Is he a good character?

Is he a good character?

No.
Not really.

But no one watches Dragon Ball for character development, so it doesn't really matter.

He was

Yeah, he's a great character.

Yep

He is the representation of working and obtain your dreams thru dwtermination and hard work.

That's why he deserves to be the strongest, and that's why most of us want him to achieve his dreams because we feel he suffered and worked for it.

He's a good character the same way Superman is a good character. They sort of are the archetype of a genre.

Goku isn't too complex character but very likeable.
Is there even a character in anime and manga who has very complicated and interesting personality?

literally the perfect waifu

>Gary Stu Man being a good character

Please ilustrate me on how he worked for his powers and it's just not another American power fantasy?

USA! USA! We are the strongest! We are number one!

He's dumb as a rock and has never had a single thought about anything other than fighting.

>doesn't whine about muh dark past
>doesn't go on rants about his pre-school tier morals or life philosophy
>doesn't bitch and moan about angsty teenager bullshit
>doesn't cry like a bitch
>doesn't waste time whining about bitches
>isn't a herbivore beta male
>does what he loves to do and nobody is going to tell him otherwise

He is by far better than the vast majority of anime protagonists.

But he or the series isn't American...

Amoral fighting maniac who just so happens to fight for what is right more often than not but when it gets right down to it he is just looking for a great challenge even if it means endangering everyone. I would say Vegeta is a better good guy than him in some regards.

>needs to become a white man to fight villains

He's an awful family man. That's for sure.

Don't you ever get tired of watching him train to beat the next most omnipotent whatever-the-new-thing-is?

All of them are literally Perseus, or else based on some antecedent that Perseus ripped off.

Would you prefer to watch him whine, cry, and angst for 5 episodes before winning by Deus Ex Machina?

No, because you saw him train as a child until he became comparable to the Gods.

Also, he always goes for more, he is never satisfied with his current power, he asks people to teach him techniques and he learns from them, that's why he deserves to be the best.

Well he wants to fight for good because that is how Gohan raised him.

Don't ever take the first american dub as basis for the original plot. Goku isn't a peace preacher, he's supposedly to be a dumb manchild who barely cares to anything but fight and eat.

Wrong.

Goku will defend his loved ones if they are in danger.

The difference is that he is not going to save the universe from every bad guy out there for the sake of justice.

He is like a gun owner defending his home.
He won't go vigilante and kill every criminal, he will act when his friends or their lives are in danger.

No, same shit like Luffy and Naruto

Goku's nothing like Naruto and Luffy.

You know you've seen too much Dragon Ball when you can recognize OPs pic is from the Broly movie

He actually has a fair share of character development in the manga so yeah he's a good character and Toriyama used him well by not having him doing everything in DBZ. Seriously he mostly shows up at the end of an arc

Cant wait for the training arc for goku to go super saiyan god 3 kaiyo ken x 100 ultimate mega form and then fight in a tournament

then we hit the reset button and get SSJG 2 SSJ electric boogaloo in the jungle

He is at times. Other times, not so much

He's actually kinda interesting. There's a complexity to his simplicity.

He's an absolute moron, but a moron with literally the power of a god. He's kind-hearted, but also not a saint, and actively enjoys violence to a point where he will allow enemies to escape so they can become stronger, so he can fight them again. It takes a lot to make him take things seriously.

Which raises the question, is Goku a good person?

I really don't know the answer to that, and I think that makes him an interesting character.

Goku is an ok character overall, simple in his mindset and easygoing. My actual problem with him is that he spawned characters that pretty much ripped off that archetype. It can only be entertaining for so long.

Goku is the best protagonist

Goku is only a moron when he's a little kid. By the second half of the series he's basically a sage. The anime really screwed up his characterization.

that's how it usually is user

Also genetics, let's not forget that.

tenshinhan worked harder than anyone but he's just a jobber

fucker did nothing but train for the entirety of the series

Goku is a combo of hard work, willpower, genetics and character. A guy like him is just meant to stand above others who only have one or two of these checked.

That could be said about every shounen protagonist.
And it doesn't make a good character.
Young people like them because it supports their believe that they can archive everything and become the best if they work hard enough, which is quite immature. That's all.
That doesn't make a good character. In the context of the show it's fine and it works but a character like that is boring on his own. It's artificial and there's not conflict.

tenshinhan:
>hard work,
check
>willpower,
check, fucker stopped a super dodon ray with sheer willpower
>character
i dont know what you mean by this but anything you may mean with it probably applies to tenshinhan as well

actually dragon ball is super depressing, the moral is that genetics trumps all no matter how hard you work

This just kills me

He hasn't got those sweet Saiyan genes.

