What's the best way to learn a new language, Sup Forums?

I've heard of Rosetta Stone and Duolingo as being ways to learn a new language. How about you? What have you done?

Other urls found in this thread:

antimoon.com/
antimoon.com/other/myths.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=xRL5IoE5EUQ
fluent-forever.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Live in the country for a while of the language you want to speak. Now I know that's not reasonable for most people but it's definately the best way.

So, should I just go and live for a year in the US? :^)

Those are both gimmicks. The only way to learn a language to fluency is through massive amounts of input followed by a smaller amount of output, the same way you learnt your native language.
antimoon.com/
antimoon.com/other/myths.htm

Nope. We're full. Fuck off pendejo

Duolingo is really convenient as it lets you work on different platforms and lets you drill naturally for free.

Immersion is best, but apply the theory as best you can with other methods.

Not even shilling, I think Pimsler is really useful. I also use a voice recorder to copy their format with my own lessons.

They're good to get started with -- as is Pimsleur -- but consuming loads of media is really the way to go.

Read comics from the start, switch your vidya's language to the target, simple stuff with cues. Then kiddie books and up to real novels.

This. I went from knowing very basic English to being really good at it after 6 years of Pentonville

Live in a European country, you'll pick up Arabic in no time

Took classes. Found tv programs in that launguage, and books. Study study study. Then find native speakers and practice.
I've been too broke for fancy programs.

Shitty thread for this board. People learn differently. Find your learning style and do what works for you.

Read stories from the KJV Bible in parallel with the Bible in the language you're learning, you heathen.

Utalk app is decent, can be a grind if you dont want to pay.

They have probably every fucking language though.

Skype. Use a language exchange site to find a conversation partner. Learn grammar from YouTube and buy a novel.

It's good but get it from the library. No reason to spend more than 30 dollars on a language.

also go to Sup Forums
they have a whole sticky

sad but true

you pick up Spanish in big American cities

Ok listen here faggot. I've learned Spanish, Portuguese, and French over the course of the past four years to a level just under fluency for all three languages listed.

Duolingo alone = enjoy speaking like a 3 year old
Duolingo + Memrise = good vocabulary and basics for speaking
Duolingo + Memrise + grammar book = hey you're conversational now
Duolingo + Memrise + grammar book + actually speaking with a native speaker = you'll be fluent in a year and a half.

If you can't afford to live in another country then you need to use the language you want to learn every single day. You even have to think in that language.

Anyone got some good routines? Like time of day etc..?

I'm just torrenting movies in russian and studying whole phrases grammar will come naturally through context.

If you’re a neet you can go all day everyday

Spanish was spoken here before the anglos arrived. Stop crying cuck

something simple that you can do is make a concerted effort to learn the most frequently occurring 1000 words in the language, which will allow you to understand an insane amount of conversation (like 80% or something). If you memorize 5 words/day, you'll have reached that mark in under a year

I used doulingo for a while. Though it was good until I used Mango languages and took classes at college. I realized doulingo is just google translate. Like other anons said, you would talk like a 3 year old. Use mango languages. It's free in most cities if you have a library card and take actual classes as well.
t. Trilingual learning a fourth language

Not true at all. Before the Texas revolution occured there were 30,000 Anglos to ~7,000 Mexicans because Mexico was stupid enough to let foreigners live in their territory. Mexicans rarely ventured to the northen states because of Natives murdering them, land grants were expensive, and they didn't want to.

Use Pimsleurs. listen and speak while you drive while you work, while you play games.

Its the best of all systems. But it will not teach you to read/write.

Use rosetta stone, although in this duolingo.. can... work... more or less, its not great. I have seen many shit in duolingo, its a bit basic, but together with memrise it can work, but sure as shit not by themselves.

I speak 4 languages, all self taught, tip: Do not study grammar. Language is intuitive, you need to be exposed to it to learn it, thus the value of pimsleur. You will inherently understand grammatical structure and "feel" if something is wrong or right by creating the same sense that children get when they grow up listening to their peers talk.

After you have learned the language, if you want, then do some grammar, to make sure you have more academic level of speech, which you might or might not require, does not matter, its always good.
Listen to music, watch movies, play games in the language, be in forums with that language and trash talk, who cares. Arguments force you to develop linguistic skills unless you are a memelord.
Immersion is key, first and foremost. Study to write/read concurrently, personally id say after you are able to speak it at a childs level.

