Redline

Tell me what you really think about Redline Sup Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

a.uguu.se/hvujav.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=nVOKhuQDop4
youtube.com/watch?v=WfiPsidO8ok
youtube.com/watch?v=r04X-ImELzc
youtube.com/watch?v=94fPVqJqBGA
youtube.com/watch?v=t6maVVFs0As
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Meme artstyle.
I don't even need to have seen this film to know it is Reddit as fuck.

But 7 years, hand drawn.

Shut up meme poster.

It's not possible for me to care about it less than I already do.

And it still looks worse than movies made in 2 years from 20 years before.

Then why post about it? You could clearly care less apply yourself user

wish they finished Trava...

That is just preference, it looks amazing, that and the soundtrack are really what pull it apart.

>redline
>looking bad

Is this some meme or something?

But I care about you and you clearly value my opinion. I can't let you down by ignoring every shitty thread you make.

ONORE JP!!!!

Just watched this for the first time last week. JP was probably the least interesting character. It would have been nice to see more of the other characters. I enjoyed the theme songs for the different racers and overall it was pretty fun to watch.

It would have worked better as a space dandy movie.

I actually watched this for the first time earlier today.

It was definitely a style over substance type of movie, but I enjoyed it even though it wasn't super memorable.

Masterpiece

I've seen it about 15 times. I rewatch it once every few months. One of my favorite movies.

It's great. Story takes a backseat to the audio and visuals, but it makes it work. It just sets up the movie to be a fun ride without too much drama or angst. The ending was definitely rushed but it didn't take away from my enjoyment of it. I can understand how people who like more plot driven stories may not care for it.

Style over substance is fine as long as that's what the narrative is actually going for.

this movie makes me want a Wacky Races anime with weapons, explosions, and tits

Said it for years, the best part of the movie is the first 10-15 minutes. Yellow Line is just infinitely better. Its all about the racers, racer vs racer battles. The character had interesting designs and we didn't even get backstory on any of them.

Everything after wasn't about the racers. Its about some fucking military planet being hosts of the race against their will, deciding to shoot any racer that goes on that. Its all racers vs faceless mook soldiers in ships or other vehicles. Its all about dumb bioweapon research, Funky Boy actually stopped the race for 5-10 minutes.

I wanted to watch people fucking race

instead, what I got was 10% racing, and 90% world-building done wrong

First expectations of this movie is racing. The promo art is racing, there's cars fucking everywhere. People watch this movie for the first time expecting some racing. People didn't come here to watch a film try to justify its own universe by spending a majority of the film world building while also showing a side plot of some pointless military political shit no one cares about.

Other than the good animation, it's completely shit. If you want an anime racing done right, you watch the 3D Speed Racer movie.

The problem with Redline is actually that it took so long to make that they rushed basically the final race to the point where it got boring. Redline is supposed to be THE race. The ultimate race. The race without rules where all sorts of shit can happen, where we want the MC to catch up from behind and win. And it doesn't do that. It places too much focus on the Robo government and a Godzilla just destroys the race and most of the racers. That's boring.

For example, in the middle section, you get the classic ''we have to build a new car so that we can compete in the final race because it's hardcore''. But it's completely irrelevent because the race actually never matters. The only reason to have an upgrade is so that JC can use *that* and streamline towards the end. That's boring. Sure, the animation was awesome as fuck but it was boring.

Or how about that awesome racer who won so many past races and is considered undefeated. You expect this sort of awesome showdown, but nope, it's just RAAAGFHGHHJHHJJ towards the finish line after using *that*. It doesn't show how awesome of a racer he is, just that he is his own car. Boring.

Comparing Redline to Speed Racer really shows how the latter is superior. The building of a new car is important as it shows the growth of Speed and his need to up his game in the final race. There's a ''legendary racer'' similar in Redline but actually has a point since he ends up losing hard to Speed, and they actually do go toe to toe, rather than just the bullshit RAGGHHHHH like in Redline.

