Do you think SAO gets more hate than it deserves, Sup Forums?

Do you think SAO gets more hate than it deserves, Sup Forums?

I mean, it's honestly not really any different from Re:Zero, Konosuba, Overlord, No Game No Life, Mondaiji-tachi, Log Horizon, Ixion Saga DT, and many other similar anime that we love. So why do we hate it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7dxbWP1DBXo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because it's literally autistic.

It's popular. No seriously, SAO ranges from average to a bit below average, the only reason it gets so much hate is because people like it.

First season SAO is fine, on par with AoT and KLK on terms of visual appeal, so great gateway anime. Problem is the whole rapey NTR thing going on from 2nd season.

I'm positive you haven't seen/read any of those shows/novels you listed, because if you actually did, then you wouldn't be comparing them to a sub par cash cow like sao.

It gets more hate than it deserves because it gets more praise than it deserves.

Seconding Just because something has a similar theme doesn't mean it is as badly written.

In my opinion, most people hate on SAO to fit in. However, I think that 99% of them can agree that it's not a GOD AWFUL series and does have some merit to it.

>Do you think SAO gets more hate than it deserves, Sup Forums?
No.

We? Sorry, I think those trapped in a game series are all pretty creatively bereft in many ways.

the second they reached that elf arc it turned to utter shit

>it's honestly not really any different from many other similar anime that we love
>a show can only be judged by its setting

Yes it's utter shit. Most titles you've listed are actually less shit. Watch more anime

Having only watched the first 15 episodes of SAO, I think it ranges incredibly mediocre to increibly bad.
The only characters I liked were Klein and the black guy who's name I can't actually remember.

Because it has extremely shitty writing and way too many people over hyped that garbage. This. Out of what I've seen from those Konosuba and Log Horizon were actualy good, NGNL was at least decent, and Mondaiji was pure hot rotten garbage. So either you're an idiot with no analytical skills, or you've never actually seen any of them and you just assume any anime with a video game-like fantasy premise is the exact fucking same.

>I mean, it's honestly not really any different from Re:Zer
Quality bait, user.

No I don't
youtube.com/watch?v=7dxbWP1DBXo

I miss his videos.

no because its a god tier premise and first episode, and then turns into absolute self-insert fantasy life garbage

fucking waste

>cours are seasons.

Anyways, it was an alright anime, that happened to get popular outside of Sup Forums and with normies especially, so of course Sup Forums hates it.
I mean, it's not some glorious masterpiece, and has as many flaws as any other popular anime, but it was fun and entertaining.

Nah, that's also the first season. The second season is GGO. Still, it would be nice if we could just forget about that Alfheim arc like it never happened.

>its a god tier premise and first episode, and then turns into absolute self-insert fantasy life garbage
Exactly this.

>cours

I really wish the world had already ended before this stupid word gained traction.

>muh find a perfect qt girl and then retire with her to the woods and adopt a (computer code) child when you're like 14
>then go off and solo all the hardest bosses in the game with no help
>instead of murdering monsters and befriending other players with cool and creative abilities and working together to complete challenging raids that take team work as much as skill

fuck SAO, that first episode was amazing and it was all a fucking lie

retiring to the woods and adopting that little girl honestly sounds like a roleplaying story written by a 13 year old

>and first episode

It was fucking retarded out of the gate.

This premise does not work because this game machine would not in any modern society be allowed to exist. They would have been off with NO explanation than this asinine microwave bullshit

SAO a shit

>autism
I agree. Any anime with any sort of special powers that don't exist in the real world is retarded. Like honestly you make up physics and pretend they work in this fictional world? WTF?

It's just shit. Pure and simple.

Ass hijack

>I can't defend it so Ill call it autism

Microwaves are a real world thing you retard. If you try to explain away illogical fantasy with bullshit it stands out all the more so if you get real world physics flat out wrong.

I can accept fantasy and magic and all that other crazy anime shit fine but don't tell me it works via something that obviously doesn't.

It had wasted potential

SAO isn't a bad story because Kirito is overpowered and has a doormat girlfriend, it's a bad story because the entire universe bends itself to his will.

Trapped in a video game world? That's okay, he's already max level with a super secret skill no one else can use. No one wants to party with him? That's okay, he can solo every dungeon. Can't beat the final boss? That's okay, the last game's final boss is actually a ghost that can hack into the current game just for him.

Can you imagine what the ALO story would be like if Kirito, having autistically chosen the only race in the game that wears black, actually has to deal with the fact that he has a shitty debuffing build instead of having his OP stats carry over? Can you imagine what the arc would have been like if he actually had to rely on his sister to teach him or protect him instead of breaking the game?

