Way to Stop You tube demonitization?

I used to listen to Howard Stern on "normal" (non satellite) radio. He has said that the only reason attempts to get him off the air have failed was because his fans really supported the shows advertisers.

Do we just have to start supporting advertisers on the soon to be demonitized channels?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jifgLsujlJY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Probably a really good idea here

>Wanting to get paid for making shitty youtube videos
Get a job

I think if we just made it a point to mention to companies that we appreciate them supporting varied content, it would go a long way.

Not all of them are shitty, and for some people it was/is their job.

you one of those people who still watch cable tv?

Just support the creators directly if you like them. You're not poor, right?

Good point. I like free content, and hate pledge drives on pbs.

You might be right though.

Youtube ads and radio ads are completely different

Yeah, I agree they are different, but I don't understand your point. What do you mean?

First off why do you listen to that kike? Second off why do you want to continue content creator's dependence on (((advertisements)))?

Best Idea right now is skip the middle man (youtube) and ask for sponsoring deals with companys directly. Creators should just make sure the products don't have anything to do with their content or it could easily turn into astroturfing of the biggest kind. I am ok with creators advertising a product mid video or at the end. They get their money, the company gets the ads and you can still just skip the part with a click

now this is an idea

Audible, domain dot com, amazon, g2a,... they all do sponsoring deals, its just a bit of work to get contracts and all of that set up I think.

Is that how many podcasts are financed?

I think that an advantage of youtube is that the creators don't have do anything besides produce content. The business side of things can be taken care of by youtube.

All ads on youtube are through google adsense. A company can't decide which videos they want their ads on, they have to give the ad to google and google decides where it goes through its algorithms. Google makes 95% of its revenue through advertising, its best to just cut them out and give money to the creator directly

youtubers need to get jobs

Not sure if podcasts are even greatly financed at all, since (from what I know) they don't take that much work to produce, but yes mostly sponsoring deals.

>The business side of things can be taken care of by youtube.
That used to be the case. Nowadays if you aren't part of a big network you'r fucked

Oh, I had no idea that's how it works. Hmm, maybe my idea won't work...

I still think there might be value in letting advertises now that them supporting a range of viewpoints is appreciated.

Thanks for the info.

What do you mean by "big network"? What is an example of a big network?

A few more questions since I don't know much about the nuts and bolts of youtube, and you seem to be knowledgeable.

If you have a video with 1,000,000 views (say about fixing cars) how much money does the creator get? How frequently are creators paid?

Youtube partner networks. Pewdiepie was in Polaris before they fired him.
Idubbz, pyrocynicaland the other faggots are in Omnia as far as I know. Yogscast even made their own network of youtubers. They often have direct contact to youtube employees plus they sometimes even pay you directly.

They payment is very different from youtuber to youtuber. It all depends and the type of content and the size of the channel. The core idea (even though not publicly disclosed) seems to be ads watched+minutes of video watched somehow produces the revenue. This is to counter clickbots and the like. I think we are talking about 0,5-2 cents per 1000 clicks in general.

I think most companies know that people don't give a shit what ad they see on a video, it's that they have to worry about their ad showing up on a politically charged video, and having a boycott/slander campaigns run by wall street journal or similar publications saying that the company supports nazis or some shit

Exactly nowadays its all about image and defamation.
"What!? Our ad was shown on a single video of a guy calling someone else a nigger? SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING. PULL ALL THE ADS".

Like cockroaches when the light turns on

What does the network do for people? Is it studio space, production?

So for a video with a million views we are talking about 5 to 20 dollars? What d

That is why I was thinking about Howard stern. They had pretty outrageous stuff, but they always survived because the fans were supportive of the advertisers.

I guess that model won't work here, though.

Networks are like managers (some even give you real manangers). They communicate between Youtube as a company and you as a creator. So if one of your videos got flagged or whatever you could call the network and they would use their direct line to youtube to fix your problem. Much easier and quicker than if you are on your own.
Also they host events, collaborations and such. Polaris used to organize big get togethers with their youtubers for vidcon or blizzcon and would fly them out to shanghai or LA and pay for food and hotels.

With a million clicks we are talking between 100 and 200 bucks I think.

