Virginia Gubernatorial Election

Can someone from Virginia give me a quick rundown on these two candidates?

Meh pick your poison. Both are pretty well credentialed. Both will probably keep the status quo in VA.

Northam is actually from VA; eastern shore born. Medical doctor. Smart guy. Seems he won't do much more than keep the State going in the same direction which is a lot of money to NoVA/Hampton Roads.

Gillespie is for all the standard GOP platforms; abortion no except for rape/incest. Less money for education. Tax cut. All the usual stuff.

Virginia has done pretty well for itself and honestly there's no need to rock the boat. Military spending will increase under Trump (MAYBE) and Virginia will benefit.

Is Northam as crooked as McAuliffe, or is he much better?

Much better. Eastern shore has small town values. Guy is so clean he practically shines in the dark. I'm hoping neither will go low because neither of them really have the character for it. I'm sure closer we get to Nov other groups will start paying for their attack ads.

Right now they are just laying platforms out there. Honestly NoVA is really pissed off at how the Fed Gov't is treating a lot of their workers. Wouldn't be surprised if they deliver Northam the state easily. The Primary voting was overwhelming. Easily the biggest turn out in years.

That's what pissed me off about the 2013 election. It was all low-brow attacks, and I was just sick of it.

I just wouldn't know character wise they would attack him on. He graduated from VMI which has a very strict honor code, Army doctor, neuro pediatrician. I mean come on.

Gillespie is what a lot of people called McAuliffe. Carpet bagger etc. But the guy is clean as well. Like I said both have great character but standard platform stuff and in the only southern state that carried Clinton I don't see it swinging in any other direction.

So you think it'll remain in the democrat's column?

Yeah I mean most aren't unhappy with the direction of the state. Most of the economy is in three places: Law/Banking in RVA area, Government in NoVA, and military in Hampton.

Budget is good. Business is solid. Trump is a motivator though and the Dem primary numbers basically crushed the GOP numbers of the two GOP primary candidates combined.

I wish NoVA would get carpet bombed, honestly. It's the fakest, and worst part of Virginia.

But what you've been saying is true, both politicians are very run of the mill, and won't do anything special.
I'm pretty sure Virginia is lost to the dems.

That's a bummer too, because the dems ruined NoVa. I grew up here and I remember it being a nice place to live. Now it just sucks.

>I'm pretty sure Virginia is lost to the dems.

Virginia is a pretty moderate state. We've got some in the General Assembly and State Senate that are good reps regardless of D or R in the name. For the most part I like living here because I can make decent money and not deal with some sort of uber-progressive or uber-conservative bullshit. The state works because both sides can meet in the middle and not fuck up the economy.

I've also noticed the dems in this state tend to be better than most others.

>because the dems ruined NoVa

You do realize like both house of the state General Assembly are R controlled. A lot of conservatives in and around NoVA.

Not in Arlington.

>The state works because both sides can meet in the middle and not fuck up the economy.
I'll agree that nobody rocks the boat (excluding mcauliffe) and maintains a balanced system. However I think the state works because we all stay in our respective areas, so we don't really have conflicts over things.
Still NoVA and the coast is lost due to DC spillover and a lot of people moving here.

Nothing happens here (good, or bad), and it has some of the best gun laws in the country... So I'm conent where I'm at.

NoVa is Capital City from the Hunger Games. Many, many people working for fed govt or contractors have gotten wealthy the past 8 or so years on dough extracted from taxpayers.
They are not voting for Republicans.

>it has some of the best gun laws in the country

Exactly. I'm pretty liberal (abortion, min wage, etc.) but hell man I enjoy owning a gun and the State is very gun friendly. So you're right no one gets bent out of shape and anytime I talk politics with friends here; and it just might be me, the discussion is always back and forth but no one is bent out of shape.

I know, I live in Arlington. This place is overwhelmingly democrat.

Both are Not Corey Stewart and I'm from Long Island so I don't care

>This place is overwhelmingly democrat.

I don't know many medium/big cities that aren't anymore. Again I have no problem with it because here it doesn't feel like some sort of Bay Area ultra-liberalism. It works. YMMV though.