And then the same shit happens in GGO, but even worse because he's not even supposed to be using a damn sword there. It's like if you took any normal battle manga, like Bleach or One Piece, and had Luffy/Ichigo pop in out of nowhere to win the fight for Chad/Zoro/Ishida.

Lots of characters are self inserts, but Kirito is CWC-tier. It's not just that no one in his universe is a threat to him, it's that he himself doesn't recognize anything as a threat.

What's the issue?

>Ass hijack
Now there something I can get behind.

Some of those have pretty much nothing in common besides an isekai theme.

This is getting worse than the shitposting from harem-haters.

>Wanting me to defend the physics of a fictional world
yeah, like I said, autism

Go fucking die

He's just mad they didn't say radio.

Contributting

The issue is the explanation they gave only makes it more unrealistic than actually explaining things.

They lazily used technobable instead of trying to create a clever explanation.

>Just turn your brain off, man

I thought SAO was shit before it was cool, I just could articulate well and didn't feel like going against the tide of SAO fans, so I forced myself to like it.

>The issue is the explanation they gave only makes it more unrealistic than actually explaining things.
>They lazily used technobable instead of trying to create a clever explanation.
Jokes aside, that is the most autistic reason to hate a series I've ever seen, especially when it's a series that gives you so many more sane reasons to hate it.

There's VR technology that someone rigged to kill the people wearing it under certain circumstances. If you're already assuming VR tech that's capable of interrupting someone's conscious experience, then that should be easy to accept.

>That's okay, he's already max level with a super secret skill no one else can use.
Uhh...no? He worked hard and leveled up like any other player, only he did it solo which forced his body to adapt to the game world more closely. The additional reaction time he acquired is what enabled him to get the Dual Wield skill. There are actually several unique skills in the game belonging to only a single person, it's just that Kirito's and Heathcliff's are the only ones that are directly shown in the anime adaptation.
>No one wants to party with him?
HE didn't want to party with THEM.
>the last game's final boss is actually a ghost that can hack into the current game just for him.
What the actual fuck are you talking about?

>shitty debuffing build
Spriggan magic specializes in illusion, not debuffs.

>not even supposed to be using a damn sword there
It's in the game, it's what he's comfortable with using, why the fuck would he not use it?

Obligatory

SAO was written as something to fap to. The author never cared about plausible plots, character developments, world building ...etc. It's all about wish fulfillment and girls to fap to. To say it is otherwise, or to expect it to be otherwise, is idiotic.
So did it get more hate than it deserves? Yes it did. But it also got more love than it ever deserves.

>He worked hard and leveled up like any other player
Shame we never even see so much as a 30 second montage of him powerlevelling, so that's all just your interpretation and not actually part of the canonic story of the anime.

We never see Kirito earn anything.
He's just given it between timeskips and it's told how he got them, or he's just suddenly the best. You never really see Kirito struggle at anything or challenged by anything, and even when he is, it's solved so quickly.

There was only one scene that was remotely fap-worthy in the first two arcs, and that was when they literally had sex. But that was excluded in the anime, so meh.
Liz is ugly, Silica's a dumb child, Sachi was a doormat that got dead as a doornail...no, I think it was far more about the MMO environment than the girls. The world is actually cool to think about and well-defined. Hell, dare I say so I think the games that have come out based on SAO actually look pretty fun.

hello derp_commander

JUST WAIT ALICIZATION MY BROS

Superior butt

Hence SAO Progressive. The author knows this and is detailing every single floor of the characters' progression through Aincrad.

To be fair to you though, yes, the anime did gloss over everything. The LN did a better job explaining shit, but those timeskips were still there. He's fixing things up after this has already been aired, and it really does make everything feel a lot better. I mean, holy shit - Asuna actually has a character now.

The only semi decent character in this show was the gun girl because she's literally the only one who doesn't ride Kirito's dick mega hard and she has somewhat of a character, even all of the male characters and villains are obsessed with him

SAO is the worst because it actually has an interesting premise but completely shits the bed on delivering it. It rushes through the first arc, then jumps ship completely halfway through the first season and gives you retarded elf bullshit and literal AIDS.

>it was far more about the MMO environment than the girls
>The world is actually cool to think about and well-defined
Idiot detected.

>Sinon best girl
Yes.

SAO doesn't get nearly enough hate. The retards that defend it need to get their fingers chopped off or something.

Sinon would've been interesting if she was the MC and wasn't just another harem member.

>implying .hack explained how the game worked in any of the animes

>spinoff of the game she plays
>she isn't even in the spinoff

Why.

This is a disguised thread only to imply that Re:zero is as shit as SAO

She was the only one not in

Popular and successful unlike those cheap knock offs

>overshit
>konoshitba
>logsht hurrizon
ay

>a character's status determines whether or not they're interesting
Is...that what you really think?

