Emperor Septimus Severus was half-Libyan and some historians think his appearance might have passed for black in modern...

Emperor Septimus Severus was half-Libyan and some historians think his appearance might have passed for black in modern America.

Other urls found in this thread:

africaresource.com/rasta/sesostris-the-great-the-egyptian-hercules/the-black-emperors-of-rome-roman-emperor-caracalla-kara-kalla/
africaresource.com/
africaresource.com/rasta/sesostris-the-great-the-egyptian-hercules/was-julius-ceasar-white-not-on-your-life-the-african-roots-of-rome-and-the-wrongly-painted-ceasar-by-masach/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septimius_Severus
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenicianism
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

WE

>some historians think

not an argument

Half libyan italian would look like a modern italian.

thefore black in modern america

thanks for participating

WUZ

Roman Empire had its own Obama.

strawman

im not saying black people created space ships, im saying some of them were your idolized roman emperors whiteboy

>strawman
>implying one single roman emperor that nobody ever heard of COULD have been HALF black
Who's the strawman now silly negroe?

Weren't there a bunch of African emperors towards the end of the empire?

I hope you get dick cancer for telling all these lies on the Internet

COMPOOTERZ

Severus was part Phoenician, not black. Besides, why blacks would wish to be associated with the man whose terrible parenting helped create a dynasty that pushed Rome over the edge into decades of civil war from which the Pax Romana never recovered is a mystery.

That is not Septimus Severus

KANGZ

No. Towards the end of the empire, North Africa was one of the most important tax bases for the West. The Germans invaded and created kingdoms there, which were later recovered by the Eastern Romans. Some of the Eastern Emperors were descended from the governors of this territory, but they were ethnically Roman/Greek/Armenian.

[citation needed]

You are being kind of a hypocrite. You have not cited any sources yourself.

africaresource.com/rasta/sesostris-the-great-the-egyptian-hercules/the-black-emperors-of-rome-roman-emperor-caracalla-kara-kalla/

No need to thank me, its my pleasure to educate you son.

ay yo hol up

>needs a citation for the Byzantine empire
Faggot nigger

>africaresource.com/

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Good meme. They also claim that Julius Caesar is black too. MANN WE WUZ KANGZ OF ROMANZ AND SHIEET.

>africaresource.com/rasta/sesostris-the-great-the-egyptian-hercules/was-julius-ceasar-white-not-on-your-life-the-african-roots-of-rome-and-the-wrongly-painted-ceasar-by-masach/

So you be sayin?

no , but some gallic ones i heard.

you're clearly a victim of white supremist editing

the fact that you use an african king picture to mock me is qute ironic, considering most roman emperors looked exactly like Muammar Gaddafi

The actual marble bust of Septimius Severus looks like your average Italian. That picture has nothing to do with anything you lying shitskin nigger monkey.

SHEEEIT MANN!! DID U KNO THAT JESUS WAZ ALSO BLACK??? SO WUZ DEM ANCIET CHINEESE PEOPLES AND SHIEET

It's also spelled Septimius not Septimus you imbecilic archaic hominid. Idiotic shitskin monkey person kys.

>African King
>Gaddafi
You are really retarded aren't you?

Octavius Cesar Augustus

>One coin where Constantine looks black
I'll share a couple that shows he was white

Elagabalus

SHIEEET!!!! I GOT ONE STATUE THAT BE MAKIN DEM AUGUST EMPEROR AND SHIEET LOOKING BLACK!!!!! DONT LOOK AT ALL DEM OTHER STATUES DAT BE SHOWIN HIM AZ A WHITE BOY!!!

and yet

OH SHITT WAITTT A MINNUTE

We have statues and pictures, he looked standard Mediterranean.

one could argue standard mediterraneans are a type of light skinned blacks

also you're wrong and lying

Nigger faggot, i'm a standard Mediterranean and I lose my tan during winter you fucking ape

When the romans ruled it, libyans looked like the white guy on the left. And even if he was a nigger, pretty much all his subordinates were white.

You look like light skinned blacks to me, but I'm fair so its possible you have some nordic blood in you after white people destroyed afrotalian culture

*Septimius

Those are just niggers you stupid nigger

That's not Septimus in the picture. There's just a generic fresco black guy. "Half-Libyan" in those days meant "Half-Phonecian." He was as Mediterranean as the rest of Rome. Not even sandnigger like Libya today. Blacks aren't even from Libya period at any time.

They are italians, if italians are blacks then you just conceded that I'm correct.

Stupid retarded nigger stay in Africa nigger

>some historians
Which?

And with that you just lost the argument whiteboy, italy is our home too

thanks for participating

Kys niggerleech schumbag

>Septimus Severus

damn I was just reading about this dude and his family yesterday. Severus was one of the first emperors to be sympathetic to Christianity. his sons Gela and Caracalla were some of the WORST people in history, and his grandson, Elagabalus, tried to force the romans to switch from worshipping Jupiter to some semitic sun-god called Ba'al... and he was a huge fucking faggot who wanted someone to "furnish him with female genitalia".