Redline is a joke and a shit, only liked for the animation and nothing else
>huuurrrr watching Redline for the story
It's not about the story but the flow. Even the finale of Speed Racer is better than Redline.

a.uguu.se/hvujav.webm

That was just the set up to have a ridiculous race, it's not what the focus is on, the focus is still in the race.
>getting airdropped from a spaceship into waves of bullets isn't worth the set up

tl;dr

>the end of that webm
He just killed 2 people and everyone is cheering

Also this.
It's so fucking disappointing when the first race is more animated and more exciting than the final big race where everything goes.

No one dies when their car gets fucked. They always conveniently get into safety bubbles. If you watch it again, you'll see two colored bubbles from their car pop out. No one ever dies in Speed Racer because it's a fucking anime gone 3D.

Also, hilariously, the movie goes
>dude, you can't fucking change the world by racing a car
>yeah but that's basically the only thing I can do, and I have to do it
And then Speed ends up racing and basically changes the world. Gotta love that shit.

tl;dr version
Redline is pretty colors without substances, watch Speed Racer

I felt the pretty colours was substance enough, it was pretty exhilarating to watch and it left me a hell of a lot more satisfied than most anime movies do.

I love that gif of Machine Head walking with his cape flowing behind him, reminds me of that one shot from Diebuster.

I honestly thought it was really ugly. the animation did not look that great either.

ITS A REDLINE DAY

What would you consider great animation? Legit question, I thought redline was some top quality stuff

>it's better than the average therefore it's good
I hate that line of reasoning.
Personally, it wasn't exciting enough because there wasn't enough racing and it was done terribly. This is why, when compared to the 3D movie Speed Racer, which is only about racing most of the time, Redline's substance is rather small.

In Redline, you have one good flashy race at the beginning and a mediocre race at the end, destroyed by Godzilla with too much focus on the Robo government. Then a dash for the finish line and it's over. That's the entirety of the races in the movie.

In Speed Racer, you have the first race, you have the sabotaged race, you have the 'race without any rules with shady people' part 1, then part 2 in the mountains that has emotional value to Speed, then you have the big final race where Speed starts literally last space to become first only to become last at the final lap and the win last his hero he idolized.

Speed Racer is an accumulation of races narratively whereas Redline is one good race and a mediocre one that was ruined pointlessly.

>and the win last his hero he idolized.
And win like* his hero he idolized.

This. Speed Racer is a yearly watch for me.

But style is substance.

tl;dr again
I don't mean "it's good because it's better than other films," I think it's good on its own and that was just an observation on the side to illustrate my enjoyment.

something like this. even miyazaki films look better in comparison.

youtube.com/watch?v=nVOKhuQDop4

youtube.com/watch?v=WfiPsidO8ok

It's kind of like watching Michael Bay's Transformers (story is better and more imaginative though); it's not too "deep" and doesn't really go for the feels, but it's just a really fun, wacky ride that makes you go "fuck yeah!" Also hilarious in some parts, especially the reference to Ichi the Killer.

>tl;dr again
Jesus, control your ADHD faggot. That post was barely long.
>I don't care if you think it's bad, it's just good because I enjoyed it
Good for you? My point was that there's nothing good on its own about the movie for it to be considered good except for the animation. That's like if you argued that you liked flashing colors and moving keys and found it enjoyable. If you just shrug and say ''well I just liked it, okay?'' doesn't make it good, it just means you got entertained by nothing.

I mean, I think everything about it was good. You're free to shrug and go "I only liked the animation" but that doesn't make it bad, y'know? Just means you failed to be entertained by something.

There's more to movies than just animation.
The whole is greater than the sum of its parts, and liking only one part doesn't make the whole good.

Why do you have such a hard on for Speed Racer? They're two different movies, doing two different things. Speed Racer is a good movie yes, it has great races. Redline is all about the spectacle and not really about the mechanics of the races. I mean the whole set up is meant to be ridiculous, you have the race on a hostile alien planet, magical girls in a transforming car, magic pills that make your car faster, not to mention the protagonist races in a trans am while the competition races in rocket powered behemoths. I think there is enough to appreciate from the visuals and light story to make it good.

The ending fucking sucked

I agree, liking the whole makes it good and I liked the whole. I don't even fetishize animation like most fans of the film but it still managed to knock my socks off.

