Ancient Macedonia vs Modern Macedonia

How did a bunch of Slavs living an area that doesn't really encompass much of ancient Macedon assume the Macedonian identity?

My impression is that ancient Macedon would be considered 1 of many Hellenic city-states that shared a common culture. The pic here shows the region that encompassed ancient Macedon. We could argue about how "Greek" ancient Macedon was, but I think it is well established that it was part of the Hellenic world.

So, how did a bunch of people with little Hellenic ancestry living in a region that isn't even ancient Macedon (I believe the region was called "Dardania") take on this identity?

Did they show up one day and say "We Macedon now"?

Any explanation is appreciated, it's hard to get a straight answer out of people on this matter.

>Any explanation is appreciated, it's hard to get a straight answer out of people on this matter.

So, the country currently referred to as Macedonia, more properly the Former Yugoslavian Republic of Macedonia (FYROM), was named that as a federative subject of Yugoslavia. I don't really know why.

Yes, it happened in Yuoslavia, so I read. The state named the region Macedonia.

Proud Macedonian American reporting in. Anyone else here /diaspora/? I don't speak Macedonian so I am a bit isolated from the community.

Also my family is from the purple area.

So you're a real Macedonian? Neat.

Do you know what series of events lead to your culture being appropriated?

Tito wanted Serbia and Bulgaria not to fight over a certain area. I wish Macedonia actually included parts of Northern Greece that are majority slavic-speaking. To me it means people who live in Greece but are slavic linguistically and culturally. The people in northern Macedonia are not quite the same thing but everyone is related to the same culture .

There was a greek kid in high school we accused as being macedonian all the time. It triggered the FUCK out of him.

pretty sure we showed him pictures of that exact map in the op

The modern day """Macedonia""" was part of Yugoslavia and they are ethnically Bulgarian with some Albanians to the west and north-west regions. The Yugoslavian government (Serbs) didn't want them to get associated with the Bulgarians because then the Bulgarians would claim the region. Thus they made up the Macedonian identity

Ok that makes sense.

They really pushed the whole "descendants of Alexander" thing to the extreme though. It seems like a national pastime to go on youtube and shit up the comments section for every video remotely related to Alexander and Macedon.

simple answer: avar-pannonian rapebabies are cowards with no history or culture, or else they wouldn't be leeching off of nearby country's heroes (Bulgaria, Greece, Serbia).

sage this gay thread

There was a distinct culture in Northern Greece compared to Bulgaria though and a distinct identity since before WW2 though. They didn't just think of themselves as Bulgarians. This may apply to the current geographical region that Republic of Macedonia occupies, but the Southern and Western reaches identified for a long time as a culture distinct to that of Greece or Bulgaria.

Ancient Macedonians = Greek
Modern Greek province of Macedonia = Greek

FYROM/Republic Of Macedonia = Slavs

Slavs settled in the Balkans during medieval times.

Slavs are as much Macedonians as the Sub - Saharan Africans are Egyptian.

They don't have any culture or history which means they can't have national pride or territorial claims to anywhere most likely scenario that they will collapse (their government is very unstable with high tensions between the Albanian minorities and the Bulgarians majority) and the land will be split between Bulgaria, Albania and Greece with the majority of the land going to Bulgaria

count us there, we should get back our serb brethren in the north up to skopje

*including skopje i mean

There was always a slavic-speaking minority in political Greece that felt oppressed by having to learn Greek when they did not speak it at home. They have distinct culture, language, and ethnic features from Greeks in the same region. Many immigrated to the US or Australia. Of course the borders of modern Republic of Macedonia are not exactly this area, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

This comment is the embodiment of their delusion they thing they can claim or make a claim at Greek land. Some of these retards believe they should get Thessaloniki the second largest city in Greece and one of the most important ports of the Balkans

I think Republic of Macedonia should absolutely annex Northern Greece. Then they could have Northern Macedonia with current Republic and Southern with proper ancient land.

You want a bunch of Slavs with an unstable post-soviet government to take over Northern Greece?

Yes. Also, I want to expel the Muslims to Albania and remove its status as a recognized language.

I would love to see that happen my serb bro but with the Kosovo conflict and all that shit I don't thing this is very likely to happen which is another good reason to hate the Albanians

What does "Greece", a place invented by some German guy have to do with Ancient Greece?

It is a country comprised of the many city states that made up the heart of Hellenic culture in the classical era.

Obviously it isn't the same place, but those regions have a common cultural history, even if it was somewhat altered by the great roach infestation of the mid-millennium.

When they start worshiping the pagan deities I might respect them enough to consider them to be Greece. But until then they are idiot Christ cucks.

My senpai came to Burger from what is now Macedonia. But it was Bulgarian clay then. But they still called themselves Macedonians while also claiming Bulgarian nationality.

Very confusing.

Should the british not call themselves british then, since they are christians as well? The Francs, who France is named after, started as Germanic pagans. Religion is not the be-all-end-all of cultural identity.... that is exactly how butthurt christfags try to argue (see: Peter Hitchens).

>parts of Northern Greece that are majority slavic-speaking
This man is high as a kite

My HS gf was born in Greece; her father loathed me.

Made nutting on her more fun.

FYROM could be descendants of Ancient Macedonians who ended speaking a slavic language, the same way the French are descendants of the Gauls but now speak a romanec language

Yeah only difference is that DNA tests show their Bulgarian ancestry

Where are the descendants of Alexander the Great living now ? Northern Greece ?

Afghanistan.

Srsly.

Probably Persia as well.

As for the "Sons of Alexander" in a more loose sense, they live in the Greek province of Macedonia and perhaps northern Thessaly.

>Proud Macedonian American reporting in
Related to Alexander the Great?

Possibly!

During the last few hundred years the Byzantine Empire had countless wars against the Slavs. What was Ancient Macedonia was overrun by countless tribes of Slavs who were paid tribute not to invade, but when the money was up the attacks continued until Byzantium lost total control.

>Did they show up one day and say "We Macedon now"?
Yes. Also, they tried to get academics (classicists) in the US to write letters supporting their claim to Macedonian identity. A notice circulated around the SCS (at the time called the APA) warning classicists about the perfidious so-called-Macedonians.

Do him proud, then! Leave a great legacy. Would be cool if you were related.

>Ancient Macedonians = Greek
Demosthenes begs to differ.

North Italy got invaded and settled by Germanic Tribes, Northern Byzantine/Macedonia got invaded and settled by Slavic Tribes towards the fall of the Empires.

Wow, truncated tiki torches. If you did this in the Land of the Free, you'd be lynched for being a Nazi.

> North Italy got invaded and settled by Germanic Tribes
Yes, that is why North Italy remains productive and pleasant to this day.

All Muslims and Jews were expelled from Southern Italy and Sicily by the Normans and Aragonese

Do ancient Serbia vs modern Serbia too. Have you noticed that?

There really isn't a country that isn't full of half-breeds now.

Modern Macedonians = Slavic/Greek/Macedonian

Modern Italians = Italian/German/French/Spanish/Norman

>All Muslims and Jews were expelled
Yes, the propaganda says the same thing about Spain, and it's just as false there.

Even so, the Moors wouldn't have looked much different from a Roman or Greek in antiquity. It wasn't until they got niggerfied by Mongolians and Arabs that you could tell the difference.