The Severan dynasty was one of the worst things to happen to Rome.

are we being raided? by who?

remember that the british people called you "potato niggers" and there might be some truth to that claim

i can certainly perceive some light skinned african genotype in your facial features

but there's not much history about Ireland so it might always be a mistery

Ye sure ok

That's not Septimius Severus. That's a Hellenistic tomb painting from Fayum in Egypt depicting an Ethiopian merchant.

You can find it in the plate section of Laszlo Torok's book, "Hellenizing Art in Ancient Nubia and Its Egyptian Models".

This is Septimius Severus. Also note how the named is spelled, OP.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septimius_Severus

And that is why the Roman Empire collapsed. They started to become inclusive of foreigners and gve them positions of power. He came after the great Emperors which built up the Empire, and contributed to its decline.

Thanks for bringing it up so we can learn today from the mistakes of the past.

Zero race mixing.

Here's an actual painting of him. He just looks like your average swarthy italian

He looks generic med, not really Italian but if he said he was I'd believe him.

thank you for bringing literally no proof whatsoever

ITT: people believing these statues were faithful representations of the actual individuals rather than what they wanted to represent themselves as. go watch Mary Beard lectures on this subject and then come back with a more informed opinion.

*Geta

Actually, the Severan dynasty was a mixed bag, as most dynasties were. Septimius Severus is generally credited as one of the best Emperors (and probably the best from the late period). The decadence of Rome started at the end of the Republic, and one could argue that the Julio-Claudians were already as bad - if not worse - than anything that came after them. After all, they were the ones who set all the precedents.

You need to go back to your history books, son.
The decline started way before the Severus dynasty. During the first triunvirate you already had barbarian chieftains in the Senate, and the policy of "romanizing" provincial leaders within the extended imperial family was a common practice that dated back to the Julio-Claudians. The edict of Caracalla was just the natural step forward in a process that had begun long before.

>half-Libyan
>pre-Ottoman rule
The entire middle east and north africa was far whiter before the Ottomans shoved millions of sub-Saharan slaves into all their controlled territory.

Berbers weren't white but they sure as fuck weren't black. That's like saying Iranians are Chinese.

>average swarthy italian

Or as the saying goes, "a light skinned african"

AHAHAHAH

Pescennius Niger is the only one we could say was probably black. And even that is disputed. He only ruled for a few months in the year of the five emperors.

>some historians think his appearance might have passed for black in modern America.
>some

< ancient libya wuz black!

>we could say was probably black
Based on what? He's from an old Italian family. He absolutely was not black.

looks black on the coins and the name literally means "black".

Phillip the arab

Septimius was descended from Punics Phoenicians nobility in northern africa and a Italian Roman ancestry.
He was half breed of semites and romans.

He wasn't really that good of an emperor and gave birth to two most autistic emperor in history.(especially pleb-tier Caracalla who ruined empire with giving every person in the empire citizenship...) and his nephew was a degenerate twink who was obsessed with becoming a plausible trap(Elagabalus)

Sure, Geta and Caracalla are more autistic than Tiberius, Caligula, Nero, Domitian and Commodus. Good grief.

WE

I studied classics.. North Africa was Roman area for over 200 years when Septimus became emperor. It is highly likely that he had some Phoenician blood (which nowadays isnt a race anymore, Tunesian at best). However, this definately was not regarded as black nor would it have been now. Moreover, he was a Roman as it gets, which i guess was more important to Romans than the color of skin (except black, which historically never seemed to get credit)

someone post the pic of the niggers who think mayan step farms are giant stairs.

Shit argument.
Niger was an opponent of Albinus (which means white).
Barbarossa literally means red beard. His beard wasn't red though. He had brown hair which looked red when contrasted to his black hair.
The name russo and rossi are common Italian surnames. They mean red. It can refer to complexion, hair (like above), or maybe they drank too much and their face got red.
Russo is also the term for Russian. I can assure you the people with the last name Russo are not descended from Russians.
Mauro is also a common Italian surname, derives from moor, it can mean the person had moorish ancestry or, more likely, they had a dark complexion.
Ahenobarbus is Roman cognomen meaning red-beard, literally "bronze-beard", probably similar derivation as barbarossa.
The english surname black is an occupation name in reference to a blacksmith. Doesn't mean that they're black.
Need I continue?

I always imagined Nero as a ginger fag.
If you don't, that's your problem.
We don't have proof either way of all these people's true colours and faces.

>We don't have proof either way of all these people's true colours and faces.
Sure we do.
Paint gets trapped in marble and then, with computers, some of it can be unlocked even after being lost all those years ago.

Not saying all Roman emperors were some great embodiment for perfection.

