Why do people act like "character development" is such a big deal?

Why is it so important to you that a character MUST change?

Character development isn't just a character changing but showing all their sides though.

Are you aware of how a story works?
Having a character that never grows or evolves. That is a flat character. Characters that grow, change, suffer, love, lose, etc. Those are the characters that people enjoy and want to see.

People tend to enjoy stories involving characters and how they react to a given circumstance.

The character doesn't always have to change. For example, learning from his past mistakes is a huge character development and doesn't necessarily change the character.

is this like when you watch hentai and the character changes from innocent to slut within 23 minutes of action?

Character development is important to show not only how a characters actions have consequences on their surroundings, but also on themselves. That said, character development doesnt necesserily imply change, it might as well be a character becoming aware of himself.
> why is it important?
it adds depth to a character and their motivation

Op is right, anime fans often act like character development is the end be all of writing, when it's very possible to write a good story without it. Also no development makes the characters static, not flat.

In anime which are just for comfort like this season's Tanaka-kun, character development is pretty unnecessary, because the show just aims to be comfy, not dramatic.

Obviously you want to see character development in shows like Boku no Hero accademia, since no one likes to see a pussy mc throughout the whole series.

TLDR: Depends on the show

In your opinion and using as bad what you said, did Kumiko had some development?

static characters with an already strong established personality are absolutely fine you fucking retard

I've never seen the show.
Hi Satoshi!

To be fair most of the anime characters are so generic that even when the development happens it's hardly interesting because it's just a transition from one overused archetype to another

>I've never seen the show.
Because you're waiting for S2 so you can marathon it, right?

She went from "I kinda like music and dislike being stuck with the Euph" to "I fucking love music and the Euph. I want to stand on the same level as my best friend Reina." So, yes.

No, it's just your misconception born from the way people memetically use the term here. In reality the "development" part refers to the way the narrative is created - it's not the character's persona that's necessarily changing diegestically - it's your impression of her, what you know and think about her and her actions. The author is developing the character in the same vein as he develops the story. A well-developed character is one that you're able to rationally understand due to having been shown or told certain amount of information about her in a certain way. A poorly developed character is one whose motivations remain unclear or seem insufficient to you. Whether the character's views and ideals change or not during her development (that is, while the author is developing her as an entity presented to you) is entirely irrelevant in the traditional understanding of the term.

There's plenty of successful stories that have no character development at all

It's not. It's certainly a positive point that adds value to the story, but that doesn't mean it's necessary or that it would work in any kind of story.

I don't care how successful a a story is if the characters don't change or grow in some way.

Some character aren't mean to develop or are already fully developed.

Usually a complain about the lack of development comes from the fact X character didn't manage to overcome one/many of his blatant flaws making its static grating nature unwanted.

Whether the use of the expression "character development" is used right or wrong is irrelevant for the scope of this thread.

OP is asking why so many people think that a character must "grow" and why the lack of that is automatically considered a flaw.

I think the reason character development is so overrated is because people lump it with characterization, which is usually very important.

Because most stories are about people facing something they can't handle properly, and trying to deal with it.

Power levels are a damn lazy way of handling this. Hair cutting is lazy as well. When people say character development, it doesn't have to mean that I cut my hair, and I'm a different person from now on, it just means getting lost, and finding your way.
Even comedy, and shows where nothing happens have this. Image related, you just have to spin it.

I've seen threads here before where the OP asks, "what's more important to you, story or characters?" and nearly all anons reply "characters." I wonder why that is?

It's probably a reaction to the strengths most present in the medium, which tends to be popular character archetypes. The stories are often bad because they're inconclusive due to how manga and LNs are made to be milked for years. It has to focus on characters.

But why do those characters have to constantly change for people to like them?

>MUST change
only if you're an autistic retard that watch capeshit movies

Tell me OP, why must the main character defeat the big bad. Especially if nothing changes since all the characters are one-dimentional cardboard boxes.

every live action movie ever
there's just not time for chatacter development in like two hours

>constantly change
That's not what character development means.

This is the scum that nurutu threads atract to this place.
Kill yourself degenerate

>bait.exe

In all seriousness, there are two ways a story can progress - through developing the setting or developing the characters.

Since most people suck at building rich, living worlds that they can develop easily, we're stuck with character development as a plot device to advance the story.

At least some of the archetypes include their own development as an integral part. Like "classic tsundere" going deredere or kuudere opening up. Those are just obvious examples. I'm not really sure how deep it goes.

Some people just have a really simplistic idea of "character development" as "character goes from weak trait to strong trait", and they treat it as a formula that a story must follow to be good. But really it's just a boring cliche used in generic stories like My Hero Academia.

"Character development" can also mean "a character's depth becomes more and more apparent to the audience", which isn't necessarily following some linear path of growth or change in-universe. This kind of character development is almost always a good thing.

>"a character's depth becomes more and more apparent to the audience"
That's specifically CHARACTERIZATION, you illiterate.

No, it's character development. People often use the term that way, including in this thread.

Holy shit, Sup Forums what is wrong with you this morning?

Is absolutely right, allowing shonenshit threads to be babysat is what attracts these morons.

Name one thing wrong with static characters.

Failed fan fiction writers who never understood what the rules of fiction really meant.

Character development is for "muh realism" fags.

Face it, cartoons and byproduct the most tv shows are simply single dimensional in characterizations. The moment the status quo is changed, people get hyped.

ITT: Soulless chinks

Stories with bad characters are bad

This. I wish these hibiki assholes would just stop trying to shove this garbage story in people's faces. Its absolute trash. If KyoAni was dumb and bought the fucking IP, that's their business, and it doesn't mean people are forced to suffer through it.

