What's your favorite anime film, Sup Forums?

What's your favorite anime film, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CdqoNKCCt7A
fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/
youtube.com/watch?v=ycfdfinG_P8
youtube.com/watch?v=hXDNGS9V4Us
youtube.com/watch?v=m4DyTjrruVo
youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
youtube.com/watch?v=_9WEyuMq0Yk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's a great film in its own right, but I think it's the weakest one from Kon.

I don't know maybe this or Only Yesterday

Probably EoE or DYRL

Laputa or Jin-Roh, can't decide.

Angel's Egg if OVA's count.

Akira, time of eve, EoE, Harmony

What's the appeal of 5cm aside from the visualgasm?

EoE, but aside from that obvious choice I can't pick between Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Paprika, Time of Eve, and Spirited Away.

Wolf Kids

it's a reminder of the dangers of race-mixing

This movie was so fucking comfy

I see people are already giving the meme answer of EoE. Classic Sup Forums.

As in the Itoh thing? Was it that good? I haven't seen it yet.

How does the movie compare to the OVAs of Time of Eve?

The movie is almost exactly the same as the OVAs, but with a really smooth transition between episodes. I think there are a handful more scenes in the movie, but you're not missing out on too much watching one or the other.

Easily the most underrated Ghibli film. People tend to favor the likes of Spirited Away and Mononoke, but I honestly think that Kiki, Whisper of the heart and the studio's more personal/less ambitious works are better.

Man that's a good movie.

It hits close to home, and it gives me different feels each time I watch it

The MC was too embarrassed to write the girl he was in love with, and over time, that was compounded with the guilt of not having contacted her, but he never got over her, and he let that remain a huge a regret for him that stopped him from ever trying for another relationship.
Even at the end, when he sees her across the train tracks, he still thinks maybe this is his second chance.
And even we (or at least I) as the audience believe (or at least want to) that even though she's getting married, maybe something is going to happen.
But she gives zero fucks, doesn't even talk to him, because she's completely over him and she can tell that he isn't.

It's a parable about A) putting yourself out there, or if that fails, then B) getting over it.

I mean, 5cm is pretty hit-or-miss.
Most people either think it's a fantastic vignette or it's empty as fuck.

The one me and your waifu made.

>personal/less ambitious works
>doesn't mention the greatness that is Only Yesterday

Know shame, user.

What do you think of the ending of Only Yesterday?
I loved everything up the ending, but I felt like the last few minutes kind of betrayed the rest of the movie, which was about growing up.
Yeah, it was partly about rediscovering her childhood, but I felt like it was also about how she had learned from her past, and her final decision was very much a return to her childlike innocence.

I mean, her plan was "okay, so I'm considering moving out here, let me go back to the city and think it over", and then she suddenly decides, "hey fuck it let's just do it right now."

Sorry, it's just that I haven't seen anyone mention Omoide Poroporo in so long here.

It wasn't perfect, but I have a real soft spot for The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

I hated it the first time I watched it, but I couldn't stop thinking about it, and it strangely grew on me.
Then I rewatched it and now I really enjoy it; probably not my favorite, but still just really quite nice.

The message itself. It's about letting go of your past and being aware of the present or else you'll just end up regretting endlessly.

I would even go so far as to call it boring on purpose. Like, a good half an hour or so is basically watching these two characters wait for each other sitting down on a bench or in a train. Although it's boring, that boredom makes you relate how much they are throwing their time just to get together rather than accept the reality that they have to do so much just to get together. Sometimes in life, some things don't go the way you want it to and you have to accept it.

I was expecting more from this film considering all the hype surrounding it. Not that it wasn't enjoyable, but I found it to be one of the weakest Madhouse films.

>But she gives zero fucks, doesn't even talk to him
Well, she did look back

meant to

Empire of corpse was a good concept, poor delivery but entertaining,

Harmony is ghost in the shell/2deep4u/ stuff, I recommend watching it

Cuntly load~

The Girl who Leaped Through Time is a completely shit. I personally have deep hatred for it because it went a direction I really enjoy about time travel, the main girl was fun and then it just went to shit.