>Tiberius was normal emperor but a traitor who killed based god Germanicus so his kid Drusus would become next heir, but after his Drusus death became a apathetic nihilist..(We Wuz Kaizerz)

>Caligula was horrible but he has a lot of revisionism about him because he opposed rich senate and praetorian guard. There are shit tons of propaganda written about him.

>Nero was literally ancap and did nothing wrong.

>Domitian was an ok emperor but hated because once again... because he was authoritarian and opposed rich senate class...

>Commodus was uneducated larper who inherited a gigantic fathers legacy and ruined it because his "philosopher kings" daddy was "too smart to" raise a good kid.

>It is highly likely that he had some Phoenician blood (which nowadays isnt a race anymore, Tunesian at best).
Some Lebanese enclaves claim to be descendant of Phoenicians
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenicianism

Ok, so you have one of Caligula.
Now try all the other Emperors.

And this considering that it is a bust of Caligula, which it could very well not be, as Mary Beard has demonstrated in her lectures.

>Now try all the other Emperors.
We don't have all of them. A lot of times the paint really is lost. We have Augustus.
We also have contemporary descriptions of them. While Suetonius was known for being gossipy, when multiple physical descriptions from different people, eras, and locations have the same or similar descriptions - odds are it's fairly accurate.

Literally hijacking a white man show as your history.

I know all of that, no need to make a dissertation.
I was just questioning the idea that Septimius Severus' children were "the worst emperors in history". There is nothing to suggest that. Furthermore, Caracalla can also be presented as a decent emperor if you ignore the supposed "revisionism" of his opponents. There is nothing to suggest he was any worse than Tiberius, much less Caligula or Nero.

The Romans were engaged in a conspiracy to hide their blackness you Nazi shitlord.

Ok, so how do you go from there to "Pescennius Niger was obviously not black"?. You can't say for sure. That was my point.

Fucking crackers always lying.
Also Macrinus was the first pure bloded black african roman emperor.

He was of an old Roman family in a time before intercontinental travel. That's how.
You sound like the morons who try to claim Mozart was black. Fuck off.

>Septimus Severus
Well this is what his statue looked like.

Looked caucasoid. Also the source I found for that pic was from a black supremacist website.

I don't claim Mozart was black.
I'm not interested in conspiracy theories and WE WUZ KANGZ arguments.
I just like to imagine Nero as a ginger fag and Pescennius Niger as an armoured Heathcliff.
Sue me.

Not everything is a racial issue, dumb fuck.

>Not everything is a racial issue, dumb fuck.
It is when you make it.

Nero is believed to have light brown/reddish hair (or beard), so you're not entirely wrong.

That's the "Antonine" look, with a beard and curly hair that some of the Severans liked to be represented as in a reference to Antoninus Pius and what they thought was the golden age of the Empire. In these busts image and filiation counts more than the actual faithful representation of the model. Take Marcus Aurelius, Antoninus Pius, Commodus and Septimius Severus and you'd have a hard time differentiating them only by looking at the faces. Commodus is usually represented with a lion skin (Hercules incarnate) and that's how you can tell it's him, but the bust could very well be some other emperor to whom the lion skin was then added. They were always tampering with pre-existent busts and statues, which makes it very difficult to tell who's who. Caracalla is perhaps the most idiosyncratic representation of, but even that bust can't be said to be Caracalla with 100% certainty.

I didn't say they were "the worst emperors in history".
I said they were autistic.

Caracalla did do some good administration in city of rome and built a lot of good buildings.
But he did more bad for empire then even Caligula did and his actions prove that.

Caracalla was a very wroth and tempered emperor who made more harm to empire then good.
>Destabilised the roman military command(which added for crisis of thrid century)
>Sacked high profit egyptians cities(which added for crisis of thrid century)
>Crushed senate principate entirely(which added for crisis of thrid century)
>Made all population citizens of rome(which added for crisis of thrid century)
>Created giant tax for plebeians and after that killed them, basically robbing his citizens
>Became a "WE WUZ ALEXANDER CONQUEROR N'SHIET" and started a massive war with Persians and lost humiliatingly.
etc.
He basically led a pathway for crisis of third century which destroyed an Empire. Won't be surprised if he really was secretly a nigger.

The crisis of the Third Century was pretty much inevitable, Caracalla or not.

>"He wasn't really that good of an emperor and gave birth to two most autistic emperor in history.(especially pleb-tier Caracalla who ruined empire with giving every person in the empire citizenship...)"

granted you didn't say "the worst emperors", but they surely can't be counted as "the most autistic" when you had Commodus and before him about 75% of the Julio-Claudians. The only "good" dynasty was the Nerva-Antonine dynasty up until Commodus.

It could have been preventable if Aurelius didn't make his shit son Commodus a heir.
Or if Alexander Severus wasn't killed by his generals(which was point of no return)

I agree.
But by the time Caracalla became emperor, giving Roman citizenship to everyone was already a strategy of survival. The measures that would eventually make the empire collapse had already been taken progressively.