The 90's were simpler times

A man who says he was offended by the ability of a CD-ROM encyclopedia to find racial slurs in its own text has sued the encyclopedia's publisher in Federal District Court in Los Angeles for $40 million.

The plaintiff, Thomas D. Wallace of Omaha, says he and his sons suffered emotional distress after finding the word "nigger" in the Compton's Interactive Encyclopedia, published by Compton's Newmedia of Carlsbad, Calif. The suit also names Compton's owner, the Tribune Company of Chicago, and Best Buy, the store that sold Mr. Wallace the software.

Mr. Wallace, who is black, said he discovered the slur when he inadvertently typed "nigger" while searching for references to the Niger River. In response, the computer found references under "Drama," "Martin Luther King Jr.," "Black Americans or African Americans" and "English Literature."

A Tribune spokesman, Robert Carr, said the word appeared in Compton's Interactive encyclopedia in these contexts:

*An article citing "The Nigger of the Narcissus," the novel by Joseph Conrad.

*The titles of two plays: "The Nigger" by Edward Sheldon and "The Electronic Nigger" by Ed Bullins.

*The title of a book by the comedian Dick Gregory titled "Up From Nigger."

*A passage from the biography of Dr. King, recalling an incident when he was 11 and a white woman struck him and called him "nigger."

*An article about Carl Van Vechten, who established the Weldon Johnson Memorial Collection of Negro Arts and Letters, now at Yale University. One of Mr. Van Vechten's essays is titled "Nigger Heaven."

"The complaint is without merit," said another Tribune spokesman, Joseph A. Hays, adding, "It's just plain silly."

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=G39AJrNlWw4
youtu.be/7dfDdEnQZPQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald's_Restaurants
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Nigs gonna nig

What the fuck legal grounds does he have? "Emotional distress" is a comically ill-defined term and the product performed as advertised - it pulled up examples of literature containing the word. It doesn't even really make sense for him to get offended, it's not like the program called him the word or suggested anything remotely racist. It performed as advertised. He typed in a word and it showed him literature containing said word. In fact, he's at fault here for making the typo in the first place.

Holy shit even by frivolous lawsuit standards this one's retarded. Get your shit together, burgers.

We can't be the only ones suffering from nigger fatigue. This shit never ends with these fucks.

youtube.com/watch?v=G39AJrNlWw4

My guess is that it was just a ploy to try squeeze some money from the publisher and the book store.

Just a quick addendum, he's going to win this case. It's a federal district court in Los Angeles, California. On the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. They're not even going to open the case file, they'll give him the money.

KEK but this was from 1995 see. see how we have progressed since then? from words to statues.

UK lawfag here.

Punitive damages are the reason the American legal system is so shit. If you tried to sue for $40 million here you would be laughed at and have your case thrown out. There's even a book filled with typical payouts for the loss of different limbs and body parts in negligence cases and most of those don't go above £100,000.

i cant find any follow up as to whether the suit was tossed or not. hope it was. probably was.

I laughed so hard at those book titles, fuck man I want to time travel to Jim Crowe America so bad, seems like a fucking riot xD

>he's going to win this case

Gee user, maybe work on your reading comprehension before you get mad.

What bullshit, punitive damages are one of the very few effective resources an American has. When a doctor is circumcising my dick I want him thinking about the millions I am going to bleed him for if he fucks up.

*recourses

He won't win, he'll just keep them in court for more than it's worth and they'll settle

why is this news here?

why would I possibly care about this lunatic?

sage

its just a throwback to simpler times b4 BLM and statues coming down. First its words then its statues. see the process?

Frivolous lawsuits were the gold rush of the 90s. Everybody was trying to strike it rich.

You're retarded, friend. This case will also be laughed out of court. Punitive damages are necessary to stop companies from doing the math and saying things like "yeah, a hundred more babies a year will die if we don't include this widget in our car seat, but the cost of one hundred baby deaths is less than putting the widget in our million car seats".

By the way, before you go giving out law advice to civilized countries, you should probably check to make sure you aren't in a country with legalized Muslim rape gangs, where mean words on Twitter are high priority crimes, and you could go to jail for holding a butter knife. Your country is an unimaginable, humiliating, contemptible legal disaster. If you are a part of the legal system there, you should immediately kill yourself.

Don't kid yourself. You're a 3rd world country. Your own president is confirming that in his speeches all the time.

this is why we have them

youtu.be/7dfDdEnQZPQ

What if it had ni references to nigger? He would still sue but for attempting ti remove racism from american history and literature.

They always have something to sue over, reasin to demand a full refund for an empty food wrapper, and a reason to riot and burn shit down, or just beat a white person and set them on fire.

>Your country is an unimaginable, humiliating, contemptible legal disaster

This is hyperbole.

The UK law is replicated around the world. It has stood well over time.

Here's a perfect example of some case law demonstrating what i'm talking about.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald's_Restaurants

>sitting in a car
>put coffee between legs
>spill the coffee
>scald self
>go to court
>jury thinks a fair quantum of damage is to give her $160,000 in compensatory damages and $2,700,000 in punitive damages
>judge has to curtail their stupidity but still would have given her $480,000 in punitive damages plus the compensation

>Your country is an unimaginable, humiliating, contemptible legal disaster

Nonsense. There is a reason our law is frequently used by international parties in Hong Kong, China, Singapore and the UAE and not US law.

What was the outcome?
He had a pc in 95 so must have been well off.
Did his children make it out the suburbs?
Are they still alive?
Did he get his payday?
Where's the answers

What's your legal system based on fat?

While your supposition about car seats shows how you might attempt to solve it. Corporate manslaughter simply makes it illegal without encouraging frivolous get rich quick lawsuits like yours. The Ogden tables are a lot more sensible than your approach of punitive damages.