I never advocated that, lad.

I am advocating the Monarch speaking up slightly more on issues of incredible importance, and Eddie insists the sky will fall if she does so

>So even if you considered the codified legislation that restricts the Monarch's power to be legitimate
No codified legislation HAS restricted the Monarchs powers to what we currently have. Precedent has. Her Prerogative powers are still legal IN THEORY.

publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200304/cmselect/cmpubadm/422/42204.htm

>The Queen's constitutional prerogatives are the personal discretionary powers which remain in the Sovereign's hands. They include the rights to advise, encourage and warn Ministers in private; to appoint the Prime Minister and other Ministers; to assent to legislation; to prorogue or to dissolve Parliament; and (in grave constitutional crisis) to act contrary to or without Ministerial advice. In ordinary circumstances The Queen, as a constitutional monarch, accepts Ministerial advice about the use of these powers if it is available, whether she personally agrees with that advice or not. That constitutional position ensures that Ministers take responsibility for the use of the powers.

>do you still deny that the monarch has power?
She has more power than you and I, but not the constitutional role she is meant to fulfil.

Why are you advocating for such a meaningless thing? The Queen has spoken up in defence of the Church of England many times amongst other things. What I'm arguing for is the return of the Monarch to her constitutional position which has unbalanced our system and given parliament ultimately supremacy. An electorate, aka a collection of divided voting blocs, is the only thing parliament is answerable to in this country.

Hospitals are super busy because of the hidden tranny class. There are loads more than people think, and many get health complications. Hormones are serious business.

This place is so fucking retarded. I'm going back to shit posting. I really do hate the vast majority of posters here. You're fucking retards.

>when you're so stupid you get blown the fuck out by anonymongs regularly

Not an argument

Appointed by God.

Neither of you responded to my argument.

Which one?
The one where you say that the monarch doesn't have as much power as they used to (and are supposed to)?
I agree

*invades ur country*

*rapes ur women*

*installs sharia courts*

*bombs ur children*

*throws acid in ur face*

You're explaining the car to people who can't grasp the wheel.

Maybe it's a self-driving car?

You already gave your stupid analogy.

But why am I replying to you?
It's like explaining the car

to people who refuse to grasp the wheel

>"The physician who performed his autopsy stated that his body "did not contain a single drop of blood; his heart was the size of a peppercorn; his lungs corroded; his intestines rotten and gangrenous; he had a single testicle, black as coal, and his head was full of water."

You're just embarrassing yourself more than anything.

Why doesn't she seem to care that her country is being raped by Islam and Africa?

Where's Rimmer? You looking forward to the match? 16/17 was the highpoint for you. This season is going to be more like 15/16 and today is going to show it.

Will you and Eddie even last another year here?
doubtful

You still haven't given me a convincing reason the queen shouldn't be more politically active.

>inb4 "muh precedent"

How's that precedent worked out for us the last half century?

No one man should have all that power.

>How's that precedent worked out for us the last half century?
It's comments like this that make me think you're retarded. If you can't understand the legal significance of precedent in our system then it's impossible to even begin speaking with you on matters like this.

The monarchy are appointed by God and are descendants of Odin

"precedence" is the adult version of saying "but he did it too and didn't get in trouble"

No it isn't.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precedent

>In legal systems based on common law, a precedent, or authority, is a principle or rule established in a previous legal case that is either binding on or persuasive for a court or other tribunal when deciding subsequent cases with similar issues or facts[citation needed]. Common law legal systems place great value on deciding cases according to consistent principled rules so that similar facts will yield similar and predictable outcomes, and observance of precedent is the mechanism by which that goal is attained. The principle by which judges are bound to precedents is known as stare decisis.

That's from the first paragraph of wikipedia, if any of you had any interest in this topic at all, you'd atleast know this which is why this is a pointless discussion.