Because the set up and build up amounts to nothing and Speed Racer actually delivers on that build up.
Do you seriously not see how both are similarly structure?
>first race to set up who the main character is
>shenanigans with main character and the world
>time to build a new car for the ending race
>one of the finalist driver is this uber perfect driver who is legendary and never lost
>final race
>kiss girl at the end

My argument is that the flow of how Redline went through that structure wasn't well done. It tried to hide its flaws with cool weird shit, like transforming cars, alien planets, using THAT to win (magic bullshit THAT pills to win).
It's basically what said.
Some cool shit doesn't excuse the poor execusion of the movie.
Speed Racer didn't need all that magic shit, or the pill that makes your car go faster or being set on the moon or in space. All that shit puts less focus on the driver himself.
What made JC so good as a character? Was it because he drove well? In the first race, it was. He stayed in the back to let other people bet against him then win. But what makes him so awesome in the final race? He used *THAT* into his car and held on for dear life. How does that show that he's a good driver?
That's not driving, that's not exciting. The animation of him holding on for dear life was great, but that's just the only thing it has going for it.

Speed Racer places focus on its main driver, hypes him up to be awesome and shows him actually be awesome the entire movie. He ends up living up to his own legend and idol by accomplishing a feat that he found out was faked in the middle of the movie.

>hasn't seen Redline
>claims other people are Reddit

Newfags are as obvious as the sun, why do they even try?

Fun movie, rewatch it every now and then. Also the hype threads for when it was finally released and transalted and the sticky for it were fun times on Sup Forums.

user, I love you.

>It tried to hide its flaws with cool weird shit, like transforming cars, alien planets, using THAT to win (magic bullshit THAT pills to win).

What made the movie enjoyable to watch, in my opinion, was all the cool weird shit. Yes the plot is weak and yes it isn't a pure racing movie. I just think it's good for what it is, a fun, visually captivating story with plenty of style and good animation. You're not gonna change my opinion on it by comparing it to speed racer so I'll just agree to disagree.

Fucking fantastic. A perfect movie.

>meme noun
I hate you shits so fucking much.

The ending is so abrupt and weirdly anticlimactic. It kind of ruins the movie.

MACHINE HEAD

Why'd you respond to me?

Don't do that ever again.

Alright, but I'll still call your opinion shit and that you're entitled to fun.

The entire final race is anticlimactic.
The whole ''seven years hand drawn'' really took its toll.

>liking redline is shit taste
Seriously Sup Forums is there anything that isn't shit taste?

>all these people saying that meme race movie made by the trannie brothers was actually good
what the fuck happened to my Sup Forums?

god jesus christ, no taste, no brain, pls suicide

>caring about who made the movie rather than the movie itself
You're like one of those SJW who all smugly remind everyone that the term redpill was created by them

>Meme artstyle.
Reminder to report crossboarding scum.

learn2read
speed racer was pure shit, and the wachowskis are way overrated

>meme race
>what the fuck happened to my Sup Forums
Definitive proof that newshitters consider themselves oldfags.

I doubt that you could even explain why Speed Racer is pure shit without mentioning the CG.

>neo-Sup Forums not only dislikes Redline, one of the better anime movies ever, but they claim it's actually bad

Holy fuck, this board really is dying.

>be speed racer MC
>put some angry face while moving my arms randomly because reasons
>be like that the whole fucking movie

sure user, speed racer was a great movie

>one of the better anime movies ever
>it's better than the average therefore it's good
Every time.

>trust me, I've seen a whole five animes!

You don't even have a baseline on what the average anime movie is like, don't pretend.

>the entire movie takes place in the car
Uh huh, you sure watched that movie alright.

>>the entire movie takes place in the car
you said not to mention the CG parts, so yes

Ouch, that was good.

Oh, like you know my entire anime viewing experience.
As if you have a baseline for why my criticism of Redline is wrong. Better than the average is still not a praise by any means. If it can't stand on its own and needs to be compared to make it good, then it's not worth being considered good. It just means you think the medium itself has such a low standard that your own standard for what is considered 'good' is entirely shit.

Yeah, you haven't even watched it at all.

I don't mean to be rude but redline is pretty average. its nothing extraordinary. I also don't buy that it took 7 years to draw. the animation isn't that great.

there have been better examples of good animation done well.

youtube.com/watch?v=r04X-ImELzc

youtube.com/watch?v=94fPVqJqBGA

youtube.com/watch?v=t6maVVFs0As

They weren't both trannies yet at the time.

