Capitalism in action

How much does it cost in America to see a solar eclipse and why can't you just walk on a mountain?

Other urls found in this thread:

autoguide.com/auto-news/2017/05/the-most-expensive-city-for-parking-is-no-surprise.html
youtube.com/watch?v=HeINuQ56KD4
investopedia.com/terms/r/rentseeking.asp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>everybody complains about losing productivity due to eclipse viewing
>smart business actually decides to take advantage of it and turn a profit
>gets attacked for it
Make up your mind America.

100 for a full day is not that bad

>Eclipse parking

100 for a day is pretty bad.

autoguide.com/auto-news/2017/05/the-most-expensive-city-for-parking-is-no-surprise.html
>For daily parking, Sydney leads the way at an average of $46.73, while London is in second at $45.01. Also in the top five are New York ($41.58), Brisbane ($36.38) and Paris ($35.19). But after purchasing parity power adjustment, London edges out Sydney as the most expensive for daily parking with an average rate of $57.51.

So this is how Donald reduced the national debt in 1 day

I'm in the 99.97% totality range and will be seeing it for free from my backyard in the appalachian mountains.

I'm in San Diego. Supposed to see 60% of totality. Good enough for me I guess.

>park everyday without paying a single cent
>Now have to pay a "parking" fee
I wonder whose behind this glorious idea

It really depends on your location. I had a colleague fly up to Portland for a few hundred bucks, staying with family. I heard on the news someone was staying in a shipping container complete with A/C, wifi, electricity for $3500 a night. Crazy.

>$500/wk
Do they know how long solar eclipses last?

People use it as an excuse to take a week vacation.

It will go from the west coast to the east coast in 90 minutes.

>Pay early bird rate for next eclipse in 2024
> Only $10,000

Losers can't wait until Labor Day? It's right around the corner.

That's called supply and demand, stupid nigger. That's completely independent of private ownership of the means of production.

Are u joking

That's fucking price gouging

>WAHHH THINGS THAT ARE IN HIGH DEMAND SHOULD ALSO BE FREE
>PEOPLE WHO OWN PROPERTY HAVE ---NO RIGHT--- TO DENY ME USE OF THEIR PROPERTY!!!
>PRIVATE PROPERTY IS A SOCIAL CONSTRUCT EVERYTHING BELONGS TO THE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here, see an eclipse.

free. no need to thank me.
youtube.com/watch?v=HeINuQ56KD4

never look at the sun, not even with special glasses.

>using the term "price gouging" to describe someone raising the price of parking for a once-in-a-decade event

>using the term "price gouging" at all

increasing price to match increased demand is not OOGITY BOOGITY BIG EVIL PRICE GOUGING

it's economics

kill yourself

Wouldn't it be something if the path of totality occurred 300 miles to the north? People would be furious.

clear blues sky where I live, eclipse starts around 1:00, waiting on the chem trails, keep you posted

It is rent seeking.

It offers no benefit to society by means of wealth creation like most other businesses.

>mfw I bought special Amazon prime only solar binoculars a week ago with 2 day shipping
>mfw I found out I won't be getting these glasses until hours after the eclipse because Amazon decided to charge me for a free Amazon prime offer days after I activated it and I was short a couple bux.

This eclipse better not fuck up my camera.

society benefits as a whole the more wealth is created

>#WOKE Sup Forums user proves that all forms of rent should be abolished! Rent doesn't "create wealth"!

wow WTF I HATE my landlord now

>society benefits as a whole the more wealth is created
Sure but charging massively extra for parking doesn't create any wealth it only redistributes it.

>Not just watching it from your house

>Eclipse parking

Fucking why? It's not like you can't step outside and luck up.

which is a good thing

look*

There are places where its seen better. Also stop crying, the path of best views is a straight-ish line, just go somehere else if you don't wanna pay.

Rent is required to maintain and operate a building. It provides a service in terms of the building.
The price raise which will return to it's normal rate the day after for day parking, or by the end of the week for week parking is not giving any benefit.

>thinks everyone can see the eclipse from their house
Thanks common core!

Things are always getting darker in Canada if you know what I mean

danker, more like XD

you can faggot
if you want to park on someone else's land: you can't
unless they decide you can
and then they can charge you what they want
guess what?
THAT IS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL THING THAT EXISTS ON EARTH
AND I'VE SEEN SOME VERY NICE VAGINAS
Fuck you nigger EU fag and your 'capitalism is jewry' nignogging
jews hate capitalism, so they shill that it's jewry so you'll hate it

>all that pixelation on a 1080p stream
no thanks. I'll just look out my window.