Studying grammar and reading/writting before you have a basic grasp of the language will only make you confused and slow it down. language is intuitive, not learned by a set of rules, thus the failure rates of most educational systems who focus on that shit. Anyway, hope it helps.

And those 7000 Mexicans were there before those anglos arrived.

I wasn't crying? Spanish is a valuable language to have in North America, and I speak it

1 - See a foreign movie with subtitles in your language
2 - See it again with subtitles in its original language
3 - See it a 3rd time without subtitles at all
This deceased host of a typical Brazilian TV show did only the 2 first steps and spoke English without accent youtube.com/watch?v=xRL5IoE5EUQ

Im thinking about getting some fatass french textbook and learning it like that.

I cant do computer stuff. I will get distracted.

Any textbooks?

No, fucker. Torrent a copy of Rosetta Stone

portuguese has to be the coolest sounding language out there

I found it impossible to learn a new language until I actually went to that country, did courses and got a native GF who couldn't speak english.

I mean, it takes 1-2 years of your life but if you've got the money, why not

>Rosetta Stone

It's a ripoff, I wouldn't recommend unless there aren't any other alternatives.

>Duolingo

It's good in a sense that it's free to use and you can use it on basically any device.

The cons of using it is that it is limited in language choices and is not an option if you were planning on learning an unpopular or a very difficult language.

They don't offer Chinese, Japanese, or Korean lessons. That might change, but likely not anytime soon.

Japanese/Chinese can't be learned casually. You have to go there or learn it full time

>b-but one hour a day
no.

Korean is easier.

Anyone have and good resources or recommendations for Japanese?

Check out your local community college or scout around their website for course listings

Depends on the person.

But, using it is the best way to retain.

>Anyone have and good resources or recommendations for Japanese?

Listening & Speaking: JapanesePod101 was pretty good. I listened to it for 3 months before a 2-week trip to Japan. I wasn't able to read so I used a couple websites and downloaded JapanesePod101's PDFs. I just wanted to be able to read some hiragana & katagana.

I was able to get around and ask directions and order stuff in restaurants and make small talk. Good thing about many restaurants in Japan though is they have picture menus.

By throwing yourself in the deep end and going to wherever it is you want to go and trying to live. Youll pick p the language real fast.

Noone learned spanish just sat staring at their computer all day

>mfw I want to learn an obscure language

this. but in the case you want to learn extinct languages like french or german or swedish you will have to go to a library and research archives on instructional books

learn its grammatical structure and things such as suffixes and then use duolingo + wiktionary to learn words

Duolingo works fine but no direct way to learn to read and type in set language. But in time you still get a hang of it.
I am learning russian if you are wondering.

>Human Japanese
>JapanesePod101
>Some courses at a nearby Community College

Babble is pretty good

i call bs on that one. unless you write sth right on spanish i wont believe you, mr fluent

how 'bout kill yourself, anime faggot?

Hey D:

What about the French and Dutch then?

It's okay Sven you were never white to begin with :^)

I learned Italian pretty well with Rossetta stone. It really is cool because there is no direct translation. I stopped using it though and forgot most of it after 4 years.

Spanish was spoken in the southwest before any of those groups arrived. And it will continue to be spoken here long after those languages die out in America.

duolingo is great for basics, pimsleur is great for conversation. Rosetta Stone is a meme based off of pseudoscience. The best approach is multiple ones, grammar textbooks, flashcards, penpals, audio, reading, etc.

Irish. Gaeilge

I might as well write how I learned near fluent Mandarin in 2 years. I now work for a company where i use it daily, earn a lot.

1. I found it impossible to learn Chinese despite talking to Chinese people for 3 years prior to my plan. Literally just learned how to count from 1 to 10 and some other basic things. Wasted 3 years because I couldn't knuckle down.

2. Here is where I got smart. At 18 I intentionally picked the shittiest, worst, cheapest school in Beijing. I chose Beijing as the Chinese they teach in class is the same as in the street.

3. Because it was cheap and shit, the classmates were from shitty backwards nations so spoke bad English. From day 1 of my class I started Chinese.

4. After 4 months i felt I had not learned very much. I then met a gf who couldn't speak English, we could only communicate by fucking and simple words.