It started with everything I wanted in a time travel story with the girl trying things out, being wacky and having fun with her time traveling powers like any teenager would. But then her friends fall in love with her and she can only run away from her troubles and hope they go away, when you know it won't solve anything. Everything up to that point is perfect.
Chaos theory working very well, everything being connected and the message, by the middle, that no matter what you do, it will still affect someone else (I think it was the fire extinguisher bit hitting a guy even though the girl tried to same someone). Everything up to that point was near perfection and I loved it.

But then, BAM, the time rock has a limit on it, for no fucking reason, she can't time travel, the story is brought to a halt, the friend is revealed to be a time traveler from the future for no reason, they fall in love, even though she didn't want to be in love and wasn't ready for it and it basically ends with nothing.

Everything that was built up at the beginning and middle of the movie was thrown away for basically no reason out of nowhere.

>Well, she did look back
She didn't exist. It was basically a metaphor of the main character coming to terms with his life and his past. This is why you see the girl vanish when the train passes.

I've always seen it as a sort of "you don't know what you have until it's gone" message, but I do see what you're saying.

Man, I was about to write a text explaining my feelings about the movie, but you managed to convey everything I think about it with your post.

KILL

YOUR

SELF

If that was the intention, why would they bother to show her in scenes that are independent of his presence?
If what you're saying is true, I think it would have worked better to only show her at the train crossing, instead of including her preparing for her wedding and then going out for a walk.

This is exactly how I took it. It's a don't take things for granted story. I think it was done quite well overall and really enjoy it. A lot of people just get salty over."bad endings".

I mean, I do think he has a point, in that the plot feels like it just gets dropped in the end.
I kind of just hand-wave it and sweep it under the rug by saying, "well yeah, that's part of the message of not taking things for granted", even though I don't think that was really the intention.

I just gave a few examples to get my point across. Only Yesterday is also among my favorite Ghibli films and it indeed fits in the category that I described.

What do you enjoy about Kiki?
It's one of the few Ghibli films that I actually did not like because it felt very empty to me, but it's been several years since I watched it, and I've been thinking about revisiting it.

Millennium Actress, with Porco Rosso as a close second.

It's not about the ending being bad, sad or anything like that. It's more like the story took a nonsensical turn out of nowhere, they could have kept the ''don't take things for granted'' message without resorting to such a stupid twist.

Always wondered if there was a happy ending hidden in there, or if it was just a bittersweet "what could have been."

Ya'll niggas forgettin' somethin

Mononoke-hime
I'm a sucker for fairy tale adventures.

Fuck, meant to

Tie between Spirited Away and Redline

I think Porco Rosso was my first anime movie as a lad.

I still remember feeling confused about an animated film handling such serious themes, but getting really emotional during the dreamlike vision of the procession of dead pilots.

Paradox Paradigm

>First time watching
What the fuck is going on?
>Second time watching
This is fucking genius. I think this moment is where the movie really clicked for me and cemented itself as my favorite.
These would be my runner ups actually.

Seen a fair amount of these, can agree on their greatness. Would like to toss in The Wind Rises. That stayed with me for a good while.

The Spirited Away train sequence still makes me tear up for some reason.

Char's counterattack

I was going through an old hard drive the other day when I found a shitty dvd-rip of Porco Rosso. Opened it it up and started skipping through until I found this scene. Watching it, a single tear appeared in my eye. It was weird. That's never happened to me before.

Tamako Love Story is my personal favourite but I've seen most mentioned in the thread and I think they're great too.

It was conceived through fanservice, took half an hour to really start, and turned a conclusive ending to a series into a cliffhanger.

But Rebellion Story still has some of my favorite uses of animation and symbolism that I've seen in a film.

>Seen a fair amount of these, can agree on their greatness.
It's threads like these that make me take a step back and appreciate the richness of the medium. There always seems to be one more film, series, OVA, or short that's worth viewing and recommending.

The library of worthy manga is even more staggering, doubtless.

youtube.com/watch?v=CdqoNKCCt7A

Still alive?