He didn't say it was good, he said it was one of the better anime movies out there.

Your entire post is non-applicable to his. Do you have brain damage?

Also, Redline was good because it was a joy to watch the animation and style. The plot was largely irrelevant.

Redline is like a Michael Bay anime movie, and its fine to enjoy things like that. Not everything has to be pretentious to be good user.

Holy shit, this is some top tier newfag bait.

EVERYTHING'S OKAY

>If it can't stand on its own and needs to be compared to make it goo
The animation is the substance.

You were defending Speed Racer, the best parts of it are analogous to the best parts of Redline, and you don't seem to understand.

/thread

>He didn't say it was good, he said it was one of the better anime movies out there.
He's implying that it's not bad therefore good, since you can't dislike it or claim that it's bad.

>Redline is like a Michael Bay anime movie
As if that statement itself isn't an argument for why Redline isn't good. Just because you're easily amused by moving keys and flashy colors and say it's enjoyable doesn't make it good.

Seriously, the only good Michael Bay movies are Bad Boys II and Pain & Gain.

>Not everything has to be pretentious to be good user.
Nor does everything good have to be pretentious either.

>The animation is the substance.
The animation is the only substance, which is why it's bad.
The whole is greater than the sum of its parts and when only one part is good and praiseworthy, then it's not good.

>the best parts of it are analogous to the best parts of Redline, and you don't seem to understand.
Such as?

>Such as?
The cinematography.

>The animation is the only substance, which is why it's bad.
Wrong. Animation is the most important metric when judging an animated work. If you think otherwise, try books.

I wasn't trying to bait anyone.

even wings of honneamise is better than redline.

>The cinematography.
Which part of the cinematography is similar?

>Animation is the most important metric when judging an animated work.
It's one of the most important but not the only of importance. Story, structure, narrative flow, music, are all equally important. Again, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You're just arguing that because animation is of more importance, that the rest doesn't matter to the extent where having only good animation makes something good. I bet you'll say that the The Thief and the Cobbler is good as well because it has good animation despite being a complete mess.

It's p good

>Which part of the cinematography is similar?
Any of it.

>You're just arguing that because Speed Racer's cinematography is of more importance, that the rest doesn't matter to the extent where having only good cinematography makes something good.
Do try and argue that all the "plot" and deep RacerX familial ties made Speed Racer good. I'd like to laugh my ass off at you.

Story is massively overrated in visual works. Flow (editing) is certainly important, and music is good. They are nowhere near as important as visual competence.

>The whole is greater than the sum of its parts
I ignored that earlier because I thought you maybe made an error in your phrasing, but that's bullshit. Something CAN be, but it doesn't need to be. I'm not even one of the people that thinks Redline is GOAT or whatever, but to say it's "bad" is sheer folly.

I liked the first 10 minutes or so- you know, the first race. Everything else not so much.

The art and animation is good but everything else is shit.

It's always funny to see newfags and contrarians on Sup Forums trying to say that one of the better anime in the last ten years isn't good because it doesn't have much besides animation.

And yet you fucks flood the board with garbage VN adaptations, the shounenshit show of the season and suck Imaishi's cock on an almost daily basis for months when anything from him comes out.

Redline looked better than anything that came out back then, it also spared us from pretentious plotlines and didn't even pretend to be a deep story or anything revolutionary.

It set out to be a great visual work and little else, and it delivered in that, the music was also pretty good and the characters were great, for what it is, an animation driven movie, it's pretty good, not one of the best by all means but good nonetheless.

But then again, we're on Sup Forums, where gutter trash like KLK gets praised and K-ON is the epithome of the SoL for you shitters, no wonder you can't appreciate something so simple.

>Any of it.
Wow, that's so specific. Almost as if you have nothing to show what is similar at all.