Except I didn't mention anything remotely related to .hack.

She would be more interesting if she was the MC, because then the story wouldn't have to do a sudden 180 and turn her into yet another brainless girl going after Kirito's dick.

Reading up the comment chain, you implied that the game environment was a lesser quality in the series, which in turn implies that there are other shows that have better-defined game environments.

Implying implications is a good way for you to get shitposted, my friend.

I was waiting for someone to mention me. You rang?

Hey, Konosuba is a blast! SAO is drama, but KSub is comedy. Perfect pairing.

>SAO and .hack are the only anime that used MMO settings!
I got no words for you. Your fanboism is too strong for me.

>The author knows this and is detailing every single floor of the characters' progression through Aincrad.

Wait, seriously? The ridiculous timeskips and glossing over pretty much everything, with the characters just getting things without showing them be earned, was my biggest issue with SAO.

How far along is Progressive? Sounds like it might actually be worth a read.

She didn't, though. Their relationship is one of banter and respect, not lust.
Plus the trolling is fun.

because Klein was a 100x better character and he got shafted the whole time

We don't think SAO is bad because its popular, we think its popular because its bad. Because it appeals to the lowest common denominator that eats that shit right up.

>How far along is Progressive? Sounds like it might actually be worth a read.

Four volumes, and they've cleared four floors, I think. It's worth noting while the manga technically covers the same events, it's quite different compared to the novels.

I think the manga is from Asuna's POV.

>4 volumes 4 floors

I should mention, that's for the LN version. Manga's fourth volume only finishes up the second floor.

English releases of the manga are up to volume 4, the end of which has them finishing the second floor boss and climbing to the third floor. So that's actually a lot of content. It really fleshes out Asuna and Argo in particular, and also does a pretty good job showing how much people distrust/respect Kirito after that whole Beater thing. Plus the art's great.

Don't know where the LN is at the moment, I haven't started reading it. I'm not sure that it's being translated online, but it might be. The manga scanlations are behind the physical English releases, though.

>implying he would know what Ixion Saga DT is

Not really. It gets ripped apart as much as it does because it has a hell of a lot of obvious flaws. I still liked it though.

I don't get it. The novel specifically mentioned that men cannot play female characters because the lack of male genitalia modeled on their characters in a VR environment makes men unconsciously anxious after an hour of play, which is the only reason they bothered to model genitals in the first place.

And yet this scene exists in the anime. Hell, I think the novel even mentions in one line that Kirito notes that the gender ratio varied quite a bit after the mirrors' effects took place, but I could be remembering wrong.

So...is this scene just for the lulz when it should never have been possible in the first place?

Maybe everyone modelled their characters as traps, just like in the case of GGO kirito

It drops everything that made it popular to become a battle harem. Nothing wrong with battle harems that are actually interesting but this one wasn't. It had no business being a battle harem when the cast should be more worried about surviving.

Assuming the official releases are properly translated, the scanlations for Progressive are atrocious.

There are clearly breasts before the transformation, though.

That doesn't mean you can't play as the opposite gender, it just means you shouldn't.

>that one girl shocked to see her friend is a guy

The official releases are indeed far above the scanlations. I wouldn't bother reading online unless you're already into SAO and are keen on learning about these events.
The scanlations aren't likely to get new fans.

I dunno. There aren't a lot of anime that have made me cringe as much as SAO did.

>inb4 watch more anime

True enough. Extended periods of play were said to be impossible, though. You just gotta have your junk or it don't feel right.

I imagine eunuchs would have few problems, though.

Those aren't the official releases. In fact, the official releases were supposed to be released last month, if my memory serves.

It does get much hate because it's popular.

I avoided watching it for a while because people kept saying it's harem-like and I usually don't enjoy these type of shows. Finally decided to give it a go and form my own opinion of it last year, the first episode was alright, but everything afterwards was so boring. I just didn't give a fuck about anything and any character, it was a mess, and I dropped it halfway. It's not as bad as haters make it out to be, it's simply dull and not worth the time for anyone that watched anime for a longer period of time. Simply put, it's entry-level shit.

honestly it's just average, but I was turned off completely when there was that whole thing with the LI being raped or whatever the fuck after the first arc

Since Progressive has 4 volumes and Alicization still isn't finished, think A-1 will adapt it after the movie?

No.

Alicization should end in Volume 18, which comes out in August.
We're getting S3 before we're getting Progressive animated.

Reading these sorts of things always dishearten me, because ALO was a lot of fun to read in the LN. The anime skipped over a huge chunk of it, too, my rage the day I watched the episode where Tonkii should have been was enormous.

It's almost time.