It's clear that brexit didn't/isn't deal(ing) as big of a blow to the European Union as hoped

It's clear that brexit didn't/isn't deal(ing) as big of a blow to the European Union as hoped.

The EU will need at least one more blow before it's destiny is sealed.

Where could that blow come from?
Are any other nations considering an EU referendum or anything similar?

Don't look at us, Italy or Visegrad will make it before us.

I know you're out of the picture, you already had your chance

But Italy?
Isn't their only anti-EU chance Beppe Grillo?
The Visegrad, yes, but i was hoping for something from one nation more inbound in the union. Like Spain, Germany (kek) or something

Visegrad's always been not entirely EU, kind of

PIIGS Nations. They are the ones who've suffered most from being in the eurozone. Also some of the more nationalistic countries.

Never said they're going to make it, just that they will make it before us. For France, as long as Boomers are alive, it can't happen.

Italy OTOH is not afraid of giving the finger to the EU (from what I've read which might be wrong) and where there's an electorate, there's a candidate, sooner or later.

I don't know about V4 that much.

Hopefully, Poland digs in its heels on "refugees" and "migrants" and Hungary backs it up. The Trump administration, too, from 2016 to 2024.

>PIIGS Nation
My perception is that the Mediterranean countries have received huge wads of cash from countries like Germany so that their people can collect pensions and lounge around in the sun. Am I wrong?

There is one part in Finland who is trying to do it. They got 17% percent of votes in last elections.

top kek, once the Civil war here starts you´ll have what you wished for

I was hoping for a more peaceful solution...

Italy is a net contributor, Greece is fucked but we shouldn't have let them in into the Eurozone in the first place, Spain is complicated, Ireland was doing well as a tax haven for a time, don't know about now.

The expression PIIGS is a 80's thing to make it short.

>Where could that blow come from?
Our best shot was with the French election. Germany's EU position won't change during this election so either wait for the next election cycle or hope for a financial collapse followed by civil war.

Civil war is the most peaceful solution left :^)

Thanks for your input. Italy makes sense, with tourism, cars and motorcycles, and food alone. I think high tech is taking off in Ireland.

I forgot about Portugal then again you hardly ever hear about them in the news.

I would venture it will be some former bloc countries that get sweetheart deals from Putin. France and Germany, the two cornerstones economically, have zero reason to leave. U.K. Only wanted out so they could declare war as a sovereign nation without EU interference when the US comes knocking

Even in Europe? Here they are never in the news. Maybe no news is good news, though.

Last time I heard about them was about how French people love to go there for their vacations. I don't even remember hearing about them for anything else to be honest. Portuguese are nice people as far as I know so yeah, I hope this means good news for them.

I´m an Englishman in Spain. The EU funding has been great for improving the infrastructure, with the new big Mediterranean motorway project, full of tunnels and big bridges and the like. This field never really built up the steam it needed in Spain, thanks to the disruptions that have gone on politically all the way back since Napoleon´s invasion (there´s a lack of rail links between important points that astounds me, for instance - it just never got built in the 19th century). So there you have an obvious visible benefit.

The OTHER side of the coin, however, is that local industry has been gutted, to fit in with various EU-wide strategies (mostly to the benefit of German manufacturers), the place has filled up with Balkan immigrants, and the Spanish state has its hands tied when it comes to border security (they really ought to be SHOOTING the Africans swarming over the fences in Ceuta and Melilla, for instance). An exacerbating factor is that local politicians have less accountability, given that there´s now another layer of power beyond Spain, where they can run off to to make themselves personally rich.

Not all problems are the EU´s fault, but I look around this small town and see shops closing down that have been run by the same families for generations. I see young people fleeing for the UK, for Germany and for Switzerland.

Sounds like what Spain needs is enough political stability to let companies build up the infrastructure and profit with tolls. Build toll rail links between important points, etc.

Is there anything we could try to meme into happening, like we did with Trump?

To be honest, the place has been fucked over since the 1600s. The bureaucratic mindset is too entrenched. Franco´s the only leader who ever really managed anything here, but his hands were largely tied by the poverty that followed the destruction of the civil war and the unfriendly international situation after 1945. I look to the USA for change at the moment, and that goes for the rest of Europe too.

Amazing how the most powerful and wealthiest empire in the world ended this way. At least Rome was smashed by barbarian invaders.

Well, the Napoleonic invasion could stand in for that, in some respects. But we shouldn´t lose sight of how great it was while it lasted. Look at pictures of Mexican and Peruvian cities in the 1700s, for instance. Spain had a good innings. Many empires have been more short-lived. It´s the usual phenomenon of those who were First being later overtaken. Like Germany overtook England in industry, or how the Semites took advantage of everything the Sumerians had achieved. China might do the same with the regard to the USA or the West more generally speaking, it remains to be seen.

In Holland we have a new right wing party (Forum for Democratie)who is gaining lots of support. One key point from then is to leave the EU. Second biggest party (Party for Freedom) also wants that and both of them want to stop the immigration. They're my only hope left for my country

>China might do the same with the regard to the USA or the West more generally speaking, it remains to be seen.
A thousand years of darkness if that happens. Censorship and brainwashing.

Dunno, but we are pretty tied up in the EU with all the supposed money we are getting that we are not using to capacity because regulations, beurocracy and corruption prevent absorbition, and all the foreign investment that is supposedly because of the EU and the large number of people working in the EU, makes it unlikely that Romania would decouple especially since almost every government since the revolution has promoted no noticeable national development, and that idea is usually relegated to small to medium native firms or inventions and developments of people who won't sell for a pittance that get ignored or regulated against without people noticing (at least they are not assassinated but eh...)

So with a overlord style gov that is responsible not to the population but foreigners and a population that believes their economy is dependent on the EU and the refugee crisis mostly invisible in Romania, I don't see much chances of a split, especially since there is little public discourse on it to even introduce it in general consciousness as a viable possibility.

If those are the conditions, then it´s already been going for decades!

Indeed. Sad how beholden the Chinese are to whatever government rules the country because of a nationalistic cult. No offense, but that isn't the mentality that produces 1776.

it's too late, negotiations are over

Ethnic cleansing is the only way forward