Jesus christ......How are people this dumb?

It's giving someone a benefit for being clever enough to profit from something normal people wouldn't even think of.

It's gotten so bad marxists are now going to battle the matriarchy.

it's giving a benefit to the owner of the parking lot

it's giving a benefit to the people who are willing to pay more for parking so they can have a good spot to see the eclipse from

Are you saying you would be okay if the raised the price of parking this high as long as the raise was permanent? You're somehow butthurt because they're only doing it for one day to match the increased demand for that single day?

What if they had this same level of demand every day and thus were able to charge this price for parking every single day? Would it still be price gouging?

>It's giving someone a benefit for being clever enough to profit from something normal people wouldn't even think of.
So if the same people got the government to give them a 'parking business' subsidy for their one day business you think that's a benefit by being clever enough to get a subsidy?

>What if they had this same level of demand every day and thus were able to charge this price for parking every single day? Would it still be price gouging?
No it would not. However what we both know is that this is a 'one day' price to take advantage of a limit time event. Lets say that a hurricane is coming and the price of everything goes up 10 to 1000 times the 'normal' price. Is that helping everyone?

By you reasoning;
It is giving benefit to the store owners by making huge profits.
It is giving benefit to the people wanting to buy supplies.

I would say that the government is too dumb in that case. But government doesn't matter here. It's a private citizen doing one day/week business with another private citizen. No one is forcing you to park there, there is a 5500 kilometer line where the eclipse can be seen from the US.

The cost is free. Yes you can walk on a mountain because we are a nation of freedom.

You should try freedom in you're nation OP. But you won't get it when you're ruled by sand niggers who want nothing more than to kill you off.

Is that a yes or a no?
Is benefit gained by getting a subsidy by 'being clever' enough to trick someone into giving it to them?

Raising prices during a natural disaster is a completely different thing than charging for parking higher during an eclipse.

No one is being forced to pay for parking there. People who value watching an eclipse 100 dollars will pay, people who don't will keep driving. There is no trickery.

It benefits the people who are willing to pay more (who want the thing more) because they're able to get the thing that they want. We don't live in LE FULLY AUTOMATED SPACE COMMUNISM XD so supply isn't unlimited.

Yes, the people who don't want it as much as the other people willing to pay that price are SOL, as are the people who simply don't have enough money. That is what is known as "life isn't fair" and you aren't always able to get everything you want.

Now show us your flag you retarded fucking leaf.

How can a ball roll uphill?

how about you faggots deal with it or pay the fee to park on someone elses property
or better luck next time. maybe buy a 10x10 plot someplace :^)

>Raising prices during a natural disaster is a completely different thing than charging for parking higher during an eclipse.
I can't see any difference. Neither is a productive behavior that is a benefit to anyone but the exploiter.
Please explain how they are different.

>No one is being forced to pay for parking there. People who value watching an eclipse 100 dollars will pay, people who don't will keep driving. There is no trickery.
Follow the thread of conversation. I'm asking if the parking owners got a government subsidy, would that be a benefit because they were 'clever enough to profit from something normal people wouldn't even think of.' ?

Please stop dodging the question.

>It benefits the people who are willing to pay more (who want the thing more) because they're able to get the thing that they want. We don't live in LE FULLY AUTOMATED SPACE COMMUNISM XD so supply isn't unlimited.
So you think that price gouging in disasters is a benefit to society. I strongly disagree.
>Yes, the people who don't want it as much as the other people willing to pay that price are SOL, as are the people who simply don't have enough money. That is what is known as "life isn't fair" and you aren't always able to get everything you want.
>Now show us your flag you retarded fucking leaf.
Yeah?

> American
> walking

Pick one, OP.

Now that I think of it, there isn't much difference, as the only one, and the one I based the reply on, is that people are moral enough to not profit from their fellow citizen's misery and desesperation. It is also a terrible business practice as no one will want you after the thing happened and everything returns to normal.

YES, it would be a benefit. They are clever enough to get money from a source many wouldn't think of. Just because it benefits only them doesn't make it less true.

>YES, it would be a benefit. They are clever enough to get money from a source many wouldn't think of. Just because it benefits only them doesn't make it less true.
Well that was almost the text book definition of Rent Seeking, so while you may or may not be correct in terms of actual society benefit, in terms of the term you are 100% wrong.