Is a click the same as an ad view?

Not if you use adblock.
Also some videos have multiple ads on them.
Its really fucking complicated since noone really knows how it works

>Oy vey grind those gear goy, medial influence is a job for your betters

Ok, maybe it would be better to just directly support content creators. That can work for the current generation of people, but the next generation (the one I don't know of yet) won't have the advantage of having their first videos monitized. Thanks for answering my questions.

Yeah I don't think youtube will recover from that massive advertiser pulling for a long time. The age of "become rich through making youtube videos" ended 5 years ago.
Now its back to making videos just for fun. Like all the way at the beginning. Not a chance you will get famous with such an over-saturated platform anyway.

I don't know about becoming rich or famous, but I think podcasting and to a lesser extent youtube will continue as way people to get their ideas out and gain influence. I think podcasting is going to grow for a long time to come, at least I hope so.

start supporting services that aren't youtube instead

What services should I check out?

The only way to do so is to attack jewgle itself
youtube.com/watch?v=jifgLsujlJY

not even sure if youtube is worth it anymore

Did podcasts ever take off into the mainstream? They were quite popular in the early internet days, but I don't think I have ever seen a podcast on the main page of youtube.

I assume that demonetization means that youtube will still run ads but the creators will not get a portion of the revenue. This should be illegal, its unfair commercial representation and there should be support to make it so. Rationally, they will drop the videos all together but it still needs to be done

Right now youtube is trying to create a safe space for advertisers by actively deciding which videos are advertiser friendly and which are not. If you are not deemed adfriendly you won't get ads on your videos and with that no money.

Well, Joe Rogan, Dave Rubin, Jordan Peterson, Kevin smith, Sam Harris there are some lefty podcasts I won't admit to listening to also.

They are much much better for in depth interviews because their isn't artificial time pressure. To answer your question, I don't know if they ever took off in the mainstream. I think there was a big push when "Serial" from NPR was "broadcast" as a podcast.

I like them because they aren't in anyone's walled garden. Apple can't shut down a podcast because it is just an RSS feed.

Did this process start (as far as you can tell) from WSJ article about pewdiepie?

>Sam Harris
The neuroscientist? He does podcasts?

It was already bad before that, but the WSJ pretty much broke the dam. I just blame all the "old" media outlets that behave like grumpy grandpas that don't understand modern technology and just yell at the youngsters from their porches

I guess that sounds fair to me, even if it's unethical in some cases. Creators should work with advertisers directly. I don't believe there will be an alternative to YouTube unfortunately

Yeah, it is called "Waking Up". It is pretty good, he is a little impressed with himself but it is always interesting.

> I don't believe there will be an alternative to YouTube unfortunately

Ya me neither. But this will all settle down at some point. Some youtubers will quit, some will move to twitch, some will migrate to vid.me or vimeo or liveleak or whatever, but in the end they are just arrogant online entertainers with too much money anyway so, who gives a shit?

In some cases, sure. Not everyone is Pewdiepie though. Some make as much as a job. You can say "get a job" but that is their job. I don't see anything wrong with it.

I don't have the same opinion, since I have a lot of contact with youtubers through my job an most of em aren't even aware that they are going the easy route, that they are just making money my recording 20 minutes of footage every day. Lot of them are just pricks.

The non over-the-top youtubers who are family friendly and produce "normal" and "moderate" content, don't have the advertisement problem though, because their channels are harmless

You probably know better than me. I could make "easy money" too in that case but I don't think it's that easy- even when it appears to be. Being a celebrity takes a toll, I like being anonymous myself.

Just don't show your face and get a anonymous PO box. simple as that.

So much this. Most of the channels do not bring anything new to the table anyways. And the funnier thing is that they are all like "we don't care about the money", but as soon as they see lower monthly profits they won't stop crying about how unfair it is and so on. Fuck 'em.

Haha I've tried things like that. It doesn't work, Pewd made his millions by putting himself in it 100%. I've kept an eye on monetization and unless you've got some crazy viral content, you aren't making money unless you sell your whole self in it. Devil's bargain. I'm not Madonna but I can walk down the street without being bothered. How much money would I sell that for? Idk but it's a lot :) good thread, guys, thanks for info