When has "edge" ever been done right in anime?

When has "edge" ever been done right in anime?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=om3h68zqwJA
youtu.be/jO7xq74vJZM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

when it hasn't been turned into a shitty meme

Kurapika from Hunter x Hunter.

Berserk is an example of edge done right.

It's not exactly Sasuke-level edgy, but I really liked Simon's characterization during his emo "Kamina's dead so I hate everything" phase.

This, after the ass raping that was the Eclipse Guts had every right to be an angsty shit for a while

>ass raping that was the eclipse
fair way to put it, I'd be a little pissy too

Guts has had the right to be an angsty shit since he was born. Hell it's practically required considering all he's been through

I mean

technically the ass raping came much earlier in guts' life,

lel
you're not wrong, but fuck you for reminding me
he was so cheap too...

When its telling a good story. If turns out to be edgy, so be it.

Those were much better follow-up episodes than I would have expected from the show that far

makes it even better constructed, he was in his edge shell for his entire childhood, then he opened up with the band of the hawk. The Eclipse happened. That's more than enough to retreat into a KAIOKEN 10 TIMES ULTRA SASUKE EDGE SHELL, that he eventually left with the help of his new party. I wonder what would happen if they all died terribly........ He'll become some kind of berserking edge god .

Devilman.

I should watch season 2?.
I remember 1 being good at the beginning, then the pacing slowly raised until you couldn't keep track of what the fuck was going on.

I always thought Itoshiki's character made fun of the "edgy for the sake of being edgy" characters that infest most anime these days.

Pokemon

I was going to say Alucard from Hellsing, but I realized he isn't edgy.

He's just very happy.

Gotta say, a MC character suddenly turning evil is a concept I'll like people expanded on.

Kurapika

If you're talking about the manga, sure. The final chapter casually invalidating her reason to be an edgy killer was a hilarious plot twist.

Me too.

Leorio is his home now.

Hiei is a good example of edge done well.

Kurapika is good because he's only edgy at certain times for certain reasons, but it still meshes well with his usual serious personality. It'd get annoying if he was all rage all the time.

Edge is never done right and can never be done right, since an edgy character is a failed attempt of trying to do a hardcore/badass character, but ending up with something terribly juvenile.

an edgy story doesn't necessarily mean edgy characters though

Kaiba isn't Edgy. He is just a major self-centered arrogant jerk, but that's why people love him. He is similar to Gilgamesh, only more serious.

Badass but never came across as edgy.

Right here.

I've seen Eden be called edgy way too many times. It's just a dark story in a dark world where war and death are just every day life.

Say my name.

This.

Lelouche.

Yanderes. They are love.

Anonymous

ironically, this phase was a lot more engaging than the version he is now

>never came across as edgy
>TO MEASURE MY ABILITIES

k

When will this meme die

it was a a prank

You should realize by now that people will liberally use "edgy" "comfy" and "buzzword" pretty much fucking everywhere

edgy and comfy no longer has any meaning for me, whenever someone says "comfy" it just means they liked it and whenever someone says "edgy" it just means they don't like it.

I stopped caring about the word comfy once people started spamming that word for Non Non Biyori, which happens to be an incredibly boring show.

so I guess it's so comfy it makes people fall asleep.

You're Heisenberg.

/thread

F R A N C I S

Hei from DtB

I would say Dio from Jojos Bizarre Adventure.

He was edgy from the start with almost no reason but he pulled it off well. Its one of the very few instances of a shallow and simple characters done right.

Hei isn't even edge. He was just extremely melancholic after the events of his life. Come part 2 where he lost yin he ended up drowning himself in booze, and taking it out everyone because that is what usually happens.

The only real edge is the OP, and a the mask Hei wears which are very poor choices given the emotions Hei has. If anything handles the feel of DtB well it is Scatcat

youtube.com/watch?v=om3h68zqwJA

Agreed.

oxoXEdgeL0rD99Xoxo

That one dude from Texhnolyze

>Literally Jigsaw
>Not edgy

HOW COME MY ONLY FRIENDS ARE THE ONES I PAY!

Not anime, but Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria does edge gloriously. It also acknowledges that the characters have fucked up ideologies and plays off that.

Sasuke. If you're gonna go edge, go 1,000-times-folded-steel, cut-through-flesh-and-bone-like-butter edge. I mean, has an edge ever been edgier?

this

Never watched Gundam Wing?

>Kaiba isn't edgy
Somebody clearly hasn't read Death T arc in the original manga

I'd say Hakuryuu is a good example of an edgy character done right.

This is the king of edge. Dark flame master

All joking aside, Sasuke's edge is pretty shit. He should have lost it as soon as Itachi died, but Kishi wanted to force the drama with Nurutu a little more by perpetuating the Uchiha plot, which honestly should have died with Itachi. His whole reason for being edgy was over and then BAM, Kishi pulls a new one straight from his ass.

Fuck off he's not edgy faggot.

He was very edgy. Don't deny it.

Every page you read is covered in edge

update never

"Edginess" in the meme sense is just "darkness" handled poorly. "Edge done right" is just a normally dark story.

The fact that people call any sort of darkness "edgy", even if handled well, is one of the worst memes of recent years.

When you think about it he was extremely edgy as a teenager, but not the kind of edgy that makes you cringe.

This is a good example of edge done right.

Looks shit desu.

*Was

Darker than Black

Maybe it's because you rarely see protagonists use guns in anime but that seen where he threatens thugs with a revolver gave me chills.

The music was also god tier youtu.be/jO7xq74vJZM

>h-he made an angry f-face he's EDGY
Fuck off. What's next, calling Luffy edgy?

Wow, you're a retard. Read the manga.

I have retard. Fuck off with your stupid buzzword.

I thought X did it pretty well. Usually the problem with edgy is that we don't get to see a normal progression of the character to where they are. Instead it's given to us defacto as the character's backstory in flashbacks or exposition or the character tells us how dark and grim he is.

You clearly haven't. Otherwise, you wouldn't be making such retarded posts.

>You clearly haven't.
This coming from the fucking retard posting a page of Hakuryuu saying he will kill Kouen as proof, when he didn't even do it in the end. Fuck off fool.

You're a complete fucking moron. This is a thread about "edge done right". Him refusing to kill Kouen is why his edge was handled well. That doesn't mitigate the fact that before facing Kouen, he was edgy as fuck. You crying about it like the retard you are won't change that.

Robert Paulson

Fuck off retard he wasn't edgy at all and killing someone=/=edgy.

That's all you got?
>N-NO HE WASN'T! Y-YOU'RE WRONG!
OK. I accept your concession.

What so ''dark'' about it? There barely any gore (Actually there none) and horror for the depth/immersion. It's shit.

Also shit with bad pacing and writing

>No argument
I accept YOUR concession retard fuck off and don't come back.

>No argument
Yeah, you don't have one. You've just been repeating "retard" and "fuck off" the entire time. That's not an argument.

>using the word edgy unironically.
Sure are a lot of pussies in this thread.

No, it's the same bullshit as the rest.

Tokyo Gayhole MC powered by crap.

Not him, but learn how to read dude.

I think Hepatica's edgyness is good.

Ren was edgy as fuck at the beginning

>Thinking Chink Zuko is not an edgy faggot