>how much does it cost
As much as you're dumb enough to pay

>why can't you just walk on a mountain?
You can. You can also just sit in the fucking neighborhood park and watch the sky get dim for a bit.

>but muh totality
Yes its a neat event but every one of these people paying hundreds of dollars to see this 3 minute thing could have spent a week on something that they wont be disappointed in afterward.

>All these retards road-tripping to ideal spots and getting bilked like morons
>Meanwhile, Texas and Oklahoma, we're getting 89% coverage, like many other places

Most of these idiots are putting all this time and effort just to see a 10% stronger eclipse. It's retarded.

Same

>uncle owns a bed and breakfast in South Carolina
>100% range
>sold out
>even renting out the backlot to RV and tent people
>best week of business in nearly 25 years of owning the place
>he got a bunch of free glasses a while back and was selling them for $10 a pair
>kept some in reserve
>called me this morning laughing because a pair of New Yorkers came in offering $50 a pair
>told them he only had "his personal pairs" left but could sell them two for $150.
>they bought 'em

People are fucking stupid. Business was so good that the money will pay for him a vacation later this year AND renovations to the property.

>It doesn't create wealth - it redistributes it
>mfw retards literally dont understand the fucking definition of economics is the study of scarce resources and their uses/using them efficiently, and redistributing them to where they are demanded and used is what is required in a good economic model
pls kys

You can see the sun from literally anywhere. I support this money gouging to rip off retards.

>semantics

He would benefit from having more money. What is the problem?

Me and you go for walk, I say hey tell me a joke and I will pay you $100.
You tell me a joke and I pay you $100.
A bit later on you say hey tell me a story and I will pay you $100.
I tell you a story and you pay me $100.

Now did we just raise the GDP by $200? Or did nothing economically speaking happen?

no, me and you dont go for a walk because i dont hang around faggots. kys my man.

Nothing happened. Everyone heard that joke before.

are you fucking stupid or a child? now actually do it right by saying those 2 people are different countries with 1 having exclusive trade agreements

Okay so the USA says hey Canada I will give you 1 billion dollars if you tell me a joke. So Canada says look at our PM.
Everyone has a good chuckle and the money is paid.

Canada says hey USA I will pay you 1 billion dollars if you tell me a story.
So the USA tells the story of how Hillary Clinton lost the presidency, and Canada pays 1 billion dollars.

Now what economical value was created by that?
The point is that if no costs were incurred, no products made, nothing consumed nothing of benefit was made. Sure both were entertained but that doesn't make wealth. You can't become wealthy by trading stories with each other, or performing plays, or cutting hair.

At best those are all the maintenance costs of having populations do other wealth creating work. The cost of for example a car includes all the entertainment of the workers that make the vehicle. From the miners digging up the ore, to the sales people that finish the deal.

>How much does it cost in America to see a solar eclipse
Depends on the demand, it looks like it is amazingly high.
> why can't you just walk on a mountain?
We have 4 mountain ranges in our continental united states, I am sure some of us our doing that. If we can get away with not paying we will.

>What is the problem?
investopedia.com/terms/r/rentseeking.asp

In short the problem is; ' Rent-seeking becomes a problem when entities engage in it to increase their share of the economic pie without increasing the size of the pie.'

You can just climb a mountain, literally nothing to stop you. Not everyone is charging for parking. Even for those who are, it's your choice to pay for it. For most people, it costs $0 to watch the eclipse.

Boise Idaho here. Going to be watching it from my patio

There are plenty of places to watch it for free. And most places I've seen are only charging $10

Well, why are you out there selling overpriced sunglasses to people?

>it offers no benefit to society
The parking lot will be less crowded & spots will be reserved for those who desire to watch the eclipse most urgently.

This. There's no need to benefit the society from every deal made. I have a lot, you want to park in it to watch the eclipse, I charge you for it. Normally I wouldn't, but normally you'd come and buy stuff from my store. Now you won't, because you just want to see the eclipse. Tough luck.

Means more supply is likely to be incoming (eventually, prices will drop because competitors will come) and prevents people from buying excessive amounts of flashlights for instance. Prices help to find an equilibrium between supply and demand.

Value is subjective and the redistribution of scarce resources is important too.

Price gouging is using an adverse situation to turn a profit (i.e. hotels over-charging for rooms right after a flood or earthquake)
Charging 100 dollars for people who want to see the eclipse is the same thing as over-charging for parking in any tourist hotspot.