I was ok with just making believe this turd simply never happened just out of respect for KyoAni's previous works, but these asshole fanboys keep insisting on making excuses for bad writing, trying to make people like this garbage.

lots of 'great' novels have little character development, characters dont necessarily need to progress down an arc to make fiction work

though in that case setting / deeper themes become important in carrying the story

Hibike has some of the deepest anime characters ever. You can spend entire threads discussing the characterization of Reina or Kumiko.

I don't know if you're being ironic or not, but this is entirely true. Hibike's characters are fantastic and all of them have extremely well developed motivations, compelling character traits, and many have good character arcs as well.

>That is a flat character. Characters that grow, change, suffer, love, lose, etc. Those are the characters that people enjoy and want to see.
It depends. In comedies, character development can be shit.
Buffoonish characters in comedy, like Homer Simpson, Cosmo Kramer or Borat are better as a one note characters, and stereotypes. Any character growth ruins the humor.

You wouldn't enjoying watching LoGH then.

>can spend entire threads discussing the characterization of Reina or Kumiko
kill yourself

Why? Are you just angry that people disagree with you?

Some people actually are against character development. After all character development reduces the character's femininity in their eyes.

It's a buzzword thrown around by teenagers and immature adults who want to pretend that their Chinese cartoons are deep and mature entertainment for mature people like themselves, and thus they have a set of arbitrary standards anime must meet in the public eye in order to be considered such.

this desuitachifampai

Preconceived notions of what makes a character or story "good."

I have learned on Sup Forums that everyone just likes to use hyperbole.

Learn basic story structure, bud.

>You can spend entire threads discussing the characterization of Reina or Kumiko.
How fucking dumb are you if you have to spend entire thread to discuss a highscool anime girl?

The problem is retards that have no idea what they're talking about, character development in no way references to a change in the character during the story but rather to the expansion of its character.

Hey man, don't take away their safe haven to post KumikoXReina-fanfics and pics, or else, they'll have to think about reality and become depressed.

Stop arguing about the people behind an argument instead of the argument.

Autism.

You can spend threads talking about any character you fucking retard. Euphonium's full of flat walking trope characters besides Kumiko and Reina but the thing is they just aren't too developed, as characters they're just mediocre. Also, the character interaction is way too far from being realistic.

Have you watched the show? They're pretty much the deepest high school anime girls ever written. There's plenty to discuss

The people behind the argument are relevant to the argument since it's because of who they are why they deem this important. We're talking about a qualitative assessment of something that has no intrinsic value. Value is attributed to them by people and thus they're relevant.

>You can spend threads talking about any character you fucking retard.
Usually only waifu/husbando or lewd posting. It's rare to have characters interesting enough for longer, deeper discussion.

It's not just Kumiko and Reina either. Yuuko, Kaori, and Asuka are especially interesting

if there's no development, then it starts to get boring. it does not nessasarily mean the character has to change tho, just develop.

That depends on the show and the characters being focused on. A story driven show for example has to show even just the MC grow up throughout the story. A SoL show where nothing happens can not have character development, having one is just a bonus.

>Yuuko
What's interesting about her?
The wiki description is enough to descirbe her whole personality, I don't see what's there to discuss

To tell the truth my real motive is just to make stupid joke about character development.

Yet people still consistently misinterpret her as being a bitch, starting drama for no reason, and being inconsiderate to Reina and Sensei despite none of those things being true.

But that's true, just because she deeply respects certain person doesn't justify her being a cunt to everyone else

Hey look, you're having a discussion about her right now.

She's not being a cunt. In fact she's very humble toward Reina when asking her to give the part to Kaori. She has a very good reason to be suspicious of the situation, and she deals with it in what I think is a reasonable way. The only thing she could have done better is probably bring the issue up to Sensei in private so as to not paint him into a corner, but that's really it.

She wanted Reina to throw the audition
Who does that

>The only thing she could have done better
So the fact that she bitched out is completely normal and justified?

A person who wants their senpai to get the part. And it's not like she even tries to pressure or bully her into giving it up, she just asks. She doesn't even wait for an answer.
Yuuko doesn't realize how much pride Reina takes in her trumpet playing, and doesn't know that such a suggestion would offend her. Both of them end up realizing this and even make up in the end.

Isn't that fine too? Sometimes that''s the point. Changes in life are gradual. You might think you had a life changing experience, but then you'll fall back to old habits and go back to being a piece of shit.

The whole point of her development is that she became less of a btch, saying she wasn't the bitch before it is simply delusional.

No, it's not, there's really not enough focus on her to establish that at all. The point was just that she misunderstood the situation and made bad choices because of that.

Yes, the situation was suspicious.

>Yes, the situation was suspicious.
How?
How does bitching out is better way to settle things instead of simply talking it over like a normal person?

What kind of character development?

How bitching out *

She thought her friend had been robbed due to nepotism. I'm not saying her reaction wasn't a bit extreme, and that she couldn't have handled it better, but her actions are not unreasonable.

Character development is basically admitting the character was somehow wrong and then correcting his mistake. It's fine if you want to focus on the character but it's not necessary to have character development in manga like DBZ.

character development is pretty much what separates a good slice-of-life from a bad one in my opinion

I'm not saying it was unreasonable, just that people who call her bitch aren't wrong. There were many ways to solve this situation in much less agressive way, and it's only natural for people to react how they do because if it's not a bitchy way to settle things then I don't know how else do you call it.

How else would you solve the problem?

Character development is step one in learning how stories work. Lots of morons only get to step one.