>Do try and argue that all the "plot"
The plot is entirely simple on purpose. A kid drives a car and saves the world. That's it. It doesn't have to be deep. What makes it good is that the movie acknowledges that it's corny and ridiculous. Speed's father even remarks that you can't just drive a fucking car and expect to change the world, because the world doesn't work that way. And yet that's exactly what happens at the end of the race because the story knows exactly what it's trying to be and what it isn't. Everything about the plot works perfectly. None of the characters are wasted, all have their own purpose and each gets their own moment, even the mechanic guy. Speed Racer is a perfectly structured plot that keeps it simple. There's also worldbuilding info hidden under the story, like corporation families having their own racers, mafia underground racers (similar to Redline) and the arms race of technology being controlled by both sides.

>deep RacerX familial ties made Speed Racer good. I'd like to laugh my ass off at you.
Is that a dare? Do you want me to? Fine, let's do it.

First off, in the old Speed Racer anime, .RacerX was the same as it is in the movie, it's Speed's brother. And it should be immediately noted that it's one of the sad ironies of the anime, that through the course of the entire story, Speed never finds out what happens to his brother. But anyone who watched the show knew immediately the connection because it was so obvious. The Wachowski knew this as well and added it in the movie but with a twist, namely that Speed could notice the connection just as well as the audience because it was obvious. But the kicker comes in that Speed doesn't find out about his brother being alive, and just like the anime, lives on never knowing the truth.
The movie at once does a nod to the old show, builds up on it while keeping the irony.

Garbage movie. No wonder Takeshi Koike got fired.

Oh, so you're judging the individualistic opinion of one person compared to the collective opinion, huh? Truly an argument.
Just because everyone has shit taste does not make the argument where it is made shit as well.

No, I'm saying that you faggots entirely miss the point of the movie and try to sound like tasteful erudites.

No sane person watches Redline for the plot, all of this criticism towards the plot and narrative is completely useless because it wasn't even remotely the point of the movie, you're literally complaining about what the movie isn't about.

Might as well complain about Dead Leaves not having a good story and having schizophrenic narrative.

The fact that the vast majority of this board has shit taste and act like pretentious twats is just the icing on the cake.

It's not about the plot but the structure of the plot you idiot. How many times do I have to argue this.
Are you going to argue that the final race, with Godzilla and too much focus on the Robo government rather than the race itself was enjoyable and exciting? Was not seeing how good of a racer JC was in the final race enjoyable?

I think you're the one missing the point of the criticism.

Dunno, I forgot about it. What do you think about it, fagOP?

Atrocious art style.
Cartoonish as fuck.
Forced animation.

it's shit.

not the user you were replying to but I didnt watch redline for the plot. I watched it because everyone had been saying how amazing the animation was.

I personally did not like the animation in redline. I found it looked cheap at points.

Which brings up another point. If someone isn't impressed by the animation, what does Redline have to offer?
If you keep saying that Redline is good for its good animation and the rest doesn't matter, and a person isn't impressed by it, what would you even praise of the movie?

>Are you going to argue that the final race, with Godzilla and too much focus on the Robo government rather than the race itself was enjoyable and exciting? Was not seeing how good of a racer JC was in the final race enjoyable?
Let me spell it out for you:

WHO

FUCKING

CARES

I didn't pay money for that, I payed for visuals and visuals alone and the movie delivered, again, it was an animated movie for the sake of animation and I got good animation.

Your criticism would be good for any other movie than Redline where narrative is an excuse to draw cool shit.

You're that kind of autist who would complain about Inferno Cop having shitty animation and using the same trite narrative structure and gags all the time.

Again, you went in expecting anything other than animation for the sake of it, you're the one at fault.

>WHO
>FUCKING
>CARES

Exactly my point.

>you went in expecting anything other than animation for the sake of it, you're the one at fault.
I was expecting fast cars and racing. The movie is at fault for being shit with good animation.

>Inferno Cop having shitty animation and using the same trite narrative structure and gags all the time.
Are you kidding, it's hilarious. Which even backs up my point that you don't need animation to be good or the only important thing.
Because the whole is greater than the sum of its part. Inferno Cop didn't rely on only the animation, and, if anything, its lack of animation made it funnier.

its completely subjective. It differs from person to person. maybe people are drawn in by the pretty colors? its colorful sure but I don't consider it to be amazing in the animation department.

>Animation is the most important metric when judging an animated work.
That's ridiculous. Why even watch anime then? It's mostly low budget.