I'd say one of the biggest morals from DBZ is offhandedly promoting Darwinism. The villains are bred from the best warriors' genes and pick out some of their best abilities. Humans are strong, but they just don't compare to Saiyans. Saiyans are strong, but they just don't compare to human-saiyan hybrids. It's all about genes

>character
I mean something innate and immutable. Goku lives for the fight in the most pure sense possible, more than any other character. It's what alludes humans like Tien who train all their life or even a fellow Saiyan like Vegeta who is born for the fight.

why dont the humans ask bulma to give them saiyan gene therapy?

Trips confirm, Vegeta fights to win, Goku fights for the sole purpose of overcoming a challenge

Who is the one that inspired Tenshinhan to do that and change from smug edgelord to the person who is now?

I believe it was Mr. Jackie Chun?

>he wasn't always like that so it doesn't count

Nice logic.

Who inspired Goku to not be a smug edgelord whose mission was to genocide the Earth?

>depressing, the moral is that genetics trumps all no matter how hard you work

If that was trued Vegeta would be the MC since he is a prince/natural born warrior or Gohan who as a natural potential that surpassed his father and uses anger/potential unlocks rather than hard work to boost his power. But Goku is a low class warrior with canon brain damage but he never stops training and always looks for new a chalenge. You are only mad because he is not human.

Retard much?
Saiyan and Humans are not comparable when it comes to fight.
Saiyan have genes that give them no real limit and zenkai. They are literally born to fight.
Humans are not.

Also being a prince or a king has nothing to do with having better genes.

A rock at the buttom of a cliff

Good answer
Learn to read

>natural potential

Also garbage that speaks against the moral of hard work.

>Saiyans are strong, but they just don't compare to human-saiyan hybrids.

Even as a kid this never made sense.

Hybrids should be stronger than humans but weaker than Saiyans, alot weaker.

>Saiyans are barbarians that are ruled by their strongest warrior
>Also being a prince or a king has nothing to do with having better genes.
>Hurt Durr retard much

>jobber
>tfw user doesn't know what words mean but want to use them anyway
Retard pls

well right now it's true

:^)

I'm just glad it gives humans even a remote level of relevance

You do know that he ruled because was smarter than the average saiyan and had the idea to rebel against tsufurus?

If he smarter that just confirms that he as superior genes

Go tell that to Stephen Hakwkings.

>being smarter means you are stronger

I think the logic behind it was that hybrids had all the potential to become powerful like Saiyans but their human half tempered the Saiyan's feral nature. The 'bad' part is that the hybrid don't care as much for fighting and they don't max their potential.

Learn the language Pedro

Is weird tough. Humans are very violent creatures containing their animalistic desires. Put humans in a lawless scenario and we start killing, raping each other.

>being smarter than the average person means you are also stronger than the average person

People who disregard arguments over superficial things should just die.

...ptut humans in a lawless scenario and they will build a society with laws

Goku, Tenshinhan, Piccolo and Vegeta all do nothing but train everyday.

Vegeta is a better character.

The tsufurujin aren't in the manga

Toriyama said they are canon

You need to look up what the word canon means

This

You need.
Whatever he says is canon then becomes canon.

I'll do it for you
>a collection or list of sacred books accepted as genuine
For Dragon Ball the manga is the canon.

Sp when george lucas say something is not canon he is wrong because there is a comic tha contradicts him?

Akira Toriyama worked on the manga, Lucas didn't work on just about any of the comics. Also, in GLORIOUS NIPPON manga tends to be the basis for the canon which is them adapted into an anime series.

Not after namek

Lucas did not work on comics but he said some are canon.
It is up to the author to choose what is canon and what is not canon.
If you write a story and the decide to add some details after you finished publishing it, those details are still canon.

Who would win, Hercule or Yamcha?

goku got married, started a family, and had sex with chi chi at least two times

tenshinhan was training while goku was neglecting his gains for pussy

I'm gonna post some of my favorite Goku moments

Yep

I was just about to post this pic familia.

>jumps and grabs a Dragon Ball
I always thought this was hilarious. You'd think they'd continue to do that in the future but they just let them fly about for fun.