So because it was a flawed in its entirety and a shit movie, but it's your favorite because of the symbolism?
Don't you think that just screams ''I don't watch enough of anything and my standards are very low''?

What's your problem?

He's a dick. Just ignore him.

I like the coming of age aspect of the story. It has magical aspects to it, but if you take that away the movie turns into just a girl coming into terms with her own insecurities and trying to establish a new life in a unknown town. Some people find it to be rather plain, but that's exactly what makes it great to me because it seems genuine and not something overly dramatized, which is the same reason why I love Whisper of the Heart, both of these films have drama, however I view them as being more genuine and honest dramas than most anime or live action films out there. To put it simple, most of the things that Kiki got through in the film are simple and in a way, rather ordinary, but at the same time they're conveyed in such a relatable and honest way that I can't help but feel really immersed in the whole thing.

I also really love the comfy but at the same time motivational atmosphere that the movie has. It's rather difficult to convey in words, but I always get filled with tenderness, joy and inspiration when I watch this movie for some reason.

I can't stop loving you

This movie kinda unsetlled me

It's hard to narrow it down to one

Out of the list I probably like Innocence the best, Only Yesterday coming in at a close second

I never understood the train sequence, but it always felt so unknown and unsettling but appealing at the same time.

Where my Wolf Children niggas at?

Delete this.

delete this
*unzips dick*

I've had this downloaded forever. I'm not really a Hosoda fan, but I've heard nothing but good things about this. I'm on a movie streak right now so I'll probably watch it soon. Hope I like it.

Akira
Jin-Roh
Totoro
5cm/sec
GiTS
Time of Eve
Kite
Paprika
Children Who Chase Lost Voices
Literally any other unmentioned Ghibli movie

It's hard to pick a favorite.

Please stop posting this. What are you going to do when the actual movie is out?

Kiki's delivery service
one of the first movies in general that i watched, i was three or four when i first saw it

Threadly reminder that you should stop posting that because it's been updated.

fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/

The disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya.

>He's not aware of Keit-Ai's international title

I would also recommend you to revisit the movie. Maybe it isn't your cup of tea but maybe you just have to watch with the right mentality to really appreciate it. I mean, I didn't really liked Grave of Fireflies at first but after revisiting it some years ago the feeling of the film finally got to me, and I begun to appreciate it much more.

This film hit me hard when I was a child. I remember crying so hard at the end
>Who am I

>What are you going to do when the actual movie is out?

He's probably going to spam it more.

Then use another unrelated anime and claim it's a sequel.

>I didn't really liked Grave of Fireflies at first but after revisiting it some years ago the feeling of the film finally got to me, and I begun to appreciate it much more.
I swear that someone once said that it's one of those movies where you only need to watch once to understand and that you aren't human if you needed to watch it again. I know it was some famous critic but I can't remember who it was.

Is this considered a classic yet?

OP: youtube.com/watch?v=ycfdfinG_P8
ED1: youtube.com/watch?v=hXDNGS9V4Us
ED2: youtube.com/watch?v=m4DyTjrruVo
PV: youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
EP 1: youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k

fucking this

Ban evading is against the rules, you know.

I think most western critics really missed the point of the movie to be honest.

That animation style. Wew lad.

You're one to talk.

I'd say.

It was a pretty solid movie for the most part. It's unusual to pick such a modern anime movie and I think that's why you are being criticized but I enjoyed it in its entirety and loved the cake song.

This. Every actual critic thinks it's just anti-war, and every smug wannabe critic thinks it's about preaching how hard life in the 40s was to young nips, because of that Takahata quote that's abused everywhere, so they act like the kid being stupid is a hole, when that's the whole point.

I don't know what are you talking about.

They were just trying to be edgy.

It's always been considered a classic. The only small gripe I have with the movie is that it doesn't have enough of Asakura.

You're not fooling me you know.

I'm pretty sure that some critics understood that it wasn't an anti-war movie but more of a ''this just happens in war, and people try and survive the best they can''.

youtube.com/watch?v=_9WEyuMq0Yk

ALWAYS

Mottain-Ai, Your N-Ai-Me, and Keit-Ai.