5. June 2012, my term started in September 2011... some months had passed. I was one of the worst in my class for reading and writing but decent at speaking because of my gf.

6. July/August 2016. All my friends went home. I took out a writing pad and watched 11-12 episodes of Chinese drama shows a day. All in Chinese. When they said something I didn't understand, I paused, wrote it and continued.

7. Term resumes in September 2012. I know I am on a good track as during the introductions to the new teachers (new semester, new level teachers) the teacher actually stopped to look up at me when I did my introduction. She said how my Chinese was totally different to all other foreigners and how I was doing really well.

I dropped out in December 2012 to come back to the UK. Did my degree, got the first job I applied for and now make decent cash.

So yeah, if you wanna learn Chinese, do what I did.

Should work for any other language at all, really

The best and easiest way to learn a language is simply daily exposure. With the internet, you have endless resources for this.

Read blogs or message boards written by people who are actually speaking the language in a non classroom setting.

Watch movies or play games in the language you are interested in.

To begin, I would also get Pimsleur which consists of a 30 minute audio lesson each day and commit to it.

Duolino and Memrise are also great free apps you can use for small lessons and are very convenient.

Daily exposure is key. Find media or topics you are already interested in and read them in the language you are learning.

Best of all, learning a language today is totally free, no schooling or classroom nonsense required.

Help me decide what language to learn next. I already have mastery level Spanish and English.

>French
Easy since I have a strong romance base. Same sentence structure as english. But fairly limited geographically (unless I want to go to AFRICA -- I Don't!)
>Russian
Can hit on little slav models from FSU (former soviet union)
>Mandarin
Good for business including Singapore, Taiwan, HK.

Fuck a woman from that country.

What do you suggest in terms of translating the words you don't know? Dictionary or online translator?

why would you want to talk to anyone that doesn't speak English?

fuck them.

>fuck a foreign woman
>learn her language
>instead of the other way around
What are you, a cuck?

Learn german

the only excuse for speaking one language these days is if you like being a brainlet

This. The Croat user. Next time, he'll convert to th religion of his wife and bow to his wife's lover or prep the bull too

>croat user is right.

I studied spanish for 4 years in class and took AP tests and wrote essays and shit. Got into college and transferring knowledge from Spanish to Portuguese was insanely easy. They're pretty much the exact same language. French was a bit trickier but I wanted to learn it more than Italian. After a few months you get the hang of French. The hardest part for me is listening. Someone says "Je ne" and I don't catch the ne and the meaning of a sentence is completely fucked.

I would also think about what you want to use the language for. I know most teachers will say that, but it's common sense. Start out with a goal that will help you narrow down what parts of the language you will need.

For example, if you have a goal of visiting the country for a week, imagine all of the likely opportunities you would have to use the language from the moment you leave the airport. Maybe things like getting a taxi/public transportation, basic directions, hotel, restaurants, counting, etc.

This will help you quickly filter out a lot of vocabulary you'll never use and save you time and energy. I've learned French (classroom, Chinese Mandarin (Classroom), Spanish (on my own) and Korea (on my own.) The classroom stuff was alright but too restricted to the textbooks.

Also, you never really get a good ear for the pronunciation because you're always hearing your classmates' retarded pronunciation. On you own, you can develop a better ear for the pronunciation because it doesn't get tainted by retarded classmates. Like other posters above, consume a shit-ton of input (listening/reading) and don't get to rushed to do output (speaking/writing.)

Some of the YouTube language geeks recommend 'shadowing' where you record yourself trying to read a text at the same speed as a native speaker. It's annoying at first but it definitely pays off. Load up an audio text on your phone and listen to it with 1 earphone and then read the same text on your monitor while recording yourself using something like Audacity on your PC. You can then run both tracks parallel in Audacity and compare the rising and falling intonation and pronunciation patterns. Do this if you really want to geek out.

Ah, the old Anglo delusion

I don't want to live in Germany or Japan.

