Berserk

Guys, when I was a lad, I read the first couple of volumes of Berserk at my public library, and after all these years I want to read it again, but this time in full.

But, should I simply buy the books, or should I watch the anime instead? Is the series on DVD? (The original series, not that Egg of the King shit which I did watch and wasn't bad, but I digress).

I just don't want to sift through wikipedia trying to find this shit out and spoil myself. Please help?

download the manga and make sure it's darkhorse scans. Mangasee also has dark horse scans, just make sure not to read hawk scans, they are abysmal. The old anime is obsolete now, other then the stellar soundtrack.

>The old anime is obsolete now
How come? And what's wrong with the other scans, are they censored or something?

The main reason people even watched the old anime back in the day was cause there weren't readily available manga scans. Hell, I'm pretty sure the manga wasn't even officially translated at the time yet either.

It has a lot of nostalgia with oldfags, but really the manga is much better, has a million times better art (pic related) , it foreshadows what goes down in the golden age with the first three volumes, and the anime just cut out a bunch of stuff. If you plan on reading ahead you might be confused. It doesn't have Skull Knight, who shows up later, nor puck.

They're not censored, but just badly translated. Some pages have missing text, or have goofy dialogue, or constant name shifts (gatts, guts, casca, caska, puck, paak etc). Dark Horse is just much more professional; I guess there are times though where I might prefer Hawks over DH with the way guts talks.

I gotcha.

So, is this what I should be looking for?

That pic I just posted is DarkHorse Vol.1

And I should just avoid the anime entirely?

where'd you get that? Cause mangasee and like spectrum nexus have the same covers but one is DH and the other isn't.

Amazon says the publisher is Dark Horse.

If it's dark horse than it's good. And I'd say so until you finish the eclipse, after that it's up to you if you want to watch it or not. If you REALLY like the series and want to see it animated than maybe, personally I got bored, but you'll have to see for yourself.

Alright thanks mate. So make sure the publisher is Dark Horse and that's it. Makes sense.

Now about the anime, I think what I'm gonna do is just grab the first couple episodes, because it appears the way the DVDs are broken down is 2-4 episodes per disc and each disc you have to buy separately, kind of like the way DBZ used to do when it was still on the air before those orange season boxes came out.

So, would pic related be what I should be getting? Or is there something else I should be searching for?

from what I see on amazon yeah, it has the first five episodes. The entire series costs buttloads of money or isn't even available in amazon.

Yeah I know. I'm lookin on ebay too and it's generally cheaper there, but it's gonna be at least a hundred bucks.

Either way, I was just gonna buy the first disc just to see if I like it or not, then get more later if I do. So fuck it, it's only 10 bucks. Gonna go for it and get the first couple of Dark Horse manga volumes from amazon. Thanks for your help, mate.

IIRC there's a new Berserk anime coming out? Is it a re-telling of the original manga or some new stupid continuation shit like DB Super? Should I get hype or just pretend it doesn't exist Like DB Super ?

It skips the golden age arc (the movies already went over that, and so did the old anime) and goes straight to the first three volumes which were right after a certain plot point and everything after that as well, or it should anyway. Don't know how much farther after the first three volumes it plans to adapt, but it's all new material that has never been animated before. Kek, definitely not DB super it's just adapting parts of the manga that have never been animated before.

How many movies came out? Egg of the King and what else? It's a trilogy? The other two haven't come on to blu-ray or anything yet I'm assuming because I couldn't find them anywhere. It's so fucking scary looking around / trying to get info on something because there are spoilers around every corner.

I just want to make sure I understand where the canon ends and begins and the best way to experience it (besides the manga which I'm assuming covers it all?).

yep, it's a trilogy. Only three movies were covered so far, and the anime covers the same parts that the movies do. Except the movies are really compact and leave out a lot of material, as well as have PS2 looking CG. The anime coming out is a continuation of where the movies left off, except it starts in the first three volumes since the movies didn't start in medias res.

So, skip the movies and wait for the new anime since they both cover the same shit? (Or did you mean the new movies cover the same thing as the OLD anime?)

the movies cover the same parts as the old anime I mean, they cover the same arc and end in the same spot. The new anime coming out this summer, is adapting parts of the manga that have never been animated before. Well actually a really small portion of the first volume was adapted in the old anime, but it leaves out a good chunk of the that first arc pre golden age.

Alright, sweet. I think that's everything then. Thanks for spoonfeeding me and allowing me to avoid spoilers. I hate looking up information about shit that you're trying to get into, it almost always ruins it.

canon 1
>manga

canon 2
>new movies = old anime
>new anime = new shit

I think I've got it. Thanks again.

No, the new anime continues where the recent movies (Berserk: The Golden Age Arc I-III) left off. The movies do cover the same material as the old anime, though.

You can skip pretty much all of that and just sink your time into actually reading the manga. Unless you really don't have the patience for that, in which case I would recommend the new movies, even though a lot of people really disliked the CGI in those.

I watched the first movie and ALMOST shut it off during the first battle scene which had that awful CG, but after muscling through that, there was no more CG in the rest of the movie. Not sure about the latter two though. Does the CG get more rampant?

They still use CG a lot in the later movies, but it doesn't look as egregious in the first movies. But yeah if you hate CG then, the movies aren't for you. The new anime is also planning on using CG too though.

Fuck me.

Welp, I'm a buyfag so I just got Vol 1 of the manga from amazon and Vol 1 of the original anime from ebay.

Let's see what happens.

Anyway, Guts appreciation thread?

I believe this is a hawk scan (it might be evil genius, someone correct me if I'm wrong) but yeah this is the level of Berserk scanlation quality and why you should use Dark Horse instead, kek. And cool, would say to let us know what you think of the manga but derp.

>Guts talking like a nigger
Disgusting.

And when I was 15 back when the manga came out I thought it was fucking great, but that was so fucking long ago. The library I where I read them isn't even there anymore.

I think that was EG

For op's health and mine where can I find berserk prototype? Haven't been able to find a reliable rip or scan anywhere

>berserk prototype
explain

it should be included in v14

Kind of glad Guts doesn't have an eyepatch anymore, even though it'd make sense. It just so looks so retarded on him.

Also op if you aren't a fan of the first three volumes or find it edgy and Guts to be "nothin personnel" kid esque, keep reading. It gets exponentially better. And I didn't even mind the first three volumes, and even enjoyed them. I just know a lot of people whine about them or refuse to read on cause of them.

Alright, thanks for the tip.

Yes that's the one