>Not Corey Stewart

Corey Stewart is the fucking WORST kind of carpet bagger. MFer is from Minnesota and he acts like he was in the Civil War. Fucker didn't even have a home state back then.

I'm more Alt Right/Traditionalist/Conservative... So I don't delve too deep (especially after Charlottesville), but I can still publicly talk about most of my values while keeping things civil and polite.
Most are either very understanding or very apathetic... but I also live in the Appalachia area, so maybe that's why.

Depends on where you go. Some of the people I've meet up here are basically west-coast level of liberal, whereas others are more moderate liberals.

He's fighting the good fight for you. Southerners are more turbocucked than Swedes these days.

>Appalachia area, so maybe that's why

Have family out there; near Damascus and into Ashe County NC. Can confirm. It's a matter of perspective. They haven't left because they feel like there's no need to leave. My Mom did cause she wanted different opportunities.

Totally respect the area though. Great people. Just different thinking. Wish some were more open.

Has VA ever had an Eastern Shore governor? People always forget the Va in Delmarva even exists. I think the two counties on that side of the bay only have like 1% of Virginia's population.

You realize he's from above the Mason-Dixon. He's technically a Yankee.

Not that I know of. I will say this I do prefer the Governors of any state be either born or practically raised in that state. How else would you know the economy and the people of that state. I'm not a huge fan of TM since he wasn't from here, but he's done pretty much everything to not fuck it up.

Me too. Your Vice President was a Jew. It's either us, or the Jews, which is it gonna be?

I would say most of the people in the Appalachia area are a lot like the West Virginians... Which is odd given the deep-seated hatred they tend to have towards West VA.

They definitely have a very old-school style when it comes to politics.

NoVA here too. We haven't totally lost it to the Dems, but it's getting close. Lot of voter apathy on conservative side, plus many intelligent folk are brainwashed by MSM

>voter apathy on conservative side.
Can you really blame them? DC folks and Gov workers have been spilling over into their areas for a while now.

Well where I live it's infested with democrats.

A political issue that nobody really cares about except people like me who do a lot of fishing on the bay... Menhaden. Yeah, the oily fish. Virginia is the most fucked up state all along the coast since we pretty much allow all the menhaden to be harvested in Virginia waters. This fucks things up because it means all the game fish that eat menhaden (stripers, bluefish, cobia, redfish, etc.) don't have a big enough source of food around here and it's literally changing their migration habits so they fucking avoid Virginia to chase schools of menhaden elsewhere... meaning I can't fucking catch as many fish as I should be catching because a bunch of greedy politicians are paid off to keep allowing the menhaden boats to rape the bay and ruin things for everyone else.

And to anyone who says "ooh well I went to Virginia Beach one time and I caught a cobia so it must be fine," yeah there are fish around, but it should and could be about 1,000% better and that's a fact.

Didn't they damage the blue crab populations in the Bay as well?
*Not a fisher, nor live on the coast so I don't keep up with those things.

THEY ARE WHITE MALES!!

Actually in an indirect way, menhaden harvest in Virginia does damage the blue crab population. Striped bass feed on menhaden typically, but when there aren't menhaden to feed on, more and more stripers eat crabs since there's not much else around to eat. So less crabs for us to eat.

And I'm not some tree hugger liberal here, menhaden aren't even overharvested overall. It's just the harvest of menhaden along the entire East Coast is basically ONLY done in Virginia waters, so it's super concentrated in Virginia and the fish are left alone everywhere else. If 33% of menhaden were harvested in New England waters, 33% in Mid Atlantic waters, and 33% in waters down further South, everything would be fine. But instead it's 99% Virginia and 1% everywhere else.

If you've ever done much boating around by Virginia Beach you may have seen the menhaden ships just scoop up entire football field size schools of menhaden before they ever have a chance to swim up the bay.

>this "southerner" with a Dixie flag shilling northam

Didn't northam demand that all Confederate statues be removed including Richmond? Not that I give a fuck considering I'm from NC but VA is about to become Maryland 2.0.

Virginia is not a "southern" state, it's mid-atlantic.

>t. Second generation immigrant

lol