/fintech/ - Finance and Technology General - Inaugural, Don't Get Distracted Edition

Greetings, Sup Forums.

I've been a somewhat regular lurker since 2012/2013. Since that time, I've seen the number of threads based on tech and economics decrease substantially. Perhaps this is because of all the massive influx of happenings.

I'd like to make this a regular general thread and gauge community interest. Please feel free to post any relevant happenings or political discourse related to finance or technology that interests you. Ideally I'd like to get a pastebin or some other form of documentation going where people can educate themselves on what's going on.

Hopefully this will help Sup Forums get back on track and keep their eyes on some real happenings.

I'll start with Amazon.

In the last two weeks -

>Solicits bids for 2nd headquarters, encourages cities and local governments to incentivize them rather than paying fair real estate and property tax
images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/Anything/test/images/usa/RFP_3._V516043504_.pdf

>Creates video streaming service geared specifically for African-Americans
reuters.com/article/us-amazon-brown-sugar/amazon-prime-customers-get-access-to-brown-sugar-movie-service-idUSKCN1BG2Q5
archive.is/nd7nH

>Artificially fixes Whole Foods prices, lowering some as much as 43% indicating goals for monopolizing U.S. food and grocery markets
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-28/amazon-cuts-prices-at-whole-foods-as-much-as-50-on-first-day
archive.is/Uvoqt

Tell me that Bezos isn't trying to do a full economic or political takeover. This man has a proven track record of being a ruthless, full-on libertarian and is doing this just because he can.

Other urls found in this thread:

cnbc.com/2017/09/06/jeff-bezos-blue-origin-calls-for-a-dynamic-entrepreneurial-space.html
archive.is/HHj7V
youtube.com/watch?v=NrmMk1Myrxc
blog.walmart.com/innovation/20170823/walmart-google-partner-to-make-shopping-even-easier-heres-how
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

From /biz/ sticky

>Discussions of government policy must be strictly limited to economic policies (fiscal and monetary). Discussions of a political nature should be posted on .

Let this thread serve as a test thread for where the two intertwine.

cnbc.com/2017/09/06/jeff-bezos-blue-origin-calls-for-a-dynamic-entrepreneurial-space.html
archive.is/HHj7V

"Speaking to the BBC on a show aired Tuesday night, Bezos called for a "dynamic, entrepreneurial explosion in space just as I've witnessed over the last 20 years on the internet – thousands of companies and tens of thousands of start-ups doing interesting things online."

>Artificially fixes Whole Foods prices, lowering some as much as 43% indicating goals for monopolizing U.S. food and grocery markets

Whole foods regularly marked up all non store brand products to an extreme degree as part of their strategy. The price cuts bring that strategy to an end and they match market levels, they do not under cut them

Prices of meat and produce were also cut. The only shelf item listed in the Bloomberg article was creamy almond butter.

I am mostly assuming they had some sort of strategy behind their prices. The meat at whole foods was overpriced and the meat price dropped to match all the other stores i purchase from.

the whole thing doesn't seem hostile, it's just a data grab. in my view anyway

How can amazon make a profit by cutting their prices so much?

Not about profit right now. They're trying to dominate the market

Economy of scale

What is the general polsters view on Amazon?

The point isn't to make a profit. Amazon already receives enough money from their online retail services (most notably Amazon Prime). It's about sending a message that Bezos and Amazon are going to disrupt the economy. From the looks of it, they are trying to establish a monopoly in almost every industry, including film and media. Amazon wiping out competition in the grocery market gives them full reign over the food we consume. The only impediment is government regulation, and even then, it takes two fucking hurricanes for them to get their heads on straight.

Hello where are the discussions about Finland??? :-DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Kind of close since you mention Whole Foods, but Target is supposedly cutting prices for most items. They also have their Cartwheel/Target app. They're still ahead of most stores it seems.

I knew about the Cartwheel app. I use it from time to time.

Have you seen the promotional video for Amazon Go? Shit is crazy.

youtube.com/watch?v=NrmMk1Myrxc

google walmart are already moving to compete
blog.walmart.com/innovation/20170823/walmart-google-partner-to-make-shopping-even-easier-heres-how

does amazon actually have a monopoly in anything? AWS is the closest thing

the legitimate complaints about amazon are the tax sheltering and the treatment of workers

>including film and media.

They're already undercutting NetFlix, which seems to be crashing recently with new shows and movies. Hulu seems to be competition, not so much new media but syndicated shows.

I don't have any money.

But if i where a trader i would put my money on:

- Tesla
- Nvidia
- AMD
- Pig food

They where allright.

Untill they caved to pressure and banned ALL Holocaust Revisionist books.

It happened only earlier this year
To be honest they left the revisionist material sit there for quite a long time before giving in to pressure from Jewish lobby groups.

didn't know that. So much for free speech. There are even more absurd extremist leftist books out there that amazon sells but they won't sell extremest right books? Interesting

>I've been a somewhat regular lurker since 2012/2013
Fucking newfag

Microsoft and Google provide cloud services. There are plenty of other vendors who provide either physical hardware or UI interfaces, the big 3 (Amazon, Microsoft, and Google) are just more reputable and have a cleaner system.

Fuck Walmart and Google. Walmart already has a shit reputation and is based in butt-fuck nowhere Arkansas. Even if Google took them over, I still don't think their retail and grocery services would compete with Whole Foods and Amazon.

Or

Read the sticky

>implying that business and technology are devoid of politics

Eat shit, Bezos shill

Amazon can't really compete outside U.S - Anywhere else Uber would protect the local economies.

Crypto >>>/biz
Web Browsers

They're not trying to turn a profit via their move into the brick-and-mortar space. They are hungry for data. They are willing to take a hit producing the illusion if consumer convenience in order to amass the real prize--consumer data. their goal is to amass big data on all major aspects of daily life. They will open however many "businesses" they have to meet this goal.

bump

What safe haven goods are you niggers investing in?