I speak Swedish and Russian fluently, I have tried Swedish and Russian on duolingo and I can tell you that they both are not worth the time, it's just very simple the whole way to the end. As now Im learning French trough duolingo, just basic things you'll never use AS!!!!! Calling insects for Japanese

I highly recommend Duolingo. I've used it to improve my German skills, and it has definitely worked. I used Rosetta Stone for a time before I discovered Duolingo, but you can't really get too far unless you're willing to shell out $120 or more. You probably won't be 100% fluent from just using Duolingo, but I've found that from even just the progress I've made that I can totally hold a conversation in German. Go try it out. With the technology that we have today, if you're under like 30, there's no excuse not to be at least bi-lingual.

Sorry, no. We are currently only exporting "wet backs", no Imports at this time.

Michel Thomas, my man

No-dot Indians homo.

Memrise is also good.

Keked

get a language lesson book, you lazy piece of trash. They are dirt cheap and come with cassettes

I learned basic Italian from 2 weeks worth of Duolingo and then staying in Italy for a month. Continued using Duolingo and having an Italian tutor (now friend) when I was home.

Also tried to learn German, but I gave up after a week. Again with Duolingo.

I really liked Duo, just with anything you're going to learn take the principles and apply them yourself in different scenarios. I do think going to the country in question is great though. Especially if you go to a small area where most of the older folk don't care about talking English to tourists.

Wtf is with your timeline, larper

The fuck did you learn russian? I'm trying now and this shit is giving me a headache

How did you jump from 2012 to 2016 back to 2012?

>Michel Thomas
He has such a weird fucking accent imo. I like the structure better than Pimselur but that was a major turnoff for me. Hesitant to give it a try for another language because of it.

calm your tits, miswrote, 2016 should be 2012.

I got a torrent of his Spanish course. Was good but I found it difficult to know how to pace myself. I ended up repeating the first six hours without moving on from there. Eventually I deleted it from my phone to make space (I would mostly practice when walking my dog or commuting)

What would you suggest? I was thinking of doing it again and restrict myself to one lesson a week. Master one, move on, master one, move on etc

Also, the woman was a total qt. Tried to find her details but I think it's impossible.

Dont mean to start eny kind of discussion, i agree english should be USA´s main language but...Spain had Florida, Missisipi, California, Texas...There were spanairds there and ye, they used spanish. Even Florida´s flag is just the old Spanish flag.
I mean, there is a reason why "Palo Alto" and such cities have their name in Spanish.

>I got a torrent of his Spanish course. Was good but I found it difficult to know how to pace myself. I ended up repeating the first six hours without moving on from there. Eventually I deleted it from my phone to make space (I would mostly practice when walking my dog or commuting)
kek are you me
Didn't you find his accent weird? That's what made me quit it. Well that and losing interest in spanish altogether.

No fucking joke. I've spent more time trying to learn Russian on my own than college based German courses. I don't think I'm missing direction, but ffs, they really could've used some standardization and simplification. Maybe I just hate languages with declensions like Latin and Russian, while German manages it's own pretty well.

It sucks but I really want to have it down.

Estou estudando o portugues por um ano. Minha unico motivacao foi fodendo as bundas brasilerias. Eu acho que portugues e uma idioma muito bonita, mas eu tenho difficiuldade com meu sotaque, e as vezes, conjugacao verbal porque ingles nao tem muito. Meu sonho e ser um funkeiro, e espero que um dia eu dance com novinhas bebadas na baile de favela.

He is just ignorant. Arizona, New Mexico, Southern Texas and Southern California have always been strongholds for the Spanish language and were spoken before the anglos set foot there. Many Native Americans in the area use Spanish as their first and naive language and learn English only once they started school. That is how much effect the Spanish language has had in the Southwest

fluent-forever.com/

>A Green Owl
Disgusting

It was weird but memorable.

>Estar! TO BE a star, of course.

Gum chewing/lip smacking was bad but overall I found his method effective.

cassettes
kek.

learning other people's languages is Beta
half the world speaks English anyhow, and the half that doesn't needs to be put in their place like the subhumans they are

Half the US does not even speak english. If you ever left your backwoods town you would know how knowledge of foreign languages is desperately needed

brainlet detected

>Also, the woman was a total qt. Tried to find her details but I think it's impossible.
Me too. Loved her voice.

because of retards like you I was tricked when I went to China thinking most people could speak english.

95%+ couldn't muster a conversation.

Earlier this year I went to Spain as well.

70%+ could not speak English.

English is nowhere near as widespread as people think, though it is spoken widely in northern Europe because their meme languages are not enough